The long road to true joy!

Jen - posted on 04/04/2009 ( 1 mom has responded )




First, let me say that you mom's are a real inspiration. Your stories can really offer hope to so many out there that are going through what you have already been through.

So it here is my story.

I had my 1st DD @ 41 weeks. The last 3 months I was on bedrest I sprained my lower back.

3 years later, pregnant with #2 a DS. Jacob was born at 31 1/2 weeks and stopped growing around 29 weeks. I gained roughly 6-12 lbs (gained then lost).

It was a rough and tough road.

After DD, I had a few surgeries on my back, took 1 year for me to learn how to walk again. Dr.'s said no more babies, back will not be able to handle the weight. sweet Jacob was born early. Dr.'s knew he would have problems guessed his weight to be about 3 lbs...I had weekly 2x a week U/S for 4 weeks, he just wasn't growning.

They forced labor. Prepared us for a long NICU stay, small baby...

Well....while they were correct about some things, they were not correct about all things.

Jacob was 5 lbs at birth...we stayed 2 extra days in the hospital. Came home. Now in a week he did lose 2 lbs, but we expected that to happen.

He was on maintance meds for 6 months and house bound until Oct-May due to RSV...

DD was in the hospital due to RSV for a week when she was 1 month.

Jacob was a slow grower, never met any milestones. When he was 4 months we find out I'm pregnant with DS #3, again Dr. said it was not a good thing. My body was breaking down, my bones and back were not strong enough to handle another pregnancy.

So...Jacob....on 4-5 different meds, on a breathing machine 4x daily. Turns out he was hearing impaired. We finally get the offical DX at 2 y/o...he can't hear, 27 double ear infections, meds do not work, not thriving, DX with Classic Autism....the list goes on and on....

In the mean time I gave birth to DS #3....a few weeks early, but nothing major, he was healthy.

Anyhow....Jacob had all the threapy for 2 1/2 years, went on to SPED pre school and had a few surgeries for his hearing. He said I love you finally at 3 y/o and has said it everyday since. My special boy is so wonderful.

By the time #3 was 1 year he had caught up to his brother in size and moved past him in milestones. It was very difficult on our family. Support system wasn't real supportive, the in-laws just didn't understand and was in denile so to speak. It hurt, DH and I along with some wonderful friends were on our own.

Guess what......we did it. Now it wasn't easy by any was the most rewarding, heartwreaching 3 years of my life.

Present time---I have 3 of the most wonder children in the world. I can't imagine what I did before them as those memories are long gone.

The struggles are so worth the prize in the end. As I sit here typing this out, I hear Jacob sing while swinging on the swing with his sister and brother.

I look back at what the Dr.'s said he would never be, things he would never do, words he would never say....Boy, were they wrong.

He is the poster boy for don't aways take to heart what Dr.'s say will happen or won't happen.

While we still have a few things we work would never know he came from such tough beginnings.

I couldn't be happier and so happy that I went on to have more children. I can't imagine my life without my 2 other blessings.....

Thanks you for letting me share....


Liz - posted on 04/04/2009




wow, that's an amazing story.  I know what you mean about not being able to imagine life without kids.  I am a first time mom to a set of almost 10 month old boy/ girl twins.

The duration of the pregnancy was normal, up until about the last three weeks. At about week thirty I thought I was having contractions, went in to the hospital only to find out it was just ligiment pains.  I went in the weekend after because I was starting to have contractions. They gave me medicine to stop the contractions and told me to take it easy. The weekend after that, on the day of the baby shower  my water broke, at 33 weeks, 6 days.

Now it being my first pregnancy, I didn't know what happened at first, but once I did, I woke my hubby up and we quickly got ready to go to the hospital at 5:45 in the morning. Now the hospital is only about five minutes from the house and by the time we got there and i was in the room and getting checked over, I was already 100% effaced and 5 cm dialated. The problem being? My daughter was ready to come out, but my son was breeched side ways. So they opted for an emergancy c-section. Everything happened so quickly, and by 7:53 that morning both my twins were born.

My son was born with underdeveloped lungs, and had to be rushed away right away. I wasn't able to see him until a day later, and when I did he was hooked up to a resperator.My daughter I was able to say hi to and give her a kiss before she was rushed away.  My son was born at 4 pounds 10 ounces, eighteen inches long.  My daughter at 3 pounds 12 ounces 17 inches long.

After three days, I was able to come home, and it was one of the hardest things ever leaving my twins there. I think I over did it during that time, and my recovery took longer because I was there at least once if not twice a day.

Eight long days after they were born my son was able to come home at a discharge weight of four pounds 8 ounces.  Four more long days would go past, going between taking care of our son, and seeing our daughter in the hospital.  Twelve days after they were born she was finally released at a discharge weight of 4 pounds 1 ounce.

Presently, the only effects of their six week early entrance into the world is the fact when they get sick my son gets hit harder with it, and he might possibly have asthma, which he will be tested for when he gets older.  As for my daughter, she has glasses.  Both are very minor problems, and I am thankful because I know it could be so much worse.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms