child support

Kaitlin - posted on 01/20/2010 ( 3 moms have responded )




my daughter is two and half her dad has been in and out of her life he has not been around the past 5 months and has made terrible unbelievable excuses i found out on facebook of all places that he is engaged having another baby and moving half way across the country coincidentally they started dating right around the time he disappeared with all those crappy excuses. i struggled for a long time deciding wether i wanted him in her life or not but didnt feel like i should have to fight for him to be in it if he loved her he would be there even though it breaks my heart eery time she asks for him I had just recently finally gotten to a point of being strong and being ok with him not being in her life and today after 5 months he texts me asking when he can see her I am completely done with him and pissed off and would like to get child support but i dont the answers to most of the questions on the cs application and he is not on her birth certificate can anyone help me out ?


View replies by

Corrine - posted on 01/21/2010




Child support issues
Between: Kaitlin, You

Hey Kaitlin, It sounds like you weren't married prior to the birth of your child, and the fathers name is not on the birth certificate--that's okay. Depending where you live--you can file a petition in either Juvenile court or Child support service to "establish paternity". The allege father will be summons to come in and submit to a swab DNA testing. You both will be notified of the results, then another petition/order from the court will make you both provide income level, and at that time the percentage of support will then be deducted from his wages, sent to Child support enforcement agency and disbursed to the custodial parent.
This process will take a few months--so my advice is get started immediately. The father also has the right to petition the court for visitation rights, which is standard-- in the long run it's so much better having the father as part of the childs upbringing, you may not see it now, but it will benefit you and the child in the future. Hope this helps you Kaitlin---Best of luck to you. Corrine

Jenny - posted on 01/21/2010




Wow, first of all I am REALLY sorry. I know it's a pain! The thing about child support, you need to make a final decision on whether or not you want the father in your childs life. If a father is paying child support, he will more than likely receive some visitation rights. When you get child support involved, the courts get involved. :( The thing about him not being on the birth certificate, it will be a long process, you'll have to go to your local child support agency and ask for the correct papers but a paternity test will have to be established. Or if one is already established, they will just use that. I'm really sorry about the dad not being around for so long, my son's father left last year for the army and is in Germany so I can sort of relate to that. As for not knowing the questions, child support (there should be a number) should be able to help you out with that. As long as you know the address you should be fine! I hope this helps at least a little. Good luck to you!

Ashley - posted on 01/20/2010




wow i wish i could help but im going throught the same thing with my sons dad even though he has been there since our son was born since my family and him dont get along he wants nothing to do with his son and our son is almost 5 months. sorry hun wish i could help i know and completely understand how u feel. i hope everything works out for both u and ur daughter.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms