Fleece/Wool during the day?

[deleted account] ( 11 moms have responded )

I know fleece and wool diapers are supposed to be wonderful for night diapering as they are superior at wicking the moisture away. What about during the daytime? I have read they are bulkier so people keep them for nights, but other than the bulk is there reason not to use them days? Are they really too bulky to move around in? Are they too hot?

Any input is appreciated! I am just getting started and am actually going to be having my diapers made by a friend, so am trying to figure out what the best materials to use are.



View replies by

Jennifer - posted on 07/13/2009




I use Baby Beehinds wool covers over their fitted diapers. I really like the wool! I will say that sometimes in the morning her pj is a little damp around the diaper area, because of the moisture wicking through the wool. But that has never happened during the day, even when she is super super wet. I bet if I used another insert or two at night that I could fix that, I just haven't tried yet.

Shanda - posted on 07/13/2009




I use longies or shorties (wool pants or shorts) as a part of an outfit (and as a diaper cover at the same time.) I've done the same with fleece pants. And I have friends that exclusively use natural fibers so all their covers are wool and it never seems to be a problem. (I just don't use wool all the time because of the cost-- I knit all my own longies and shorties and PUL is cheaper for covers otherwise.)

Joanne - posted on 07/12/2009




I just knitted my first wool soaker a couple weeks ago and I love it for many reasons. The one issue I hadn't thought of was that almost all of my daughters shirts are the kind that snap in the crotch, which don't work so well with the soaker.

Vilate - posted on 07/12/2009




AFTER! you don't lanolize until after. I know that some people wash before, but I figure I will wash before i lanolize so i don't do the pre wash. Also if they are really thin and you are woried about them you can felt them by throwing them in the wash on hot then drying them. only do it for a really thin sweater. some sweaters will felt alot and then be too thick to use for a soaker.

Most of the time I don't felt them. I have never had any probs. Good luck! :)

I hope you will post pics of them! :)

[deleted account]

Thanks, Vilate! Ok, I picked up some sweaters this weekend, all 100% wool. Do I need to do anything to prep the wool before sewing? I see the lanolizing instructions on your webwsite (thanks!) but don't know if that's before or after they are made.

Thanks again!

Vilate - posted on 07/09/2009




here is a link for a wool wrap


you could also use any diaper pattern just add a bit on all around.

I get my wool from thrift store sweaters. You need to check the wool content. It needs to be at least 80% and the other 20% needs to be a natural fiber, not a synthetic one k?

Good luck! I hope you have a great time.

[deleted account]

Thanks, everyone! Vilate, I would love to see the patterns. She is coming over tomorrow. I'm so excited to get started!

I am wanting to make a wool wrap diaper cover, not the soaker ones. What/where can I get the wool I need for that?


Vilate - posted on 07/08/2009




Well, sounds like we have some wool fans here huh? YEAH! So I have a web page taht has tons of info about wool and the types of wool covers you can check it out here.


I can also direct your friend to patterns on line that are great for making wool covers! :) just let me know if you are interested. K?

Kelly - posted on 07/07/2009




I use wool exclusively. It's not the bulky part...the prefold is. At night it's bulkier only because my daughter sleeps all night long so she wears a hemp liner and fleece liner in addition to the prefold.

Wool is incredibly breathable. It's why sheep don't die in the summer. While we were wool in the winter, there are no problems wearing them during the day...even the hottest days. The air is constantly flowing and keeping baby cool. I'll never use anything else!

Janet - posted on 07/07/2009




I love wool for everything! I love it so much that I decided to start a company and make my own. They are very trim, and can be covers, shorts or pants, that way I do not have to cover up my son's fluffy bum with other clothes.

Elizabeth - posted on 07/07/2009




The night-time bulk is the absorbant part not the wool. Wool shorties, skirties, longies, etc. are super cute so we wear them during the day and out and about as often as possible! Fleece *can be* bulky depending on the kind of fleece and how many layers it is. I only use 1 layer which works just as well as wool. Fleece is kinda hot but wool is defenitely not.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms