Removing fathers parental rights...

Jennifer - posted on 12/04/2013 ( 3 moms have responded )




I live in Pennsylvania and I plan on talking to a lawyer after I get my tax return so I have the money. My daughter is 3 1/2 years old her "father" has not seen her since she was 6 weeks old (a little over 3 years ago), has not tried to contact her, and he doesn't pay child support. He was abusive to me. I had a PFA against him because of it he was arrested and went to jail which is why no contact for so long. She doesn't know who he is and I want his rights removed. If he wanted visitation he would have to go through court. He has 2 other daughters as well he doesn't pay child support for or have visitation for. I have a boyfriend who I have a 1 year old with now, he has been in my 3 1/2 year olds life since she was 6 weeks old. He is the only dad she knows. I work full time though I don't make much I get the bills paid and them new clothes. As I said I plan on talking to lawyer in a couple of months but I just wanted some input or advice. He has her name tattooed on him and kept taking pictures of her off of my Facebook (he was blocked and my profile was private so I think inside job so I deactivated it). Since he was to have no contact with me I had to keep moving because he kept finding out where I lived. He would brag to people about being abusive when they asked and would say about how he was going to take her. Needless to say I want to get this over with and be free. Do you think it would be a little easier in my case considering the domestic violence and he hasn't seen her in a little over 3 years?


Jennifer - posted on 12/05/2013




Well if he turns around someday and decides he does wants visitation, unless the court considers him a threat to the child such as physically or mentally harming her, they cannot deny him those rights. He would probably get supervised visitation. I've had a friend with abusive ex who was in jail but the court ordered that she had to bring the kids to go see their dad in jail! If his name is on that paternity paper from the hospital, he is technically the legal father and I believe the only way to get him to sign off on those rights has to come from him.

I only know this as I work at the courthouse in my county and I have seen these thing happen before too. But my best advice would be to consult with a family attorney. They would be able to give you more accurate information based on where you live.

Good Luck.


View replies by

Jamie - posted on 12/05/2013




If he is not a danger to her and he is trying to see her then there is no reason to keep her from him. It will only end up hurting her and eventually she will blame you for not letting her know her father. There a too many men out there that want nothing to do with their children and women that wish the father of thier children would fight to see thier kids. If he is not a danger to her dont keep him away just because of the history between you and him. It is not about the two of you and your problems anymore it is about your little girl and doing what is best for her. She deserves to know her father. That being said i dont know the whole situation so i am just trying to give the best advice i can.

Jodi - posted on 12/05/2013




Has he not been in contact with his daughter because you keep moving and he can't find you? Or because he doesn't try to contact you to visit his daughter. he actually DOES have rights. Domestic violence is not a reason to prevent a child's relationship with her father. If he has been attempting to locate you and you keep running away, then that may be seen as you preventing him from having a relationship with his child.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms