How can I ask the Doctor for support in conception?

Chana - posted on 11/04/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




My husband and I have been secretly trying to conceive. I say "secretly" because I do not have the support of my family. With my Bipolar diagnosis and his ADD, my family is convinced that our baby will be a freak and they have urged us to have permanent sterilization. We know better.

Unfortunately, I just miscarried within the first 4 weeks. I'm feeling ok, and quite optimistic about the future. Yet, I must see my doctor tomorrow to check on the miscarriage. I want to ask her for prenatal vitamins and disclose desire to start a family. I have developed a great amount of shame due to my family's opinion of those with a mental health diagnosis and am terrified to ask her.

I have 2 children from a previous marriage that came before I was diagnosed.

Have any of you faced this? Have you found a way to talk with health care professionals about your desire to become pregnant despite your diagnosis and medication?


Melinda - posted on 11/11/2012




In my opinion, just because you are bipolar and he has ADD that is no reason not to have a baby. I have both and I have 3 kids. There are medications that are safe while you are pregnant and even after if you want to breast feed. Since you know you have bipolar your doctor can monitor you during your pregnancy. Since you have been through pregnancies before you know what to expect (the mood swings). I wish you luck!

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms