Be forewarned...No longer expecting!

Amy - posted on 11/11/2010 ( 2 moms have responded )




Be forewarned, after your delivery if your instincts are telling you one thing and the nurses are telling you something different, question wether or not they are right!!! On Oct 25 I went in for a NST and an Ultrasound as I had been having contraction consistantly for about 9 days. NST went well my daughter was doing great despite all of the contractions. However the Ultrasound showed that my amniotic fluid was extremely low which meant that I was going to be delivering my baby that day! I was given the options of a c-section or an induction with the knowledge that due to the low amniotic fluid that the contractions might compress the umbilical cord and cause the baby to go into distress wich would result in a c-section. My SO and I still opted to try to do a vaginal delivery, I labored for about three hours when the predicted fetal distress started so the pitocin was turned off and I was prepped for surgery...not my number one choice but I knew that it was likely. My delivery went off without a hitch and despite having wanted a natural childbirth I was happy with how things went up to that point. Then it went bad from there. My baby had excessive fluid in her lungs and was rushed off to NICU for some O2, I was wheeled into the recovery room. I didn't get to hold my baby until 5 hours after delivery!!! As I had made it clear that I would be breast feeding my baby was not fed in that time before I got to see her. We started breastfeeding at that time and I was delighted! When I returned to my room I couldn't wait for the next time I would get to hold and feed my baby...wich didn't happen for another almost 4 hours!!! I kept asking the nurses, because I knew that newborns should be fed every 2-3 hours and they kept telling me she was sleeping! It went on like that well into the next day. By my daughters third day of life, I was a lot more mobile and was going to the nursery to feed her every 2 hours instead of waiting for the nurses to bring her but it was too late, she was VERY dehydrated, her O2 levels continued to be poor and she had started having trouble maintaining her body temp and was becoming Jaundiced. She had to be supplemented with a feeding tube and eventually had to have an IV. She was tested for infections and her lungs were xrayed multiple times. Eventually she was transfered to a much larger childrens hospital where she stayed in the NICU for 3 days. Ultimately nothing was ever found to be wrong. After the transfer we were put on an every 3 hour feeding schedule and her oxygen was able to come off. By the second day she was out of the warmer and in a normal crib although she had to be very bundled up. I do not believe it is a coincidence that as soon as the feeding schedule was fixed that she improved. I am furiouse that my daughter was put through so much un-needed stress when all she really needes was to be cared for by me! Please don't let something like this happen to you or your baby!


View replies by

Aicha - posted on 11/13/2010




congratulations on your birth sorry to hear the doctors and nurses didn't have a clue

Alexa - posted on 11/11/2010




Oh wow... Doctors and nurses dont always know best! I am so happy your daughter is okay.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms