The Circle of Moms site will be discontinued on March 1st, 2020. Head to POPSUGAR Family's Facebook page for more community discussions.

Let's Go >>

Child Support?

[deleted account] ( 8 moms have responded )

Does anyone know anything about child support orders? My husband pays for his 2 kids. They used to live about an hour away, and we barely got our every other weekend visits with them. About 3 months ago they moved to the same town we live in and since then their mom has called us every weekend asking if we want to take the kids. We, of course, take them, but now he wants to know if he can change his order to at least decrease the amount he is paying since we have them more. We eventually want to get custody of them, but would settle for a lower payment right now.


Buffy - posted on 01/01/2011




If you filed with the state Office of Atty General, then it would be good to call them. and they can set things up for you to have a modification to the custody/child support order. make sure that you keep documentation (hand written is best. I was told by a lawyer that anything off the computer is not reliable and if you send pmt by check, then you'll need the actual returned check not the copy off the internet) of how often the kids are with you and how you support them. the oag may set up a mediation for you, but if you cant come to terms, then you might need to hire a lawyer. make a check list of questions and be sure to write down who answered them and what they advised... ie: oag said to do blablabla on such date. good luck


View replies by

Chesnie - posted on 03/30/2011




I feel the same way cuz when the kids are there extra days not budgeted in the child support, it gets costly. It costs money to feed the children and when your giving money to the other party when they don't have the children it's not quite fair. I have the same issue with my hubby, when we have the 2 boys for 2 weeks during one month it's not fair the ex still gets the same amount to do whatever she wants with the money instead of it going towards the intended use. It's costly. The boys eat a ton of food and we can't afford all that extra food and pay her. It should be pay the ex half since she only has them half the month. Sounds like she maybe wants to go out/party every weekend since she now has that option. That's never fair either sorry I'm not much help

Marnie - posted on 03/02/2011




I know here in ontario it does depend on how long you have your children during the month. If you have them over 40 percent of the decreases substancially as you are incurring the costs of feeding and sheltering your children. Just make sense really:) some of the child support laws here however dont and Im not sure why they exist and who made them to begin with.hope it all works out for you:)

Christina - posted on 02/06/2011




It is going to be hard to get custody when you only get the kids every weekend to every other weekend. Sounds like the mom is being supportive of her children having a good relationship with your husband. And why would you want to take the kids away from their mom? I understand 50/50 because both parents have equal rights to their child.

Tammy - posted on 01/26/2011




I would be really careful and consider wether you really want to do that even if it is possible if you really want to eventually gain custody. It could easily get twisted into, they don't want custody, they don't care about the children they just care about the money. Look, when they were given the benefit of seeing the children an extra 4 days a month, the first thing they did was concern themselves with reducing child support, not enjoying the extra time given to them.

Aletha - posted on 12/30/2010




It definately depends on the state you live in. In Oregon you can only modify and order every 2 years unless there is a substantial change in circumstance (which would be your husband having another baby, the ex having another, getting married, or the children actually physically already be living with you, etc.) I would check your State's website and/or call the family resource line at the courthouse where the support order is filed.

Lindsey - posted on 12/28/2010




im sure it has to do with the state you live in. you can call your court house child support / domestic things like that vary from state to state

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms