Does anyone know what I would have to do to get SSI for my son who has ADHD and ODD?


Schyla - posted on 11/09/2010




we applied for SSI for our child with a sensory possessing disorder anxiety and ODD and after fighting for over a year and half were finally told that she didn't qualify. I could not work because she required me 24 hours a day she wouldn't sleep she threw the worst tantrum (she was 3 and had been kicked out of every single day care in town that accepted the state assistance) we couldn't afford to pay for child care without it and we also couldn't afford for me not to be working. we finally took our child to a behavior therapist and there WE learned what worked for her and for our family. The sleep and the tantrums were only the tip of the ice burg. But as far as I know from my own struggle with it if you can afford it I'd get a lawyer and do your research. We have been fighting this for almost two years and are still getting no where but the therapist has helped us learn to manage and that has helped us help her. She is almost 5 now and attends Head Start for half days and we found ways to help her sleep and have a routine that we follow religiously.
This is just what happened for us when we attempted to get SSI for our child So again I say do your research and find a lawyer


View replies by

Barbara - posted on 11/11/2010




My son has adhd and odd and I applied and is currently recieving SSI, I just made sure that when I went to the interview I had his medical papers and made sure that I took his medication with me. he was diagnosed with adhd at the age of 3 and odd when he was 11 and he is now 12. good luck.

Sabrina - posted on 11/11/2010




My son (11) has odd and adhd but he qualified for ssi for his Bipolar. I hired a lawyer who worked for o out of pocket we just paid him from the settlement. If we had lost the lawyer would have got nothing and he knew that he specialized in SSI. Trying calling a few Lawyers if they don't take childrens cases they may know someone who does. Don't lose heart it took over two years for us to get approved and I may have to do it again with another sibling.

[deleted account]

You have to go to the local agency that manages care for children with special needs. Generally speaking, those diagnoses do not qualify a child for SSI unless there are special circumstances. Also unless your state has a waiver program of some kind, there are family income and asset limits you would have to meet. I recommend going to your state's website and look for info on SSI and Medicaid.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms