Need help with troubled grandson, please

Beke - posted on 05/03/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




Obtained custody of 9 year old grandson this year. He was emotionally, verball and physically terrorized my his mother, my daughter. HIs mother is now in jail for trying to kill my husband when she tried to take her son away from us. Have protective order saying she cannot come within 500 ft of child or us once she is released. Have grandson in counseling but very slow going. Any suggestions on how to cope with a child with defiant behavior, not focusing at school, anger management issues?


Lucy - posted on 04/23/2013




Beke, you might consider counseling for yourself as well. It can be very helpful to have a neutral party to bounce your thoughts and emotions off of. It sounds as if this little boy has learned anger as a coping mechanism from his mom. Enlist friends and family, anyone you trust to support and uplift you. This is a big undertaking and you'll need a lot of support. As to coping with an angry child, you might agree with him that you are angry too, at his mom, at the situation, at seeing your precious grandson, whom you love very much, hurt so cruelly. It may help him if he feels that an adult feels his pain. Shoot for empathy, not sympathy. Don't feel sorry for him, just feel his pain along with him. I wish I could be more help. Wish you the very best.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms