hi i think my son has ADHD as he has all the syptoms and i work with children that have it just wanted to know how to get it diagnosied adnd how easy it is ? please help xxx


Jewel - posted on 06/25/2009




Talk with your pediatrician they would be able to direct to on what needs to be done, you might need to see a psychologist and a neurologist but your child's doctor will tell you what to do. But you want to make sure that it is ADHD, my 8 year daughter was diagnosed with ADHD Inattentiveness and she has anxiety ( which also has ADHD like symptoms) found about the anxiety after seeing a psychologist.


View replies by

[deleted account]

We believe our daughter may have it but we have been struggling for 6 years trying to get an accurate diagnosis. Hopefully you find the right doctor...we have been to a neirologist, a psychologist, 2 psychatrists, and a play therapist. Her school has just decided to send her to a special school because she can no longer function in a regular classroom anymore. I hope you have better luck than we have. The last doctor we just went to feels our daughter not only has ADHD but also a mood disorder which makes it harder for diagnosis.

Shameeka - posted on 06/25/2009




talk to his doctor my daughter's doctor was the one who said by the time she is 3 she needs to be on medicine cuz she was that bad and her doctor specializes in kids with ADHD. so I think you should talk to her doctor

Pat - posted on 06/21/2009




I would suggest finding a neuro-psychologist to access your son. Both of my boys have been on med's for years now, but it's not something I did lightly. Make sure that you are getting great medical advise. I love our pediatrician, and we're now at the point where he is following them for the med checks, but I was much more comfortable having someone that deals with the neurological aspects of ADHD making the diagnosis and working through finding the right med's for each of my boys, and providing advice on other aspects of supporting a child with disabilities. It's too easy to just watch a few behaviors and have a couple of people fill out forms, and then prescribe meds. I know first hand what a difference the right med's can make, but also see children for whom I think it was the wrong choice.

Amy - posted on 06/19/2009




My daughter now 3 was diagnosed with ADHD about 3 months ago its not hard to get them diagnosed i talked to her pediatrician and he refered me to a psycologist who watched her play and the was she was acting he then refered me to a doctor who would perscibe her medication. She now takes methlyn twice a day. So its not a hard process to do it is just time consuming. Good Luck

Stephanie - posted on 06/19/2009




My oldest and youngest were both diagnosed with ADHD. Have your pediatrician refer you to a child psycologist who will do some preliminary testing. The testing in our case consisted of a questionaire that was completed by parents and teachers (if he is in school) and an observation of the child by the psycologist. It's not anything difficult to endure for the child and would be well worth it. Good luck.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms