Is it OK for someone else to spank your child?

6 52

No it's not, but I do remember being corrected by another adult if they saw me doing something wrong.I really do believe that we mind our business way too much though. In my neighborhood if I see a kid doing something they shouldn't,i do say something but not in a threatening way, but in a loving way. They respect me for it! Parents can't be there 24 hrs a day with their kids. It takes a village to raise kids, these kids are our futures, we should be just a little more involved on their upbringing whether it's our kids or not!

19
41 0

my best friend's mother makes $67 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her pay was $19342 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this website ......www.max38.com

17 0

SHENNA WILLIAMS AMEN DADE COUNTY MAY JESUS CHRIST LORD LIVE IN YOUR VOICE I HAVE FAITH IN YOU.

220 0

I am an adult, 18 yrs old girl, still spanked at home. And I thing it is okay. What do you think? belgrade.girl99@gmail.com

17 14

No way.. someone on the other post regarding spanking said she works in a daycare and that the parents know she spanks as a last resort.. I told her no way would anyone be allowed to do that to my children, and she would have her daycare closed if she lived here.

13
41 0

215 1

As I am TOTALLY anti spanking a child aka hitting it ... NO it isn't ok for anyone to hit my child! [erm .. I can't hit YOU .. but I can hit a child ?? WHAT ??? ] Believe me ... there would be TROUBLE .....!

12
41 0

5 15

I think the right for someone else to spank your child should be reserve for close relatives and family friends. My mother was actually the first one to spank my child...but she didn't put up with fall out tantrums with me so I know she wouldn't for my son....

11
215 1

I .. would have 'strangled' my mother if she had laid a single finger on my child! She did quite enough of that on ME thank you very much when I was a child, and I knew that it was wrong to hit a child then! If she couldn't or wouldn't keep her hands to herself [Use your words not your hands!] she would have been banned from ever being with them. I didn't want anyone teaching violence or being violent to my children. I never hit my children - I taught them - they are now great, kind and gentle adults. As are my grandchildren delightful children. How can you teach a child not to hit - whilst hitting it ?? How can you expect to have respect from a child, when you don't respect it and hit it? Respect .. not thumps !!

5 15

Although I can empathize with your comment, I will respectfully disagree with some aspects of it. Along with corporal discipline, I add a dialogue with my son. I never spank him and send him to his room without explaining why, and distinguishing that the behavior was the issue and not him. I highly respect my son's feelings and opinions, and while I wish that I could teach him that everyone is kind and gentle and would never hit him, that is not the truth. My son is growing up in a world that despite the best efforts of those who have loving hearts, he will endure hardships that aren't his fault at all. To put it mildly, I would rather teach him now with a soft hand, then for him to learn it from the hard smack of a policeman's baton.

0 0

Aisha, your last post was clear and absolutely correct. It does boil down to either a soft hand now, or a hard smack from a policeman's baton later!!! Well said!!!

3 4

Well said Aisha!!!

2 3

Ha! i dont hit my kid, no one hits my son because he is my son. However sometimes people cant see where there kids are heading but granny can..... and grannys rightfully take no crap from any child and if you're ok with then who cares what the self-rightous think? Tealrose seems to be confused.."How can you teach a child not to hit - whilst hitting it?" but she herself said that she would use physical punishment on her own MOTHER when she 'strangled' her in retaliation!

30 0

I agree with Ron Mackey

41 0

5 0

i agree 100%

64 0

i agree no one would allow a stranger to smack their child.i trust my sister and if she feels my son needs a smack he gets one.

12 0

I think this depends on the relationship with the others. I spank my son from time to time and my parents spanked us from time to time growing up. When my son is at my parents house and in their care if his behavior is extreme and warrants a swat, I'm ok with that. But I think you have to know your relationship. If my parents were abusive to me, then I probably wouldn't have them watch my son. Neighbors and friends would probably be a big no...

9
41 0

140 0

I have two daughters, age 14 and 12. When I spank them, i insist both of them to take off their panties before spanking, in order to be spanked on bare bottoms. Occasionally, but not so often,, I insist my husband spank them to. And to spank them on the same way. Are there some other parents who like to spank their children 2 - 3 times a weak, at least?

26 10

It is not OK for anyone to hit anyone!! why would hitting ever be OK?

9
41 0

0 24

This is a touchy subject!! I would definitely not want someone else to ever spank my children now, but what if your child is on vacation with family and you are not around, does grandpa or grandma have the right to spank? I would say no, but maybe it depends on the situation? I had my first child very young, and my best friend and I lived together. Our boys were only 6 months apart and we would watch each others son while the other worked, we treated them exactly the same as we would treat our own. So if they got into trouble together no matter which one of us was there we punished them both.

6
631 96

You and others FIRST have to understanding as to what a serious enough offense would be... everyone has their boundaries, right?

41 0

41 0

4 15

Seriously, not trying to be sarcastic but if you didn't give or authorize permission in the front of both spanker & spankie this is allowable you need to make certain that you have never condoned that sort of treatment or punishment to your child from anyone other that their parents.I have given my 2 brothers & 1 sister to discipline My mon my children IF NEEDED.vise verse. Knock on wood that has yet to happen to my children as of yet. I will admit i have punished ,y siblings children on occasion rarely but i have. i go by this motto" ITS HARD TELLING NOT KNOWING" Spare the Rod Spoil the child. We are to guide them and give them the tools to be God frearing Responsible interdependent self confident morally respectable;e self sufficient adults who have respect and accountability to and for one another..

5
0 0

Linda: your comments are correct and to the point! That's what sensible dialogue is all about!!!

4 15

Thank you Ron!

10 0

You realize proverbs was one of the books Christian scholars were going to leave out of the Bible right? It was also standard in the day to beat women, stone prostitutes, crucify thieves, and own slaves. Perhaps we should also condone those outdated practices... I really have a problem with this spare the rod spoil the child nonsense. The one person I know who is really into this saying is not good to their children. They have been using a belt since their kids were only 2. But hey, a few thousand years ago an adulterer and a murderer wrote these words of wisdom so lets live by them. Hey may have been the wisest man in the world, but remember even mans wisdom is foolishness to God!!!

11 0

A lot has obviously changed since then and the man had his flaws, but that doesn't mean he had nothing of value to say. I think the whole concept of sparing the rod and spoiling the child is basically meant to connote that we have to discipline our children. It does not have to be spankings, but I personally do not think they need to be left out of the arsenal that parents have available to them. The whole point is about how to communicate to your child the seriousness of an offense. For some children and in some circumstances, spanking is the only way to get them to realise that what this is all serious business. If there are other ways to get the message across, by all means take it! I do and I know many other responsible parents do. Still, there are sometimes when you just know as a parent that you have to because nothing else will get the message across.

0 0

Onyeche, you have spoken volumes of wisdom in just a few sentences! Parents need to be parents, and not to be passive spectators in their families! When correction and discipline is needed, do something to guide your child to be a good citizen. And as Onyeche stated, keep spanking in your arsenal as a last resort, and that does not mean an "old school beatdown" which IS against the Law of the land!!! Thank you again Onyeche for the parental reminder!!!

41 0

51 17

dumb question - seriously why the hell would you spank someones child or let someone spank yours?

5
40 30

because if you are the adult responsible for a child, you have to be able to discipline that child. If he or she does something that is extreme enough to need a spanking rather than a nose in the corner then it needs to be administered right then, not 8 hours later when his parents get home and he don't remember kicking you in the gonads and turning the diningroom table over because he is 4. Don't leave your children with anyone you do not trust to administer appropriate punishment for bad behavior.

41 0

1 171

No...it is not okay for someone else to yell, hit, or anything else. I get very upset when people think they can say whatever they want to my child. I would never spank someone elses kids even if they told me it was okay. They can take their kids elsewhere if they want me to be the bad guy for them.

5
631 96

Carolyn - there is a BIG difference in hitting or spanking .. Hitting is retaliation while spanking should be a deterrent to bad behavior or punishment or rebelling or being naughty - but not for every little thing -

70 9

i agree with julie i spank my children as a last resort but i have never hit my children you have a good point though i would never allow anyone to do any of the things you said in your comment to my children either nor would i spank anyone else's child either

41 0

69 0

I can't believe that this is even a question. Hitting is never ok. My kids have never been struck by me, my husband or anyone else and are polite, well adjusted, respectful, compassionate children. There are no circumstances that make hitting a child acceptable. It is not discipline, it is hurting another person.

5
631 96

Laura - there is a big difference between hitting and spanking -

9 10

Julie, Hitting and spanking are the same action, different word.

1 10

For those of us that choose to spank our children "Hitting and Spanking" are two different words two different actions .I choose to spank my children but i dont allow any one else to.

70 9

i agree with crista and julie this is not a debate on who is a better parent it is a matter of weather you allow others to SPANK your children i spank as a last resort and my 2 year old is polite and well adjusted, respectful, compassionate also my 8 month old learns from his brother and in my eyes to young to be spanked and for those of you who don't know the difference between spanking and hitting, spanking is about a spank on the bum as in to say NO you did the wrong thing this is not acceptable hitting is a retaliation composed of anger there you go that's the difference

3 0

i agree that hitting isnt the same as spanking,hitting implies anger and fighting, spanking is a form of punishment. I know some parents that dont spank and their kids are wonderful but that said i know parents that dont spank and their kids are the biggest bunch of disrespectful brats..they hit others including their parents. Im more of a situation to situation spanker, what works for one child may not for another. My older son doesn't respond to spanking, but he does to time outs and taking away privileges, now my younger son will get up and walk off time out unless i literally hold him there but yet one spank to the rear end gets his attention. Ill never promote beating children but sometimes a well place spank to the hind end can work wonders.

41 0

29 11

NEVER!!! We don't spank our child so why would it be okay for someone else to? We use the time-out method as does her school. It is very effective. I was spanked as a child but my parents know that it is NOT okay for them to spank their granddaughter.

5
35 79

i find timeout depends on the child, time out doesnt work with my son, hell just go and do whatever it was he was doing, taking his toys away doesnt work either, i find a little tap on the hand, or sent to bed works, hes 7 now i still try to suse time out but it doesnt work at all, hes been getting disciplined since he was 2, however my daughter, shes 2 now, turned 2 nov 24th, and timeout/the 1...2....3 method works with her, 1...2....3 method SOMEtimes works with my son but not always, i find it depends on the child, hurting a child is not acceptable, but a little tap on the hand shouldnt be wrong. i find thats whats wrong with this generation, kids KNOW they are not aloud to be touched, or slapped, so they rub it in their parents faces, kids these days are running the roads, doing drugs, causing trouble, in my community theres nothing to do other than drink, drugs, or movies, or pool, or hang out in your house playing video games, not even bowling around here anymore, shoppings another idea, when i was growing up a hard slap on the hand to make it red, or a smack on the bum (only got the bum once), and corner along with it worked wonders, i turned out fine, i only needed that ONE slap on the bum and i never was bad again, i was a quiet kid, also, never cursed as a child ...that soap in my mouth ONCE was enough for me, now you cant do anything to discipline your child, and they wont listen to ya, c.a gets involved bc the child tells their teacher that they got a slap on the hand, etc, i think its rediculous, if you are not hurting your child it should be acceptable, i understand some people have no control and end up beating their child, however, thats when c.a should be in volved, not from a slap on the hand >_>

40 30

Time out is very effective for some children in some circumstances. My boys needed spanking, time out was nothing and they would stand and daydream for however long you made them stay. Then they did the exact same thing they were in time out for. As teenagers grounding them was more effective than time out had been when they were younger but at that point they knew that I would spank them if they needed it, therefore I didn't need to anymore. I know people who use timeout only, some have very good kids and others need to spank theirs becuase timeout don't work for them-but they don't realize it. It is really all in the personality of the child I think.

41 0

0 10

NEVER! no way no how!!!

5
41 0

0 0

If I as a parent agreed with spanking and gave permission to someone watching over my child then yes.

Is it ok for someone to spank my child without my previous consent or knowledge? No it is not. Spanking is a very serious and physical punisment which many parents avoid at allmost all costs. Spanking someone's child may result in many bad things.

As an adult comming into a situation in which a child who is not mine requires some form of discipline I would choose from the following options:
a) bring the child to his/her parent for discipline
b) ask the child to remove themselves from the area of the incident and then report to parents as time allowed
or c) wait for parents with child until they came to retrieve him/her then report of the misdeeds and allow the parents to proceed as they chose.

If I am watching someone elses children for any extended time and have become a temporary gaurdian of that child I will have gotten consent and suggestions on how to handle misbehaivour for that child. If I had no previous consent to administer some form of disciplin then I wouldn't be watching them. This same would go for anyone watching/caring for my two precious kidlets.

4
41 0

8 13

F*CK NO...... if someone else hit my daughter or even grabbed my daughter bc she did something wrong u best believe im going to say/ do something about it no one will EVER touch my daughter and disapline her besides her parents.....

4
631 96

Be a wise mommie Jenny - learn the difference in hitting or grabbing and spanking -

8 4

I'm pretty sure she knows the difference between them. She's just stating that she would not allow anyone to TOUCH her daughter in any harmful way.

40 30

No Andrea, actually she said not one will ever touch her daugher and disapline her besides her parents. I hope she NEVER leaves that child with anyone, or sends her to school, or anywhere that she will not be to see to her behavior. Parents, you have to be real, your children are not always with you and the adults in charge where they are have to be able to administer appropriate punishment if they misbehave. Not necessarily spanking, most schools and daycares do not spank anyway so that is not really in play here, but is they are never disceplined for bad behavior they will be when they go to jail.

0 0

Sara, you are right on the mark with your comments. According to court records across this great country, there are more than 2500 children between the ages of 13 to 17 in prison "Life Without Parole." Now, how did that happen to so many children from so many families? Will somebody please explain? Kudos, Sara!

8 13

If I leave her with a babysitter and she's acting up then they have permission to carry her and put her in time out but anything else if I hear about it they r not going to like at all what they see when I get there and talk to them...

8 13

For one I ment no one will harm my daughter in any way.... If she is misbehaving the babysitter has a list of approved disabling actions or they call me or the daddy.. And even if a kid is disaplined they could still spend time in jail for being idiots...

41 0

0 0

H@ll NO.

4
31 1

Please explain why. I'd love to get your full opinion rather than just a two word answer. Thanks so much!

41 0

Profile Picture
32 26

Serious? Of course not! No way! They had better not! I have told my children that it is not okay for anybody to ever hit them, ever, for any reason. If an adult hitsspanks/swats them I want to know about it ASAP. I will take steps to protect them from that person. Bottom line (pun intended) keep your hands off my kids!

3
65 28

Are you kidding me? If I don't spank my child ever, how would I ever allow anyone else to spank him. Family or no family. If I ever found out there would be hell to pay big time!!!

3
41 0

1 23

um....NO

3
31 1

Why do you think that? It would be great to get your full perspective on this rather than just a two word answer.

41 0

1,738 8

Absolutely not. And if any caregivers spanked my child, you can believe they would no longer be caregivers - including family members.

2
41 0

Profile Picture
19 5

As I'm against spanking my own child anyway - no, I would be outraged if anyone else tried to spank my child. If someone else tried to punish my child using other means, it would depend largely on who they were, what they were punishing him for and how they were doing it. I would be at the very least quite irritated even a very close friend took it upon herself to punish my son (with me present) if she didn't at least have a discussion with me about it first. Though if that same friend were watching my child - I vote for them using their own discretion, provided they don't violate any of my childrearing principles (ie, don't spank my child - time outs, please).

2
Profile Picture
41 0

2 0

I don't use spanking as a form of discipline so NO I'm not OK with it.

2
41 0

99 48

You have to ask? Would you want someone else to spank you if you were your child's age? Didn't it hurt ENOUGH when your parent did it to you? Now someone ELSE gets to have a round at your child? I think that's disrespectful-to your child AND YOU. Are you saying your child has control over you, and that's why SOMEONE ELSE GETS TO HAVE CONTROL TOO? Poor child. Spanking hurts period. I don't believe in "good spanking." That's for parents who feel a need to justify their lack of control. That's all spanking is. Actually, spanking is for parents who have LOST control of themselves and their emotions. I've been there too. I have spanked my child-twice. She is 4 1/2 years old. I NEVER tell her, "Mama, didn't mean to" or "YOU made me do it" "Or YOU brought it upon yourself" THOSE ARE ALL LIES. I never NEVER lie to my child, and nor should anyone else. When I have lost control of my emotions and I lash out in a spanking with my child, I ALWAYS tell her, "Look, I'm sorry." " You know that I hardly ever spank you, but if I do, like I just did, then that means that I lost control of my emotions. I'm not apologizing for what I did to you, because I meant to do it. I'm telling you I'm sorry, because I spanked you when I was upset." Ask you child RIGHT THEN "What do you do when you GET SO MAD at someone?" If the child says, "I feel like hitting something", then we all should understand why I'm posting this. Regardless of what the child says, a child deserves an apology for the person or ppl that spank him/her out of frustration. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON WHY A CHILD GETS SPANKED. I don't care what anyone else says...there is NO OTHER REASON why......think about it. Get control over your emotions. And for the love of man...don't disrespect your child for someone ELSE's fragile emotions.

2
29 23

Why hit your child in anger? You can seriously hurt them because you have no control over yourself. It is better to separate yourself for a moment to calm down. I do believe in spanking-but I control how hard and that is impossible if I have lost control of myself. After spanking I never tell them those lies you mention. We have a discussion on what happened and why. My son (age 2.5) knows the next time he climbs on to the bathroom sink to get in the medicine cabinet he is getting spanked. There is no surprise for him about this, he knows it will happen.

0 0

you NEVER lie to your child? Really? then i guess u dont tell them there is a tooth fairy...or a santa claus? I hate it when ppl say that...cuz its just another LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 4

I have never told my child there is a tooth fairy or a santa claus..they are lies..why would you lie to innocent children?

70 9

honestly you didn't spank your child at all you hit her you lashed out in anger a spank is a composed and completely controlled swat on the bum if a child knows they have done something wrong and gotten a smack/ spank then they are less likely to did again my son climbed on the railings of the balcony so i spanked him told him to never scare mummy like that again i would rather him have a sore bum for a coupe of minutes then to have fallen and broken his neck or worse (btw i was in the kitchen and he went through the sliding door after his dad came in a didn't lock it cause he wasn't going to be long and our son went out there without me knowing and he was quiet so i went and checked on him and there he was ever since the door gets locked no matter how long anyone is going to be going back out)( this explanation is so i don't get flack for not keeping an eye on my son constantly it's all a matter of learning and sometimes it takes something like that to help you learn i just thank god everyday he didn't get hurt)

3 0

honestly i think people that try to treat kids like little adults is stupid...they're little kids...why lie to them about santa clause and the tooth fairy? really? Its called a childhood and fantasy. Its FUN for the kids.

0 0

Sandy, they lie to their kids, then get upset with their kids when their kids follow their lying example! Maybe those parents need a spank!!! You are correct in your comments! Thanks!

11 0

Disciplining your child in anger, whether you hit them or not, is bad. Period. I personally make it a point not to do or say anything to my daughter if I am upset with her or feeling really stressed. I give myself a time-out first. That said, I do spank her if I know that is the only way to get a point of correction across. If I have corrected her about dangerous or extremely negative behaviour previously, then facing the wall for five minutes, or telling her off are not going to do the trick.

41 0

vmy best friend's mother makes $67 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her pay was $19342 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this website ......www.max38.com

15 0

NO! Yon don't want any and everybody spanking your child that is the PARENT'S job only, the child needs to know who is the parent. When you work a job is it fair for your co-workers to tell you what to do? you would be so confused, who do you listen to, when everyone one has different rules for you to follow. You might say it ok for gradmother or Aunt to spank your kid. BUT WHAT IF IT'S SOMETHING YOU ALLOW THE KIDS TO DO BUT FOR GOT TO INFORM THE SITTER AND THEY SPANK THEM FOR IT. This part of parenting allow you to bound with your child, it's reconnecting process for parent's only.

2
41 0

3 12

Nooooooooo............. We do time-outs.
I think spanking is confusing too, because you're doing to your child what you're trying to teach them NOT to do - hit... Instilling fear by physical punishment is not the same as discipline.

This was a concern of mine because I've seen my out-laws give a smack to their other grandkids. They were told we do time-outs and I can only hope they respect it if they babysit him at their house. I don't go with the "my house - my rules" thing. It's "my kid - MY rules!"

But at least my son is now old enough to tell me if something happens - in which case, those grandparents will get a big time-out from us!!

2
41 0

3 5

No it is not right to hit someone else's child at all even if your child is in someone else's care for the day I have been in this situation and it's not nice at all I did warn the other parent if she'd hit my son again I'd ring Dept of Children Services so she never learnt first time round I rang Docs on her now she has learnt her lesson

2
0 4

What? Learnt! Apparently you never "learned" either. On the other hand, maybe she deserved to have DCS called on her since she agreed to keep your bad a** kid again after you threatened her the first time.

3 5

You are only judging by what you have read, you do not know the whole story, and as for you saying my child is a "bad a** kid" you do not know me or my son to say anything of kind like that.

70 9

@kimberly huggins you are judging pull yourself inline don't bully others and don't target a child because you don't like what his mother has said @ stephanie i am sure your son is a good kid and you had your reasons to do what you did i am sure you are a great mother who just made a mistake we all make them and it's okay don't let others harsh judgments upset you

41 0

0 0

Mothers and Fathers only. There are other non physical ways that family members can correct children without touching them. I have never physically punished my stepdaughters but that does not stop me from correcting bad behavior. The best idea I had, that stops the fighting/tattling for months between sibling is having them write their spelling words 20 times each. They started working things with just a look from you. Spanking is the last line in a long list of alteratives but if you do it right you just have to ask one question for the next several months. "Do I need to spank your bottom, again?" You give them the choice to change their behavior on their own. Spanking is not beating if three bare handed stikes on a bottom did not change the behavior than you should never spank again because it does not work on that child.

2
41 0

29 23

over my dead body!
What I believe warrants a spanking may differ from what another person believes. In my house it is a last resort and never given in anger. Afterwards my kids have to tell me why they think they received a spanking and we talk about it. They understand that we love them and the spanking has to do with their actions.

2
41 0

512 54

NO. Not without my permission, and I would not give it. I don't even spank my own anymore...When my son was 5-6 a friend "pinch him" because he wanted to leave the line @ an ice skating rink. I had left to grab my husband and she said she "had it". What she did not know was my son saw me coming back and was simply trying to get to me. When I showed up my son was crying and said, "she just pinched me really hard!" I was PISSED. She said she was sorry but he wasn't "listening" Don't EVER hurt my kid, ever..

1
41 0

1 45

I think it depends on the person. Like my sister, my mom and I all know what boundries we have. I spanked my neice not to long ago after she looked me in the eye and called me a b****! Shes 5! Sometimes spankings are the only thing that works.

1
41 0

1,315 8

Of course not.

1
41 0

321 14

Although, as mentioned in another post, I have, on very rare occasions, smacked my children, as have their dad. However, I would not allow anybody else to do so. If any of my children are misbehaving that badly then either myself or their dad are told about it and we deal with it as we feel appropriate. Thankfully my children are generally very well behaved.

1
41 0

149 34

If my child does something that deserves a spanking, then you better bring my child to me, or call me to come to my child and I will do the spanking. PERIOD

1
41 0

18 13

no. not ever.

1
41 0

19 26

corrected yes...spanked no no.

1
41 0

631 96

There is a BIG difference between 'hitting' and spanking!!!

When a child has violated someone's rules of their home and it is serious, I believe the parent should be called and the matter discussed with them.

Maybe the child should return home -

ALWAYS back the other parents/teachers if your child knew what they were doing was wrong ESPECIALLY if it occurred at school!

It is critical that your children leran respect for parents and all others in authority - right or wrong.

1
153 0

I have ALWAYS supported my daughter's teachers if there was a child behavioral issue at school. This isn't an across-the-board issue however. If the teacher steps out of line in admonishing a child (happened two or three times in our small church-based school), I will not support that teacher's behavior and will address it with the teacher privately. Should that fail, school administration was my next step in curing the problem. I did have to do this twice due to lack of cooperation from the teacher who maintained it was perfectly fine to humiliate a little girl (not my daughter) in her fourth grade classroom. Behavior is a learned skill that both parents and teachers teach by modeling good behavior to the kids. Negative or inappropriate behavior should NEVER go unchallenged, whether by child or adult.

41 0

38 17

I have 3 children that live with my ex and his wife. 2 yrs ago they put VRO against my current partner because my son lied and told them his fractured arm was due to my partner grabbing him ( this was not the case, we have gone through hell because of it!!) now 2 years down the track my son is disrespectful, manipulative, wags school, graffiti's places, lies, blames everyone else for his actions and is heading to Juvenile detention if he keeps going. Now the shoe is on the other foot though. My ex has given my son a belting and so has his step mum. My pride and everything tells me I should cause them the hell they have put us through BUT at the same time nothing works with my son. We have spoken to him, given him time out, taken EVERYTHING away from him, grounded him, I even asked a friend who's a policeman to help all to no change in his behaviour. I grew up with a smack if I done something wrong and I am sorry to say but I feel this is what is wrong with todays society, talking to a child is not punishment. I knew that if I got a smack when I was a child it was because the choice I made was wrong and I knew better. I got smacked but I knew instantly that I would not do it again. I would not have even considered half the things my son has done due to fear and respect for my parents. I beleive there are some children that you have absolutely no other option but to give them a smack. You could talk to my son till you're blue in the face, 5 minutes later it's as if nothing happened and then he does something else wrong. I respect my parents for smacking me because I never done the wrong thing twice and it taught me that respect for other people also. Our parents were always commended by their friends for us being well behaved children. A smack hurts for 2 minutes it's more the shock that hurts them than anything else.

1
15 8

I feel your pain. I have a child that is close to that type of behavior. It's very exhausting. I agree. and sometimes it feels as though you can do everything short of beating them and nothing helps. Trust me, I know how you feel.

38 17

Hi Tori, Yes it is very hard. Sometimes you wanna just pull all your heair out and scream sooo loud that it will drown them out for as long as possible. Then there are the times tho when they are listening and being so cute that you look at tehm and think I really do love you to absolute bits but you drive me fn bonkers lol

0 0

I totally agree with you...my son lives with me, but i cannot use spanking on him because his father threatens to take him if I do...i did let him live with his dad for a few months but his dad and step-mom couldnt handle him so he came back. now they are seeing my point of view a bit more, My daughers were spanked when they were little and they are well behaved young ladies.

41 0

0 18

I, myself, personally am not okay what-so-ever with someone else spanking my child. If other people are okay with it that is fine, their discretion. but I am flat out against it for me & mine.

1
41 0

4 27

Absolutely NOT!!! I can count on ! hand the number of times I have spanked my child and those times were for instances when his behavior could have caused real harm to him or someone else. I would be livid if a family member or anyone else ever thought they had the right to put thier hans on my child. That is for a parent to decide, and only in an extrene case at that!

1
40 30

I agree with you on your use of spanking your child - only when his behavior could have caused real harm. What if you are not there, and won't be there for hours and hours? What if he does something that could have caused serious harm, or worse DOES cause serious harm, after his caregiver told him to do not do that thing? Does his caregiver spank him and let him go on with his day after a few minutes or does she make him sit in a chair all day until you get back from whereever you had to go?

41 0

56 0

no!

1
31 1

Can you explain why?

0 0

TealRose, Whether 19 states or 22 states have reinstated the corporal punishment law in the schools, it is still the "law of the land in those states. Now why did those states reistate the law that so many people hate? It is because of the Colombine Murders that were committed by somebody's children who did not take the time to exert proper training and discipline toward the children that they bore. Now, it is not the responsibility of any state in the Union to train your child proper behavior at home or in public. It is the responsiblilty of each parent to use every parenting tool available in order to teach their chilren what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Now, I understand you to say that after you were hit once by your parents that you hated them. And you felt that because they hit you, they did not love you. Now, what was the reason that they hit you? Did you try to put your finger in a socket, or place your hand on a hot stove, or did you run out into traffic? And did you get a couple of swats on the rear, or did they hit you with a two by four across you head? I can see from the strong stance that you take against spanking that you must have been a lot to handle by your parents. In other words, "A strong-willed child". And after they hit you and you told them that you "hated" them, did they cater to your wishes and let you run the household from then on? I ask those questions, because if every child had the thoughts that you have, there would be no need for parents, because every home would be run by a democratic vote, where each person in the family would have a vote on all decisions to be made, including a new born baby. Now, LET'S GET REAL!!! The law in all those states that reinstated corporal punishment did so because the school administrators and teachers could not teach because nearly 234,000 of their most "Brilliant and Brightest" did not know how to behave in class, and the teachers were prohibited from teaching those who really wanted to learn. And they knew that there was a reason for it. The lack of proper parenting, and discipline in the home. And if you read what I posted earlier, there were set guidlines to be used in the carrying out of that paddling by the school administrators. So, I would suggest to you, #1, that you get some heavy-duty counseling, so you can begin to heal inside from the hatred that you have for your parents. And #2, open your eyes, ears, and mind real wide, so that you can clearly understand these last few words. Spanking, or in legal terms, "physical force", is a light swat, or two, administered by the hand of a parent, without anger, to get the swift attention of a child to end unacceptable behavior, and I might add is legal and lawful by nearly half the states of the United States. And the cruel, terrible, unjust, and abusive beat-down of a child is done in anger, as well as administered with a wide belt, with buckle, extension cords, tree limbs, kitchen spatulas and spoons, is against the law in all 50 states and is punishable by a long extended tour in prison. I love my parents very much, and I always thank them for teaching me the difference between right and wrong behavior, and it only took a swat or two on my "seat of understanding", a little talking to about what I did, and a great big hug that set me on my way to serve 20 wonderful years in the United States Air Force, 22 years driving other peoples kids as a school bus driver, 8 years as an Alternative Sentencing Instructor for the City of Las Vegas Municipal Court, as well as an Author of a Parenting Book. Thank you Lord, and thank you Mom and Dad for teaching me great parenting skills.

53 28

Thank You, Mr. Ron Mackey for your comment of the problems with children today, parents and their "lasafare" "lets just peacifiy them," PARENTING. You put so elloquently what my husband and I preach to anybody and everybody who will listen. These are the exact reason's we pulled our children out of public school and homeschool. Thank you, so much keep up the good comments!!!!!!

0 0

Ixchel: i can see that you are a common sense adult who can agree on very clear evidence. And I am very thankful for parents who taught me how to discern right from wrong, and that there are consequences for wrong choices!

0 0

Ixchel: Believe it or not, there are some good and well- mannered kids around who have been raised to say "yes sir", and "yes ma'am" to adults they speak to, and that encourages me that there are still some parents of "quality" around, and not just "pseudo-parents"! There is no time for parents to be A.W.O.L. from their God-given resposibility to be parents!!! That is the bottom line!!!

28 2

no not at all...respect your kid's feeling...if you let someone lay a finger on your baby and you know it you loose the respect as a parent...you as a parent its your choice to spank your child or not..but no body else reserve the right to raise a hand on somebody else's kid...

0 0

Are Police Officers included in your response that no one can spank your child?

15 0

No!! I don't think it right for anyone to spank your child except the parents of the child. I try to change my voice tone if I'm in the care of my neice or nephew that all ways seem to help, they know I'm I'm not joking around and it's a hands off approach and it works.

41 0