I have some birth certificate questions.

Alyssa - posted on 07/24/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




My son, Kasen, is 4 years old. Kasen has his fathers last name, but the father is not on the birth certificate. His father has not seem his since right before he turned 1. I am getting married next year and will eventually start the adoption process. Until then I want to change my sons last name to my fiance's last name. Do I have to have permission from his biological father means he is not on the birth certificate nor has been involved in his life..also including not one cent of child support.


Jenny - posted on 07/24/2012




the biological father's consent is usually required, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances in which the stepfather can adopt without his consent. For example, if the father has had no contact with the child in years, if the father's address is unknown, if the father has been proven to be abusive to the child, etc.

But even in cases such as these, a lot of it varies from one state to another, as well as how the case is presented, etc. There are just too many variables involved to give a "yes" or "no" answer.

I would suggest consulting with an attorney on this. Quite often, many attorneys don't even charge for an initial consulting fee, so you may be able to get the information you need without having to pay for it if money is a concern.

My mother raised the 3 of us on her own and never received one cent from my biological father. I think it is amazing and such a blessing that your fiancé wants to adopt your son and give him his last name! I believe that it's he who raises and teaches the morals and values, and is 100% there for a child who is the Father! When I got married I changed my last name within the WEEK! Hahaha

good luck with everything!!!!!!!!

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms