advise on vbac,s...

Artty - posted on 12/22/2009 ( 6 moms have responded )




hi im 31 years old on my 2nd pregnecy.. my daughter is 3.5 and last year i had a miscariage at 10 weeks. i am curently 36 weeks pregs, with my first baby i went to 38.5 weeks was 4 cm dialated for 2 weeks and in a lot of back pain, so they broke my waters with the hook and went into labour instantly. after 12 hours of labour and pushing for an hour she was facing upwards and said she wasnt coming out as she hadnt progressed down and as she was facing up they said she need an emergency c section. she wasnt big 7.7pounds her head was 33 cm........i have celiacs and ibs ive been on alot off pain killers through out my preggs under very close watch by my beautiful dr. ...... i would love to go natural as i hated the c section recovery and dont know how i would do it with a new born and a 3 year old.. but at the same time dont want to go through the same thing as the first..... has any one had any problems like this or simalier problems and still had a natural after....


Chelsey - posted on 12/28/2009




Hi I will be going for a vbac in July. And I will have had 22 months between my first child (which was a c-section) and this one. My C-section was planned, although it was late in pregnancy it was still planned. From talking to other women I have found that a planned c-section is a somewhat easier recovery than an emergency one.
For myself I have the same concern as you ' how do you recover from abdominal surgery with a newborn and a toddler!?!' esp. not being able to lift more than the baby. So I have decided to do everything that I can to be sucsessful with a vbac.
A great site to check out is and also check out some of the vbac communities on COM here, they are a great resource for getting others vbac stories and asking a few questions.
Anyway it is your decision, it's your body and I understand your concern about history repeating itself, but (as I have been told MANY times) every pregnancy, labour, and birth is different.
Good luck with everything =)


View replies by

Cerina - posted on 07/13/2012




I just found out I am pregnant and my first question was whether or not the hospital I planned to have my baby at even allowed VBAC. My son is now 4 and was an emergency C-section after 27 hours of labor. His head had turned sideways and was stuck on my pelvic bone. I was told that they do not though if it happens naturally before a scheduled C-Section they will attempt to deliver as long as I understood the risks. While I do feel robbed of the experience when I had my son I also understand the risks involved with VBAC and the concerns of the doctors and staff. First find out from your home facility if VBAC is even an option (I have friends that were given a firm NO from their own facilities in different states) then get as much information about all that is involved and the risks. Make the decision that is right for you, your family and your situation.
Good Luck and Congrats on your new Joy. =D

Lori - posted on 05/29/2012




My son is 19 months old and I'm expecting #2 in December. I had to have an emergency C-section with my son because his heart rate had dropped so rapidly and it didn't come back up. He was fine (wrapped the cord around his arm!) but it was very traumatic for me. I didn't know what was going on. I felt cheated out of a beautiful, natural delivery that I had been planning (well, dreaming about) for 9 months. My recovery went fairly smoothly, as I had a lot of help from hubby and my parents, and I healed well. This 2nd time, I plan VBAC to hopefully experience a natural birth. I certainly know now there's really no predicting what kind of labor or delivery you'll have.

Shey - posted on 04/27/2012




Hi. I currently have a 18 month old daughter who i had a E C-Section with, only because her heart rate was dropping everytime i had a c-section ! they asked if i wanted to have one ! Im now pregnant with baby number two ITS A BOY : ) but ive been given the option to have a c-section or a VBAC. I defiantly plan on going for a VBAC because the healing is eaier and ive read that the more C Sections you have the less chance you have at ever doing a VBAC, also the C-Sections are a MAJOR surgery and the more you have your damaging your insides althought its very quick and seems easier, its really not good for you or the baby! So when my next appointment comes I will be letting the doctor know that ive decided on a VBAC !

Julie - posted on 01/16/2010




there are alot of things to consider here. What does your dr say? Did your dr say you were a candidate for a vbac? I am going for a vbac bc my dr told me I was a good candidate for it and I have a 51- 57% success rate based on MY pregnancy, no complications. If your dr says you can do a trial of labor then I say go for it, vbac is safer and better for u and baby! I hope this helps, just talk to your dr, c sections should be for emergencys only in my eyes! Good luck to you and I hope you get the brith that you want!

Jenna - posted on 12/27/2009




sorry im at no help with vbac ive had two c-sections that went completely fine and im having a third one in feb. Can i ask why your recovery went bad or why you hated it. ive read though that alot of women do have vbacs so if thats what you really want then why not do it.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms