How to do you tell if there is a problem or if you are just loosing your mind?

Amber - posted on 05/29/2009 ( 6 moms have responded )




Our new born [4 1/2 m] has tortacollis and couldnt see for 3 months. He has had blood problems, development delays, and now sometimes he doesnt turn towards sounds and i cant tell if I am paronoid or if there may be a problem we are having such are hard time with him since i was 14 wks preg. what should i do?


Kelly - posted on 05/29/2009




trust your gut. if there's one thing I've learned as a mom... it's been to trust my gut. And try to remember it's better to play it safe. if you feel there is a problem talk to your child's doctor. It may be nothing to worry about right now, but your child's doctor needs to know your concerns so that they can keep an eye on what's going on.

Lauren - posted on 05/29/2009




If it would put your mind at ease, ask his pediatrician to administer a hearing test. They have them for infants and most hospitals in the states administer them at birth. But ask his doctor about it. I hope things get easier for you, and especially for him. Good luck!

Devon - posted on 05/29/2009




if he isn' always turning toward sounds, he might not be able to here them or is just ignoring them in his own way. i would talk to the doctor about it and see what they say. it could be a hearing problem or just nothing, but you won't know unless you take him to his doctor. i would make an appointment asap. good luck and hope it gets better for you :)


View replies by

Lisette - posted on 05/29/2009




wow!! thats alot to deal with for even the most soundest of mind, wen it comes to our kids we r all a tad paranoid and protective thats why we r called the care givers,its wat we do best! i say u have good reason to feel 'paranoid' but no one no's ure child better than you,so trust your instincts, bettr 2 b paranoid and find nothing than hopeful and miss something. my love and best wishes to u, stay strong and positive!!

Christine - posted on 05/29/2009




Do you have Early Intervention in your area or something like it? We have early intervention services and it is great to have - it's free- paid for though state mandate & your own health insurance. I have twin boys that were also premies and the nurse came to my house when the boys came home, right away she noticed my boys were not turning their heads to sound & their heads were starting to flatten. They were concerned with them developing torticolis. A physical therapist started coming to the house 1x per week (through early intervention) and would get the boys to move their heads & use their muscles & they would also teach me ways to help them. My boys are now 21 months and they now have speech therapy & learning through music. Early intervention also has occupational therapy & other services that your son may benefit from. I suggest talking to your pediatrician and asking if they have such a service in your state/ area. Good luck!

Abby - posted on 05/29/2009




mum always knows best, u know ur baby better than anyone if u feel there is a problem see a dr(my mum is a paed nurse and thats what she always says) so get him checked. and i hope everything starts looking up for you xxx

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms