Looking for dr in nebraska area for celiac?

Heather - posted on 11/30/2009 ( 2 moms have responded )




Anyone know of a good dr in the nebraska area to help my toddler diagnose celiac? any help or ideas welcome.


View replies by

Emily - posted on 02/14/2010




We took my daughter to Children's Hospital - but found out that our pediatrician was able to order a regular blood test to see if the antibodies for the allergy were there. There is no way that I know of to have the positive celiac unless the biopsy/scope the intestines to see if the celia are damaged. But a regular blood test should show if you need to go another step. Main thing is - don't change the diet before the test - it is testing for the antibodies fighting the gluten/wheat allergen in the system. If you keep your child off of wheat for a week and then test - it won't show or be accurate.

The other thing is what my own doctor said - if you suspect an allergy, change the diet - and see a positive change....and then restart the suspected food and health/bowels/etc nosedive....you can pretty much figure you have a problem so spending money or doing intrusive scopes to prove it - can be traumatizing and unnecessary. That last suggestion was more for an adult who can more readily track and gauge how they're feeling though...

Abbie - posted on 01/05/2010




I live in Lincoln and was diagnosed by Dr. Hernicek (not positive on the spelling). He is a gastroentologist here in town--his office is near 48th and R (behind the Target on 48th and O if you're familiar with the area). If you can't find him let me know and I'll look up the specific information for you. I'm sure if you google it you'll find him. Good Luck!! :)

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms