Share your most creative lunches and snacks!

They say "Variety is the spice of life," and nobody knows that better than a kid who's sick of peanut butter and jelly! What are some of your favorite creative lunch and snack ideas?

4 12

To add a little spice to our lunches, I add a carrot smoothie. I make it with carrot baby food, vanilla yogurt, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon and a little sugar (if needed). It tastes like carrot cake and the kids are getting a healthy addition to lunch.

22
15 20

What a great idea!! thanks.

0 0

Sounds like this would be good with pumpkin also.

4 12

It is!!! I've used carrot, sweet potato, and pumpkin. Fruit is easy to get kids to eat. It's the veggies I try to make different.

0 7

how much of each ingredient? could you email me please? angelish1211@aol.com thanks tonns Shannon

0 0

I am so happy to find out that I am not the only one to make baby food smoothies! You don't really need a recipe, you just add to taste...Also, you can use the same ingredients, replacing vanilla extract for vanilla yogurt, to make carrot cake pancakes, yum!

0 3

will definitely try this!!! thanks

0 60

Mmmmm pumpkin sounds amazing!! I'm going to try that!

0 0

====http://www.flying4biz.com==== ====http://www.flying4biz.com top Nike air Jordan shoes33$,Air Force 1 33$, Nike dunks SB shoe,Nike Shox shoe. Wholesale Cheap Nike shoes with discount jersey, High quality T- shirts,ED hardy t-shirts,ED Hardy hoodies,ED hardy shoes,ED hardy Jeans,Evisu shoes,GUCCI shoes,LV Handbag,Chanel Handbag Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30 DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35 Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12 Jordan (1-22)&2009 shoes $45 Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35 Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $30 Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $13 Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30 Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15 N ew era cap $16 ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ==== Bikini(Ed hardy,polo) $18

6 12

That's awesome! My girls love smoothies, I would have never thought to add baby food to get the smooth consistency!

5 0

This was gotten off a pkg of Pillsbury Hungry Jack Biscuts over 30 years ago....cook up 1 lb hamburger in saucepan broken up into very small pieces, add small amt of sauce of choice (ketchup, or hot sauce, or teriyaki, or mustard, you get the idea)...then take pkg of refrigerator biscuts, form each buscut into one cup of a cupcake tin...fill with the loose hamburger, top with half slice of american cheese (or any cheese of your choice)...place in oven at temperature and time stated on pkg of buscuts...then, when rims of buscuts are golden brown and cheese is melted into the precooked hamburger, you have a cupcake shaped cheese burger...can be served hot for diner and cold in next days lunch box....called Bar Ba Cups and my kids loved them.

22
15 20

Love this!! I am going to try it.

1 16

I've tried this. I used bbq chicken. YUMMY!

0 0

I've done this as well with hamburger, bbq sauce and I added corn and pork n beans. I used shredded cheddar cheese on top rather than sliced american. It was a hit!

0 14

love the idea, gonna try it myslef

0 1

We make "pizza cups" like this! Just add pizza sauce to hamburger and top with mozzarella cheese. Huge hit!!

0 1

Love this idea, thank you!

0 10

We have even done this -taco style with salsa and taco seasoning, pizza style with pizza sauce and cheese.

5 24

I love making tortilla roll ups for my daughter as a fun twist on the regular ol' sandwich. You can do them with regular sandwich fixings- my daughter likes ham & cheese or pb &j- or you can get a little more creative! Try hummus with cukes, feta & tomatoes or one of our favorite sweet treats- nutella with sliced strawberries on top! Roll everything up in a tortilla, place seam side down on the edge of some saran wrap, cut into pinwheel slices and finish wrapping up in saran! Easy and fun and she sees it as different than the sandwich with bread :)

18
0 0

My kids love pasta salad and it's a great way to sneak in extra veggies, esp if you cut them into tiny chinks. A way to really make it fun is to get multi colored pasta and multi-colored tomatoes or bell peppers. Another thing they love is sliced up fruit with peanut butter. Just bag the fruit and put peanut butter in a small tupperware. And our very favorite healthy snack is a recipe I found years ago in a magazine called Wondertime that we are constantly trying with new add-ins is called Powerballs . Here's the recipe: Mix together 1 cup peanut butter and 1 cup honey until smooth. Gradually add in 3 cups old fashioned oats and 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheatgerm. Add 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 c crushed nuts and 1/2 c dried fruit. Mix gently in your stand mixer or smush together by hand. Roll into ping pong size balls and refrigerate. layer wax paper between layers. You can freeze the extra. It's one of the most requested things I make by family and friends and a great protein and energy snack! We use whatever dried fruit and nuts we have on hand, but our favorite is dried cherries and pecans. Coconut is another yummy mix in. Mini chocolate chips are best, and we use only 3/4 cup and it's still plenty sweet, you could go to 1/2 cup easy.

10
0 0

The sandwich bag is my life saver! I just grab a bag and throw in 2 or 3 "healthy" items and presto....a healthy, filling snack! A few weekly favorites in my house are cheerios/blueberries, peanuts/raisins, yogurt puffs/graham crackers. The bag is great because my kids can eat while playing or on the go! These snacks are also great for those late mornings when there is no time for breakfast. Throw a bag together and eat in the car!

9
0 4

When my kids were little we had something we called "Fun Supper" usually served on a divided plate....as many small bits of healthy things as I could find. The idea is to mix up food groups and colors and textures. Great for using up left overs and when you have 3 kids and one banana etc...Kids eat better when there is not a whole serving of one item...a cracker, 1/4 slice of bread, a small raw carrot, couple of green beans a few very thin slices of apple or pear, a small number of peas cold cereal or even marshmallows to count....much less effort for them to eat 3 cubes of chicken and 3 cubes of cheese, than a whole serving of either.

8
5 2

We called this 'finger dinner' when my children were small. They *really* enjoyed choosing what to eat next and liked that they could use their hands without getting a frown from mom.

0 0

Our family lovingly coined this as a 'variety plate!' All my kids ask for this often:)

0 0

I do a "make your own" lunchable with whole grain crackers or mini-pitas, cheese, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes and sometimes a bit of cooked turkey bacon cut up into cracker sized pieces or a hard boiled egg cut in half. For dessert either some apple sauce, pure fruit leather or mixed berries. My kids seem to like this any day of the week!

8
0 9

I pack my children with sandwich, fried noodle, or fried rice (which is very common in Indonesia). You could make the three of them in different styles.
My children like my korean Fried Rice the most. Just simply put some sesame oil on the pan (one spoon), stir garlic and onion, after becoming yellowish, put some carrot and slices of beef/pork, fried with some fish sauce and sweet soy sauce , until it becomes tender and juicy, then put some paprika (long cut), pour and fried the cold steam rice together with the previous ingredients. Finally ,according to your favorite taste, put some chicken powder, salt and some black pepper on it (if your children like).

7
2 25

Protein Snack to prevent dips and waves in blood sugar (protein is a long term glucose stabilization):

T T Cream Cheese
3 T Almond Butter
1/3 C Coconut Milk
1 t All Natural Honey

put in a bowl, microwave for 1-2 minutes, stir/mix well.
We use this as his mid morning snack as an apple dip since he can't take p-nut butter to school

6
0 29

We make our own pizza lunchables with the mini whole wheat sandwich thins, 3 little 2oz containers of organic pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni. Add a fruit and a treat...my kids LOVE making these little pizzas at school and I don't feel bad giving it to them! I have also sent mini Greek gyros, homeade nacho lunchables, banana and nutella rollups, and another favorite is a lasagna cupcake. Use wonton wrappers instead of noodles and layer your favorite lasagna toppings in a muffin tin.....bake until bubbly, let them cool and send them for lunch!

5
0 0

My son loves pesto and cream cheese sandwiches, cream cheese and jelly, or goat cheese and pesto. another big hit is a peanut butter banana, or cut apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it so it already looks brown~

3
0 0

My daughter has the same tastes as your son:) Also try cream cheese, pesto & cucumber, or peanut butter, honey & thinly sliced apple- that's yummy too!

0 0

Hummus with wheat thins, triscuits, or pita chips is healthy and tasty. You could try it with veggies such as pepper strips, carrots, or cucumbers. My son also loves to just eat slices of avocado as a snack or part of a meal.

2
0 1

I love yogurt for a snack, but most yogurts have a ton of sugar. For a no sugar, homemade, high protein version, take 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt and stir in a Tablespoon of your favorite all natural (no sugar added) fruit spread or jam. The beauty of this is you can buy a huge container of Greek Yogurt and mix up the flavor everyday just by adding a different spread. And there's no nuts involved!:)

2
0 4

I make my own fruit leather using a home dehydrator, blender, one small pkg. of jello gelatin (any flavor) and apple sauce. Combine the powdered gelatin with a blender full of apple sauce (about 6 cups) and blend until smooth. You must have the solid plastic liners that fit in each tray of the dehydrator. Spray them lightly with cooking spray and spread out approximately 2 cups of mixture per tray. Dehydrate on the same temperature as you would for fruit (on my dehydrator that is 125-135) until still slightly sticky but not crisp. Some dehydrators come with instructions for the length of time for fruit leather.

2
0 0

you can also make with a thick smoothie :)

1 0

Whe my kids get off the bus at 4;30, they are ravenous! its a long wait till supper at 6:30 when mom and dad are both home so we can have supper as family. We make plain cheese Quesedillas or add any other fillings, meat, salsa, to your tortilla wrap. Holds them over till supper!

2
26 4

I do this for my son and he loves. I take a couple slices of ham and lay it in a muffin tin so it forms a small bowl. Then I crack an egg into and then bake at 350 for like ten minutes depending how cooked you like your eggs. Then I make toast and cut it into triangles for dipping. When the egg is done, my son likes the yolk runny enough to dip, then I scoop it onto a plate and surround it with the toast triangles, add a few grapes and carrot sticks and my son is one happy camper. I made it on a whim one day and he's asked for regularly ever since.

1
0 16

cream cheesewontons chilled

1
70 28

Sounds a little Funky, I know..... But these are SO yummy and if you have foodie kids, they will love it :)

"Fat Piggy's"

toothpicks
1/2 pound thinly sliced ham, or prosciutto, or cooked but flexible bacon
3 pieces of string cheese cut in to 4 small thin strips (or small rounds of soft feta)
12 pieces dried apricot or prunes

wrap fruit with cheese, then meat around cheese, secure with toothpick. I will sometimes add a flavored mayo (fresh basil or rosemary) in the mix if they're for me ;) or also put them on Townhouse crackers or similar.

1
3 17

I prepared variety of fruits for my son's snack & variety of vegetables & rootcrops for his lunch

1
0 16

This is a variation from Pampered Chef's cheese crisps recipe :}

Cheese Crisps with Black Beans!
Ingredients:
Sliced chedder (or your favorite)
Cooked black beans
Turn oven on to a low broil. Place cheese slices on baking stone and some black beans on top. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let it cool and serve!

1
5 2

Love this idea!

5 2

Only one answer? Share! Don't second guess yourself. :)

My input would be along the same lines as Sheila's. Take canned biscuit dough, roll or pat out flat, spread with a bit of pizza sauce, add a topping or two and finish off with shredded cheese. Bake until golden around the edges. You can up the nutritional value by using whole wheat pitas, veggies and low fat (or vegan) cheese instead. Cut in wedges and send them off with milk and a piece of fruit.

1
0 0

We make Taco Puffs, which are close to the hamburger cupcake ideas. Make your favorite Taco meat mix, then line muffin cups with crescent rolls (the bigger ones work best) add a tbls or so of meat mix, a tablespoon of corn, a sprinkling of cheddar cheese then wrap the top of the crescent roll together and bake according to instruction on pkg.

57 6

Instead of the usual rice and side dishes, I combined brown rice, mashed potato, salmon flakes, spring onion and black sesame seeds and make race patties by pan frying the patties that are dipped in egg and sprinkled with some flour. My son loves it and it is less messy. You can find the recipe here: http://sotayoutlet.blogspot.com/2013/11/salmon-salmon-salmon.html

0
4 0

I have recently bought some Snacks from KFC For Break Fast.But I like little spice for lunch.I have also some coupons for Lunches.Here you can get
Coupons For Lunches

http://www.couponinput.com/

0
294 0

we make pizza shells , you go to the store and buy the jumbo pasta shells cook them , then fry up either ( meat , sausage, or no meat ) put anything your kids like like my son likes mushrooms, onoins and sausage fry that up with some cheese and a little pizza sause then put that in the shells in a baking glass spread more cheese on it a a half tespoon of pizza sause then put in oven until the cheese is melted and cool for a few minutes they can eat it with their hands if you do it right look it up on betty crocker and you can fix/ or change the things you put in it to just make sure you don't make it to soupy

0
0 0

toast with elephant egg
and mango shake
.
.
.
.
good day

0
2 15

I make bento lunches for my daughters, I wish I could post the photos here but here's the link in case you want to see them: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bento-Lunch/117023195018861?sk=photos#!/media/set/?set=a.117024231685424.21885.117023195018861&type=3

Variety is the key, a little bit of everything... some fruits, cheese, a bit of rice, vegetables, etc. Some of their teachers and classmates check out and even take pictures of their lunches :)

0
0 0

I made a whole list of healthy snacks - alternatives to your usual potato chips, gold fish, crackers, etc. These are all things my kids eat but I enjoy them too. My two favorites are roasted chick peas and kale chips. You can see my list here --->

http://www.skinnyscoop.com/list/eden/healthier-alternatives-to-potato-chips

0
0 60

My 5 year old son loves raisins and yogurt. He loves yogurt covered raisins as well but I don't feel like they are actually healthy. So I put a baggie of raisins along with real yogurt in his lunch. He ends up putting the raisins in his yogurt and has a wonderful end to his healthy lunch. He also loves peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches, I talked him into letting me put sliced grapes instead of jelly, well it was a hit not just with him but his friends too! It us really yummo!

0
0 0

I like doing the biscuit (in cupcake tins) and using Manwich Meat Sauce, topped with cheese. This microwaves well, and in toaster oven, wrap with foil, and it's ready for lunch, or as a quick snack while skating boarding, before dinner. A good snack/lunch on the go. Also try breakfast.

0
0 0

Cream cheese has been a favorite substitute for years.
Low fat or regular it can be mixed with raisins, or nuts and spread on bread or celery sticks.
Mix with dill and a little pepper and spread on cucumber slices.

0
0 0

I am excited to share that now there are some really delicious and nutritious choices that just became available... Amasai Cultured Dairy Drinks, SueroViv Sports Drinks, and Raw Cheese. This is alive food, tons of essential fats, vitamins, probiotics... living foods that can now be ordered online and shipped straight from the farm to your door! There is even organic probiotic rich chocolate!! Your kids will love these real foods!
www.farmfood2u.mybeyondorganic.com is the link to order. I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of this new Beyond Organic company Jordan Rubin launched Nov 1, 2011! Be Blessed! Rachelle Rankin, Independent Mission Marketer for Beyond Organic

0
0 8

I take a sleeve of Ritz Crackers and slather each cracker with Peanut butter then top each one with fruit of some sort. The kids like Banana the best, I also sometimes sprinkle cin/sugar on top.

0
1 0

you are lucky if your school allows peanut butter and jelly. My kids schools are nut free so not even allowed any other nut spreads

0
0 0

figures.....a few kids are allergic so everyone has to comply with their restrictions. That's ridiculous! I am allergic to dogs so does that mean nobody should walk their dog near my house? I don't think that is a realistic expectation.

0 0

I am a little sympathetic to the peanut allergy due to family members who are allergic. It could be deadly for someone to come in contact with peanut butter. If a child has peanut butter on his or her hand and does not wash their hands after eating then goes and plays on the play ground. Then the one or two who are allergic come in contact with the spot the other kid left. It could be tragic.

0 9

It sounds like some people need to educate themselves on peanut allergies. We should all be aware of the seriousness of this allergy for many kids. Be sympathetic and understanding, comply, because if you don't, to some this allergy is deadly. Don't you remember when they banned peanuts on airplanes because just the air particles of the contents of one bag from someone on the other side of the plane could cause serious injury to someone with this allergy? It is a pain for those who cannot pack a pb&j but theres more to lunch than peanut items. Didn't you find it strange that your school has STRICT rules about peanuts, but not about dust, grass, latex, perfumes and other common allergies? It's because the peanut allergy is very serious, it's not like a dog allergy where you can take a pill and your fine.

0 0

Its not ridiculous...my daughter has a tree nut/peanut allergy I appreciate schools being nut free...its not fun racing your child to the ER when she can't breath and is turning purple from a nut!!!

0 0

Debbie, could you be more selfish? Some allergies lead to anaphylactic shock, not just an itchy nose/eyes. I bet if it were your child you would see things differently. Consider yourself lucky.

0 0

If the allergy is that serious then I guess the kid should be isolated from the world because everyone is not going to comply to deal with the occasional allergy here or there. For your info, the airlines have gone back to serving peanuts on the airplanes and if someone is that sensitive, they should fly a private jet or not fly at all. The schools my children have attended do not restrict what other kids can bring in their lunch but rather have a peanut free table for those with allergies to sit at. People need to take control of their own lives and deal accordingly with their own special needs and stop expecting the world to baby them and give them special treatment.

0 3

If your childs school has a ban on nuts you should look into sun butter which is made from sunflower seeds and does all that peanut butter does. Great with jam on bread. Available most stores and pretty cheap at trader joes.

0 12

My friend's daughter has a severe deadly peanut allergy. Their family was on a plane to Florida, having been promised no peanuts on that particular flight. Well, someone didn't get the memo, and they served peanuts. My friend's daughter had a severe allergic reaction just from a bag being opened at the other end of the plane, just from it being in the air. She can never go to a ball game. If they go to Dairy Queen, she can ONLY have a cup of ice cream from the machine, no toppings (they are all kept together on same counter with peanuts). She cannot have ANYTHING made on the same line as things made with peanuts, tree nuts, any nuts. Her mom has to read EVERY label when she shops. Birthday parties (both at school and home), halloween parties, vacation bible school, any gatherings where people bring their own food are a nightmare for her to figure out if it is safe for her daughter. And our schools are NOT peanut free. I understand the utter frustration parents may feel when not being able to send peanut butter to school, but please stop to think about it and how you would feel if it were your child. You would want people to assist with accommodations for you. It is frustrating for everyone involved, the parents, the child, the teachers, the school, the parents and other kids, everyone. But it is a child's life that is being saved. To me, that is worth a little inconvenience. And I agree with Jocelyn Mahoney above. You cannot compare peanut allergies to other allergies that can be helped with medicine. There is no cure and no medicine to help prevent the peanut allergy reaction.

0 0

I am the mother of a 6 year old son with allergies to peanuts and all tree nuts. Small children especially can be sloppy and as Lisa said peanut butter gets on hands and travels from there. I only wish my son's school was nut free. Save the peanut butter for an after school snack out of respect. We use a lot of sunbutter at my house, which is similar to peanut butter, but made with ground sunflower seeds. Its actually pretty good.

0 0

Quite honestly I am glad that schools have nut bans in place. My daughter has a nut allergy and many don't even realize everything that you have to watch out for. The simple thing as a child eating peanut butter on toast and not brushing teeth well enough after could kill someone with a nut allergy. Anything life threating should be banned from schools.

0 0

Debbie, try and imagine seeing your child, can't breath, throat swollen, lips turning purple, eyes staring at you so scared. And all you can do is jab an eppy pen in them or hope that someone else knows what to do if your not there. It's horrible. . . . And praying that you got to your child in time. I am so greatful that my child's school is peanut free. She feels safe and so do I.

0 30

I totally agree there with you Jocelyn! One of my two children gets the rare bit of eczema however my other child has server allergies. Currently we have seemed to have managed his condition and is under the age of 2 so definitely has not tried nuts. I know that nut allergies can occur via air transfer etc... I am dreading the days where my son attends school and could possibly swap foods with other children. I feel that alof of people do not understand allergies until either they or their chld suffers from them... But hope that people do try to educate themselves as sending their children to school with peanut butter (just because they do not realise or believe the danger they are putting others at), really could be very dangerous...

0 0

I am sympathetic to the peanut allergy as my nephew has been rushed to the hospital on more than one occasion, however I disagree with schools mandating allergy free zones. It creates a false sense of security. Just because the child didn't bring peanut butter to school, doesn't mean he didn't eat it before school and come to school without washing his hands. Parents of kids w/out allergies are not thinking about it at home...they can easily send their kids to school without proper cleaning after eating nuts or pb. It makes more sense to create a strategic plan for the kids with allergies....and always be prepared. My nephew's school does not have a nut free zone policy, but the school is equipped and trained to handle an emergency and he has been taught how to be extra cautious.

0 0

For all the parents who feel safe just because your school is nut free, that is exactly what I am talking about in terms of a false sense of security. How do you know what the kids in your child's classroom ate for breakfast? How do you know they washed their hands or brushed their teeth well before coming to school? How do you know they didn't have a PB&J toast and wipe their hands on their clothing? You don't. So to feel safe because your school is nut free is foolish. Just because a kid isn't bringing the PB&J into school in the physical form, doesn't mean they aren't bringing it with them.

6 10

Honestly, it's not like people are making things up about their NUT ALLERGY!!!!!!! We would love to have it so easy as just throw them a p & j sandwich and they CAN eat it and love it!!!!!!!!!! If your child had an allergy so severe; you wouldnt be so negative if you saw one of your children go into a Anaphylactic shock! Thank God I havent had to use my sons epipen, and I hope I never will, but we've come close to it. So the next time you want to put out a ridiculous statement about people who are allergic to nuts, make sure you're not making an a** out of yourself; DO YOUR HOMEWORK! I hope you never have to see your child trying to breath or hear them cry & beg for your help because they cant catch their breath!

0 18

Boo to Debbie's comments. I feel sorry for the people who have to deal with you on this subject. You seem difficult.

0 0

Based on everyone's responses who thinks all public areas should be a nut free zone because they and their kids don't know how to deal with their own allergy, good luck in life trying to get everyone to conform to your special needs.

0 3

Debbie ... one day perhaps God will pay you back in your own coin.. good luck!