How was your birth?

Alison - posted on 10/01/2009 ( 8 moms have responded )




hi there. i am a new mum, i had a not so good birth, to start i had to go for induction (a horrible experience) and everything i had written on my birth plan the totalopposite happened, it all ended with an emergency c-section. was anyone else as unfortunate as me?

i am loving being a mum now, so it was all worth it in the end an my little man is great.


View replies by

Steph Sara - posted on 10/07/2009




I didn't go to any of the anti natal classes and I also didn't have a birth plan. I was petrified of giving birth.
My waters were broken for me as I was 9 months and 10 days, I had a 24 hour labour and then had to be cut and my little girl and to be sucked out with a suction pad as she got stuck, I then had to be stitched. My daughter weighed 8lb.14. Once I was cleaned up the nurses apologised to me and said they should of gave me a c section as my baby was far to big for me. I wouldn't change it for the world though. I love her too bits. One thing is for sure though... I wont be having any more. lol.

Marie - posted on 10/07/2009




My pregnancy was a breeze. My labor, great. My delivery... oh no.

I was induced but that didn't bother me, I was 40 weeks on the dot. But my little girl was getting really big. My doctor was worried because I have such a small frame. On the ultrasound she looked like she was going to be 10 pounds! He told me he was inducing me the day of my checkup. Which really surprised me because I didn't get that much sleep those last few days. I was already tired. But he told me I probably wouldn't deliver til the next day. At the hospital they told me to sleep.

How the hell can any first time mother sleep knowing she's going to meet her first child the next day!?

Anyhoo, I didn't get a wink and the next morning I got to 4cm, got my epidural, and tried to relax. By 4pm I was fully dilated and they turned OFF my meds. I was like wtf?? They wore off so fast. I felt everything! I was so mad. They could've just turned it down!!! Anyhoo, after 2 hours of painful pushing, screaming, and King of he Hill on the TV, gave birth to my first baby girl. She was completed healthy and the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Thankfully she was not 10 pounds, more like 7. I just had A LOT of fluids in there.

But then there was a problem; my placenta wouldn't come out. The doctors and nurses pushed on my stomach and had practically shoved their elbows all the way up my "cookie jar" to get it but they found that part of it was still attached to the abdominal wall. After a while, minutes before they would've taken me to the OR, they tried again and it finally came out.

I had a 3rd degree rip and passed out for hours. But not before holding my little angel and giving her her first kiss. :)

Nadine - posted on 10/07/2009




My first birth experience was terrible! I started experiencing cramps at around midnight but I did not wake my husband up since he had an important meeting the next morning and it was 3 weeks before my due date. I kept needing to go to the bathroom and at around 2:30 in the morning my hubby woke up cos I had been out of bed for too long. He decided to take mt to hospital just to be safe - I didn't want to go, said I would go in the morning. When we got to the hospital at around 3 my contractions were 5 minutes apart, and extremely painful! The nurses put on a machine and could not pick up any contractions, she said I am not in labour it's just growing pains but she admitted me anyway. She said I must sleep and the doctor would be there in the morning, my cramps got worse and worse but she would not give me any medication since she was convinced I am not in labour. The doctor got there just after 7, checked me and said I am fully dialated and it is to late for any pain stuff. My son was born at 7:50.

With my second son I also started getting pains at night, this was 4 weeks before he was due. When we went to the hospital they once again said they cannot pick up any contractions but this time checked whether I was dialated, Iwas 4cm dialated. I insisted on a c-section! I am very happy with that choice! I had less pain with the c-section than I did first time round.

Tara - posted on 10/07/2009




Well with my first daughter I went through 8 hours of labor and 9 minutes of pushing. I had the gas and morphine. Afterwards I hemorrhaged so bad I had to have blood transfusions. It did look good and the doctors told my mom I wasnt going to make it. They shipped me out to a bigger city and on my way my lungs collapsed so I was put on life support in a drug induced coma. i dont remember much of it. I remember coming in and out of it a few times, seeing people above me praying, my mother crying. They all were praying for a miracle. They put up pics of my daughter beside my bed, I dont remember this part but its what I was told by my mom. I thought she was dead and didnt believe them when they told me she wasnt. All i did was cry. I broke the nurses hearts so much that they broke the rules just so i could see my daughter for myself in ICU. Once I held her i cried..Hell im crying now thinking about it. I had everyone crying. After that I made a full recovery. My guess is I saw I had something to live for, I wasnt giving up. My gorgeous baby girl who I would do anything for.

Even after all of that I went through with my second pregnancy. I was protected but the patch failed as did a condom with my first. We were all scared of a repeat of my last birth so i was placed on special vitamins from a nauturopath (which I beleive saved me today as he predicted such a birth when i was just 15) and had a special birth plan set out. I had antibiotics throughout the labor and picton at the end to contract my uterus to prevent any post partum bleeding. I was in labor with my son for 16 hours, no drugs and 45 minutes of pushing. i bled way less than average and have a gorgeous baby boy to show for it.

And yes I will have more. Going through labor with drugs and then with none, Id do natural again any day. If I have learned anything though, we cannot plan anything in this life. itll happen the way its meant to. But we can try right? LOL

April - posted on 10/07/2009




my husband is stationed in germany so i had my daughter here and she is a dual citizen.she is axactly 1 month old today but yes my experience was awful because they made me push at 6 cm and it was very paiful. so i pushed her out at 6 cm, the epidural didnt take so i felt everything and they had to use a vaccume. i felt everything and at one point i thought i was going to die! they ended up cutting me down there with scissors and i felt and HEARD everything. i thought my husband was gooing to cry from just looking at my face and seeing everything and he can take alot, he usually loves watching stuff like this! my labor lasted 23 hours and i finally had my baby girl in my arms, even though i had it rough, i was healed comltetely within 2 weeks and my daughter serenity jade is now exactly a month old wishes!

Ashley - posted on 10/01/2009




I had my son March of last year and it wasn't what I thought it would be but I had prepared myself to have an open-mind to anything so that I wouldn't be disappointed. I had gestational diabetes to start with so I had to monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day and ended up having to take injections of insulin the last week of pregnancy. I was induced at 38 weeks because they thought the baby was going to be larger (he was only 7 lbs. 9 oz. at 38 weeks). So I was induced, had my water broken, I got an epidural but it didn't work...I threw up a few times and then 14 hours of labor later the doctor decides it's time for a C-Section. The second part of my pregnancy was pretty stressful and the birth was not so favorable but like I said- I managed to have an open mind to anything when the time came and so I wasn't so disappointed although it wasn't what I would have chosen. In the end, a new life is worth all of that and then some!

Jessica - posted on 10/01/2009




I had an emergency c-section, too. I went to the hospital to get a stiff neck checked out and wound up with blood pressure of 180/130, got admitted and then induced four hours later, c-section 18 hours after that. It was a nightmare. I didn't have anything with my, my son's dad didn't get there until after midnight when I was admitted and he wasn't really "with" me, he was just kinda there waiting. After the c-section his dad got to see him and hold him before I did. I didn't get to hold my child for more than two hours because of post-op recovery and when I did I was shaking so bad coming off the anesthesia I was scared I would drop him. I was in so much pain and could barely move because my legs and hands were so swollen (I was on four IV bags for two solid days) and I felt completely helpless and useless because I couldn't do anything but lie in bed and cry.

Don't worry, though. It gets better. The pain goes away, even my scar has faded until it's hardly noticeable. Life doesn't always follow the script but a little drama now and then just makes for a good story later.

Brittany - posted on 10/01/2009




I have 2 little ones and their births were very different from each other. I Am happy to hear that you and your son are doing great, that is the most important part, and you can be proud that you have the "battle scars" from the most important day of your life! BTW, I think that birth plans are a guideline, but that is the beautiful thing about childbirth, there are certain things that you cannot (and wouldn't want to) know before hand!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms