Should you pay grandparents when they babysit?

Grandparents are sometimes the most frequent babysitter a child has. Should you pay your parents or parents-in-law when they watch over your kids? Is it different when it's a frequent occurrence versus a one time situation?

0 20

I've been watching my 1 year old grandson 3 days a week at my daughter and son in law's house since he was 4 weeks old. This is something that I wanted to do since I don't work and I was unable to do with our other 5 grandchildren since I DID work. They do pay me to watch him while they work but I don't expect or want them to pay me if I babysit when they go out. The extra money really helps us out, of course, and they would have to pay someone else to watch him while they work. I think this arrangement works out great for them since they don't have to take him anywhere and they know he's getting a LOT of love since his being watched by his Nana, and I can truly say I LOVE my job!!!

93
1 3

I agree whole heartedly with your arrangement...I would love to be the Grammy that is close enough to babysit 6 month old grandson. Fortunately his has his other set of Grandparents and Great-Grandma to shower him with all the love he needs while Mommy and Daddy work. I do though get to be the Grammy that gets to take him overnight occasionally and spoil him and send him home...HA!!! lol

0 0

During the winter, when my mother was laid off from her job at a golf course, she would watch my daughter while I worked. It was either pay her or she would have to work a parttime job. It was so worth it, knowing my child would be spending the day with someone she loved, in the house she practically lived in anyway. Grandma even let her bring her pet kitty so he wouldn't have to be home alone all day. A wonderful arrangement for everyone. If I chose to go out on the weekend, which was very rare, she did not want paid, but I would bake a cake or mow her yard or some other little chore. Bottom line, never take your parents for granted.

2 20

I to wish that I was the Nana that was able to watch our 6month old grandson, but our son and wonderful daughter n law lived in Ft. Hood Tx. and as of now our moving to Tn. So he'll also have his other set of grandparents to watch him,when our son and his wife go out,but as far as work they'll have to pay for day care. The other set of grandparents work also. We live 8hrs away=( But would do it for nothing.....just to have time with him, my husband and I are both retried. I think as far as paying grandparents that is there choice. If the kids can afford it then by all means pay grandparents,because you know they'll go and buy you and the baby something .I would put the money in the bank and when he starts college give it to himC=

7 20

This is the arrangement that my daughter and her husband have with the two sets of grandparents - we get paid (less than daycare costs) for all day during the weekdays, but babysit for free when they need someone for a couple of hours on the weekend. I retired from teaching three years ago and the money isn't a lot, but certainly helps out! It also lets me buy things for the baby that I otherwise would not be able to do!

9 0

Good for you nanna, you have the perfect balance in this situation..since they can afford a sitter, its great you can be there. Its so hard to trust children to a strangers care, and they can help you out a bit...but they offered, you didn't ask. Perfect situation, and good for you!

0 8

Be thankful! I started babysitting my best fiends daughter's four month old son. She never pays me! I even half to bring my own food most of the time. We'll the child is almost 6 monthes old and I have been keeping this child regular 12 hours a day interacting with the child, singing to him, bouncing him, and feeding him and changing diapers! I asked her yesterday could she give me a one time $25.00 and her reply was"sorry I don't have it" when she makes well over $25.00 a day not counting her husband who makes good money! I'm beside myself! I quit my job! Any responses?

0 0

Let's face it.....if you pay the grandparents to watch the children, most of them will probably save the money and spend it on the grandchildren and you!

68
0 5

yupper!!

0 199

That could be true, but if your parent is your daycare provider while you work, each payday your should at least offer her the money, and if she decilines, then she will be the one who is responsible if she is tired, or crabby, or if the kids are wearing her down. Taking care of kids full time isn't easy when your are young...........but when your get older, it really takes a toll on your body, and mind this is why we have children in our younger years.

0 6

I agree with Jody......at least offer the money. I have been the daycare provider for my granddaughter since I retired in 2009. While I think my 8 year old granddaughter is a joy to be with I am not in a good place financially and I think my son could at least pay for groceries for her. For example, my husband and I don't drink milk but I have to have it on hand for her everyday.

0 1

A lot of grandparents are retired and on pensions so if the grand kids are being looked after at nanna's house at least offer the money to cover any expenses incurred.

0 14

You should ask him to buy his kid groceries period!!! Your son will continue to do what he wants as long as you allow him to. I had to pay my mother and bring groceries!! Some people just have some nerve,:(

0 41

During my younger years, having children was a great experience to me because I was a working mother..Knowing both sides of their grannies had had their own tough times raising their own children, I did not want to burden them anymore but let them had sweet times with them during our occasional visits. I agree with Jody,,'when you get older, it really takes a toll on your body..'

0 30

But as a grandparent, wouldn't you buy it for her if she needed it and you didnt watch her?

0 41

of course as a grandparent i'm obliged to take care of my grandchild, in fact I had taken care of him almost a year while her mum was away. I watched him growing those wonderful months and felt it would be hearbreaking if he is taken back. On the other hand he needs his mother's love too.

9 5

the money should be offered and almost forced on them. If they save it and spend it on their grandangels, great, if not, they probably needed it and would never let you know that. They already raised the parents so take good care of them. its our responsibilities.

0 14

That is very true--they'll probably spend it on the grand-kids anyway, but if they are truly in need of a little extra cash, what a wonderful way to help them out, not to mention you and their grandchildren, as well. It's a win-win-win!

0 27

I watch 3 of my granchildren 4 days a week, 8 hrs a day. I offered when I stopped working. Help my son and daughter-in-law out a little. They set a daily monetary offer and I said that would work. Just help out with the food and juice and milk for the kids. I know they have it rough trying to make ends meet, but actually so do I. I hate saying anything to them when I don't have lunches or milk for them. I think Im more stressed out watching the 3 of them than I was when I was working. LOL. I Love my grandchildren to death, but Gma is older and can't handle it sometimes. Hopefully things get better for all of us. I wouldn't change the watching them at all tho. ♥

0 19

I completely agree Maureen, and your son should be ashamed of himself for not AT LEAST supplying groceries, especially if he knows that your money is tight.

2 20

@ Maureen Donovan ... if both parents are working and your husband and you are financially strapped, then the parents should be bringing things over that your granddaugher needs for her daily food intake at your house ... wake up people ... your parents are on a limited income and anything extra they have to buy is expensive to them !!!!

0 0

If it is on a regular basis instead of daycare while the parents are at work, YES.
Been there done that and it worked out just fine. If it a once in awhile occurance, just enjoy having the grandkids over!

64
18 0

Very true that the Grandparents need to not be taken advantage of. Limits need to be set so that it continues to be a happy relationship. Hopefully the parents will be considerate and realize immediately the need to be thoughtful.

0 15

My grandchildren are my life. I retired from teaching 9 yrs. ago when our oldest granddaughter was born JUST to take care of her. Now I have 3 beautiful grandchildren that I watch each and everytime I am asked. I even get a bit upset when I'm NOT asked....and the other grandma is. I would NEVER consider being paid to take care of my grandchildren. My daughter and son in law often include us in family vacations, or trips to the zoo, and once even invited us to Hawaii with them as a way of saying "Thank You." I've even changed MY plans to be available to watch my grandchildren. My daughter always ASKS if I'm busy and even if I am, I say NO. Time spent with my grandchildren is more important then anything else I could be doing. They grow up far too fast, and each moment spent with them is a blessing.

0 0

Beautifully said Donna. I completely agree with you. Life is too short and I want to be a huge part of my grandchildren's lives which I am...all 4.5 of them.

0 18

I love your lovely thought towards this matter, I can't stand to see my mother or my husbands mom asking for money when they help take care of their grandchildren,

0 0

My mom kept my daughter when she was small while I worked part-time and yes I paid her. She was a babysitter out of her home and I felt like because this was her source of income, if my daughter wasn't there she could have taken in another child. So, I gladly paid her and was thankful that I didn't have to put her in daycare with strangers. Now, if my parents kept her on the weekend for an overnight or just for a few hours that was considered Nana and PawPaw time and I didn't pay. Our arrangement worked out beautifully. My daughter who is now 15 is still very close to her Nana and has many fond childhood memories from being so there often! The way I look at it.. it was a win/win situation.

0 9

While I agree with MOST of what you are saying Donna - I also feel that paying a grandparent who is used in place of daycare is only right. If the son or daughter cannot afford it, then trade something - cleaning - cooking - etc... By them paying for your "trips" you are in essence getting paid in trade.

0 0

The Russian grannies are the same. We never ever take money for helping with our grandkids. I think if you get paid you are just very good babysitter but not disinterested grandma. Please no offence.

0 5

how true is that!! i work, but still try to make time to look after mine. and yes i am asked, and thanked, and always appreciated. LOVE being a nanny

0 17

I agree 100%. I also retired in order to be able to spend time with my wonderful grandchildren. I would never want to be paid it is my pleaseure.

5 15

My sentiments exactly Donna, my hubby & I cherish every moment we have with our grandson Codie. We too would cancel anything we had planned just to spend more time with him. Our son sometimes asks us if we are busy and we say, "Noooo of course not, why do you want us for anything" lol. We see it as a privilege to have our grandson with us, he makes us feel young.

0 8

I totally agree with all you have said Donna, I loved looking after mine, but now I am a Great Grandmother but the teanagers still come to me and tell me all there secrets, its GREATTTTT

5 23

I think that everyone should do whatever is best for them. I don't live close to my mother, but when I was in the military I would sometimes need my mother to keep my kids for months at a time...I always had an allotment going to her as we were helping each other. If it wasn't my mom, I would've had to pay someone but I am so grateful that she was able and willing to do that for me. I know that keeping them 24/7 was much more than a 40-hr work week. She actually told me that I was sending too much, but I told her to just keep it there with them for "in cases". 20 years have passed and soon she'll be living with my family and me and I told her that the $$ we're giving to the sitter for before and after care we can give to her. She in turn says "no you won't, I'm glad I'm able to do it". My situation changed with time, and not everyone's situation is like mine. For my mom, now I think she's ready to be around youth to get fed "life". Short story long--- do what works for YOU!!

5 23

Add a comment

45 0

I agree with you Janice 100% I'm not a grandmother yet, but my sister is I think the kids are more with my sister than the parents.....I'm sending her this page and your comment!!! Fingers crossed for her!

1 10

Ofcourse u would pay if it was a regular arrangement, they are saving you a load of money & they have already raised their family, whilst they love doing it, parents don't have children later in life for a reason. They have passed that stage in life, and I'm sure they would do anything for us, but appreciate what they are doing and pay them for there help...

54
0 5

I love my grandchildren so very much!!! I love keeping them, but if you consider the cost of daycare and transportation a little something is better than nothing, Daycare for a toddler is about $1000. a month. Don't you think you should pay them something?

0 15

Yes you should pay grandparents if they are caring for your children while you are working... i.e. if you would normally pay a licensed childcare provider or summer camp, winter camp, spring camp, etc. If it is an occassional outing, dinner with hubby etc, it would be better to spring for dinner for the grandparents as opposed to financial compensation. Most will enjoy dinner on you and spending time with the grandkids a treat.

38
0 10

I babysat my grandson while his mom went to school, even though she wasn't married to my son and they weren't together and I quit my job to do it, I still never wanted and wouldn't ask to be paid, I just felt it was wrong.

0 0

I agree with you Michelle. I feel it is wrong to be paid to watch over your own grandchildren.

0 20

my mother in law charged us to watch her grandkids while we worked. She is a licensed daycare provider though...

0 9

Well you may all be financially well off enough to do that sort of thing, but not everyone is. I don't feel its wrong at all when a parent is working & you are used in place of daycare.

14 20

bobbie it sounds like you dont think you should baid for day care becuse they are her grandkids well they are your children and yes you should pay

0 0

My first response was "Of course not!!" But then in re-thinking this, I would have to say the answer could be yes if it was on a continual basis because of a job. However, if the parent is a SINGLE parent who is not earning much, then the answer would be no. But all in all, I think it is an individual decision and cannot be answered with just one or two answers.

33
1 3

I have to disagree with you as far as a single parent not having to pay while working. Regardless how much that parent is paid in wages they still need to be held accountable and be responsible regardless if it a grandparent or not watching the child. Some type of compensation whether it be food and drinks for your child while there at grandparents or perhaps a gift certificate to a restaurant or a favorite place to shop every now and then to show appreciation. The grandparents were not the ones who made the decision to have the child the parent/s did.

0 7

I think Forrest Cook is correct. My son is 15 and I am and was a single mother since he was two. It wasnt my desicion for the dad to leave and his mom wasnt volunteering. I hope to be able to watch his children alot when he has some. I want them to know what it feels like to have a stay at home adult with them. And I was a preschool teacher and I think preschool is a luxury for certain and a necessisty for others. I think children do better at the younger years at home or with consistency until age four or five. I mean come on who would volunteer to watch twelve kids its crazy; Ahh but preschool teachers do. I want my grandkids in small groups and I would not charge, but i would want my daughter in law to stay home.:) Oh a double edged sword.lololo

0 0

I definitely agree that the grandmother should be compensated. My son who is a single father, makes minimum wage and to put my 2 yr old granddaughter in day care would cost him almost $1000 a month, which of course he cannot afford. My hours are being cut back at work from 40 to 20 so I am going to watch her myself. But I am taking a cut in salary so of course I expect him to pay me. If he is gonna save $1000 the least he can do is kick in a few hundred. You are not teaching your kids anything by giving them a free ride!

0 3

Watching the grandkids is one way that I can afford to help my kids. I don't officially get paid for it but I get things like getting taken out for dinner or getting the grass cut, weeding the garden ect... I appreciate the help. I live out in the country and my place is the only place the kids have room to actually play outside without having to be driven to a park. I love it when my grandson say's grandma I'm home! when he walks in the door.

3 30

My Daughter is a single mum, and works 16 hours a week, so to pay me would be a waste of time her working, and the alternative to that would to sit at home, and live off the social, but I'm proud she gets up and goes to work, she has a beatiful home, and runs a car, and her little girl has everything she needs, so I have to say NO, I wouldn't dream of taking any money off her, it also has helped me get a really close bond with my 2 yr old Granddaughter. My good deed doesn't go unnoticed, my Daughter does treat me, and takes me out, so I feel appreciated that way.

831 16

I agree that is depends on the financial situation of both the grandparents and the parent. In other countries grandparents watch their grandchildren and would never thinking of being paid. If the grandparents are well-off and the parents are struggling then I don't think they should expect pay, but maybe favors, particularly physical labor favors that might be more difficult in their older age. If the grandparents are not financially well off and the kids are then yes, I think they should be paid. But honestly, the idea of parents making a living off their kids leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They always say "It takes a village to raise a child."

0 17

It is a pleasure to keep my grandchildren and would never want to be paid. The joy of having time with my grandchildren is worth way more than any amount of money.

1 1

In some cultures, like mine, the grandparents help raise the grandkids without payment because it's the way the family relations are. My grandparents raised me while my parents worked full time. Now my mom is returning the favor. I did not pay my mom when she watched my daughter full time because we were barely able to pay bills and she watched her as a favor to me so I could save money, just as her mom did for her. But I did buy her gift certificates for her massage place so she could have some relaxing time on me. Now my daughter is in preschool and my parents watch her a few times a month on the weekends or after school and they don't get paid because they actually ask to have that time with their granddaughter because they miss her and they know I need a break. It's just family helping family.

31
0 0

My family works very much the same way. My grandma watched us growing up, and now my mother watches my children part-time. I do have a nanny come over for the busy part of the day, so that my parents aren't so worn out, and the kids can go on fun outings. I think each family is different, and it is nice when parents help out if they can.

6 0

love ur culture...its a human culture n any culture that encourages for payment is wicked culture to me

0 19

I have been looking after my beautiful grand daughter since almost born and I don't expect my kids to pay me. They pay for gas to get there and for wrk and grocerie day but how they show me more is once inawhile a gift, or plants. I want them to get ahead in life cause that is my gift. I was a single mom and could only do what I could for my kids so now I do this and boy I have an incrediable bond with my grandbaby which is soooo beautiful. My kids show me how much they appriate what I do with alot of love and a beautiful hug and more!!!and they gave me a beautiful grand daughter!

24
0 3

I think this is a fine idea if grandparents can afford to do it. We are not all in that situation. Some single grandparents are still working to keep things up with the bills. In this case it is appreciated if an offer of payment is made, especially if one is giving up a days work to accomodate.

0 19

I can't afford it though I am just helping, if they want to give me a few bucks then ya it helps can then I can go and do more with her. I wrk 10 hrs 3 days a week in a care home and then help them but I do knw soon she will be in pre school and then school so I am just hanging in there but I will admit I am burning out but what does help is when she comes up running up with a big smile and says GRANDMA and hugs me!! That helps alot!! but the kids now a day should relize that it does help with a couple of bucks if they can help!!If I had tons of money then no but if we don't alitlle does help

0 2

It depends on the financial status of both the parents and the grandparents. Also depends how the relationship is between the families. Is that the only time the grandparents see the grandchildren?

24
2 0

If I tried to pay my parents for baby-sitting they'd be insulted. I often buy token gifts for them to show my appreciation but payment for them would be insulting.

18
0 3

My parents were insulted - so what I did was once a year we packed up for a very long weekend at the ocean - all expenses paid for them. We all enjoyed it very much and I know my parents felt appreciated.

10 15

I am a grandparent and it is nessesary to offer to pay if it is weekly. but ocasionaly or for date note no. they can say no but offer. I am saying it is not okay to use your parents or grandparents as your sitter for free. Unless they offer!! Good luck

15
1 0

I agree with you Jilene. At least offer, I would take the money and keep it for them when they needed it. Since I watch them 5 days a week and 10 hours a day, I am wiped out by the end of the week.

0 20

I make $150,000 a year, my mom recently lost her job. Of course I pay her. And really, even when she was working, I made more than her. I would pay a sitter, so I should pay her. I don't feel that I should benefit financially while she is struggling.

She says no, but I slip it in her wallet anyway.

12
0 19

Good for you! You should be very proud of yourself for helping her the way you do.

0 199

I say yes you should pay them. Thier time is valuable, and they love your children. Just because they are your parents doesn't mean you can take advantage of what you would be paying for if they could not, or would not take care of your kids. I have taken care or my grandkids numerous times, and the most pleasurable ones were when I was the person who initiated the time we would spend toether. Remember this it is NOT and I repeat NOT your right, to use your parent as a daycare provider without consideration of the time and effort it takes to care for your chidlren. Your parents deserves the same respect your give a SITTER or DAYCARE CENTER. If they choose to keep the money and spend it on the kids so be it, if they don't take them money when you offer it to them so be it. BUT make the effort each payday to let them know you understand how valuable they are to your family. What an asset you are to the household finaces. You might now afford full price, but come one everyone should be compensated for the JOB they are doing.

THAT being said, and occasional outing that is different. Or when the parent themselves intiates the activity, and asks for the pleasure of having the children join them then no by all means no payment should be offered. Grand parents have raised their kids ( you are one of them ) and they should not be expected to raise yours. It is YOUR responsibilty and Yours alone to raise, pay for and take care of your kids. IT is our JOB to give them love, play with them, shower them with treats when they visit, and take them on outings when we are up to it. FOR crying out loud people. WE HAD KIDS WHEN WE WERE YOUNG FOR A REASON, Now we just want to enjoy them, and send them home to Mommy and Daddy to raise, and nourish.

12
0 199

love having mine too occassionally. but when you have 13 of them, or when you have 3 that are babies and you are getting on in years with arthristis, and migraines, and menopause. Well everyday 10 hours a day is too much. Say what you want but unless you have done it, you would'nt say it isn't a JOB, and would want to be paid and appreciated for your efforts. Not asked to sit for the kids again on Friday or Saturday so the parents can have a night out. What about the Grandparent having a break or a night out. Plus I still have a 10 year old myself so I am pooped after running after those little ones all day, then my daughter wants to know what's for dinner?

3 0

My Mother watched my kids for me and when she couldn't my sister did. I paid both my Mother and my sister and was very proud that they were with family. They never complained and my Mother would always say you don't need to do this. Funny thing though she started treating herself to pedi's and getting her hair done so the money was making a difference in how she felt about herself. I am now the grandmother and I watch my grandson while my son and DIL work because I want to but also because they can't afford to pay for daycare. If they could they would, the point is its a blessing for me and them also I get to be as special as my Mother was to my children. I think if you can, great if you can't just know how lucky you are to have been blessed with someone who loves your kids and cares out of love not just for money!

12
0 0

I pay my mom. She has made a commitment to watch my kids for the next year. We feel so absolutely blessed to have her! She is awesome! She would like it if I paid her less, or if she could do it for free.. but we have an agreement that is beneficial to both.... And I absolutely will not pay her less then what I would pay for them to go to the daycare.... It works out to be cheaper though because I only pay her for the days I need which is on average 3 days/week.... My children are able to stay in their own home and she drives my 3 year old to and from pre-school!! And both my kids get all the love and affection from their grandma! You can't beat that! Seriously am I the one who lucks out or what??!!!! I love going to work knowing my kids have my mom!

11
1 4

Yes, if its more then twice a week, I think there should be some sort of compensation.

11
0 20

I guess its up to the grandparents if they need the money or not? I babysit my Granddaughter and count it as a privlege and i would never take money from my kids... I do it to help them out!

9
0 0

Agreed- it depends on the need- both sides.

Profile Picture
0 9

I have watched my grandchildren for the kids while they work. We have 8 grandkids here and there have been days when I have had all of them at the same time. Yes my kids do pay me...if they had to pay daycare it would cost them at least twice as much, plus they know their kids are well taken care of being with me. We spend time learning things, not always what a daycare center would teach them, but we learn to count, we learn colors, and we have a good time.

For parents who think it is wrong to pay grandparents then you need to rethink the care your child is getting and be grateful for the grandparents who will watch your kids and pay them for doing so! Remember we may be grandparents, but we can still work somewhere else and make more money, so be grateful!

8
0 17

I always paid my mom to babysit. She needed the money and was too proud to ask for help. So I told her she was helping me cause she was cheaper than hiring a nurse to stay with my son.

8
0 0

I think that it can work for many people. I have had 4 children without any help when they were small exept from my husband when he came home from work. Our parents were never close enough to help and that would have been great if every now and then we could leave them with the grandparents both for the sake of the children and parents. I do however feel that at age 63 now i am not prepared to be a full time mother/granny as i did more than my fare share when i was younger. I also have a life and i made many sacrifices to be with my children when they were babies untill they went to school. My husband was the only breadwinner and we did without much in order for me to be at home with the children, I feel that young people sometimes are not prepared to make sacrifices these days and they want to start off with so much more than what we had when we were young, I know that life is more expensive these days but that is relative, we just did without!! I had no car for 5 years and i already had 2 children at that stage and then when i did finally get one it was a very cheap second hand car. What i am trying to say is that we had fewer expectations and just made do.Why do so many young people want so much these days, not all of them i know. So i feel that if i made the sacrifice so can my children, afterall the best place for a mother and her children is really with her children especially from birth to age three.

7
0 9

I agree with much of this. Each family IS different, and the circumstances are as well. In my experience, the younger generation do expect more, and often have an attitude of entitlement. I know of two recent situations with grandparents providing care for their grandchildren by single-parent daughters where the daughter A-gain got pregnant (guess what, grammy, you are going to have another one to care for). Grandchildren ARE a blessing, and there is nothing more precious and no greater reward than spending time with grandkids. But along with that, if the parents aren't being fully responsible, then the grandkids might grow up with the same, or similar, attitude. So we are doing our best to not only love our grandkids, but teach them responsibility and accountability as well.

0 0

My grandmother raised me when my mother wouldn't and now watches my daughter when me and my husband both have to work. We can barely afford to make ends meet while we both work much less pay a full time babysitter. I can never repay my grandmother for all that she has done for me and my family. But I do everything I can to help her out. If my daughter needs something for grandmas house I make sure she has it. And if my grandmother needs something i am always there for her. God bless the grandparents and great-grandparents for doing what they can when they can. It's all about the small things in life. we may not be able to pay her as one would a regular babysitter but I will never take for granted what she has done for me and will always make sure I am there for my kids and grandkids the way she was there for me.

7
0 199

But you see you are paying her. You value her time, her energy and her efforts. Paying isn't always about money. It can be about involvment. Your grandmother knows she can count on your to get the things she needs, the things the baby needs, and that you care for her, and her sacrifice and dedication to your family. BRAVO for both of you. That is as it should be, but too often is not. Job well done to you Kimberly

19 0

Even a once-off requirement depends on the type of babysitting, ie no of kids, ages, kids requirements, ie whether they need to be fed, bathed, sleep-over, read books, etc, etc - there's just too many to consider in such a single question as all parent's and kids requirements vary on a regular basis.!

Ito frequent baby-sitting, again way too many to consider to answer a simple yes or no...

Consider hours, chores, ie schooling, driving, feeding, bathing, laundry, you name it!...
And remember all baby-sitters, al-be-it older kids, parents, grand-parents or in-laws( regardless of age) all need their own time to rest & recouperate - kids are exhuasting!!!

Wish you the best!

7
0 0

I quit my job 2 years ago. I am single and maintain my own home. I take care of my granddaughter Monday through Friday from 7:00a.m. until 5:00p.m. I do get paid for taking care of her, if I didn't I would have had to continue to work. This works great for all of us. My daughter does not have to put her in daycare, I can pay my bills, and my granddaughter gets tons of love and attention. We do something every day. We go to the zoo, library, gym classes, we do crafts, we play in the parks, we laugh, sing, dance, and take naps! She will soon be 3 and time flies very quickly. I hope that she will always remember the love and happiness that she has given to me.

6
0 15

Very nice

Profile Picture
0 0

I was just reading the responses and felt the need to speak up. My husband and I have 5 children, 4 that have children of their own. We have watched all of the grandchildren aged 1 - 17) at one time or another. We have been paid something by each of them when they could afford it. Sometimes money, sometimes meals, all the time HUGS AND KISSES!!! I know that my grandchildren are trusting, loving, and beautiful. I know that they are safe from weirdo strangers and don't have to travel far for a sitter. They love Papa and Grandma and my children and they're spouses know that we would die for the kids. We are retireed and have never asked for payment. When we walk into the house were the youngest children live they go wild because they know they are going to be getting all the attention and spoiling.

6
0 8

If they have a job yes I think we should get paided

6
0 0

If is on a regular basis while they work, yes, grandparents should be paid. I did it from 5 months until school age, i enjoy spending time with my grandkids but this is a job. I take care of them occasionally, without pay. Pick them up at school just to be with them, that's a different thing!

6
0 0

I watch my grandchildren on a daily basis. I drive 1 to school at 7;30 am and pick him up at 12pm and then I go pick up another grandson from school at 2:15 and I have another 8 month old with me all day. My daughter gives me money for this because I supply the gas for my car and I also supply food for the grandkids and also diapers and formula for the baby. Diapers and formula and jars of food can be very costly. I lost my job 9 years ago and at that time my husband had a very well paying job but now he works 2 jobs and money is very tight. If I were to go back to work my daughter would have to pay for daycare and it would cost them alot more than they give and my grandkids would not get the love and care that I give them. I don't take any money for just a night out on the weekends. So depending on the circumstances I have to say yes >

5
0 0

Short and simple.YYESSSSSS. I love my grandson so much. The money would go to him anyway. Between two parents I think the loving parents should be offered. Do you agree with me.?

5
14 20

yes i do

1 38

I watch my three-year-old granddaughter and wouldn't dream of accepting a dime from my daughter. She is a struggling single mother, and all I do is feed her. I am paid in much better currency that money :)

4
0 8

I would not think of accepting payment for keeping my fun, loving grandchildren. I am blessed to have them. In fact one told me last weekend that they have two homes. Theirs and mine. They have their own bedroom and bath and all the little girl things, like bath powder, and etc.

They are now 7 and 10. They are learning to cook and are now making pies.

4
0 16

i waitress and am blessed enough to only have to work friday and saturday nights. but maybe once or twice a month i will be asked to work a lunch so my mom watches my 2 1/2 yr old and 2 month old. she also offers to watch my kids whenever i need to get things done (painting, major spring cleaning or just a night out with my husband). i don't pay her, she doesn't want it, even though she could use it. so to make up for it i'll drive her to her docs appt. (45 min away) and won't take her gas money ;) or if we go out for lunch or shopping i'll buy her lunch or a shirt that's on sale or something. i think this works out well, we just use the pay it forward method!

4
1 12

It is not necessarily paying them by the hour; it can be somewhat of a barter system--like buy them a whole week's worth of grocery; do their yardwork every weekend; offer them to pay one of their utility bill; take them on a vacation trip; treat them for a shopping spree at the mall and buy them something special; offer to cook or buy them dinner on a daily basis or weekly basis; if financially binded, think of re-setting priorities where it is manageable & save, so parents can eventually be able to do something for babysitting or give something in return; etc. There are so many simple ways to show gratitude of taking care of your kids. Best of all, a simple card that says thank you from you & your kids is a great way to show the love & care they give you in a weekly basis or daily basis. This way, parents are teaching the kids the value of gratitude. If the kids are babies, then parents should do them for them. Sometimes, parents forget the simplest things in life because of hectic schedules. The act of kindness & gratefulness are important to create emotional bond and lasting relationships. Remember, it is better to give than to receive; blessings come more abundantly without expecting.

4
1 16

I'd say no way! Unless it is regular baby sitting not a once off and then i think providing money to cover food, outings, petrol is a good idea!

4
14 20

always offer and if they dont want it they will turn it down.

0 0

The best advice My Dad ever gave me......"Take care of the people that take care of your kids. They are taking care of the most precious thing in your life, make sure they are happy." Whether it's grandparents, Day-care, a friend, or an extended family member, work out some way to show your appreciation. My husband and I both worked when our kids were little. He worked a day shift, and I worked a night shift. My mom had our kids for 2 hours everyday while our work schedules overlapped. I offered payment, and she refused, but everyday I asked if she needed anything. " I'm stopping at the store Mom, you need some milk?" "You want a ride to the grocery store this weekend Mom?" This should be something that should be dicussed BEFORE you leave your children, with anybody. It's tough when both parents have to work to provide for their children, but part of taking care of your children is making sure they are loved and cared for, even when you can't be there. Never stint the baby-sitter.

3
0 20

Our daughter is a single mom, who has graduated from college with a double degree, she is finishing on her masters while also completing her teaching credentials. She works full time, has just purchased a new home . She has to works weekend and is off on tuesdays and wednesdays. So we watch our grandaughter thursdays, saturdays and sundays. She goes to daycare 2 days a week. We wouldn't consider asking for payment, it a pleasure helping our daughter and our grand daughter.

3
0 17

I am a single mother of 4 girls, 21,18,and a set of twins. In my divorce my ex husband was to pay half child care, and 186.00 every two weeks, will he neber helped out with child care, and child support was always months behind, i worked 2 jobs amd went to collage,i paid my mother and sister and the day care.to take care of my older girls, later i had a set of twin girls which r 6 years old now, i am and have been staying home to care for them because the cost was double, my income is very limited very low now, my oldest daugther gave me my first grandson, ehich to say i have.been caring for 99%of the timr since birth because she decided she was.going.to do drugs, there were times when she would be gone for weeks, so now i have him full time plus mt twin girls, my x husband which is the grand father works, has a good job and is always gone, but my daughter signed medicak custody to him over me bevause i dont put up with what she does,so i am the one cares for him everyday and make sure he learns and is fed everyday, so i told him he needs to help me out with money because we have come to agreement that i have him during the week and him on the weekends, but that doesnt work either i habe him from 5or6 am till 7or8 pm at night ,he told me it was a respondabilty of me being the.grand parent to watch him for free, i dont agree i.want to be the grandma not the.baby sitter, my daughter is now drug rehab but is a.waiting sentencing for prison time for several years i feel that my xhusband that has custody needs to pay me and help out with our grandson. I have raised my two older daugthers on my own with any of his help,so he needs to take part also

3
0 0

YES your ex should help!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 1

i watch both my grandchildren 6mths and 2and a half, 5 days a week 9 hrs a day. I would not dream of my daughter paying me, I love having the kids. My daughter does treat me quite often and also buys shopping for her household and mine as a way of helping us. yes it is hard work but when you get a big smile from them both and big hugs from one it is all worth while, and i would not change it for the world.

3
0 13

at least offer to ...if once in a wile maybe no,if all the time then maybe yes.it realy depends on the sitation.and i watch my 6 Grandbabys every day and yes My Daughter and Soninlaw do take very good care of me for doing so.we are a big Family and for the most part we r very Happy Family.in this day and time Familys have to work together to make it....

3
0 18

My mother in law retired early because she wanted to watch my 2 kids and her daughters 2 kids.She has refused to take money from us.I do not take advantage of her at all. And I rarely ask her to babysit when we are going out for an evening because I know she will refuse money then also. My sister in law , on the other hand, lets her kids practically live at Grandmas. It drives my husband and I crazy.But ,to make us feel better about the situation, my husband ( a construction worker) volunteers to do everything they need done around the house. At the moment he is building them a huge garage attached to there house. Something they have always wanted!

2
1 1

My son was divorced and had custody of my two granddaughters. I quit my job and lived with them for 10 years, because without my help, he couldn't work and support them. When the girls were 10 and 12 years old, he wanted to go it alone. I live by myself now; but I wouldn't give up those wonderful years. I didn't receive a paycheck, but I had my room and board; and my son would give me spending money. This world has changed; and I'll never forget the nasty remarks that were spoken to my face. One woman, who I'd known for 20 years, said, "You're not their grandmother, you're their babysitter." Another woman said, "When are you and your son going to get married?" I replied, "That is absurd, Nancy! I am a grandmother, taking care of her grandchildren, and you would make such a rude remark to me!" There was a day, when family took care of family! Now, it seems that everyone is turning their backs on their families, when they need help.

2