35 weeks pregnant, & horrible toothache!!!

Patrice - posted on 04/29/2009 ( 7 moms have responded )




My dentist refuses to fix my fillings that previous dentist botched. Needless to say, Im miserable!! I havent been able to chew on the left side of my mouth since November, & in the beginning the pain would come and go. I could take one tylenol a day, and the pain would be gone. Now, im up to atleast 8! Plus Anbesol & Orajel maximum strength only work for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. & if I dont take more pills, i cant eat & im miserable. Ive lost 7lbs since i went to the OB a week and a half ago. Even though I told my dentist all of this, she still wont do anything!! What should I do? I dont want to keep loosing weight, but at the same time, I dont want to keep taking all the pills. I figure it cant be good for my baby. My doctor said it was fine, as long as I take the recommended dosage, but sometimes I need more. If I dont take them, I cant eat. Im confused!! Please, if you have any remedies or suggestions, help me!!


Richain - posted on 04/29/2009




I cracked a tooth and lost part of a tooth with a fillig over the Christmas holidays. I have been cheewing on the right side of my mouth for so long now, but I havent had near the pain you have. My OB said if I could wiat until the baby was born, then to do so. The dentist said that she could do xrays on a new type of machine that wouldnt harm the baby, but couldnt do anything for me in the way of pain management i she did any work. Basically they cant give me the proper (large enough) dose of pain meds and numbing meds to extract the two teeth and do repairs without messing with the baby. They said I could be extremely uncomfortable during the work and that there is no guarantee that the meds would help. In other words, if I could wait it out to do so. I am waiting...but she did check to see that I had no nerves exposed so that has helped. I started with headaches recently due to the tooth problems, but they have been managable and I only have another week or so to go. Best of luck to you. I would definitely get a second or possibly third opinion but check with your OB. Mine didnt want to do the paperwork stating that the dentist was not responsible for any harm to the baby during the procedure...and since my OB wouldnt be at the appt she didnt wanted me to wait.

Keela - posted on 04/29/2009




I wouldget another dentist. Since becomingpregnant I have went 3x's and had a root canel with permission form my OB. Infections are bad, and the medicication wassafe.The only thing was x rays were a no.


View replies by

Jessica - posted on 04/29/2009




they allowed xrays for me, I had a root canal too- with the xrays they just put the lead vest over my belly- times two! they doubled up. My OB okayed it. I would urge you to try the antibiotics- I normally say "no" to them unless I'm positive I need them, but in this case, it could just keep getting worse, and thus the pain will get worse, too...once again, good luck!

Jessica - posted on 04/29/2009




I agree- find another dentist...I had a tooth break a little earlier in this pregnancy (around 28 weeks I think?) and it was very painful, and I also dealt with a nasty toothache for a couple of weeks...they gave me Keflex (sp?) which is an antibiotic, and it worked wonders...maybe ask your OB if he or she would be willing to prescribe you an antibiotic in case there's some infection going on there, too. And find another dentist, for sure! You don't want the misery from your tooth clouding the joy of bringing a child into the world!!! :) Good luck!

Rebekah - posted on 04/29/2009




Yeah, I'd say time for a new dentist. You can have fillings filled when you're pregnant (I did during my first pregnancy). In fact, I had my wisdom tooth taken out when I was pregnant too. Dental work is usually not a concern during pregnancy, sounds like your dentist needs to be a bit more informed.

Brenda - posted on 04/29/2009




I'd find another dentist. I'm surprised that he isn't worried about an absess, which is far worse than getting it treated. I'd call around and find another dentist and tell them you're 35 weeks. Call your OB and ask them for a referral, actually. They might know a dentist that would be willing to work on a pregnant woman. Sounds like your dentist is afraid to do anything.

Rachel - posted on 04/29/2009




Could you get a second opinion from another dentist and see if they have a safe way of repairing the fillings or at least any treatments to help with the pain?

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms