Pyschiatrist vs Pyschologist

CKO - posted on 05/26/2012 ( 7 moms have responded )




Confused about this part as well....

Like I said in a previous post I went in today and saw a doctor and he told me I needed to see a therapist that deals with bipolar. Well he neglected to tell me which I should go see. I know I need to see someone about my meds and although regular doctors are ok, its not something that they specialize in. But I dont want someone that is going to want to use me as a guinea pig and try me on a zillion different types of meds.
Of course I need to see a therapist about this so that i can talk to them about this, but which one should I go see?????


View replies by

Kim - posted on 07/08/2012




Psychiatrist is usually for the meds & the Psychologist will help walk you through/talk with you about your issues. Best of luck to you!

Katherine - posted on 06/10/2012




You need to see both. One for emotional help and one for meds. You will have to try different kinds of meds until they find the right "cocktail" for you. I had the same issue. It took years, not to get you down. You WILL find it and when you do, you will feel a lot better.

Alison - posted on 05/28/2012




Sweetheart, if you have been diagnosed as bipolar, you need to take it very seriously. It may have been a misdiagnosis, which is why you should clarify that with a psychiatrist. You may have to try a few different meds before you find one that works well for you, because different people react differently to medication. It is not because the doctor is bad.

If your doctor recommended a "therapist", it would be a psychologist, but the first step should probably be the psychiatrist to get the meds working properly.

CKO - posted on 05/28/2012




I think i need to be rediagnosed, because Im wondering if the lady that did it, didnt truly give me a diagnosis, just a guess. Im slightly annoyed at the whole thing.

Michelle - posted on 05/26/2012




Psychologist can help you deal with the emotional end of stuff but does not deal with meds you need to see a psychiatrist to discuss meds and other medical related things to do with bi polar.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms