Me DO IT!

Susan - posted on 07/22/2010 ( 4 moms have responded )

187

41

56

Ok, I am going crazy and about to check myself in to a crazy house soon. All I hear lately from DS is "Me Do It", but then he wont do it, or it takes 1 hour to do it. And if you help him at all, he flips out and has to start all over again. This is not a fun process when trying to get out the door for daycare and work. But now it is everything and he will meltdown (last night it was 45 minutes because I turned off the light switch in my room ). I let him 'Do It' most of the time, I want him to learn to do things, but there are time I have to 'do it'.

What are some suggestions? I try to explain that mommy has to do things some of the time (doesn't work). And I have tried to just let him pitch his fit and get over it, which he will do, but then it will just start all over again at the next thing.

HELP!

4 Comments

View replies by

Nicole - posted on 01/31/2011

79

18

14

Wow and I thought my son was the only one who said "Me Do It"! Usually I let him do it but there are times when I have to and I very firmly tell him "No, it is Mommy's Turn" and I do it. If he pitches too much of a fit I ask if he is tired and wants to take a nap because cranky babies take naps and that usually snaps him out of the fit. Another popular phrase is "My turn" that is a great one.

Jamie - posted on 08/19/2010

90

26

8

My daughters favorite words sometimes, but when shes lazy she says You do it mommy! lol I dont take over if im in a hurry I just ask if she needs help, Most of the time shell say ya n let me help her dress or put her shoes on or jacket what ever shes having trouble with. I wont force my help otherwise its a freakout on her part lol Offer assistance and if they just cant figure it out after say 3 tries go ahead n do it, a lil freakout for assistance is better than 30 mins of them freaking out because they are stuck! lol It helps if you start getting ready like an hour or 2 before you actually have to be out the door, gives them time to do it and encurage them whether or not they actually did it right, make sure they know they did a good job trying. Hope this helps!

Kelly - posted on 07/26/2010

131

7

18

It's definitely the age for it, my son is exactly. It sometimes helps when I say, "yes you're doing it. Mummy is just helping." But it's never a guarantee and certainly not when he's tired. The negative of it is now he always wants to "I help" me when I'm doing things.

Shannon - posted on 07/25/2010

2

44

1

Oh the fabulous "me do it" or "my got it", these are two of my daughter's favorite sayings. She is so incredibly independent and also has meltdowns when Mommy does it instead.

I have found that if I continually tell her that Mommy has to do it right now because we are in a hurry, she will accept this explanation about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time she has a meltdown regardless. When the meltdown ensues, I tell her that behavior isn't acceptable and I ignore her. This ends it pretty quickly.

Unfortunately while not ideal, I have found this is what works for my 2 1/2yr old. It's an independence phase they all go through, some are just more stubborn than others. :)

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms