How do I induce labor naturally?

4 0

I have a handout on natural induction methods on my website at http://www.bestdoulas.com/induction.pdf -- it lists about 15 ways to safely induce at home.

Just keep in mind that the average first time mom gives birth at 41-1/2 weeks, and, according to ACOG, you're not past your due date until 42 weeks!

Happy Birthing :)

5
0 0

thats a pdf

0 0

I am an ex uk midwife, now a labour and delivery nurse, I would try;
Sex - the hormone prostaglandin is the active ingredient in the gel used to induce labour, and it is present in semen.
Spicy food - the idea is if the bowel is stimulated it will stimulate the uterus.
Staying active - being upright, or when resting sitting in a forward leaning position, will encourage gravity to push the head onto the cervix, walking or dancing gently to music is great in early labour.

Good Luck!

4
1 7

Pretty much all of the above worked for me! I had sex with first and stayed on my feet dancing around my house with my first. Second, spicy food the night prior! Along it's staying active and being on my feet then rocking my pelvis forward while using sitting on a chair- instant labor! Third, spicy food again! I stayed active (walking around and dancing to music with my other kids. When my water broke, i used a birthing ball and roced my pelvis forward and back, speeding up my labor I hdmy children at 37.5, 38, & 38.5 weeks. They were still 8 lb kids!

0 5

I had two of my 4 children this way. In a child rearing book (published 1957) this was a natural way the Physicians would induce. In the morning w/my breakfast, I drank 2 tablespoons w/my orange juice (and plugged my nose). It also helped back in the early days to be cleaned out instead of having to do the enema. So much easier at home. Good Luck and enjoy your new life!

0 21

I drank caster oil. It was horrible, but 12 hours later I checked into the hospital in labor.

3
0 11

Me too!! It was horrible but I had a baby not long after!!! It totally worked!!!

2 25

caster oil & orange juice worked for me also.

0 0

after being 3 weeks late with 2 of mine , caster oil very hard to take and keep down but works within hours just have to not think about it , a hot drink helps straight after x and sex also helps .....

1 0

This is all ridiculous! Especially coming from a midwife!!!!!!!!!!! Let your body and the baby do what they are suppose to do!! I got caught so many times on reading these kind of midwives tips while pregnant,twice, and I now realize how useless this is! Future moms, you better read on how to raise a happy child and rest before birth! let mother nature do the rest!

2
3 30

Totally agree! Let nature run it's course. :)

3 30

These people are annoying me. I mean seriously, "lots of sex" when you're already uncomfortable as is??? Relax & just be patient, I totally hear you.

0 28

Don't want to sound rude but Have a lot of sex It induced me with my first son

2
3 4

Worked for us too, doctor scraped, then sex, 4 hours later I was in active labor.

Profile Picture
5 63

I agree with the others who said to try sex or walking briskly!

1
13 8

- Have sex
- Go for a long walk
- Eat loads of pineapple

1
521 10

It's nice that people have luck with this stuff. With my second child I tried everything, and she was still 10 days late, and I spent 3 days in the hospital while they were trying to soften my cervix/induce labor. Good Luck.

0
0 0

The day before I went into labor with my first I drank a ton of raspberry tea, ate pineapple, went on a long walk and had a spicy mexican dinner. I would not entertain the idea of sex the night before. There was enough going on with my body!

0
0 12

sex is the most natural way, the hormones in semen are what are used to induce labour. worked for me all three times

0
0 0

What about prime rose oil, starting at 38 weeks. I also heard rubbing it on yur perineum will help tearing....

0
0 12

coconut oil prevents tearing also

31 20

Sex,Sex and more Sex. Walking may help

0
1 0

You can also try nipple stimulation..do it yourself or if u can get your hands on a breastpump..even better! Dont turn the machine on full blast though!!

0
0 45

I disagree with all the comments above as i ave 3 children and my last child we try everything pretty much all of the above on more than 1 occasion and believe me nothing worked

0 11

I have had 4 children and every one of my drs recommended intercourse. I never had to be induced once. I used warm compresses and nipple stimulation on my third and that worked brilliantly, within 12hrs I was in labor. With my 4th child I was a week late had done nothing at all, no thinning out, no nothing! I was so depressed. My husband had been out of the country and he came home a few days after our son was due. Less than 3 days of intercourse my water broke and I was 6cm by the time I reached the hospital. I dont recommend castor oil or anything like that but as long as you are given the OK by your dr. go for the intercourse and walking. If its time for the little one to come it can help. Plus the seman from your hubby can help soften the cervix and help with the process. I found that the more intercourse the quicker and easier labor/delivery as well. Maybe to each her own but thats always been a great worker for me :-)

0 0

I know it can be disappointing or frustrating that te above mentioned didn't work for you, but these are all very helpful suggestions.