How much money should I pay a babysitter?

When you are looking for a babysitter, you want to make sure you're not paying too much or too little. What is the going rate for a babysitter?

3 0

I'm so glad my sitters don't read this. I am a substitute teacher making minimum wage $7.25hour. I ONLY get a sitter if I have to work. If I had to pay 8,10 or $12/hour, I couldn't afford to work. I NEED to work to get health insurance....Sitters also have to realize, they are not paying tax on their wages...we are. So when they are getting $5-$6hour CASH, they are making well over minimum wage. More than a substitute who is tending to 15-25 children at a time.

42
10 2

You made the best argument on here. Most babysitters don't pay a dime on taxes. Teenagers don't get it yet. They need to realize 15 % of their future pay will go to taxes, they may never see again. Legally we are allowed to earn aprox 300 a yr tax free.

3 0

Not to mention, those in daycare services have more than one child. So if they are getting that absurd $10-25/hr PER child and have 4-8 kids, they are making more money in a week than I do in 6 months TEACHING 15-25 children at once. Hardly seems logical....

6 4

Growing up we just accepted that babysitting would not be paid above minimum wage for the exact reason you are suggesting. How can someone pay a sitter while they work if the sitter is getting more per hour than the parent is? Daycare companies seem to be running the business now and making a hefty profit in the deal.

0 0

What I don't understand is why teenagers make this kind of money babysitting at night, when I care for 2 children in my home during the day, and make very little. But this is exceptable? Why? I spend more time, teaching, feeding, playing, giving them more attention then most of these teenagers do. Usually when you get a babysitter to go out at night, the kids may be awake for awhile, but then they go to sleep at some point, then the babysitter are left there to watch TV, text, play on a computer - all the while making bank. SO NOT RIGHT!!

12 0

That's one of the reason's I myself have never used daycare for my 3 kids. Simply can't afford it. I work out a work schedule with my hubby so one of us is always home with the kids. I also took a year maternity leave with each child. I don't like to use formula or daycare. I would rather stay home and eat beans than use daycare.

0 0

I agree with you! It wouldn't have been worth me working over the summer if my babysitter hadn't been a teenager and willing to take $6 an hour. I have older kids that are pretty easy any ways, and on her point of view it was more than she was making at 15 yrs old, which of course was $0. (and for anyone who thinks that's not enough, it was her mother, my son's teacher, who suggested it!) win win.

0 0

I did daycare for 31 years and DID have to pay taxes on my earnings. I believe somewhere it says if you make 400.00 in a year, you have to pay taxes. I've been paying taxes for years even when I was a teenage babysitter. I didn't make very much at all. Parents got to deduct a portion of what they pay a sitter yet daycare providers are taxed. Parents choose to work, so they shouldn't get a break. I chose to stay home with my children and had to pay taxes on my very little earnings. I have had several of my daycare moms said they couldn't be a stay at home mom, it would drive them crazy. Some daycare providers, such as I, actually lose money in the long run because of how heavily we are taxed. My husband has to have a lot taken out of his check to cover me. I didn't earn very much hourly at all though. The garbage man was paid more to take care of our garbage. :/

0 3

Starting with this first comment and the fact that 29 people like it makes me really sad! I have worked as a Lead Teacher and the Assistant Director of a preschool so I speak from experience. I am middle age and can relate to the needs of insurance etc. However.....Daycare companies are raising your children...call it what you want but it broke my heart every other day when I was the one loveing and nurturing children for 7-8 hour days....the same children. So when parents picked up their child.... their precious...most important thing in the world, to go home eat dinner....bathe (sometimes) their child it is 7-8pm and hopefully time for bed. WOW!!!! and still parents complain about $20 a day!!!! Are you kidding me!!!! (not a question a statement) I have college degree and most all my teachers did. The rate includes meals...bandaids...drinks...hugs and oh my lots of them...teaching time to age appropriate. I mean in the 3 hours nightly you have your child at home do you have time to teach them to color, drink from a reg cup, use utensils, ABC's, potty train, the basics like.. oppoisites, the sounds of animals, should I go on or are you getting my point? I personally think if we are answering the question here for the rate of babysitting-well that differs on you. BUT for daily care whether in home (which should be a higher rate no less than $40 a day) care of preschool/childcare...seriously think how much your not able to do with your child and is the $$ amount worth it. Choose to stay home....I pay $600 monthly on health care... my husband is self employed and really makes very little. We have a house payment and have paid off both vehicles...we have 3 children two school age and a toddler WE CHOOSE FOR ME TO RAISE! Make different choices...their up to you really!!!!!

0 0

That's why I never set a specific price. When people would ask how much I charged, I would ask how much they wanted to pay. Sometimes I would sit for a night and we would talk about it afterwards, sometimes I would go down and they would tip, etc. But I also knew what kind of jobs they had (most people were family friends), so the single woman living in a one bedroom apartment with her daughter I charged $5, whereas the family with 4 small kids who often went on vacation abroad 5 times a year and drove especially nice cars were charged $12.

0 0

I'm sorry but not all the babysitters are bad. And some of them save money for school, because the required age to work in a certain job is up 18. My babysitter is from chile she is wonderful, she plays with my kids and she works during the day because in the afternoon she studies so I like her very much and my kid loves her. I pay beer 10 dollars so she can save it for school.

0 0

I'm 18 how am I suppose to get paid if I babysit for eight hours a day for five days a week?

1 0

I feel a lot of times people use the word babysitter and nanny interchangeably as if they are required to perform the same time or for that matter work for the same amount of time I am a nanny I spend anywhere between 45 hours and 54 hours a week with one child who is special needs in Michigan around the average is $10 an hour I am 26 I have 10 years of experience watching children out of those I have been certified alter in CPR first aid and have taken child development courses and worked with organizations that work with physically and mentally disabled children the client I currently work for work 6 days a week makes roughly 11 to $12 an hour and receives roughly $400 in child support each month I only make $10 a day 50 to $60 a week for my 45 up to 54 hours while she is at work I am NOT a babysitter I am a nanny and I am full service I cook I clean I provide enrichment services which would include reading writing play dates math skills social skills and everything in between the woman I watch the child for work second shift so the child is awake for 80% of the time but I'm the one who potty trained the child has gotten her accustomed to a bedtime has worked on her with her speech I have served essentially as a surrogate parent I do not feel it would be unreasonable of me to ask for a hourly wage of in my stay what is considered the bare minimum for somebody under 20 even though I am 26 of just a little over $4 an hour however I have worked with many single low income mothers and I understand that even that would be hard to accomplish for some of them but I claim all my income whether it be from working a regular job 9 to 5 which I can not get given my current position or if it is my under the table nanny income on my tax form so I did not feel that fair to say I put a lot of time energy and for that matter money into providing the best care I possibly can for the children I watch and I do so for basically peanuts in my opinion what would be considered acceptable for a teenaged babysitter not A adult nanny providing over 4 or 5 hours of care on a daily basis I have been doing a lot of looking into this recently and I am finding that 17 year olds who have may be babysat a year are asking for up to and over $10 an hour which is absurd when you could be getting care for your child from somebody who does it professionally at the same cost or for that matter you could probably get that care cheaper at a daycare center however some parents for example the one I am currently working for that is not an option available due to the child's needs she does not feel their equipted I do not mean to rant or ramble however I have found this conversation slightly irritating given not my personal situation but more the fact that people so blindly decide to pay top dollar for subpar service that is not to diminish the importance of the babysitter they serve as date night or nanny ceiling quite well but if you are going to leave your child with somebody 6 days a week 9 - 10 hours a day then you should be prepared to be spending a little bit more for their services which should include enrichment cooking or meal preparation for the child making sure they are bathed their clothes set out for the next day if they are responsible for bedtime and for that matter making sure that time is enforced however that is not to say a babysitter does not do these things but again a babysitter can should and most likely will ask for more compensation the more you ask them to do because that is not part of a babysitter is a job requirement that is a nanny's job which is why they cost between 10th and $15 in the state of Michigan depending on your area Grand Rapids having one of the lowest cost of childcare nationwide so with that I leave you with go read care.com the definition between a babysitter and a nanny so that way you have a clear definition of what you are getting for your dollar and have a better idea of your state's Average to pay either a babysitter or nanny which it will give you the option calculating with years of experience and keep in mind your child's precious if you skimp on how much you're willing to pay you possibly are skimping on the care your service provider is willing to give because for some it's just bubblegum money teenyboppers do as I do for others it's extra income to provide for their families in for those like me it is our sole source of income which we have created a career around

0 0

Anyone who desire "world class" care for their children for wages that are below even the minimum wage is ridiculous. Parents expectations are so high, but dole out compensation that is truly insulting. It is a fact that most childcare providers are grossly underpaid and it so sad to see so many parents complain about how high childcare is for their children. Just stay home and care for your own and then you will not have that concern.

34
0 3

Every parent desires and should expect "world class" care for their children -- there is not a child in the world who deserves anything less. The question is "how much should world class care cost?" Most parents will pay whatever they can afford to buy the best care for their kids -- for some they "dole out" what you might consider an insulting wage but then the question is "compared to what"? In California the minimum wage is $8.00 per hour and for example, if you have a young teenage sitter for a couple of hours babysitting in the evening while you go out to a movie with your husband -- maybe that's OK. On the hand, a full time adult nanny/sitter generally gets $15.- $25. per hour here in California -- certainly not "doling out" an insulting wage - that's approximately $50K per year gross full time (a very respectable sum). So not sure where you are getting the "insulting wages" concept but where I live parents pay everything they have to buying the best childcare they can. And, if they could afford to "just stay home" and not work full time because they need to pay their mortgage -- they would.

12 13

I think she is getting it from all the people that are saying they want to pay basically $5 dollars to have someone watch their kids. Now this is ok if you're living in a rural area where the majority of wages are below $50k. If you can't afford to pay the wages then set up some type of service exchange with a friend or a neighbor that you trust to care for your children the way they deserve to be cared for. Otherwise stay home with your children because one night of having fun (as much as we all need that) isn't worth risking your child's safety. Plus an unfit babysitter sends your child a horrible message: "You're not worth it."

0 0

My 16 year old daughter babysits two children 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and gets paid $10 a day. That's less than $.63 an hour per child, which is insulting. It doesn't matter if my daughter watches the children 8 hours a day or 10, she still gets paid $10 a day. When she asked about getting a raise to $15 a day, which is more than reasonable, the parents suggested that she contact the welfare office for our state because they said the state would pay her for providing childcare. I checked into that and discovered that she has to be at least 18 years old before the state will pay her. Is my daughter wrong for feeling like she's being taken advantage of?

10 0

That is totally unfair to your daughter. That is way to many hours and way to little compensation. It is also a big responsibility. She should be making at least double that! Poor girl!

5 14

To Shannon: Your 16-year-old daughter works 40 hours a week for $10 a day??? That's preposterous!! $10 an hour, maybe, but a day? I don't think anybody should work for that! She'd be better off saving her energy and getting a REAL job! The parents of those 2 kids should be ASHAMED of themselves!! I'd contact the state labor board AND the welfare office to complain about these cheapskates! I feel for your daughter! God bless her!!

1 3

She could quit and find another job, she is 16, the legal age to work.

61 33

I think it depends on the demands of the parent. If you have older kids who just need to be supervised a little, and for the sitter to just sit there and watch a movie with them, then $5 an hour is perfect. If you have high maintenance kids, or younger ones who need more care, then you should pay the sitter a little more. But a 16 year old in my opinion, if they want a higher paying job than $5 an hour, they should go to work in the real world, where they will discover that it is much more stressful and physically demanding, and you are lucky to start at minimum wage, which is only $7.25 an hour. We trust them with the food we eat, and everything else in life, why shouldn't hourly wage for that be higher as well? Add a comment

13 5

No your DD deserves more than $10 a day. I think she is being taken advantage of. these parents are not going to be able to find anyone else that will work for that wage. I would rather see her not work that be exploited like that. I would suggest you talking to the parents on your daughters behalf. My 17 DD gets paid $10 per hour to care for a 5 and 3 y/o. this is only now and then I would think based on your DD age and the hours per week she should be getting at least $7 per hour no less.

0 3

Shannon.....I was paying more than that, for a sitter, back in the early 70's !! Your daughter should tell her "employers" It's $15.00 a day........or " So long! " They are clearly taking advantage of her. And it is not HER place to contact the welfare office......If they want help to pay for their childcare..THEY need to do the contacting. What a pair of losers.

0 3

Shannon.......I paid more than that for a sitter, in the 70's ! your daughter is clearly being taken advantage of. She needs to tell those cheapskate parents it's $15.00 a day......or Adios! Also, it is not HER place to call and ask the welfare office about helping them to pay her wages.......it's THEIR responsibility to do that! I would drop them flat......what losers!

0 0

No, if your daughter is getting $10/day, she is completely being taken advantage of and she should tell those parents to find a different sitter. Why would she work for $10 for 8hrs? Is this the only employment she can find? Minimum wage pays much more than that.

0 34

Shannon, I would tell your daughter to tell those parents to find another babysitter! Wow, $10/day?!?! For my two girls' Child Watch; we paid approximately $4/HOUR/KID (yes, I said per HOUR per KID). I was sickened when I read your post ... that is clearly being taken advantage of; and she should NOT feel guilty thinking that! If I were her; I would find another family to babysit for.

0 11

Good daycare is in high demand. If these parents do not have anyone else or would have a hard time finding someone else, then they wouldnt have a choice but to keep her if she requests more pay. What she is getting paid is a insult and yes she is totally taken advantage of. I live in a small town and charge $3.75/hr. If 2 siblings, $7.00/hr. Your daughter should write up a contract/letter stating after a certain date, her rates will be ?? At that age, she needs to earn $ for car,gas or whatever. Parents do not want to go through the hassle of finding daycare if they already have someone, so they may just realize it will be worth it in the long run to agree with your daughter asking for more pay.

0 8

That is ridiculous. She should be getting paid at least minimum wage which is $8/hr. Here in Boston I pay teenagers $8-10/ hr. Experienced adults $15-20/hr. But they also do some light house work. $10/day is slave labor. That is just wrong.

0 7

I do childcare out of my house and get $35 a day for 10 hour days, I make 3something an hour and do file on my taxes. Last year I had to pay in over $400.00. I do it because I love it, because I surely don't get ric from it. Natasha Oden, North Carolina

0 12

Not at all! She is being taken for advantage no doubt, 10/day is absurd to me for 2 children for 8 hours. She should definetly be paid more than 10/day even more than 15/day. I would demand more pay or go else where. Your daughter is a good person for sitting for so cheap! Good luck!

0 0

Shannon- that's awful! I live in Canada, so it might be different, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal! Your daughter would make more $ working at a fast food resturaunt wouldn't she? We expect to pay babysitters $10 AN HOUR! Your daughter should quit that job, if for no other reason than priciple.

0 0

Don't know what everyone is complaining about when I babysat I got a buck an hour, of course that was a long time ago, now I get 1.50 an hour to watch 4 kids. that's not 1.50 a piece that's for all. I will never pay more than 5.00 an hour in my home and no more than 10.00 at a daycare. I had really good daycare when I needed it and paid 10.00 an hour that was two years ago can't imagine paying more than that, why work you are only paying for daycare.

0 3

Shannon....NO WAY I WOULD ALLOW MY DAUGHTER TO BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF LIKE THAT!!!! The very min I would allow her to get paid is $25 a day, and that depends on the demand of the children. Maybe she should seek out a different family.... becuase there certainly no one I know that would be employed by the family she works for now. She is "raising" children. Call it what you want readers...but if your child is in someone elses care for more than 4 hours a day in a week....someone else is raising your kid with and for you. Pay people!!!!!!! I choose to not shop...I choose to drive a paid for older vehicle...I choose to buy off brand...I choose to do with out the latest gadget...I choose to stay home with my toddler and raise him myself. Key word....CHOOSE!!!!!!

0 0

That is ridiculous and child labor!!! They are TOTALLY taking advantage of your daughter. I have a 14 year old babysit for my two kids that I pay $6 and hour!! I watch a baby myself a couple days a week and I make $10 ( with light housework). Tell you daughter to move on!

0 39

My 16 yr old daughter babysits 2 kids for 10 hours a day, 4 days a week and makes $200 a week. That is only $5 an hour, she feed them breakfast, lunch and an evening snack. One of the boys is still in pampers. Tell me is that worth it? She loves kids and basically does it to help out a friend. When you break it down and think about the hourly pay it really doesn't sound like much at all.

0 0

When I was 13-years-old in the late 80s, I was paid $2/h/kid. I had a job watching 3 little boys between the time Mom left for work and Dad returned, 2h/d. That came out to $30/week. That was reasonable. What your daughter is being paid is RIDICULOUS.

0 0

who needs a babysitter

0 0

Do you have a childcare degree? I'm talking about a 15 year old to babysit for a few hours! That my child will sleep for two of the three and a half hours I am gone! You are out of your mind if you think you should get $16 an hour to watch TV!

12 13

They way I think of it is this: Your children are very precious and dear. Following that logic, the quality of care you provide for them will be the BEST you can AFFORD. Trying to find cheap babysitters, may lead to cheap services rendered. In my case, I asked my babysitter how much she would charged to watch my daughter. I did this after looking into her qualifications (i.e. experience, knowledge of CPR, activities performed w/child to engage them, references, etc.). We pay her $10-12/hour. I feel at peace knowing my daughter is well cared for and that in an emergency, my babysitter, will be able to transport her to a hospital and/or perform necessary first aid. I also make sure to provide my babysitter with thank you cards and gifts on special occasions to show our appreciation. She's a wonderful caregiver.

29
0 3

I do the same..:) I appreciate are care givers And always get them Holiday gifts

0 56

I do the same & would rather our money go here then anywhere else. It's the most important thing. We pay $10-15 an hour (has gone up since we've had our third) Even when I was babysitting almost 20 years ago I was making at least $5 an hour & usually more.

0 0

Thank you ladies for pointing out that our kids are our most precious thing here on earth. I too would pay more for great care. I am a daycare provider myself and I am tired of hearing I can't afford more I need cheap care. It seems most parents are only into themselves and not their children. Our children deserve the best. Watching children the way they should be is hard work and daycare providers should be paid fairly.

0 0

Do they shower for your kids? Just watch them play ,let them eat by themselves wait for you to pick up.

4 11

I have looked at 2 different websites and found that one of them starts at $10 to $15 per hour. I think that is WAY TOO MUCH! I don't even make that much and my kids are 7 and 9 (practically old enough to take care of themselves). We usually pay around $5 an hour and add a few dollars more for gas or if they tidied up. This is for a sitter on occasion if my husband and I want a few hours out on a Saturday night. We don't expect the sitter to drive them anywhere, cook, clean, bathe, or help with homework, etc. All we ask is that the sitter play with our kids and not sit on the computer or text all evening long. We had a fantastic sitter a few years back and we gave her passes for the local ski resort as an extra "thank you" for a job well done.

20
7 0

Frankly, I'm surprised that anybody would spend 4 hours of their time making sure your children are safely supervised, fed, entertained, etc. for only $5 per hour. Is there anybody willing to give up an entire Saturday evening for only $20? I pay my 16 year old babysitter $10 per hour and she is worth every dime.

0 3

Frankly, $5. per hour could be perfectly reasonable -- it all depends on "compared to what?" It seems to me that by definition, market rate is based on what the market will bear -- and that rate is going to be vastly different across the nation. What a fair market rate for babysitting is in Manhattan, New York will be vastly different than a fair market sitter rate in say, Fond du lac, Wisconsin. Perhaps $15. per hour is low for Manhattan while $15. too high for Fond du lac given the same babysitting commitment (same number & ages of kids, same timeframe, same amount of hours per day). So, then paying over or under market rate is based on what rates are typical in your county, city or town and should not be compared to a "national" babysitter rate average. So maybe in some towns in the US -- $5. per hour is OK!

0 4

I also notice that she doesn't expect her sitter to bathe feed or transport her children. I have paid 7.50/hr just because my husband and I wanted to go out for a few hours and my kids were ready for bed when the sitter arrived. All she had to do was watch movies and hang out and check on the boys occasionally. BTW, My kids are 5, 7 and 9. And incredibly well behaved when it comes to bedtime. I had a 16 yr old sitter at the time. I did give her a bonus for going in and reading to them before they went to sleep. And she offered to come back anytime.

4 11

I live in a small town in South Dakota where minimum wage is the norm. When I refer to a sitter, I am not talking about a nanny. Our sitters are usually between 16 and 20 years of age. I just cannot see paying a high school/college age sitter more than I make to play with my kids. We do give extra if the sitter is good and/or puts dishes in the sink, picks up, and so on. I do not expect any housekeeping, transportation, overnights, etc. If you factor in the "tips" and extras we provide our sitters with, plus the fact that it is cash, our sitters usually make a pretty good wage. If my children were special needs or still in diapers, I would pay more. If I needed the sitter to transport my kids, help them with homework, help with housekeeping, etc., I would definitely pay more. I gave a sitter $5 an hour to watch my kids and she did nothing! She sat on the computer with headphones on texting her friends the entire time! When I got home the sitter was sleeping on the couch and my kids had chocolate for dinner! The sitter left an entire tray of lasanga on the counter, which had to be thrown out! There were dirty dishes and wrappers on the table, toys everywhere, and the kids were sleeping on the floor in their clothes (not PJs) with no pillows or blankets. I will not pay anyone $10 an hour for that!

61 33

I think it depends on the demands of the parent. If you have older kids who just need to be supervised a little, and for the sitter to just sit there and watch a movie with them, then $5 an hour is perfect. If you have high maintenance kids, or younger ones who need more care, then you should pay the sitter a little more. But a 16 year old in my opinion, if they want a higher paying job than $5 an hour, they should go to work in the real world, where they will discover that it is much more stressful and physically demanding, and you are lucky to start at minimum wage, which is only $7.25 an hour. We trust them with the food we eat, and everything else in life, why shouldn't hourly wage for that be higher as well?

0 30

We tend to pay an amount per child instead of a basic hourly wage... we usually talk to each babysitter and see what their preference or usually pay is. Being a one-income family, we understand the struggles of trying to make enough money. but how much money do teenagers really need? (when i was a girl, i only made $3/hr babysitting 2 or more children at a time). most of the time we find that our babysitters just enjoy being with the children and helping our family out! we pay $3.50 per child/per hour in our house. this $1 above most daycare centers per child.

12 8

We always give about $25 for 3 to 4 hours of childcare. More for longer. When I used to babysit a xxs a teenager, I watched a couple kids and their parents paid me very poorly. I remember watching them from like 5 PM to 1 AM and I got $10! The parents were actually pretty wealthy too. Just very cheap. I had no choice in the matter as my mom would make me babysit for them. Old family friends.

21 2

I'm sorry but , I feel as though you are taking advantage of someone willing to accept that measly pay. $5 ??? Well, it's either someone quite young or it's an adult who is struggling to feed her own children. That's terrible! And that's for two kids??!! Wow!

35 4

I paid 10$ per hour for an occasional evening sitter (19-years old) for my 2 kids. I thought this was a lot, (added to the expense of dinner and a movie not worth it!) but reading everyones posts this seems pretty reasonable. Since then I've made a deal with a neighbor, I do her hair cut &color, and she watches the kids a couple evenings a month. Much better.

17
4 7

being a hairstylist and doing trade work is the way to go ! that way everyone is happy :) and you really get to know someone when you are doing their hair so you know if you can really trust them.

0 0

I am 21 and i live in Pomona CA, and Omg!!! I See All These people talking about how much they pay a sitter or nanny, hourly. And ii Charge $20 a day (for 8hours) and If you pass the 8Hours its and additional $20. Which tbh ITS A BARGAIN! but this lady ii baby sit for feels like im ripping her off if she is 30mins past the 8hours ii shouldnt charge her. (Gets Annoying!) Like, lady really? Im Gonna Start Charging Her Per hour!

16 26

I've been babysitting for almost 26 years and I get $2.25 and hour per child and they supply everything they need to drink and eat. Hours don't matter, neither do diapers. I'd love to make what these teens make. I'm in a small country town in Lynchburg, OH

13
10 2

You need to ask for a raise.

0 5

I think you are being taken advantage of....definitely request a raise.

0 8

i too am in a rural area and I was looking for full time care for my kids. The highest I found, at a center was only 3.50 an hour per kid! I understand that on either coast the going rate is much much more, but here in middle america the typical salary is under 50K a year for a professional. I can't afford nor am I expected to pay 40K to a babysitter a year! It is all in relation to the area you live in.

0 6

When I was younger, I babysat at 15 for a couple bucks an hour. My mom felt the lesson in work was more important than making big bucks- as did everyone back then. I learned responsibility and that a few extra bucks at the end of the week was great. Now that I have kids of my own, I am shocked by how much sitters make. When I grew up (not that long ago) babysitting was not a career! It was a neighbors kid getting their first taste of work. My husband and I do not go out unless family can watch the kids which is maybe once every four months. As much as we would love to be able to have a few hours to ourselves, we would spend more in babysitting fees than we would on a night out and we just can't afford that. It is sad that even the kid next door charges 10-15 an hour now. To those who continue to charge a few bucks an hour, GOD bless you. I know the parents you work for appreciate you more than you could know.

0 8

I am a school counselor in a rural area- so I am educated and I make below $50K. Most sitters don't do this for the money. They do it because they want to earn some extra cash so they can stay home with their own children. If someone wants to do this as a business then they need to open up a day care center. I don't see many people putting where they are from.It would be interesting to see the rates in different areas of the country. I am from a small town in Virginia. If someone here charged $10.00 an hour for child care, they would never have a job despite how much experience they have. 60% of people probably are not making more than 13.00 an hour. On average here, child care workers make about $100-$150 a week. That is what most day cares charge for 3 and up. Just because we pay less doesn't mean that we care about our children less. If childcare workers wants to make more money then they should probably quit child care. Child Care workers in my area know what the going rate is and are fine with that. I agree, they don't get paid enough for an important role they have, and neither do I, or teachers or nurse etc... I could go on and on.

0 0

I wonder what those people paying the measly wages to their sitter would want for themselves to watch someone else's kid?? I know they wouldn't settle for "cheap".

0 0

Yep, I live in a rural community and I'm paid $3/hour for the one child I watch. It's all relative. If the child I watched were a baby, or if I lived in a big city where cost of living/salary was higher, I would ask for more, but he is delivered to my door every morning, fits right in with my other kids, and is really no trouble. In some ways, it feels like free money, so I don't feel the need to ask for more.

0 56

thats insane, you need to ask for more! $2.25 an hour?? I've never even heard of such a thing. I even pay my mother helper, (when I am home all day with her) $8-$10 an hour bc I am so grateful for her & her help.

0 15

I also pay my daily sitter $2.50 an hour to watch my son. He is with her for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. That is $400 a month, which is about a fifth of my monthly income. For an out of the ordinary night away from home I pay a sitter between 5 and 10 dollars an hour depending on their age and experience. I live in a rural area, and this wage is completely acceptable.

0 20

You need a new job! That is ridiculous....

0 0

Cinda bless you! As a single mom currently only working part time looking for other work and volunteering. I pay 20.00 for a 7 &9 year old. 30min up to 4 hours. It was requested that I pay 8-10.00 which is same to more then I make partime. I appreciate the angels God has brought to me and my girls. Child protective services in Michigan states 11yr old can be home alone and twelve if watching siblings. Cinda I thank God everyday for people like you. You are a blessing. I take my girls everywhere with me. I really don't know how its done without kind and good hearted people and frankly thats who I want watching my kids not those trying to make more money. I give more when I can and try to treat. Cinda

0 11

I can't believe the amounts some of you guys pay and maybe it's because of my location but I pay $2/per hr/per kid and I have 4 kids so i am paying $8 an hour so i can go make $12 an hour there is no possible way I could pay someone $40 an hour to watch all my kids!

12
3 69

What state are you in?

12 0

I get paid $2/hr and I'm in Texas

0 8

I agree! It all depends on location! If I am living in a big city in New York and making over $1000,000 a year then I could afford to pay $10.00. I don't. I live in a small town in VA. So I pay what the going rate for my area is which is around $100-150 a week

1 0

I'VE NEVER CHARGED ANYONE MORE THAN WHAT I FELT( TALKINGTO THEM ) COULD AFFORD. IT'S BEEN MOSTLY YOUNG COUPLES ALL THESE 33 YRS. I NEVER WANTED TO TAKE IT AWAY FROM THE CHILDREN OR THEIR TABLE. I CHARGE 125. A CHILD AND FOR TWO 150. A WEEK. I STARTED OUT AT 40.00 A WEEK, BUT WAS TOLD BY ONE OF THE MOM'S I WAS TO CHEAP,,,,,,THEY SORT OF TAKE CARE OF ME,,,,,,,KNOWING I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR THEM OR THEIR CHILDREN. WHEN I TAKE ON A CHILD, I TAKE THEIR FAMILIES ALSO. I GO TO AT LEASE 4-5 PARTIES FOR THEM A YEAR. I TAKE CARE OF THEM WHEN THEIR SICK, AND WORRY ABOUT THEM WHEN THEIR NOT WITH ME. I LOVE HAVEING THEM AND WOULD NOT DUE ANY OTHER THING. FOR A SHORT TIME THEY ARE ''MY BABIES'' UNTIL THEY GO TO SCHOOL,,,,,,GOD BLESS ALL OF THEM.,,,,DENISE

11
0 13

Denise, you sound just like my daycare provider. We love our Janie, and she loves all of us! She cares deeply for each and every child in her care and charges the same way that you do. I am a single mom, working at Subway and she gets that making sandwiches for a living doesn't provide much so she gives me a great deal. Just because she is a great deal, does NOT mean that my childs care has been compromised in any way shape or form! As I am sure the little ones you are caring for do not have compromised care because you don't charge an arm and a leg. I think there are major differences between child care for working parents and child care for playing parents. The 2 times I have hired a baby sitter for evenings in the last 4 years I paid them over $20 for 3 hours. Not a bad wage, but I won't be able to do that everytime. And paying $10 to $15 per hour does not guarantee quality childcare and I am sorry, I am not going to pay a teen more than I make myself to watch my kid. Now if I added house keeping duties on top of it, you bet. But mine is play with my kid, keep him safe, have fun and if you make a mess clean it up. Denise, I hope you know what a difference you are making in the lives of these families. Do you deserve more? Yes! Are you worth more? Yes! But I am glad there are still people out there for the kids, not the paycheck. Keep on loving those babies. And seriously reading your post, I thought it was our Janie writing it and I know what a blessing she has been in our lives!

0 0

Bless you Denise and all who need it.

14 16

I'm interested in the qualifications of a sitter you could get for $5 an hour. Even the high school kids in my area charge $10 an hour (Middle school $8). I would never leave my child with a child though. I understand the dilemma. I am a single Mom and work in the child care field myself (meaning I don't make a lot either) but generally an adult babysitter in my area with experience charges $15 an hour. I also know a few friends who babysit in the Boston area for $17-$20 and hour. I also read once that if you find an amazing babysitter, you should actually pay her a dollar or two over the going rate.

8
61 33

I am a little offended that you would assume the qualifications of someone who would charge $5 an hour would be less. I am 35 years old, and I started my first job babysitting when i was 14. I later went o work with my husband on a farm and the owners had 2 young kids. They LOVED how well I interacted with them, and offered me a full time job babysitting them. I got paid $15-$18 a day, to be there, play, feed, and SOMETIMES take them to town for summer school. Which I got paid a little extra for. I LOVED my job and I stayed there for 8 years, 5-6 days a week during the summer, and every day during the winter after school and some weekends. That was 15 years ago. I would charge a bit more now but not much more. DON"T judge a book by it's cover. The parents of those 2 kids to this day would tell anyone how perfect I was with the kids.

12 0

I agree with Kathlleen, just because someone doesn't want to bankrupt you with sitter fees doesn't mean they're not qualified. They may be taking better care of the kids than these higher paid sitters who are trying to rob you blind. I used to get paid $20 a day when I was 14 and I still charge the same rate 27 yrs later.

14 16

Everyone's standards are different. I have never met anybody in this decade, not even a child who charged as little as you ladies say you charge. I would be very surprised to hear you live in the Boston (or any major metropolitin) area. I charged $1.50 when I babysat as a child at 13, however by the time I stopped as an adult I was making $15+ an hour. $20 a day would get me a highschool kid for 2 hours, which is why I usually use family or close friends. You can choose your own rate, but personally I have worked with children my whole career, I love them and am actually overqualified for my job. I no longer "babysit" unless it's for friends for free or trade. Maybe you are independently wealthy or have a family situation where money is no concern. I am glad you are satisfied with your pay and it would be amazing to have a pay babysitter where I could actually afford to pay them and go out, but for a paying babysitting job I would definitely be skeptical of someone (again in my area, other rural areas have different payscales) who charged $15-$20 for a whole day because it says you don't value your own skills so why should I? I don't go into a place of employment and say, hey I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and 26 years experience, but I really love kids, so just pay me the least amount of money you can. I find the highest quality program I can in my area and negotiate for the best rate and benefits I can. It's great to hear you are out there making the world a better place and giving nurturing, responsible care to children without "bankrupting" their parents. Good for you (and them).

0 10

Most teenagers these days at least the ones that live in my area have taken a babysitter class and CPR. That is more than I ever did when I used to babysit. When I worked as a paramedic on a 24hr shift I made less than $12 an hour ( 5yrs ago and no I didn't sleep at night probably 90% of the time). People's lives were in my hands. I had to make sure that I knew what drug, the right dose and the appropriate time to use it. I never knew what to expect until I actually got to the scene. Sometimes I would get dispatched for something minor and then find a person in cardiac arrest when I got there or multiple victims from a crash. I made practically nothing for what I had to do. So paying a teenage babysitter $5 an hour ( which she only wanted $2) is appropriate. She plays with my kids and watches TV. My kids love her and she is always willing to babysit when I ask her. We don't go out and have alone time. We strictly use them because we have to go to work. Now I only work 16 hrs on a paycheck, so I can't afford to pay more than that because I barely make enough to pay her and put gas in my car to get to work. If my husband and I made a lot more money, then I would not have a problem paying more for a sitter.

6 3

I read a comment someone left from last year, saying, I’d like to know the qualifications of the people who charge only $5 and hour…. So here it goes… until recently I lived in Clarksville, Tennessee (near Ft Campbell Army Base) I lived in a great (newer) neighborhood, in a rather large beautiful home. I posted adds on craigslist for last minute and/or need a night out babysitting. I also included many pictures of my home and my children’s Rec room, so that people felt comfortable traveling to my home to interview me. More often I obtained new jobs thru word of mouth from others I had babysat for. Besides being a 33yr old mother of 4 (12,8,5,2) I also have first aid training from my 8 years in the Army. *I only charged $20 night for up to 8 hours (not that I’m that particular about time or being woke up at 2-3am) and $10 per additional child (sometimes less). Many of my clients were Military families; being prior service myself and married to a Soldier, I did not feel that these families (who desperately needed Mommy Daddy time) should have to go into the poor house to go out. The people who could afford more, paid me more; just to say thank you!
Outside of the friends that I use to swap babysitting with, I know that I will never find someone to watch my 4 children who is as affordable as me, while still providing quality care. Also I do not feel that my prices were lower because of where I grew up, I have lived all over the United States, more frequently in larger cities. I do not feel that we can judge at qualified child care provider based off them asking for “too little” money!!!

7
6 3

I looked up a chart for minimum wage (state by state) although some states are lower, and some higher, on average it would appear that minimum is around 7.25 an hour, after taxes that means that someone working on their feet and constantly running back and forth (i.e. a fast food employee) would only be bringing home a hair over $6 an hour! So by several peoples “strong” suggestions we all should be paying a teenager at least $10+ an hour under the table, to keep an eye on one or two children? God forbid someone (like me) has 4 children. On one hand you have non-stop flipping burgers in a yucky and hot environment for a take home of $6-8 an hour…. On the other hand…. Sitting with a couple kids, a little playing, and maybe a meal….. I would so choose to babysit! When did parents start demanding that their children get paid more than many grownups? In 1995-96 in Southern California at 15-16 I had a regular babysitting job for a neighbor of ours. A couple times a month I would watch their two children (one in diapers) for $20 a night (4-6 hours). Same timeframe, I saw an ad for a teenager to come to a woman’s home (in my neighborhood) to keep an eye on her 9 year old for a few hours after school three days a week. I got paid around $1.50-2.00 an hour to sit there, often either helping her daughter with her homework and/or doing mine. I even cleaned just to be nice! Since then minimum wage has only gone up $2.10, so I do not believe that slight increase demands paying $10-$15 an hour for one child! Many parents today either do not have the time (due to work and such) or just flat out choose not to take the time to instill a strong work ethic into their children; yet they demand top dollar for those same children to do a fairly easy job under the table. *a little advice for parents who are attempting to find a teenage sitter at a reasonable price, I would suggest putting feelers out at Church or in such organizations as PTA. Also ask around, talk to your friends!

0 3

We are in Boston, and my husband is active duty USCG. I'm an attorney, but have major loans to pay off... folks forget that aspect of paying for 7 years post grad school (BA, JD) and not working full-time during those years (I always worked 20 hours -- the max. When my husband is deployed (for the last 3 years he was on a 270' Cutter for approximately 280 days of the year). We have a 4.9 year old, who goes to pre-school and after care. Often I cannot make it to pick-up by 5:30. Thankfully, one of her teachers is usually willing to bring her home (we are within walking distance). I pay them a flat $20 for the first hour just to simply make it worth her time. I'm usually home within that hour, but it totally takes the stress and pressure off to get there. I'm typically home to make dinner and enjoy some Mommy/Daughter time, but sometimes I need that extra bit of time. Otherwise, we pay $10 - $15 per hour. It's great that my daughter feels so comfortable with her sitters and they are all certified. FYI - I babysat a 9 year old in NYC and they paid me $10 per hour and provided dinner. In any case, I just wanted to say "thank you" to Candas Novinec-Presley for supporting military families -- yes, we do desperately need a night out every few months. Wish we could find the same in downtown Boston ;-). Best to you.

32 3

I'm in Canada and I pay a teenage sitter $20 for 2 1/2 hours once/week.

When I worked midnights in a women's crisis shelter I got paid 18/hour and had to be awake and take care of the needs of up to 17 women and kids,handle crisis lines, do paperwork, cleaning, and security as a single staff. I ended up retiring, as any college student I interviewed to babysit from 10:30pm to 7:30am and all they had to do was sleep (my kids slept the entire time) wanted $10 - $15/ hour. That meant I'd be working for $3/hour ( less after taxes) with much more stress and responsibility.. I had offered to pay $50/night and was laughed at. Wonder what these same collage kids are going to expect to be paid to work in the real world. These were Early childhood education and social service worker sturdents.

7
1 0

i think it depends on the age of your children, and whether it is "daycare" or an evening out. If the babysitter has to worry about meals, then you should pay more. If we go out in the evening at around 7, then we feed/bathe our kids and they usually go to bed at 8, so there is very little work for the babysitter. If we are only out from 7-11, then our average payment to a babysitter is $25-30 for a 15 year old teenager. I add another 10 to that if there is supper involved. I don't know any teenagers that age who make much more than 8 dollars an hour.

7
5 20

We live in a small rural town and other moms let me know they all pay 5 to 7 per hour so I should also. I know this is not the norm in more populated areas, though!

7
12 30

I am a mom of 5 (ages 8 - 15) and I watch my friend's kids so she can work. I charge her $25/day/child, for an 8 hour work day plus travel time, that is a little over $2.50 per hour. Plus I feed them lunch and take them to the pool, etc. on my own dime. It depends on if you're talking about some part-time gig on the weekend so your hubby and you can have a date night, or if you need full time childcare so you can work. It also depends on if you use a live-in nanny, a part-time nanny service, day care center, in home private day care, or drop of your kids at a friend's house. Before we had a teenager old enough to babysit her siblings, we paid a sitter $ 8 - $10/hour for a teenager sitter we knew from church. She even babysat for 11 hours and overnight when I went into labor with my 3rd child! Now we pay our 15 yr old to babysit her 4 siblings and we pay $10/hour, but she has to cook and clean up and put them to bed. When I was babysitting "back in the day" we got paid like $1 - $1.50 per hour, max for 1 - 2 kids.

5
Profile Picture
0 12

I wasn't going to comment until I read that a few people commented who pay their babysitters $5/hour. That is really ridiculous but if they've found someone who is responsible who will even consider that who am I to pass judgement? However if you are someone reading through these responses hoping to get an idea of what to start paying a babysitter, I wouldn't even suggest that to a decent responsible babysitter! I made that when I babysat more than 20 years ago!! I live in the suburbs of Philly and have 2 elementary age children, and everyone I know pays their babysitter between $10-12/hour depending on how many children, the responsibilities and the sitter's experience. I'm not talking about full time child care or daycare here- just babysitting. That is really what the question asked isn't it? How much you pay for long term daycare or in home nanny help is a whole different subject. In my opinion, you pay an occasional babysitter a decent hourly wage above minimum wage since they're only hired on a short term occasional basis and you want them to be available to you. I'd assume it will vary throughout the country, but unless you live in a very rural or low income area, I wouldn't suggest $5/hour. Ask your neighbors, friends and families what they pay to give you a better idea. Chances are $5/hour is not the going rate in most areas these days.

4
Profile Picture
0 0

I also live in Philly suburbs and have been asked to watch a family of four elementary school children for 9 days (two weekends and a school week) living in the house while the parents are traveling on business/vacation. The question is what is a fair amount to charge? They will reimburse for all meals, I would have all responsibilities of the parents. I have a teaching degree, have all my clearances, been teaching for 17 years, I do drive them when I do babysit, I normally charge $15 - $20/hr, but feel that since they are in school for 8 hours a day and sleep (hopefully) 8 hours a night, that an hourly rate may not be fair. What are your thoughts?

3 0

I usually pay $10 a hour but I also have 3 kids and the sitters have always seemed pleased, I have pretty low maintainence kids, my oldest is 9 then I have a 7 year old they play well together so the only one that requires a bit of effort is my 3 year old. I know that if I lived in a city I'd be expected to pay more, but from what I asked other people I seem to pay the going rate here

4
3 69

What state Are you in?

12 0

I think that is very generous of you. How can you afford to pay the sitter $10 an hour. You must have a good paying job.

0 11

I woud never expect to pay a teenager that is watching my child the same as my daycare provider which has a cook following the food guide and all staff members being certified early childhood educators. Your 15/16 year old is not being ripped off by being paid $5/h because by all means if they can get out there and get a job uneducated for more than that by all means do so. Of course every good parent wants to be able to give their child the best care available. That said try and pay for the best care and still pay for all of the things your child needs ie, new clothes every 3-6 months for growing children and shoes ....really the list is endless that's life but there is no way that the average parent can pay for childcare above what they make in cash it doesn't finacially ballance at all. As mothers we all know how much work is involved in taking care of our kids but it is what it is. In addition when you are a child care provider say in a home daycare setting as an adult the tax right offs you have here in ontario can account for a good portion of your household items. You can't get something for nothing but don't expect gold from a person who gets paid in bronze

3
0 0

And I don't think any 15/16 year old would expect that. But I do think that somebody who has given up their Friday/Saturday/whatever day or night of the week to watch your child deserves at least $8. I pay $10 with tips (depending on what the house looks like when I'm home), and I think that's plenty fair. Our sitter is 16, CPR, First Aid, and babysitting certified, she cooks (when asked to), and our kid loves her. I know from experience that no matter what is happening, even if it's just watching a movie, most kids want their babysitter to be involved. Whether that's watching them play a video game or actively watching the movie with them, they don't like their babysitter sitting there doing their homework or on their phone. This means that especially if it's on a school night, a lot of teenagers are coming home to do homework which would have been done much earlier had they not been watching kids all day.

12 0

I've been watching 4 kids ages 2 months to 4yrs old for 10 hours a day and get paid $2 an hour. That's $20 /day for a 10 hour day. I don't live in a rural town, but I feel that times are hard and who wants to pay the babysitter $10/hr, I think that is ridiculous. You cannot pay the sitter more than you make an hour. I have had people take advantage of my good nature and ended up watching a few kids for free every now and then, but I won't do that anymore, because I don't like to be played for a sucker. My rates are already cheap enough. Basically the money I get goes towards an outing I do with the kids, we will go to Chucky Cheese or McDonalds or the public pool. We always do something fun. I figure the parents are too busy working and really don't get to spend that much time with them. It's pretty sad when you think about it. They're at the sitter's for 10 hours, go home, eat dinner, and go to bed.

3
34 33

'Market Rate' is impossible to determine on a forum as broad as this. It also can make a big difference if you're talking about home daycare or an occasional night out.
If I need a sitter for a few hours, I have been paying $10/hour for adult sitters for my 2 1/2 year old. In contrast, a coworker's regular daycare/babysitter just had a baby herself, so my coworker asked me to watch her 18 month old for a few days. She asked what I would charge and I asked what she's paying her regular sitter. $20 a day for approx 8-4. Since this is just 2 days that I'm taking her daughter I said that's fine. Even without considering regional differences, the situation can make quite a range of what is 'acceptable.'

3
1 0

$10-12/hour

3
4 24

Just because you are paying more for a babysitter doesn't mean they are a good sitter. Price shouldn't be used as a tag for quality. I would argue that a parent who thinks this is, trying to keep up with the Jone's.
I lived in Nebraska not long ago and I paid $3 hr for my sitter to watch 2 kids. She also had 6 or 7 other kids so that's like making $18-24 an hour! A parent in Nebraska making that much is not seen so often. Not to mention there are no taxes being paid on that, it's all in pocket. $37k-50k all under the table. I don't think that's unreasonable, for Nebraska anyway.
We have recently moved to AZ and daycare is more than double that! I guarantee you that whatever daycare we choose, will NOT even come close to meeting the care that my kids received in NE. My sitter in NE was awesome. Even though she only got paid $50k a yr when the average salary in NE is $34k.

2
17 28

I would never pay a teenager minimum wage for babysitting. An adult professional, however, is worth $10 - $15 per hour. They will be paying taxes on the wages. Teenagers who do babysitting for a few hours here and there, throughout a tax year, cannot file a grievance for being paid below minimum wage, because they are not paying taxes on any of it. An adult or teenager who is doing a fair amount of work, including cleaning up after the kids, and feeding them, should be paid more. An adult or teenager who watches movies and/or plays on his/her phone all night should not be paid that much.

2
973 44

My daycare charges $20/day if she has them over 4 hours and $12/day if she has them less than 4 hours. If we go out, we usually have MIL or BIL watch them, lately we've been giving them $20, they used to do it for free and sometimes still will. It's family and they usually need a little extra cash to get them through payday and we're not exactly loaded. When I've had the teenagers down the street watch them for the evening, usually 2-4 hours, we give them $20. I guess I don't really have an hourly rate and my kids are usually pretty easy.

2
12 18

I agree with everyone that says "it all depends" were you are and what you are actually paying for ("day" care or "evening babysitter")
I've been reading these type of boards for 5yrs now and the question of how much to pay the babysitter comes up about every 6 months it seems. (not necessarily here on circle of moms... just around the net) and I've noticed a trend. It's going up. 5 yrs ago "most" of the answers were $6-$10/hour.... now it looks like they are $10-$12/hour.

To the original poster, talk with other mom's in your area, talk with the people you are considering for babysitting and check with your wallet.
Personally, I pay $10/hr for daytime one-on-one care for my 4yr old, one day a week, everyweek. When he went to a "daycare" it ranged from $30/day to $40/day (lower rate when it was 5day/wk, higher when it was fewer). Evenings, I go to a class 2x/week, and pay my babysitter $30/week (I'm gone for 1.5 to 2 hrs I asked her how much she wanted) I also often give her $40 instead of the $30, just 'cause she is fantastic.

2
0 2

We have two children (5 and 2) both who go to bed by 8 pm. Our babysitter is/was the teacher of our oldest in Daycare and we pay her $7.50 an hour (all we can afford, but wish it could be more) on nights that my husband and I really need a break for a movie night or Dinner. Typical babysitting time with us is about 4 hours 6:30 to 10:30 and maybe once or twice a month. She will at times, straighten up or wash a few dishes as well. My children love her to pieces and we totally trust her. We also have ordered pizza in for her, prepaired her meals that she can eat in crock pot when she is ready and typically feed our children before she gets here. So all she does is hang out with them, play and then put them to bed which includes reading a story or two.

2
0 15

All I know is that where I live we have drop in daycare's ( for when you just need a few hours away) and when I take my kids (ages 7 and 10) I only pay $6.50 an hour. I have a 14 year old that babysits for us too and I try to get her instead of the drop in just cause Id rather her make some extra cash. The way I see it is if young teenagers want to make some cash than they should take what the can get (within reason). The most I ask of her is to just make an easy dinner for them (if its around that time when she babysits) and usually I have that set out. Sometimes I will pay her more if I have her late hours or my kids were a little out of hand.
If you are looking to hire a sitter that has training or you need her more than just to watch for a few hours, than you should obviously pay more and I think that $10 is good for 1 to 2 kids, depending on the responsibility of the sitter, the ages of the kids and how many, than the rate should increase.

2
12 0

The daycare by my house charges $7.50/hr per child. The rec center charges $40/day and offers this service during holiday times when the kids will be out of school and over the summer break. So, I think sitters should be paid $30/day. I think this is a fair price.

0 0

I had to have a babysitter for my 10 year old daughter last week. My daughter is very mature and self sufficient but just under age to stay alone. I had a 14 year old neighbor stay with her. She told me just whatever I wanted to give her. She was more like a playmate because they played Wii dance, board games and went to the neighborhood pool together. I gave her $35 for 6 hours. Did I under pay or does this sound exceptable for the situation? Anybody have any ideas for me for future use? Love to hear some feedback. Thanks

2
0 16

I don't think you over/under paid her. One, she is 14 and this gave her some experience. Two, she was basically paid to play...easy. According to this blog, I would be underpaying my babysitters. We only get them for an occasional night out and end up paying them more than we spend going out. We do have four children, almost 13, almost 11, 8 and 6. We always have dinner in the fridge for everyone and the pantry is they can have whatever they find to snack on. We have had a parent complain about paying their daughter too much for 10 hours of babysitting. So for that teenager (until she graduated from hs) we paid less. I live in a rural area in Sacramento county.

12 0

I think you paid very generously.

0 0

My teenage daughters make $5 an hour watching 2 children. That's $2.50 a child! They make them breakfast, lunch and snacks, so I am losing out on this deal with the groceries. We live in a rural area. They also keep them busy with activities and crafts.

2
23 11

If your looking for a teenage babysitter then the normal rate & what my girls charge is $5 an hour per kid... If your looking as in like childcare/daycare type babysitting then it just all depends I charge $25 a day and some say that is too low and then some say it is to high.. I also know people who think just cause someone is charging less $$ they are no good but not true all the time.. I have over 25yrs exp. plus have worked in public school systems and I have a husband whom makes good $$ so I don't have to charge alot but doesn't mean I'm horrible.. so it all depends on who you talk to on how much they charge

2
12 13

That is wonderful that you can afford to charge low rates to watch children. However in the majority of cases that is not the case. Most people that babysit or care for children need the money. Most often those that have experience and are capable in what they do demand more for their time than those that don't. So the you pay for what you get idea is a very valid one.

0 0

I am seeing that most pay around $10 for more than one child that are under the age of 10. I payed a 14 year old $6 a hour for my 11 year old just because I was in a bind and didn't want to leave her alone. I felt this was very reasonable because they played together, I provided lunch and snacks and they enjoyed each others company for the day. The sitter would have been at home doing less and making nothing so it was a win win situation. Where can a 14 year old get a job making $6 a hour to play with a friend? I work with her mom and they live one street over. Sometimes you have to search out your resources and use them. When my daughter was younger she went to a Christian daycare and I payed $45 a day.

1 0

funny i should see this post today because i have been thinking about advertising myself! i am a granny with my own wheels and crb checked. I was thinking £20 per night if yr home by midnight. i dont need taxi fare home and i certainly dont need any supper leaving out. I promise i wont let mi mates in neither. dewsbury west yorkshire xx

2
1 1

HEHE are you willing to come to Australia to babysit for a few hours!!! But you are not allowed to text on your phone all night either , ok!!

1 0

a bit too far helen i think....but nice to think people actually read these comments xx

12 0

I loved reading your response, I swear, I could hear your accent as I was reading it.

1 0

i never got round to actually advertising but this update has reminded me, i really must do something. The other week a friend of my daughter had to find a babysitter for a very rare night out and the stories the neighbours had to tell her the day after have scared her to death. she let boys in and they were jumping out of the windows and she had warned the children not to tell mum. i told my daughter i would babysit next time she needed anyone xx k k [west yorkshire, england] serious accent!!!

44 22

I babysit in the Tn area and get paid $10/hr. I have experience,educational backgroun and other qualifications. Depends on the number of children you have and duties.
And for those saying it is ridiculous price to pay for babysitters and nannies as myself this is how we make a living just like you have your job. Everyone expects quality care and have outrageous demands and expectations from person taking care of their children but insult them by offering less than minimum wage.

2
9 16

Your child deserves the best so should pay for top quality childcare. I give the best childcare do I ask for at least $10 a hour. Which involves not just tending to their natural needs( being fed, bathing/ toiletry, kept safe) but also structure and play. Not just watching but involving yourself with play or activities. It will be fun if u make it fun. These kids are this worlds future so must show good examples. Children learn from what they see, hear, and do. I want these kids I watch to want to come back so put them first and give lots of love then we should and would get paid the best. If I could afford to do childcare for free I would.

2
2 3

It all depends on the area. In the DC area you wouldn't find anyone willing to babysit for less than $10-15 an hour and that includes teenagers. more rural or less populated areas you pay less

2
12 0

I live in a large city and get paid $2/hr.

0 0

Well I babysit for a family and get about $16 per hour. Then the other family I get a little more.
We live in Bergen County NJ

2
8 21

We don't go out on dates unless a family member can watch the 3 girls (ages 3, 4, 6). I do licensed home day care and I charge $20 a day per child which includes snacks/meals. I don't charge for sick or holidays. I realize I could charge a lot more (I am a certified teacher with a masters) but I am trying to help a few friends and I am very choosy about the kids/families who come into my home! I am only open 2 days a week in the summer by choice. I had to go to a meeting once for work and I ended up paying the college student who babysat more than what I made to go to an hour long meeting considering my travel time. My 16 year old neighbor boy has come over a few times to watch the girls for 45 minutes to an hour (time inbetween me leaving and hubby coming home). I pay him $5-$10 for that. It is so hard to find a sitter when you are the sitter!! My biggest problem is finding someone to watch the girls when I have an appointment or when one of them has a an appt and I can't take all of them with me!! It is so hard to figure out in fact I am trying to do that for today!!!

2
3 18

Wow--our old licensed home day care woman charged $40/day. I thought that was very high.

9 86

How much is a home day care license? I am a stay at home mom of 4, currently keeping a friends' daughter about 4 days a month, in my home. She pays me $20/day (about $2/hr). I don't mind keeping her and have thought about getting a couple more kids to watch.

8 21

What state do you live in? The license fee in Michigan is charged once every 3 years. I can't remember what it was off hand either 25 or 50 bucks. There are some costs to start up with the CPR, furnace inspection and TB test. It's not too bad. However, you may not want to post things that mention you provide child care in your unlicensed home especially if you live in Michigan because there a lot of licensed providers who will report you. I am licensed but I feel that as a parent we should have the right to choose who watches our children licensed or unlicensed. I think licensing is important but if I had to find a sitter for my kids I wouldn't go to a licensed provider because I can't see paying that much and it would be so occassional that I wouldn't be want to register and take a spot in the ratio. Ratio is something to think about too because your children under the age of 7 do count in the 6 children you are allowed to have.

9 86

Wow, thank you Angie! This has been very helpful. I will opt out of posting where I live, lol! Though I don't think taking money for keeping a friends child (for 10+ hrs a day) is wrong. I have seen posts of people doing the same, on here. I am still searching for options to make extra money. This stay at home mom business does not pay well, but I am very thankful to be able to do it :)

22 0

I get $20 a day per kid, and the parents have to bring snacks.

2
13 4

In my area thats about what you pay as well, $20 a day or roughly $2 an hour. If I had to pay the rates these people were talking about I would never be able to afford a sitter, mind you I've used a sitter only a few times but my boyfriend has 2 daughters and pays $125/week and she takes them from 8pm over night and then to school and sometimes picks them up at 3:30. As is it takes up a good chunk of his income but she is wonderful, she feeds them, plays with them, takes them swimming, to movies, anywhere she goes they go, she has also made them their own room. I also have a neighbor that charges $2 an hour. Our min wage is roughly $8-$9 an hour and many people actually make that wage if they are to have an evening out and pay the sitter more than they make that sounds ridiculous to me. And by the way, all of these people I am mentionning that babysit are adults, women in their 40's and 50's just earning extra income. Another point, to mention is these people babysit in their own homes so its more convenient for them.

0 15

I get paid $5 an hour for 3 kids but thats also family. If you want great and wonderful care your looking at paying at least $10 an hour. I gave my family a discount because they couldnt afford anything more. We share food cost because i have my 3 kids there also. You just have to decide if its worth paying the extra money or not.

6 0

During the summer, I am paying $125 a week/$25 a day for 1 child that just turned 6. During the school year, I pay $50 a week/$10 a day and this is for about 2 1/2 hours. She sits in my house and I provide meals and snacks for both my son and the babysitter! I live in a rural area in Texas. My neighbor down the street pays $30 a day for 3 children. I guess a lot depends on the sitter you get....

0 0

I am from Canada. I charge $5 an hour. I think I am reasonable. I am not looking to make a fortune. :)

0 3

I pay $12 an hour for 2 toddlers. I feel that is fair- they are a lot of work ! We live on LI, NY.

1
0 0

I usually pay about 10 per hour during the time the kids (two boys ages 4 and 7) are awake and then drop to 5 during the times they are asleep and our babysitter is watching tv or on the computer. The price defintely goes up if my nieces are in the mix.

1
0 11

We pay $10 an hour in San Jose, CA. We have two sons who she keeps entertained with games or movies.

1
2 9

Wow there is a lot of bashing going on for this question. Here is the logical answer:

The best way to find out what is appropriate for your area for a babysitter is to ask around - what are other parents paying for sitters? I live in NJ, and the going rate is $15/hr for responsible, dependable childcare. We use college students, so I am not speaking about neighborhood teenagers. Yes, it's expensive, but I know my kids get babysitters that spend time with them doing fun activities, rather than just turn on the TV. When I had one child I paid $10, but that was several years ago. My husband and I don't go out much, because our sitter money is saved for the nights we work and need someone to pick up the kids. For me, it's a trade off I am willing to make because our sitters are happy to be working for us, they love the kids, and they appreciate the fact that we pay them a living wage.

1