The Circle of Moms site will be discontinued on March 1st, 2020. Head to POPSUGAR Family's Facebook page for more community discussions.

Let's Go >>

I need information on how to get help financially for home care for my disabled daughter....

Cinda - posted on 01/30/2010 ( 4 moms have responded )




I work and have been trying to get home care for my daughter but financially I can't afford it. Right now we just try to rotate her around to relatives and things of that sort, but I need someone to be able to come to my home and take care of her so she doesnt have to do that. Is there some programs out there that will help with the financial aspects of this? I have been searching and calling just about everywhere I could find in telephone books and the internet....anyone know how to do this? Please let me know


Heather - posted on 01/30/2010




We live in Mass. Through the state medicaid program, we qualify for the Personal Care Assistance program that the state pays for. We get it through the local home care agency for the county. They sent a nurse out to do an assessment, then submit the request to Masshealth who usually cuts the hours. Then we have to interview and hire our own aides. I recommend a background check. We fill out timecards and fax them 2x/mth. Hope this helps! Hopefully you have state insurance.


View replies by

[deleted account]

call your local health and human services department well thats what it is called in TX. i work for an agency here in houston taking care of my sister who has epilepsy. there are plenty of services out there you just have to find them and apply. good luck with it all.

[deleted account]

My daughter was approved for a program here in NC similar to the ones the other moms are talking about. It is the Caps program. It is also through the state. I enrolled at the department of social services.

Donna - posted on 02/03/2010




Hi, each state has a medicaid waiver type program. It has a different type name in each state. Some states have a very long waiting list. But some also have many different forms, such as in Indiana you can get some medical waiver's for children and adults that have medical needs. So you could probably fall in this area if you needed help. But I"m not sure if they let you use it for when you work.

Also its according to how much money you make but there are also some federal grants that states usually have for day care. What I would do call the medicaid office
and ask were you can get this kind of information. They usually have home base centers, and day care centers. But sometimes you can also get vouchers for someone to come to your house.


Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms