tomato allergy? but she loves them!

Nicole - posted on 04/15/2010 ( 5 moms have responded )

17

22

1

my girl LOVES tomatos, but she often breaks out on her face when she eats them. She is obsessed with them and no other reaction seems to happen. Is it possible that just the tomato juice gets on her face and her skin reacts from the juice/acid in the juice? I can't seem to break myself from feeding her tomatoes. But a friend of mine is allergic and told me her tongue swells when she eats them.



Help!

5 Comments

View replies by

User - posted on 07/24/2014

1

0

0

i have a 7 going on 8 year old girl...who is highly allergic to tomatoes. She cant eat them raw uncooked or cooked. She breaks out on her face as soon as she eats them. I thought i was the only parent going through this with a kid who could not have tomatoes. And now i have a 3 year old who cant have peanut oil and aloe.

I have had a hard time going to birthday parties because its an allergy that no one understand. When she get invites i have to call and have to say no tomatoes.

Ella - posted on 04/19/2010

105

8

22

My daughter just get red bumps around her mouth. But I also noticed it when we gave her ranch dressing. I just thought that the acidity from those two made her mouth breakout. If she got too much around her mouth for too long it would start to itch.

Courtney - posted on 04/17/2010

59

9

6

Do her cheeks get red? Or does she have hives that spread? My daughter is allergic to dairy and has a very clear reaction, she also gets red cheeks after eating tomato sauce. They are 2 completely different reactions, but it is always safest to check with the dr. Allergies can become worse with repeated exposure.

Ella - posted on 04/16/2010

105

8

22

My 2-yr old is the same way. She loves ketchup and spaghetti and lasagna and things but her mouth breaks out. I try and refrain from givin her those things but it doesnt work so I try and put cream or vasoline around her mouth before she eats those things. It helps just a little. Im gonna take her to the doctor soon.

Vicki - posted on 04/15/2010

675

30

112

Hmm, probably since she isn't having a fatal reaction, it is fine for now... But you might be making the allergy worse? You'll probably want to talk to a doctor about it. Have an allergy test done. It could be more of an intolerance that will lessen over time.



Have you ever seen that movie, Dr. Dolittle, I think it was..? There was a woman, deathly allergic to shellfish, who came in through emergency stating, "But I took it out of the shell." LOL. I am reminded of that.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms