Do you have any recipes for homemade cleaning supplies?

Many moms make their own cleaning supplies to save money or avoid using unnecessary chemicals. What are some of your recipes for homemade cleaning supplies?

1 4

For homemade "OxiClean" to remove stains from clothes:

1 c. water
1/2 c. peroxide
1/2 c. baking soda

Mix; keep in a plastic container or jar.
Apply to stains or soak laundry for about 20 minutes or longer before laundering.

10
0 8

HOME MADE FABRIC SOFTNER
1 c. hair conditioner (I use suave $1 @ the $ store)
1 c. white vinegar
2 c. water
Mix together. Don't shake, mixture will foam.
Use 1/4 c to each load of laundry. You can make more just be sure 1 part conditioner, 1 part white vinegar, and 2 part water. I love the smell of my clothes.

9
0 0

That's funny, because I used to use Downey fabric softener on my hair when I was a teen.

12 15

Homemade Lavender Laundry Detergent

Ingredients:
4- 4oz. bars of grated Castile soap
1- 78 oz. box of Borax
8- 16 oz. boxes of baking soda
3 tblsp. lavender essential oil

Directions:
1. Grate the soap using a cheese grater or food processor.
2. Once the soap is all grated, throw it into a large plastic pail with the remaining ingredients and mix it all together. You now have your own homemade powder laundry detergent! Each load only takes 2 tablespoons of detergent, so this one batch will cover 288 loads of laundry.

6
12 15

You can substitute any essential oil if you prefer a different fragrance, or you can omit it for an unscented product.

3 7

Can wait to try it out!!!! I love Mule Borax 20...I always forget the word order...! I'll let you know!!! thank you so much!

0 8

I have made and used this before. Love it and the clothes are so clean and smell wonderful. Orange or citrus essential oils are great too.

0 15

can you use this in front load E2 washers?

0 28

What other substitue can we use in place of Castile soap?

57 2

A mixture of salt and epsom salts works great on a greasy stove as you scrub it absorbs. I use it for pet messes too, or on cabinets. It works kinda like comet, also good to scrub ring in bathtub.

3
2 0

It's a good body exfoliater also

3 15

1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 2/3 water, couple of drops of dawn (blue) dish detergent, good general cleaner for counter tops, stainless steel, and glass. Makes things shine!

3
711 9

For cleansing fruits and vegetables from the market use:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1-2 tsp. baking soda
10 drops of Grape Seed Oil (Grape seed oil bottle allows it to come out in drops)

For cleaning windows......forget about Windex and others

For bathroom mirrors: Wet a paper towel; Take the lid off of a small bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar and moisten the towel once or twice by placing the moistened towel on the bottle and tipping it over and up quickly (only takes a bit of vinegar). Wipe mirror with this towel and dry with a clean, dry paper towel.

For windows: Fill a bowl with water, add 2-3 caps full of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water...use a cloth or paper towel to wash and a dry cloth or paper towel to dry!

3
3 7

do you use Apple Cider Vinegar b/c it smells better? cheaper? more effective? I have both at home...I read it also takes off stickers and gummy things...where Windex won't...:)

711 9

Add a comment

711 9

I use apple cider vinegar because that's the way my Mom taught me! It is also a natural antibacterial.

12 15

The type of vinegar is preferential. You want to use a product that is 5 percent acetic acid. I prefer white vinegar for cleaning because I prefer the smell.

0 6

This works for cleaning windows and all glass and mirrors.I use it all the time.

27 0

Vinegar on mirror will eventually start etching the bottom of mirrors. It isn't a food thing to use in them, I loved the fruit and vegetable cleaner...but not the mirror one.

3 7

I have a water and bleach solution on my kitchen counter next to my sink..and it IS properly labeled....1 to 10 ...and I use it on counter tops...bathroom toilet tops...bathroom sink....spills where bleach is tolerated...i would never waste my $$$ on stuff like..409...etc...works GREAT...sterile..and clean...you can scent it if you so desire...:)

3
7 19

I like the idea of scenting the bleach solution. Any suggestions? I love the smell of a product that the Good Home Company puts out, but refuse to pay the huge price for their cleaner. I would, however buy their scented spray if I could use it in a cleaner like that. I indulge and buy their laundry scent. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I rationalize that some people pay $25 a month or so for Starbucks... I make my laundry smell good!! lol

3 7

Hi Patty: I have never tried to scent it...but I should experiment and get back to you...I believe I could try successfully with the following: 1) lemon juice 2) lime juice 3)rosemary sprig 4) peppermint extract 4) patchouli? lol 5) lavender sprigs....I'll let you know..and please me know if you try something..I LIKE the smell of bleach, but really with the dilution, it's quite effective, for me and the kids and the smell is very mild. here's talkin' back at 'cha soon!

0 0

Vicki, I bet you are a swimmer, or at least have enjoyed swimming in chlorinated pools. My daughters who swam still like the smell of chlorine:)

0 0

I use straight apple cider vinegar. It cuts through the tough grease on my stove and it leaves all surfaces sparkling clean and very nice smelling. Cheap and easy

2
1 1

Why are so many people using vinegar? It does not sterilize anything and the amount of bleach used when mixed with water cleans, disinfects and keeps your home germ free.

2
12 15

Vinegar is a good all-purpose cleaner. It kills germs and when used with salt or hydrogen peroxide can even kill e coli. Chlorine bleach is poisonous and must be used in a well-ventilated area. It is recommended to use bleach sparingly. The production process for chlorine bleach is pretty nasty; it releases cancer-causing dioxin as well as brain-damaging mercury into the air surrounding chlorine plants. If you have kids in the house, you need to take precautions: According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, chlorine bleach poisoned 14,400 children under age 6 in 2007 (the last year for which data is available).

1 16

Wow, thanks for the info Andrea! Can you tell me how to mix up the vinegar, peroxide and salt to use as a cleaner? What are the measurements?

27 0

Vinegar is a acid, yes it is a good disinfectant when combined with peroxide ...but spray it in the air...not on surfaces. Vinegar will etch surfaces and cause damage. Wood workers use it to bleach wood, it clouds the Finish and will eat away at irtysh until it get through the wood, tile or just add the surface and it will cause damage. No it isn't the new or old wonder cleaner.

27 0

If you know anything about surfaces vinegar is the very worst cleaner there is. I have a cleaning business. I know surfaces. Vinegar on wood floors will dull the finish and later it will sink into the wood and bleach and damage it. It is a acid! If you use it in tile, it will etch the finish and weaken the grout. If you use it on marble again it will damageand etch the finish. Some home made recipes are okay. Most aren't.
I only deal with the manufactors when I have a new surface I am cleaning that I don't know. Because if I dont deal with the manufactor and damage the surface I am responsible. When you spend a lot of money on your home the key is to know how to clean it instead of using these bizarre recpies that can cause damage. Having the right equipment and knowing how to clean will save you thousands of dollars and make your house shines micro fiber mop will cut your cleaning time in half. It is amshould have tool. To clean wood floors you need to vaccum, wipe up spills and use as little water as possible on them. But everyone knows if you have children they get dirty. The new wood floors will streak and damage if you don't clean them right. You can use a spray bottle full of water and spray the floor and use the micro fiber mop to mop, Dirtier than that? Take your mop pads roll them up and put in a bucket of water. They need a little time to absorb water. Then wring the heck out if them. And mop your floor. Changing water and pads as it gets dirty. The key to your floor to keep it shiny is to dry it. It keeps the finish from being damaged, and the floors look perfect. Dirtier than that? Use one squirt of dawn dish soap. And clean and dry. Water should honestly do it. Most manufactors today make sure their supplies are green if you would prefer to use a cleaner.
The new tile travastine and others if you use vinegar it etches and breaks down the grout and strips the sealer. If it is in your shower...the manufactors suggest dawn and a soft scrubbing brush the key to any bath tub or shower is to get all of the cleaner off. And to dry it after each use. Let the fan run for 30 minutes after the shower to prevent mold. Wiping down the shoer or tub after each use keeps hard water, lime from building up and etching your glass doors and etching the finish. Using a few drops of dawn in your water bucket cleans your floors and drying them keeps them clean and shiny.
Instead iPod using vinegar to clean mirrors ... It will wear the finish off of them. Use soap. Buy a window squeegee ...lowes sales these for about $8.00 use them to dry showers, windows and doors. For mirrors..use a rag with a little soap and wash your mirror, or window and then use the squeegee. Buy a good one and it will last for years. Use a glass cloth to wipe the streaks. Every town has a janitorial supply house and these cost as little as $1.50. Use these to dry chrome, dust and to shine furniture. They are lint free. To use on furniture you barely spray it with water and wipe off your furniture. Since they catch lint they also leave everything streak free.
I am not a fan of vinegar or products if you using it to clean and have no idea how it will damage your finish on surfaces. There are times when I will use it, with hard water build up if there is no other recourse....but I dab it and scrape. Then rinse. I always confer with the home owner before I do this. I also will sometimes use vinegar in rinsing clothes.
If you have brand new furniture, flooring, or counter tops, marble. Check your warrenty before you use anything! You can and will void it if you don't know what cleaners they suggest. Manufactor not the salesman. He doesn't care or half the time doesn't know! Some manufactors only want you to clean with their product. They track you on their computer! If something happens and you need to use that warrenty they can void it if you don't purchase it. The manufactor can also tell you how to clean with what to clean and what not to clean with. Whew...that is my rant for the night. I know others mean well but knowing your surface will save you money. So before you mix up what you consider green home made cleaners you better know what it does to your surface. And honestly cleaning is as simple as adding a little dish soap or finding the right answers just look for the manufactors and ask them, Sherrie

1
2 0

I am going to have to disagree with you on the vinegar. My wood floors are over a hundred years old, that is all that has been used on them except a little wax about every 10 years...They are just as shiny and in tip top shape as the day my grandfather put them in... Sorry you are a "slave" to the chemicals....kinda like a doctor being a "slave" to the pharmacies, and their drugs. Natural is much better for you and the environment. Why would I consult the manufactors? All they are doing is padding the chemical making factories pockets, and vice versa

27 0

When you are cleaning a floor you are cleaning the finish. If that finish is damaged it will damage the floor it was protecting. Vinegar is a mild acid. It will damage any floor finish. Floors are all different. Some are made in layers. On some floors when you damage the layers you can't fix it. For instance engineered wood floors. If the finishis damage on it your stuck. Wood floors vinegar will eventually start clouding the finish which is usually polyethylene. It will start clouding. You won't see it at once. But after it clouds it will etch through the finish and damage the wood. It might start in. One little spot. But that is all it takes. Use vinegar on tile especially the new tile like travistine tile the one with little holes in It, it will start not only damaging the finish it will weaken the tile and it will also weaken grout. Vinegar issued by wood workers to bleach out wood...what does that tell you And how is reading directions a slave to manufactors? Manufactors will give you directions on how to clean your floors or how to clean your surface without damage. Most is simple as cleaning tile with dish soap. And rinsing. And what is greener then that? If you have a brand new surface I am going to tell you yes they want you to use their product and they also might make you purchase it. My new leather couch I had to purchase the cleaner..or they wouldn't give me a warrenty on it. It is a choice. Spending thousands of dollars on floors, surfaces why in the world would you want to cause damage? They track it. Not everyone manufactor does this I told you only so people are educated buyers. You can also use the Internet to google your floors and surfaces. They have the correct way to clean your floors and surfaces. They also tell you what. Not to use. Some of the new steel on bathrooms if you use vinegar on these it will etch it, it will etch facets and discolor them. Will it get hard water off? Absoulty but in doing so you had better be careful. Because I have seen it etch it and discolor it. You don't have to be a slave to anything. But before using these recipes some are great some are horrible find out what to do to clean and protect your product. I have been in the cleaning business for over 20 yrs. my staff and I only clean high end homes and businesses. I clean green and I also clean with chemicals. But when I or any of my staff do so iris because we know exactly what we are doing and why we are doing it. Because I know exactly from the manufactor not the sales man not the store tell me the best way to clean it. If they don't have the directions I call them direct. Because this is my job. This is why I am successful. I am educating you. Sometimes the very simplest thing is using dish soap to clean. Or how about using cheap shampoo to clean your tub? Or shower? Or how about cold corn Water and corn starch to clean mirrors or windows? What is more green than that? Educate. Before you mix these recipes up check or google the manufactors usually aren't your enemy they will give you simple solutions to clean.

27 0

If you read my comment above when I first posted I gave you a alternative to clean floors instead of telling you to buy their products. If your floors are hundred years old are they probably sealed with wax instead of polyerthene if they have never been refinished. Maybe that is why it hasn't reached the wood yet. That is why you should know exactly what you are cleaning and why. If you have new wood floors vinegar will damage them in a record time. Or old ones with polyurethane. if you even leave water on the new wood it turns them white st the joints...add vinegar to that and it seeks into the joint.

27 0

You have wax on your floors....most people don't have waxed wood floors. How many people know what their floors are even sealed with it? Do they even know how to find out? Why is educating yourself a problem? New homes have many new surfaces or marble, or new tiles that putting the wrong thing on it will ruin it. You are making manufactors the enemy when they give simple green solutions to cleaning. Why is that being a slave to the manufactors? If you spend thousands of dollars with that manufactor? Even over the counter cleaning solutions are not always great. I did not reccommend any of them did I? And I wouldn't. My very first house I cleaned for the family was allergic to cleaners. I used dish soap after contacting the manufactors, and water. Her house was clean, little dust. I cleaned mirrors with dish soap and water and sqeegied it off. I do use chemicals but I prefer cleaning green. But only for homes or businesses that want it. But before I use any cleaners I know exactly why and what I am using it for. And what customer wouldn't want me to make sure I am not causing long term damage to their home? Or mine? After spending a thousand dollars on tiled backsplash the manufactor told me to us dish soap and soft brush to clean it. I have a customer that has the exact same tile in her shower because she was using a bathroom cleaner and spraying.it on she had to have several tiles replaced because of the wrong product. All she had to do was use dish soap and a soft brush. Or the shine that has started flaking off tiled floor because their pervious cleaner moped their floor with it? I gave alternatives..green using a micro fiber mop. It not only picks up dust it leaves very little water on the floors if you wring it out. And drying it. What is more green than that?

0 0

Can you find some articles that I can read that support what you are saying? Everything I see is in favor of it. We also use it in the medical field as a disinfectant?

27 0

Vinegar is a Acetic Acid. When you are cleaning any wood surface you are cleaning the finish. The finish is what protects the floor. If you have wood floors they can be many different kinds. Hard wood flooring with polyerthene finish, engineered wood flooring, lament wood flooring, free floating hard wood flooring, wood flooring with a wax sealer. Wood flooring is beautiful and expensive. Tile also has many different kinds, I need to know what kind of flooring you have to give you the manufactories directions. Some wood flooring such as enigneered wood flooring is pressed in many layers with plastic. If this flooring is damage there is no repair. You can't refinish, repair, because it is pressed together on a machine. The recipe above for cleaning wood floors hers were waxed sealed. If you have wax sealed floors this can be sealed anytime. If you have polyerthene sealed floors you have to strip and re sealed. Google wood floors and vinegar damage. Wood workers use vinegar to bleach wood....crafters use it to make drift wood. A disinfectant add vinegar and peroxide and it is a grat disinfectant. I use it in place of fabric softner a lot of times. It has it's uses just not on certain flooring. Send the kind of wood flooring you have and I will send the manufactors directions.

5 5

I love anything that works and stretches the home budget!

1
0 6

This is a good idea.

0
0 0

I know that bleach and amonia are a deadly combo. I have heard that for grease spots to iron it on the wrong side onto maybe a paper towels. It will absorb the grease..

0
2 0

If you are interested in using non-toxic, safer, better cleaners in your home, please contact me @
baskindelight@gmail.com

0
0 3

Enjo is my answer with only one chemical called water - I haven't used harsh cleaning chemicals or sprays since the Sydney Olympics 2000. Saving me time, finances and health.

0