Applying for full custody?

Elizabeth - posted on 06/01/2009 ( 9 moms have responded )




Hello! My name is Elizabeth, I dont know if u will b able to help me. But ok where do I start. I have a 19 month old daughter her real father has not met her at all and yes he knows she is born. He lives in a different State. After she was born I got my own place and haven't heard from him NOTHING. I dont mind really his a prick but I wanna apply for full custody but I dont kno as I honestly I dont kno where her father is actully liveing. I would love to apply for full coustdy but just the thought is enough. As the partner I am with now well my daughter thinks he is her daddy she loves him so much she a daddys girl and dont wanna break that bond. Please anyone any advice even if not much would be a great help? Thanks! Elizabeth


Kelly - posted on 06/01/2009




If you do decide to seek full custody you need to speak with a lawyer... find out what all the possibilities are. If you think the biological father will sign over custody easily the lawyer can help you will all the proper paperwork... Once it's signed and you have full custody your parter now would have an opperturnity to adopt her ... this would mean that if the unthinkable happens he would automatically have all the right and responsibilities of a biological parent. Best luck...


View replies by

Juliet - posted on 08/12/2009




I would do it. There are different options of things to do to track the father down or if you know what state he is in you can have the court stuff posted in the paper. Also I would at the same time make sure his rights are taken away from him because down the road if your husband or boyfriend whatever wants to adopt her then that is one less thing you will have to deal with at that time.

Betty - posted on 08/09/2009




It's just a legal document. If he's out of the picture then you should leave it alone. Maybe if you sew for child support he will sign away his rights but it might just cause him to want to start being a dad which is exactly what you don't want.

Lyndsay - posted on 08/09/2009




I think that you should just let it be. He's not harassing you or anything, or even wanting to be involved at all, so why disturb the waters?

Jenelle - posted on 08/09/2009




hay ladies i am in a coustdy now i hate it going to court and thay keep it off for a next date well my son lives with the guy now. left him when i left the guy i didnt have a job so i told him when hes 5yr i wil take him he said yes my son was 3yr old now he said that he cant do that so i took him to court and he wants coustdy too but the thing is i dont know if hes the dad. i wish he was not the dad

Barbara - posted on 06/01/2009




Im sorry to hear that you have all been in situations such as breaks my heart because my husband is a wonderful father to our 5 month old...and his four year old daughters mom, WILL NOT let us see her. She has jealousy issues, and she is sooo childish and spiteful! I can't believe she is trying to keep us out of her life. We are gonna fight for custody. Anyways, I think you should just go on with your life for now, If anything were to happen and all of a sudden he decided to quit being a deadbeat and wanted to search for his daughter, than you guys would totally be favored in court. Just for the fact that he hasnt even wanted to see her since she was born...and your daughter thinks of the other man as his daughter. And as far as him hitting a different child, that alone is enough to make sure you guys get your daughter. However he still has fathers rights, and could still get supervised visitation.

Elizabeth - posted on 06/01/2009




Thanks everyone! use have been a great help I will deffently keep some of them answers in mind. Thanks soo much! Yeh she is adorable little girl and really if she met her real dad she would cry her eyes out and simply coz he is a stranger to her but she has a loveing family mummy and daddy my partner and 2 older brothers that love her.

Devon - posted on 06/01/2009




my children's father hasn't really been in there life. my boyfriend now of 6 years has been in there life more to where they call him daddy, cause that's all they know. my ex doesn't live in another state, but i still won't go for full custody because i know if i do the judge will probably let him get my kids every other weekend and holidays and i don't want that to happen because he know's nothing about them and he has hit his one ex girlfriend's kids before. there is ways to help you find your ex. i wouldn't go for custody though, because they might give custody to him over the summer months or something. if your daughter knows your boyfriend as daddy and he obviously loves her then that is all that matters. and if your ex hasn't even seen her yet then you can always ask him to sign his rights over and you can enjoy the rest of your life without him. well, good luck and i hope that it works out for you :)

Katy - posted on 06/01/2009




I have been in your situation hun, its amazing what some men get away with isn't it? Just remeber that if u get a response from her biological father he has a legal right to say no or worse decide he now wants to see her! I decided to let things carry on being as they are hun, after all it's just a piece of paper at the end of the day! ur daughter knows who her daddy is, its the man who is there on a daily basis! any man can be a father, it takes someone special to be a daddy!!!! Just make sure you make a will dictating your wishes should the worse happen to you and carry on with your life with your special family unit! all the best XXXX

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms