Dr's Prescription Kills Boy

Katherine - posted on 06/20/2011 ( 19 moms have responded )

65,420

232

5195

A 12-year-old boy died because his doctor wrote a double prescription for the same medicine and the pharmacy that filled it didn’t catch the obvious mistake.

Phillipe Galette who suffered from depression, mood swings and aggressive behavior, was a patient of Dr. Marie Gisele St. Felix at the Queens Children’s Psychiatric Center in New York. After Dr. Felix accidentally wrote two prescriptions for different strengths of the same drug, Bupropion, Walgreens filled both without catching the error.

Phillipe’s mother followed the dosages prescribed on each bottle, the boy took so much of the drug that he overdosed, and died on the way to the hospital.

Pastor filed a lawsuit against the doctor and the pharmacy. Walgreens filled both prescriptions without questioning whether they were correct, the suit says.

Don’t the large pharmacies have computer programs that should have caught a double prescription? This is not the first time a prescription error has caused death, and unfortunately it won’t be the last, which makes it imperative that every parent double checks every medicine their child takes. While it’s ridiculous to think that a doctor and a pharmacist both missed the mistake, it’s obviously possible. It happened in this case and now a family is mourning a little boy.

http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/20...


*****************************************************************************************************************
Unreal. How could a doctor make such a terrible error? And honestly how could the mom not know she was giving him too much with two script bottles? Obviously the doctor and pharmacist are to blame, but I think the mother is too. What do you think?

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

Kate CP - posted on 06/20/2011

8,942

36

758

I kinda blame the mom for being stupid. I don't think she did it intentionally, but come on...TWO bottles *both* for Bupropion in different dosages? Any one with a brain would go "Hrm...that don't look right" and call the damn doctor. Then again, you'd think the stupid pharmacists would have caught it, too.

It's just a bunch of stupid people being stupid and it, of course, resulted in the death of a kid.

But this is all pointless to me anyway, as I have a serious issue with prescribing antidepressants to children.

19 Comments

View replies by

Kimber - posted on 06/21/2011

109

3

5

I think that this is sooo,sooooo sad i feel for the family of this little boy!!! I get all of our meds filled at walgreens,so this makes me a little nervous!!! Guess you just really have to pay att!!

Katherine - posted on 06/21/2011

65,420

232

5195

I know that the CVS by me has a pretty elaborate computer system that catches things. I also know the pharmacists would raise an eyebrow to something like this. They are pretty anal there. I've had to argue with them quite a bit lol.

Nikki - posted on 06/21/2011

401

37

35

Right. Everyone in this scernario had a chance to catch it and no one did, and this poor child payed for their mistakes

Katherine - posted on 06/21/2011

65,420

232

5195

No they don't always catch it. In fact apparently NO ONE catches it in some instances.

Nikki - posted on 06/21/2011

401

37

35

I wasn't suggesting that you didn't know this. It just isn't common knowledge for most people. A lot of people think that if you have two scripts of the same name filled, the insurance will catch it. But it doesn't

Katherine - posted on 06/21/2011

65,420

232

5195

I know that my daughter had a double script filled at CVS (I just remembered this) and it was just recently. One doctor prescribed Keflex for an allergic reaction to a bite. I took her to another doctor because the swelling wasn't going down. I thought the first doc put her on penicillin so the second doc put her on Keflex to, and it WAS a different dosage. When I went to pick up the prescription they told me I had just picked it up. I argued until they explained to me what had happened.
Now I would have stopped the other med and started the new one anyways, but the point is, is that they caught it.

Nikki - posted on 06/21/2011

401

37

35

1. The doctor should have explained this better. Was the child to start on the lower dose and then move to the higher dosage after a set period of time?

2. The pharmacy should have caught this. A pharmacist is supposed to verify and explain alldrug interactions before filling and signing off on the perscription.

3. How did the mother not notice the same name of medication on the bottles? Did she not bother to read the info for side effects and warnings before giving this to her child?

This situation could have been avoided in mwny ways before the child wound up in this mess. The blame lies with all adults in this scenario. The doctor, the pharmacist, and, yes, even the mother as much as it pins me to say it. The blame can't be place on any one individual.

Also, this would have slipped past insurance safeguards because it was different strength meds. and some times to get the correct dosage daily two different dose scripts are written.

[deleted account]

Sometimes we just do not think.Playing what if etc won't change the fact this young boy is gone.I feel for all who are left with the loss to deal with.I hope they don't torture themselves playing what if etc.As it is not good for anyone on top of grieving.:-( sad story.

[deleted account]

That's awful.So heartbreaking.
Doctors are human to.Unfortunately these things happen.I don't think its okay but it happens.
My partner got a prescription and took it.He was talking to me one minute and gone the next.I had a bad feeling he wasn't just asleep..it turns out the meds were not meant to be given to asthma suffers.He had in fact passed out.We took him back and the doctor was like "oh sorry".We showed him very clearly we were not happy.A human mistake fine, but having a passive attitude like he didn't care was not okay.I am just so grateful it had a good ending and not like this poor boys ending.My thoughts are with his family.

Becky - posted on 06/20/2011

2,892

44

93

I think they all share some of the blame. The doctor made a stupid mistake, the pharmacy should've caught it, and the mother should have questioned why she was giving her son 2 doses of the same drug.

Amber - posted on 06/20/2011

1,909

13

145

I wonder if the doctor wrote it out, realized she put the wrong dosage, then wrote a corrected one and they got both by accident?
I'm not making excuses for her...but that's the only way that it would make sense for her to write out two similar prescriptions for one patient in the same visit.

As a mother, I ALWAYS research what's going into my kids body. I don't even take his dad's word for it(much to his annoyance)...and his dad is usually the one prescribing it.

I really think that it's a tragic mistake, but I too think that suing isn't a good idea. People wonder why medical care is so expensive? It's because people are sue happy.
It's why you pay a couple dollars for a band-aid instead of a few cents, because we're paying for multi-million dollar malpractice insurance.

If they only sued for medical costs and funeral costs, that would be one thing. But everybody wants millions of dollars, and all that does is drive already expensive health care up higher.

[deleted account]

Meh, we live in a sue happy world. It's annoying. I think the doctor needs to be investigated and there needs to be better procedures in place to prevent this type of thing but suing them, unless they were deliberately negligent, is just silly in my opinion.

Rosie - posted on 06/20/2011

8,657

30

321

um, it'll help pay to bury her child, and for his medical bills he wouldn't of acquired but for their negligence.

Katherine - posted on 06/20/2011

65,420

232

5195

True, Dana. But that's what people do when they get mad-they get even.

[deleted account]

Doctor's are human. They're not infallible.

This is a tragic and unfortunate incident. I'm not sure how suing is going to make grieving any easier?

Rosie - posted on 06/20/2011

8,657

30

321

i don't blame the mother. the doctor and the pharmacy are the ones at fault. she's just giving what she was told to. sure, one might question the pills looking exactly the same, but honestly, i think i would probably brush it off as a coincidence.

Lacye - posted on 06/20/2011

2,011

31

164

I don't know if the mother could be blamed. Some people just don't know what the different perscriptions are and they don't look up online to see what they are and don't ask the doctor what they are.

But it is pretty horrible for the doctor to make this kind of mistake. You would think they would watch that carefully.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms