Emergency Social Services

Jenny - posted on 07/14/2010 ( 10 moms have responded )




I read a comment recently that BC was the only province in Canada to provide ESS (Emergency Social Services). It is emergency funding for the first 72 hours after a catastrophe. We have alot of wild fires in my area and a few years ago had 30,000 people evacuated from my city. Picture this looming over your city http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/vv_... http://www.summitpost.org/image/200409/K... I watched that fire for weeks burning around me. People were immediately put up in hotels and given shopping and meal cards for neccessities.

Does your area have similar programs?

This conversation has been closed to further comments


View replies by

Meghan - posted on 07/22/2010




LOL, side note...we where on alert but not evacuated thank Goodness! Because of the 2003 fire and the one we had last year (just about a 2 minite drive from the one Dana was refuring too) they where right on this one! It's scary for sure, but I am really glad that they have an ESS and properly trained firefighters...I think alot of the boys that work at the Mill have training too

Danielle - posted on 07/22/2010




Well we have Ontario Works in Ontario (welfare) and almost any one is eligible every couple of years for one time emergency assistance.

Jenny - posted on 07/15/2010




There are a few houses still evacuated in Peachland so if she was on alert she may be one. I forget she was my neighbour, thanks for the reminder. The two new fires today are in the same spot as the big one in 2003, Okanagan Mountain Park.

[deleted account]

Thanks Jenny....I'm in Abbotsford but all our relatives are in the Okanagan and Revelstoke and dealing with some fires....definitely one thing I don't miss about Peachland.

I haven't talked to Meghan Anger in a couple days and I'm beginning to wonder if they've evacuated her from Peachland...there was talk of it a couple days ago....she was on alert! Hmmm?

Jenny - posted on 07/15/2010




That's kinda scary. We had two more fires pop in city limits just today. It's nice to know within hours every resident would be assigned help regardless of need. The program is actually staffed by volunteers but with public money. I beleive it's important to have emergency plans in place in your community. It's worth looking into.

[deleted account]

There is also UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) that is a major help in both National and International disasters. They are run by the Methodist Church and they are usually at disaster sites even beofre the Red Cross or any government agency :)

I don't know of any government agency in my area though, and UMCOR is only for "disasters" (like a huge fire or the Hatit earthquake - they are also still in Louisianna for Hurricane Katrina related stuff).

Sharon - posted on 07/15/2010




No. The Red Cross does that sort of thing and there are a variety of programs to help in an emergency situation.

Usually in the case of a home fire. Catholic Community Services and the Red Cross will help with getting new furniture, clothes, a place to stay etc.

Neither are government funded although they might get funds via various federal grants.

Katherine - posted on 07/15/2010




Kind of. They are not well funded though. It's takes a lot to get into the program, the case managers are over-worked and have too many case loads so they're insensitive to people's needs. I know they are trying to rectify that.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms