Vomiting Spells. . . Help!

Carryn - posted on 04/25/2009 ( 5 moms have responded )

4

6

0

After beginning baby food solids at about 5-6 months old my daughter started having vomiting spells every two weeks or so. The first time I chalked it up as the flu, but when it happened again two weeks later I began questioning the true cause. I've called the doctor during each episode and taken her in. First they thought the flu as well, then they said maybe acid reflux. They started her in Prevacid (an antaicd). It continued to happen, so they ruled out the acid reflux. I think that I've finally found a connection. . . sweet potatoes! It seem that recently it has only happened after eating sweet potatoes. I know, I sounds crazy. I cannot remember back as far as when in began and what she ate everyday. I do know that when she first started sweet potatoes she did not experience problems. Now she resists all vegetables. I think she's also made the connection that vegetables= pucking! Is this possible at 8 1/2 months? Does anyone else have food difficulties or any suggestions? I did tell my sweet potato theory to the doctors and they agree that it could be an intolerance. I feel helpless and I'm really anxious when trying new foods.

5 Comments

View replies by

Darlajean - posted on 08/09/2009

203

42

27

www.saddleup4healthylife.com It help all my childern and me. Read everything on the web-site and listern to the Video. Dr. William Sears, MD FRCP is wonderful Pediation. Their are so many Doctors that support The Childerns Research Foundation, it Blessed us.

Laurie - posted on 05/02/2009

48

8

10

Hi- My 4 year old son has a severe food hypersensitvity to cows milk, his intolerance is called FPIES. An FPIES reaction is a delayed response to food protein with vomitting diarrehea, stomach cramping, many children have such a severe reaction that they go into shock and possible sepsis from dehydration, most severe reaction require ER visit but many just suffer from intestional discomfort. The reaction can be anywhere from 2 hours to 24 hours after ingestion. Most common FPIES reactions are to cows milk, soy, wheat, corn, grains, however I am a member of some FPIES support groups for mothers of FPIES children and I have heard of children having a reaction to sweet potatoes. FPIES is a hypersensitivity and like all intolerance's it will not show up as a reaction on an allergy test! Why because an allergic reaction is IEG reaction or also called a histamine reaction where the body releases histamine which causes the symptoms, an intolerance or a hypersensitivity is a NonIEG reaction, so no histamine is released it is simply the bodies immune system attaching the foreign food protein. The good news is that a food intolerance or hypersenstivity is children can be outgrown when they stay away from the culprit food for a long period of time. The bad news is the only way to test if a child has outgrown it is a food challenge, where you give them the culprit food and watch for a reaction!
My best advice would be to simply stay away from sweet potatoes for at least 1 year and keep a journal of if it is still happening with other veggies. I don't know if its possible that she could make the connection to veggies and just doesn't like them, however it is possible that if she had a real reaction to sweet potatoes and then you try to feed her another her intestine may still be recovering from the tramatic reaction and need a few days to heal! Good Luck!

Tammy - posted on 04/25/2009

22

26

5

We have allergies in our house and I will tell you that my one daughter had colic and reflux. Zantac and Prevacid were necessary. My son was also a victim of this. I think it was allergies all along. I would keep a food diary and avoid sweet potatoes. An elimination diet would be a great thing for you to try. Do some research to see if there are other foods in the same family and avoid those until your little one is older. I know white potatoes and sweet potatoes are not related, but if you are looking for an orange vegetable for the nutrition then you may have to try something else. 8 1/2 months old is not young to detect allergies....yes maybe to some medical professionals, but I have lived this myself when I was young and with my own kids. We waited to start foods until 8 months with my son because they said the longer we could wait the better.



Here are our allergies/intolerances so you know you are in good company......Milk (all three), Gluten (all three), Eggs (dd #2), Cinnamon (hives, ds), Peanuts (just a rash, ds). We also avoid things with high fructose corn syrup and things like MSG etc.....food dyes, preservatives etc. It is a meal planning nightmare, but worth it to keep the kids healthy.



By the way, I am a NP so this has helped me with all my searching for answers but mostly living it has been the best teacher. I believe if you avoid the offending foods, your child may not always need medication. Also as the GI tract matures, reflux can improve. One very helpful thing we do with our children is we get probiotics for our children which improves reflux......Infants and young children need Bifidus (Acidophilus is needed when they are older, not now). Must be refrigerated and should be spaced 2 hours from antibiotics. (This is my disclaimer.....this is general information, but I am in no way telling you that you should do this, you should decide this in conjunction with your own pediatrician)......okay, so let me know what questions you have, if I can help and best wishes in finding your happy baby again!

Tammy - posted on 04/25/2009

22

26

5

We have allergies in our house and I will tell you that my one daughter had colic and reflux. Zantac and Prevacid were necessary. My son was also a victim of this. I think it was allergies all along. I would keep a food diary and avoid sweet potatoes. An elimination diet would be a great thing for you to try. Do some research to see if there are other foods in the same family and avoid those until your little one is older. I know white potatoes and sweet potatoes are not related, but if you are looking for an orange vegetable for the nutrition then you may have to try something else. 8 1/2 months old is not young to detect allergies....yes maybe to some medical professionals, but I have lived this myself when I was young and with my own kids. We waited to start foods until 8 months with my son because they said the longer we could wait the better.



Here are our allergies/intolerances so you know you are in good company......Milk (all three), Gluten (all three), Eggs (dd #2), Cinnamon (hives, ds), Peanuts (just a rash, ds). We also avoid things with high fructose corn syrup and things like MSG etc.....food dyes, preservatives etc. It is a meal planning nightmare, but worth it to keep the kids healthy.



By the way, I am a NP so this has helped me with all my searching for answers but mostly living it has been the best teacher. I believe if you avoid the offending foods, your child may not always need medication. Also as the GI tract matures, reflux can improve. One very helpful thing we do with our children is we get probiotics for our children which improves reflux......Infants and young children need Bifidus (Acidophilus is needed when they are older, not now). Must be refrigerated and should be spaced 2 hours from antibiotics. (This is my disclaimer.....this is general information, but I am in no way telling you that you should do this, you should decide this in conjunction with your own pediatrician)......okay, so let me know what questions you have, if I can help and best wishes in finding your happy baby again!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms