Is a television OK in a child's room?

Would you allow your child to have a television in their room? Why or why not?

6 0

I have raised two kids now 26 and 30. They are both on their own - educated, married and have their own homes. When they asked me how old they would be when they had their own TV (telephone, computer, even small refrigerators) in their rooms, I asked them how old they would be when they could buy them, have a house or dorm room to put them in and pay the electric bill to run them? We had a cordless phone, TV's in the family room, kitchen and living room and a central family computer.
Worked then, and will work again - we are currently raising our 5 year old daughter and she doesn't seem to have an issue. She sleeps just fine - we read at least 30 to 40 minutes every night in the big rocking chair near near her bed. Then we sing some songs, tuck her in and she drifts off with her favorite doll a few books at her side.
Sorry to disagree, but good books have always worked. We let her watch TV, but it is limited and rarely commercial.

45
3 0

I feel so sorry for your children. You are a horrible and depriving person.

3 32

good for you! I agree with you 100%!

1 20

I agree! Why not give ur children luxuries where you can of course age appropriate like tv's so that if they act up you have something to take away and discipline them that way... I agree ur depriving your kids I honestly do feel sorry for them!

9 20

Kids do not need TV's in there room. People who say you are depriving your children are dead wrong. I have 2 children 21 and 16. They did/do just fine w/o one in there room. There is 1 in the living room and it has to be shared, point blank. I could afford one in there rooms but I refused. They have shelves of books and a library card. We go to the library together. We also have a closet full of board games. They are both avid readers, and once they hit junior high I never had to worry about them getting up early for school. On weekend's they can stay up late and watch tv. They also had one night a week they could stay up late as long as they could get up for school. No tv in kids rooms. Somethings were just better back in the day. To many privileges and you have a spoiled entitled child, that won't leave.

55 44

Like my last comment, people are cruel and funny how i see Krystal on here saying your a bad parent as well. OMFG i had a telly in my room when i was like 13 it was given to me as a christmas present. Both my brother and i got one. And yes i can see how it can cause issues, it also gives your child a sence of independance and responsibilty. To thins mom i do not think you are "depriving" your children of anything. if anything you are encouraging family time and encouraging her to learn to sleep without aid of electronics, and in todays society that is so important!! Hey Krystal, still waiting for your "perfect parenting book"

3 32

Let me clarify, I do NOT think you are a horrible parent! I agree that you are doing the right thing for your child. Spending time with them reading etc... is quality time thay will NEVER get from a TV.

2 4

Who are you to decide that tv is a luxury? I don't pity her kids, the have mom that was willing to read to them and spend time with them. Wow, this site is harsh. Why would a mom judge another mom? We are all just doing our best. We love our kids and try to do things with their best interests in mind.

3 31

You feel sorry for the children? Really? The first t.v. I had in my room I bought when I was in college. Poor me right? Wrong... There is no need except maybe so you can have your own time. We have a two + year old who has never sat down to watch t.v. He doesn't like it. Loves books and playing and preschool. We have tried Disney etc, but nope, not interested. I have to say he does know all the characters from Sesame Street and Disney, from Books!

7 9

Lynn, sounds like you're a great mom and I hope I handle things similarly if my kids asks for a TV in their room. Your daughter is very lucky that you are able to spend 30 to 40 minutes every day reading to her. :)

10 6

I am sorry, but horrible and depriving? That is ridiculous. There is no need for a child to have a television in their room. Unless, of course, you are a parent who needs it to babysit your children and keep them out of your way so you don't have to interact with them. Let them watch tv in the main living/family room with or without you. Don't let them hide away in their rooms zoning out at a television set. If they want to hide in their rooms, let them use their brains and imaginations with books, playing with toys or stuffed animals, or whatever else those great little minds can dream up.

26 14

seriously? not having a tv in a kids room is depriving them? I totally disagree. I don't think a tv in a kids room is a good idea. Personally I want to be able to see what my kids are watching. I also do not want my kids to sit in front of the tv all day and night long. We do books at bedtime instead of tv and I find that is much better for helping them learn to read and have a joy and love for reading. I know a lot of people do choose to have tvs in their kids bedrooms and I don't believe that means they will have bad kids, but I totally disagree that not having one in a kids room is depriving. That's just ridiculous!! Good job Lynn focusing more on books than TV. Too many people spend way too much time sitting in front of the tv and kids have lost their love of creativity and love for books!

18 29

Man the people on here are just so rude. I'm sorry but who are you all to judge people and call them depriving. She spends quality time with her kids and teaches them to work hard for what they get... its called realism. You give a child everything they want, what will they expect in life... to be given everything without working for it. It teaches core values. I don't let my kids watch tv whenever they want. If I did they would be mindless drones staring into space. They don't miss it when its off. They want to read, play games and most importantly play outside with friends, being active... I also don't feed my kids McDonald or crap food , got something to nitpick about that???

0 7

Depriving? Really?.... Since when is not allowing a television in a child's room considered deprevation? Her children obviously are well adjusted adults. And it sounds like she is doing actual parenting to her daughter, instead of letting a tv do it. Which kids are really deprived here?

0 45

First of all she never said they couldn't watch tv. What she said was that she limits the time and has them doing other things! I wasn't brought up with a TV in my room. My grandmother made us do more things to stimulate our minds like read, write, sing. I bet you this family also has her kids in church every Sunday too. How many of you do that? But you say she is depriving her kids. Of what??? Shelter, food clothing, love....... What is she depriving them of? Nothing!!!! TV is a luxury not a given! My daughter watches tv on Saturday and Sunday only! She is 8. I also have 2 COLLEGE GRADUATES boys who did the same! If you don't have kids that age DOING WELL for themselves you may want to take a page out of our book instead of saying we deprive our kids!!

0 13

I agree with Lynn P. Look at what is happening with our children now!!! Too much identity issues, tv, electronics and computer have made our children into little robots. Besides look at the way this world is turning, parents are parenting less and children are raising themselves because of the age of technologies. We are loosing the battle so yes i agree with this woman because she choose the right way of bringing up her children.

0 36

I totally agree with your approach. I don't think you are depriving them at all. It sounds to me like you are giving them love and personal attention and that makes you a great mom.

14 0

Too many parents use a TV to "distract" their children. I've seen it in baby sitting and even with my friends. The "new age" moms do it ALL THE TIME, to get a break. I admit I have even fell prey to this method at times when I needed a few minutes(although I use pbskids.org or a DVD, as I don't even own a TV, same result just less commercials). Even my grandmother wants to put a TV in her spare room with a crib for when my toddler comes to spend the night. My best friend plays a movie every night to bribe her 3 children(ages 2, 4, & 6) into bed and yes they fall asleep to it every night after about 2 hours of being up past their 9pm bed time mesmerized by the TV. I'm not saying I completely agree or disagree but think about it....Back in the day people didn't have TV or if they did it was only 1 and there was not nearly that many choices. That age grew up more active and more responsible with A LOT LESS teenage drama. Spending time outdoors was more fun, kids got more exercise and people in general were happier with "less". If people actually went out of their way to put more educational, learning shows on it might not be so bad but I don't suggest it. Or use it as a reward and privilege in exchange for extra good behavior.

106 1

Sure Lynn. Sounds perfect. However, do not be surprised when the adult children raise their future children/your grandchildren in a much different way. I have a grown son. Educated/Masters (does that make a difference?) My son is self sufficient owns his own home and had a tv in his room from age 11. He had a computer and cell phone at 14. The books work well At age 5. Age 15-16?? Not so much. This is not "little house on he prairie!" Just saying!

10 35

Please don't put a tv in her room. Kids are exposed to too much tv as it is. If you look around there are TV's in a lot of public places....even in cars. Kids need to read more because they won't have any problems being exposed to enough technology.

0 0

you are a horrible mother and were you born in the 1800 there are parental controls you know

18 0

NO,NO and NO! TV is something that should be limited and not used to help a child fall asleep or used as a tool. A child's bedroom should a quiet place reserved for quiet imaginative play,reading and winding down at bedtime.TV should not be used as a babysitter.

38
4 0

I agree 100 percent. Kids get overloaded with electronic things.

0 0

I don't want to insult you but it's the 21st century. People are treating technology as if it's this horrible thing but it's really not. Unless your letting your kids watch tv literally 24/7 there's no problem with it

Profile Picture
18 0

Having a TV in our oldest son's room was the worst parenting mistake my husband and I ever made. As a teen, he would go to his room, turn on the TV and tune out the family. He never developed good reading habits either.

Our younger kids, now teens, will never have a TV in their room, and interestingly, they are all avid readers. We have a large TV in the living room and share time together selectively watching certain shows or movies. It is never on as a 'companion' or as 'background noise." That's what music is for!

32
Profile Picture
1 20

The horrible parenting part is you automatically judging your younger kids based off of the oldest behavior! You as a parent need to understand each child is different and so needs different parenting, some kids you have to be on top of others not so much! I have two kids 6 and 8 and they have had a tv in their room since they were toddlers just mainly for movies here and there or when they have friends over other than that my 5 soon to be 6 yr old son reads dr suede books word for word and beginning to end! Him and his 8 yr old sister love reading... All it boils down to is PARENTING!! If your oldest son was trying to tune yal out with the tv that wasn his fault it was YOUR fault for allowing it!-- that's when you take the tv out and explain to him it's a luxury and until he changes his attitude he won't have that luxury! But seriously DO NOT JUDGE YOUR OTHER KIDS BC ONE OF YOR CHILDREN U LET GROW UP AS A BRAT! Js

Profile Picture
4 18

Every child is different. Just because one child will watch tv endlessly and tune out the family, doesn't mean your other children will.

Profile Picture
55 44

Krystal, you should take your own advice and realise that kids are all different as well. And you need not be so cruel. i myself do not have a telly in my daughters roombut do occasionally put my laptop in and play a movie or shows depending on her. You Krystal do not need to be so callous and start calling out this parent and her skills. If so maybe you should tell us your problems with your children when hey are teenagers. Or better yet when you have "perfect children" from your "perfect parenting" you should write a book and make millions, let the world know how you NEVER made any mistakes as a parent. God some people these days are just so cruel and only attack!!!

Profile Picture
4 22

I agree Chandra. So judgemental! Shaking my head at Krystal.

Profile Picture
76 34

Wow, I can't believe how mean Krystal's comments are! There was no call to attack Mary and her choices. We all make the choices we can live with, she learned from her first child what she couldn't live with and adjusted. That's her choice, it may differ from yours and that is fine. There is no reason to say she's a bad parent because she's not doing the same thing you are. Shame on you Krystal!!

Profile Picture
1 20

Lol Smh at yal who over analyze things...lol

Profile Picture
1 20

If you don't like what I have to say than... Move along.. Read along!;) many of you woman are typical over bearing woman who are quick to say NO before trying things out or quick to judge your children before your children can show you what they are capable of... Let me also add my kids ALSO have a Nintendo ds EACH!... Omg!!! Yes I said it they hav a ds!! Wait for it..... (waiting for the overbearing mothers response lol) and it was not by choice bc at one point I was saying NO to a ds for 5 yr olds! But it was a gift already given from their grandparents so needless to say they did become a bit addicted to the ds and I set rules in place as any parent should. And in my home we are ALL ABOUT family time... Needless to say having a tv and even their own game system at a young age AND setting ground rules first hand has brought me to see my kids rarely play their ds but on long road trip and BY THEIR OWN CHOICE... My kids at 6&8 make great choices bc i allow luxuries to them, not to spoil them but to teach lessons... But also so I show my kids I trust them to make decisions, right decisions! You mothers who automatically assume ur younger kids will be and act like your older one did your just causing ur younger kids to want to act out and be resentful towards you. Rather than being quick to say NO, how bout using things to help teach lessons on how to control themselves? God forbid they get a car at 16 and it's their first "luxury" that they drive it off and get in a wreck bc they have no idea how to bare their excising with a new luxury. ... As for you moms saying where is my parenting book!! Smh you woman are typical woman to overanyze things and make it bigger that it really is. I won't ever claim to be the best parent as there is no such thing but I do know and it's common fact BAD PARENTING is when u judge ur kids based off another's mistakes! Yes kids don't need tvs or video games... But what's the harm? The real harm is when parents don't parent kids who have such luxuries really! And I say luxuries bc these things we didn't have yrs ago so obviously IT IS a luxury! Some of you woman are silly and make me laugh. I had an opinion and expressed it, I'm not one to sugar coat things... Love your kids but PLEASE don't judge ur other kids off one of ur older kids! Most of the time the older ones r brats bc they were an only kid for a while lol so it's gonna happen;)... Good luck to you all and I nething please take what I have to say in the nicest way possible as its all life's experiences and things I've seen .. So yes I state ONLY FACTS... ;) thank you have a good day!;)

Profile Picture
76 34

How dare you sit there and accuse us of judging our kids! You're not in our home, you don't see what goes on. I'm glad your kids are showing good judgement, not all kids are able to do that despite parents letting them make choices and directing them in appropriate ways. No one said the TV was harmful, they just said they didn't want it in their child's room. Get over yourself!

Profile Picture
3 3

Great comment Chandra. I as well thought that was awfully harsh & judgemental.

Profile Picture
18 29

I'm with you Chandra, Krystal those comments were uncalled for. There isn't a manual for raising kids. The first one is all about learning what to do :( she learned through her first one, didn't repeat the same mistake, its called learning... if Mary had let the other kids do the same thing, then you MIGHT have a right to say something about her parenting. I really hope you learn something from this Krystal. We should as mothers, support one another, not attack :( shame on you

Profile Picture
0 14

*Analyze. Krystal seems lonely and a bit angry. I will pray for her.

Profile Picture
0 7

Wow Krystal, judgmental much? You really need to take your own advice and drop the holier than thou attitude. Is that what you teach your kids. We dont need anymore hypocrites loose in the world.....

Profile Picture
0 1

Krystal, I am just sitting here wondering how you could assume so much from such a little paragraph. We are not here to sling mud at each other nor to assume that a child is labeled. All Mary stated was simply that her son distanced himself from family by living in front of the tv too much. One should not deduce from that that she is saying he is a brat nor that he wasn't a good kid. All I get from that is that he is sucked into the tv and prefers to be a loner instead of reading or out with kids. You are right, kids are all different but they also become what they become due to what we allow. Mary, my hat is off to you for realizing the damage and making good changes for the next children. As we notice our short comings, it is important to make a change in the hopes that things will improve. Can we all please remember that we are on here to encourage one another and lift each other up? Blessings.

Profile Picture
0 15

I agree with Chandra!!! Krystal, back off and don't be so cruel. These ladies have older children and are posting what has worked for them. I would hope that those of us with younger children would learn from them. I myself did NOT have a TV in my room as a child. If I wanted to watch TV I did it in the family room where mom could see what I were watching. And not in my room where it could be a distraction from homework or reading. And on a related side note, I was not much of a reader as a child/teen even with no TV. I have 2 sons, ages 6 & 9. I have to limit the amount of "screen time" whether it be TV, computer or video games or they would be in the house all day. They need to learn that TV, computer & video games should be balanced with fresh air, outside play and good books. Do you give your kids free reign with sweet treats/junk food, too? No. They need to learn balance and they are only going to learn it from you.

Profile Picture
44 0

To Krystal.... I do not agree with you... I believe that with all the electronics out there, adding a television is absolutely wrong. We make sure that at 10pm, everything is turned off. The laptop/ipads are easy to store and the bedroom turns into a bedroom. A bedroom is to be used for sleeping... if a child eats, drinks, and watches tv in their room, it is a setup for them to have sleep deprivation. I do not believe they are judging their younger children, it is trial and error and I am sure they are mad at themselves for allowing the oldest child to have what he had. It is sad that children are getting away from an old fashion book.... I comment those parents who read to their children at night...

1 0

No. Children watch too much television as it is. If they want something to do before they go to sleep let them read or read to them.

21
0 0

I also wank my children

0 0

I also wank my children

1 0

My kids, who are now grown, both had televisions in their rooms. I allowed a DVD player and antenna access, but no satellite. It provided some respite from watching the movies the kids loved, but once was enough for me. Most of the time, though, they continued to watch TV in the family room with me. Obviously, I don't find a problem with kids having a TV in their room as long as there are rules associated with them.

21
1 45

Sounds pretty much like me and my boys. There is only so many times i can watch yi-gi-oh or The Amanda Show with out screaming. That is pretty much the only time they us their tvs are when im watching the tv and wont give in .

4 21

same here :)

0 4

Same here my boys watch dvd's in their rooms but they have no aerial to watch other tv and its only at night and to be honest they don't end up watching it as they fall asleep which i find its better they fall asleep in bed instead of the chair as I would have to fight with them to go to bed once they woke if they fell asleep downstairs....They don't watch much tv anyway as they are always outside with a football or hurley when the weather is dry enough for it

0 0

Penis

0 0

Yeah same My Katie is what, 11 now and all she ever does is watch TV

0 0

I agree. I remember my mum first got me a tv for my room. I mostly watched the Sarah Jane adventures on it so I wasn't using it as a way to watch inappropriate shows

0 3

Yes i would allow my son who is two years old to have a tv in his room. He loves disney jr. And while im getting ready i cut on the tv and it wake him up. He will sit still and interact with the show s until im ready to get him ready . I will get him dressed and we will both laugh and joke and interact with the shows such as Mickey mouse. Besides everything i watch on my tv may not be appropriate for him to watch so he should have place to watch educational shows ... even though 9/10 all the tvs are on disney

14
0 0

My kids watch porn so I can't do that stupid fucking shit

0 0

I strongly dissagree with that parenting Danika Jenkins

5 8

My child will never have a tv in her room. IF we watch television, we do it in the living room (& all shows are pre-approved by me), & it's usually only for an hour. My daughter is an avid reader & had quite an imagination, which I don't think would've developed if she watched more tv. She sleeps well, typically 11-12 hours a night - she has no distractions & doesn't rely on the sound or background noise to relax. We always have girls' night on weekends when we watch a movie or 2 together (makes the tv a special treat). I would not want her to spend time away from the family in her room, by herself, watching tv, & I would not want her to see anything inappropriate for her age. I would rather encourage reading books & playing games together. She will never have a tv in her bedroom while she is living in my house. :)

14
0 0

Stuck up bitch

0 1

My daughter is also not allowed to have a TV in her room. She is 9 and also an avid reader. She is a great little violin player and does very well in school. I am just reading through many of these posts and find the language and grammar in them interesting. The parents who allow TVs in there children's rooms seem a little rough around the edges. Just a funny observation.

0 0

Same here Erin McCall

5 0

All 3 of my children have had TV's (no cable) and they have grown into gifted and talented and well adjusted kids. They interact with family, have friends and play like other kids. TV is just an extra like any other extra. They use it to unwind for an hour before bed (like I do) and they have recently discovered some of my old favorite movies and musicals. It fun to talk to them about what they liked or to hear them quoting from it or singing songs from them. Has given us a whole new topic to discuss. I think they like hearing about my childhood memories around those movies or shows too.

13
172 54

My child is gifted also - but, he has a TV in his room AND video games. One thing does not have ANYTHING to do with the other!

1 8

If they are truly gifted as you say, then I would have to conclude that it is in spite of the T.V. because T.V. puts the frontal lobes to sleep which is very damaging to a developing brain. The sad thing is your children might have been even smarter if you had not allowed the T.V.. We don't have a T.V. at all in our house. Our children can go on long trips without complaining They can sit still in boring adult meetings. All of them started reading around age four. One of them is seven and will be ready for college math in three years, reads at a college level, learning Hebrew, and will be allowed to go to college at age 13. No my children are not geniuses or gifted. They are average children that are being raised with high standards that use to be common 100 years ago. I don't have gifted children, however, compared to today's children they may appear to be. I would like to challenge every parent here to set higher standards for your children. They are capable of so much more. The standard has been set way to low and we are damaging their brains with TV, video games, and poor diets. Stop the madness. If your child is truly gifted, then turn off the TV and let him soar to new heights. If your child is gifted then he or she should be able to out perform my average children with their hands tied behind their backs. Your children are blessed if they are gifted, don't hold them back another day!

10 30

I couldnt agree more! We are not letting children grown and develop to their full potential. Robbing them of their ability to learn and be educated. and they cant do that if they're smothered in video games, tv and poor diets.

4 18

A child going to college at age 13 is far from being an "average" child. This isn't meant to sound rude. I'm sorry if it come's off that way. You can't really judge someone's tone of voice through a computer. ;-) Average kids go to college between 18-20 years old.

1 8

You didn't sound rude at all. Perhaps I should have clarified more. I agree the average child in the public school system would not be ready to go to college at the age of thirteen. They are kept at the same level as every other child. I call it assembly line education. So my child compared to a child in a typical school setting would be above the average. Now when I say my child is an average child, I mean that her IQ is not on a genius level. Her performance, though, is high. Many children have this ability but are not being allowed to achieve it. Also do some research and you will see that going to college at the age of 13 or 15 during the 1700 and 1800s was very common. My nephew completed college by the time he was 19 and started working as an engineer. He too was allowed to reach his full potential without T.V. and video games. I promise you my children are average and they achieved their high level through hard work and having high standards set for them. Also their school days are only 4 to 5 hours long. I don't keep them locked up for hours studying.

5 0

Never realized there was such hostility about this subject. I still love Einstein's quote. "A fish will go it's whole life thinking it's an idiot if it is judged on whether or not it can climb a tree." And did I not mention that they don't spend hours a day in front of a TV. Our schedules don't revolve around what TV show is or isn't on. (We dont have cable), It's just an extra like ice cream or a trip somewhere nearby. I don't think I have low standards at all but I do want my children to be able to self regulate when they are older. I know kids in our area who secluded from video games, TV and certain music became rebellious young adults devouring as much of that as they could once no could tell them not too. I thought lots about this before I did it. I don't like being judged for either.

1 8

I didn't mean to be judgmental but perhaps I was. I still stand by my belief that T.V. is much more harmful then most think and should not be allowed in a child's bedroom. We also do watch an occasional show about every 3 months or more. However, daily viewing or even weekly viewing is damaging to the growing brain. Check out the book "Remotely Controlled" by Aric Sigman. It is wonderful. Also I don't know anything about the boys that you said went rebellious but I don't know that it is not because they couldn't watch TV. It is a much deeper problem and it lies in proper early training. No child is born with controls. A parent must first provide those controls or they will not ever be able to self regulate at all. If they are left with to many options to young and are not corrected then they will end up rebellious. I have a feeling that is what happened in the case you stated. But you cannot assume a child will learn to self regulate by just giving into and letting them do as they please or else you are setting them up to make poor choices. If a child is still pitching fits and cannot sit still when need be past the age of three then one better act quickly or else that child will rebel as a teenager. http://www.aricsigman.com/

29 27

Jennifer, you mean to tell me that you think a child that will go to college at 13 isn't gifted or a genius? You're children are not just average and you are the one that is mad! Anyway, for my family, tv is just like every other luxury, everything in moderation!

16 10

My children both have a TV in their rooms, heck we do too. We still read and tuck them in at night. During the day we play games, go outside, and use our imagination. I think my kids are well rounded with their activities and after being with them all day it's nice to send them in their rooms to either play or watch tv. Most of the time the TV is on but they are playing house or kitchen or getting books out. My 6 year old even has a DS, leap pad, and leapster. She is on them maybe 15minutes. Because would rather be outside or reading a book. Which I encourage but those toys and Tv which we have a portable one is great for on the go. Also, when daddy and mommy need time together we can put their favorite movie on and Have the time we need to stay connected. And NO the TV is not a babysitter in our house but let's face it when you stay at home with the kids you have to be able to have your needs met too when you can causing you and your spouse to be creative and a TV in their room helps. As I write this my 6 year old is right beside me and no TVs on just her and me while her brother 3 is still sleeping. My children will not be the ones I have to worry about when they get older they are independent, creative, smart and know right from wrong, and have friends .Although great for you about your child able to go to college at 13, I hope he/she turns out okay, many gifted children have social issues and are the ones us as a society need to watch carefully, not because the society rejects them but because they find themselfs very different and can't handle it they are not old enough to handle certain situations no matter how smart they are!

1 0

My children (6 and 10) each have a T.V. in their room (and have had for years) but at the moment they only have the option of watching DVDs as we recently canceled our satellite service. We've never had the problem of midnight viewing or neglecting the family. Now, they have access to a few channels of broadcast T.V. in our office, Netflix (either in the office, living room, laptop, or iPad), or watching a DVD. My son (10) is reading at an 8th grade level, and has been on the honor roll at school for the past two years. My daughter (6) loves to read/be read to and also does very well in school (they don't have letter grades yet). We teach them that there is an appropriate time for things and that school is important. They know that they need to get up early every morning and to do that, they need sleep. They also see what happens when kids don't have rules, are allowed to stay up late and watch whatever they want on T.V. Some of the neighborhood children (and their parents) don't get up on time to get to school, have behavior problems, and have been held back in school. I don't see T.V. as the enemy. It's how you raise your kids that makes the difference.

9
5 0

I agree completely. Both my kids are straight A's students and know that their is a balance between TV watching, socializing and playing outside. It's all about teaching healthy choices and understanding the consequences of unhealthy ones. I want them to become adults who can do that for themselves.

4 18

Agreed! It's all about how you raise and teach your children that make the difference! :)

55 44

Everything in moderation! good on you momma!!

0 0

How doi get horny

0 0

No I dont agree girls

21 18

ive just cut tv and dvds out for my 3yo. found he was watching too much of it, mostly movies in the morning when he got up early but would ask for them again and again..... and it has been three weeks so far and he is calmer then he was and more gentle with his baby sister and he plays longer and nicer games .. even more dramatic play/roleplay :) im not a huge fa of kids watching tv, i wouldnt think it to be a good idea to have one in the room :)

6
2 32

AAP says it's a bad idea (no TV in children's rooms, and no more than 1-2 hours of tv in a day for older children) based on research not anecdotes or personal experience. It's worth noting.

6
4 0

TV doesn't belong to any bedroom. Bedroom is for sleeping, reading, doing mental work, not for watching stupid TV shows and series. Disaster!

6
0 0

Wow how better put in words! Well done Mateja Pihlar

0 0

My 7 year old daughter has had a tv in her room since she was 5. It has a dvd player and we also have it attached to the cable. However, I have parental locks on all but the typical children channels. She also knows what she's allowed to watch and what she isn't. For instance: No spongebob. She has a wonderful imagination, loves to do artwork, dance, play w/dolls, read. She's always active and rarely watches much, it's usually just background noise. The Wii is on our family tv in the living room and she's much more into her children's games on it than too much tv. My philosophy is that the child wants what they don't have. If you let them have it, within reason, it becomes something that is not really worth the effort of fighting over. Please don't get me wrong...I'm not talking about spoiling in ANY way. I had a tv in my room while I was growing up, but I too rarely used it. Actually, my old tv is in her playroom and it only works with video tapes...remember those? =) We have some older disney movies that she pops in while she plays with her barbies, dolls or with her kitchen. Again, just basically background noise.

6
0 16

agree my son and neice that are 2 love watching Disney in the morning.They have actually learned alot from the shows. My son has a tv in his room.So that they can watch there movies and shows in the room.Even though they watch tv, we still read stories and color and do other activities.Even having the tv in the room has not had any harm.They are both very imagative and they talk very well.They know there number,colors and shapes.Plus me and both my brothers had tvs in our room.We still liked to go and hang out with the family.SO I dont see the problem of having one in my kids room.

177 7

My oldest learned his shapes and colors from Blue's Clues. My daughter has learned her colors and numbers from Dora. All three have a great imaginations and spend a lot of time playing, most of the time it is just back ground noise.

0 0

Why no Spongebob? My daughter and son love Spongebob!

0 0

You don't let your child watch spongebob but you let her play with Barbies who basically teach girls that they should be skinny and annorexic

1 19

My son has a tv in his room with no cable, just DVD player. He will go in his room early some nights to watch a movie and then when ready for bed it gets shut off. There are times when he is playing in his room and it is on in the background. He is seven and this a new thing for him. We never let him fall asleep with it on.

6
67 26

I say no. Put a reading light & music instead. The child will be more prone to read and will likely get more rest.

5
0 0

I am 12 years old and have had a tv in my room for around 3 years. I still read plenty and have a better imagination than some of my friends who barely see tv. People say tv is the reason their kids don't socialise but really it's the parents

20 0

We dont- we also limit tv during the week to one, maybe two shows- thats it. There is not much worth watching and frankly I like interacting with my kids instead of putting them in front of the tv- if I wanted that, I wouldnt have children. There is so much to discover, read and do, that tv is the bonus maybe on the weekends and we have discovered that even then it stays off most of the time. tv in the bedroom - why would I not rather spend time reading with my kid? I understand that this is not for everyone, but we have raised 4 kids this way and they all have various interests, talents and are very outgoing and bright while being very polite- tv doesnt teach that

5
1 20

My nearly 4 year old daughter has had a tv and dvd player in her room since the start of last year, We put one in there as i was over watching the wiggles on dvd a million times a week. she mainly seems to watch it in the mornings and then just before she goes to bed. So to me it is okay to have a television in a childs room as long as they aren't in there all day and not interacting with outher families members. In saying that living with my parents the only time i had a tv in my room and it was only till my sister moved out was when my sister had her own money and that wasn't till i was like 15

5
56 25

my daughter is 3 years old and she has a tv in her room it has no satellite connection but it does have a DVD and VHS player. Most of her movies were mine as kid and i have no problem with letter her use them. She does not always take naps anymore so for me it is a small quiet time so i can get things done. Other than that she doesn't play in her room she has a room full of toys that has no TV in it so she only watches TV sometimes. She is even advanced in academics for her age they told me if the district would allow her to start kindergarten she could but not till she is 5

115 28

it really depends on the child. i was very set aganst it but when my 4 1/2 year old (now 6) was still fighting till all hours to go to sleep then getting up again at 5:30am i gave in, now he gets his stories and gets to watch about 20min of tv, then lights out he almost always goes right to sleep, he just needed that time alone to wind down. and in the morning what ever time he gets up he can watch tv untill 7am. before that it was constant moody grouchy boy but that extra (he goes to bed around the same time but thinks he gets extra but really a bit earlyer) wind down time and forced lay and relax time in the morning have changed his mood for the better, and mom and day get the bit of extra rest we need to face the day and be the best we can.
it may not be for everyone but it was a great compermise for our family

5
14 40

My 5 year old has a tv but only with a dvd player. I think to each his own. You are gonna get all kinds of answers. You need to do what YOU think is best because ALL kids are different. My daughter still loves to read and play outside. She doesn't watch it a lot.

4
2 13

I have an almost 3 year old. We bought her a queen size bed and a television just before she turned 2. . . Guess what, she wants to sleep in her own room. We allow her to watch one 20minute story before bed time, then we turn off the television and she sleeps. This was the best thing we did to move her out of our room. She doesn’t watch television in her room during the day. She can play by herself and she has one huge imagination. She started to speak full sentences due to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when she was 1 and half years old. She can (now) count to 20. She knows about 12 rhymes, she knows shapes and sizes. So, if television in her room is bad for her… I surely can’t see it.

4
0 0

Let's face it.. Every question on here really depends on the child.
I have always been a firm believer that bedrooms r for sleeping... "I " can not have a tv in my room.
But my 6 year old cant fall asleep without hearing voices in background.
We do not have cable.. She can not do anything but watch DVD
Do during the school week I have a set of DVD that teach kids sight words.
She listens to that and falls asleep in less than 10 min.
On the weekend it's free to DVD. My kids hardly get any Tv time.
We do not have bed times on weekends either.
My kids make awesome grades, they r respectful, polite, sweet kids who r very well behaved.
All kids r diff in what they can process and understand
My 6 year old saw zombieland in theaters b4 she had even seen Peter pan
She does not get into Disney movies... She was 4. When we saw it.
She loves scary movies. She sleeps with no lights in her own bed with no nightmares.
She knows it is not real.
End of story.
You know ur child better than anyone. If they r mature enough to handle a tv... Get a tv
Ur business, no one else's

4
1 33

I had a tv in my room when i was 2 years old and I turned out pretty great. My son is 2 and likes tv just like I did. He gets a tv for christmas.

4
9 20

We are considering allowing a tv in our sons' room just so that they can play on the Wii without locking up the "family" tv. No cable, not even an antenna, but as much as we enjoy playing on the Wii as a family, our children have a higher tolerance for it than we do.

4
10 7

I allowed a tv in the bedroom when my 3 daughters turned 18, as seniors in high school. I figured that they would be going off to college in the fall and I was slowly giving them responsibility since they would be making all of their own decisions soon. As an educator, I see kids reading less and less and spending more time being passive and watching tv, playing on computers and cell phones. When there was a big birthday sleepover I would give up my room with the tv for the girls to watch movies, etc. Under no circumstances should kids have a tv in their bedroom. They are not mature enough to make decisions about what is watched and what time it gets turned off. Invite them to get in the habit of reading before turning off the lights!

4
6 11

There is nothing wrong with moderate television viewing. I think that for many children the medium is often background noise to their activities. I do think that it is a parent's responsbility to monitor and curb the amount of viewing that a child does.

Here's something to consider. I work with preschoolers and one of the repeating stories that I hear about why a child is tired, is due to viewing television shows when they should be asleep. I have had parents share with me that their son or daughter was discovered watching television in the middle of the night. Some of my parent unplug the set when it is time to go to bed, only to discover that their child is smart enough to plug the set.

I think that adding a television set into a child's room is a matter of knowing how your child interacts with t.v. I believe that we all need balance in our lives.

4
20 0

if it realy is the back ground noise that they like, then I have to question why? I have noticed that alot of kids have "something" on in the background- they have not been taught to enjoy the quiet or their own company without anything- kinda sad realy, so in reality, the balance we speak of is not there

1 0

i've gotta admit I like background noice..if the kids aren't here I always have the tv on whilst Iam doing stuff

0 20

Studies have shown that children arent as concentrated on playing or interacting if the TV is running in the background. I have noticed that my son (3) will actually look at the TV and concentrate on it when it is running - because that doesnt happen very often. Unlike other children who don't even realize it anymore... sad that is

4 18

I actually can not concentrate on anything if it's absolutely quiet, my children are the same exact way. Most "studies" are about as reliable as statistics are.

36 8

My son has ADHD and a little background noise actually really helps him concentrate.

3 9

My son is 6 and has a tv in his room, but it is monitored. It is not allowed on during the school week, and is allowed on the weekends. Most of the time it is just background noise because he is to busy playing, or reading. I think it is okay as long as you monitor it. The TV can become a good reward for good behavior and grades. No one says you have to let them turn it on constantly. You are still the parent and if they abuse it you can take it out as easily as you put it in. I also don't think having a TV in their room is the excuse for extra pounds on a child. Mine has a tv and is not obese or overweight. I monitor and limit his TV time, he plays sports, and continues to stay active. Again, you are the parent and can set the rules for the TV usage. Hope this helps! :)

3
3 11

Yes i will and do have a tv in my daughters room. She is 3 and occasionally watches tv in her room. There are rules and she knows if she breaks them the tv is gone. So far she hardly pays attention to it and most of her tv time is in our family living room where i controll how much tv she gets. She is active loves to read and intereact with others. There is nothing wrong with having a tv in kids rooms if there are rules and consiquences. I grew up with a tv in my room and i turned out fine. I have accomplished many things so far in my life. Having a tv in her room gives me some quiet time and helps wind down other kids that come over for the whole day when its "quiet" time!!! If your child has a tv in their room and the child has issues, in my opinion only i believe the parents are lazy in teaching their children about the rights and wrongs of tv.

2
3 12

I say no and here is why. Kids have so much now days and television is just one of many things that are in excess throughout homes. I think that it distances families because kids go there and just vegitate instead of being a part of the family. I want to monitor the shows/games that my children watch or play because there are things that they just do not need to see or play at an early age. Imagination is a gift that should be nurtured and cherished for the short amount of time that they are young. As they grow into pre-teens and teen agers why give them an outlet to distance themselves from family when truthfully they need it the most. It is hard enough to connect to your child in this age of technology I just don't feel that it is necessary and takes us away from the family atmosphere that I grew up with.

2
2 3

There is no problem with it as long as you monitor their use. My daughter is 7 and has one in her room. She only watches it once in a while. Most of the time we all watch TV together in the living room.

2
11 2

It is up to each individual parent to decide whether or not a TV should be allowed in their child's room. Asking multiple people will not give you the correct answer because this is only something you can determine for yourself.

As for me, my girls have had a TV in their room since they were old enough to enjoy TV. I bought Baby Einstein-type videos for them to watch. I also would put on some Sesame Street, etc. I would limit the amount of TV time they could have and they were never allowed to use that as a sleeping-aid. I never viewed their TV as a babysitter, but rather a teaching aid.

I always treated them like adults and never felt I had to monitor what they watched (like some parents who've commented yikes). Today at 16 & 17, they are talented and intelligent teens who also love to read. They are far better than their counterparts so I've done a good job :) and I think our usage of TV did not affect them in any negative way.

2
9 11

I think a television in a child's room is fine. There can still be limitations on how much television your child watches. During the school week my kids do their homework when they get home and after read up until about 7pm. At 7pm they can watch television until 9pm which is there bedtime. On the weekends I allow them to watch as much television as they want. The reason I allow this is because they have very good grades. If they had bad grades than things would change. It depends on your child. If the television hinders your child from progressing than maybe its a bad idea.

2
2 10

My son is 10 and has a tv in his room...when it's time for family time he knows. When it's time for home work and I say the tv goes off he has no problems shutting it off. My son is a very avid reader and having a tv in his room does not deter him from doing what he has to.

2
19 72

Well here's our little eye opener....we let our son have a tv in his room to watch movies. Freed us up to watch whatever in the living room which was great til our teen nephew moved in and we found porn in his room. Oh and he was staying in the room with the tv and DVD player. A 4 hr DVD and it wasn't rated G Disney either. So needless to say, I learned that for me and my house: no tv or DVD or computer or internet access on cell phone will be permissible for our dependants. Period.

2
2 0

We didn't put TVs in our young children's rooms because we wanted to be able to monitor what they were watching & we didn't want to have them cooped up in their rooms & not interacting with us as a family. When they were in high school, we did give in & let them have TVs in their rooms but they were all ready enjoying watching certain programs with us so we did have some time enjoying movies & TV programs. When they want to watch Dancing with the Stars or some other such nonsense, they can do that in the privacy of their room & I don't have to suffer through it!!

2
1 0

My children have Tv's in their rooms but no aerials so can only watch DVD's & Videos..They have half an hour of tv at weekends before sleep time & they know when to turn it off..They also watch a fair bit of tv downstairs especially my 2 year old,who has learnt so much from watching certain shows..They know some spanish from watching Dora & My older 3 love Horrible Histories which has really helped them enjoy history..There is some rubbish on tv but also some very good educational stuff too

2
10 3

My 9 year old daughter is getting a tv in her room. My youngest has Autism and insomnia so he relies on the tv as a quiet and safe activity for those 3am to 6am hours when I am just not ready to get out of bed! However, he is incredibly rigid with routines and there is no additional tv time during the day (which is full of school, therapy, and appts) but this also means that my 9 year old daughter can not watch tv at anytime. So she is going to have one in her room with rules on its use. It will not have satellite or cable, and will be removed if her good behavior declines. In our house, she is encouraged to take time alone in her room, its her sanctuary-the only place her brother cant bug her! So for us, the tv in her room is great-a tv in his would be terrible. I agree that its really a matter of parenting style and each childs unique personality and needs. Unlimited access for a child who will sit in front of it all the time is a terrible idea.

1
243 64

I think it depends on the child. We have a TV in the room of our four year old child, but it is for DVDs only. She still mostly watches TV in the living room. It doesn't interfere with her sleep or reading. We also had a TV in our teen son's room, but again, only for DVDs and video games. He still read a lot. We also made sure his homework was done before he turned it on. As they get older, you have to monitor it more.

1
40 0

I have a six year old who is in second grade at a year round school. She skipped kindergarten last year at a different school and this year, she's already making As. I'm so proud of her. She does have ADHD and we were told by her doctor that it isn't good for kids to watch too much tv or play video games, because it can make the inattentive symptoms worse. I can see that with my daughter, because she loves Mario and will play for hours if I let her, which I normally don't. She's had a tv in her room since she was 2, but she reads above grade level and has since the beginning of kindergarten last year. She watched a lot of Noggin (Nick Jr.) until she was 4.5 and now she still likes those shows, but she watches mostly Disney Channel. Anyway, my point is that it does seem to depend on the child, so everyone that is saying it should be one way or another, please simmer down and respect other parents. We are here to support each other, not call each other crazy. To each their own.

1
40 0

I'd like to add that we have caught her staying up late watching tv, but that's when we took the tv out for a few weeks to punish the behavior. It doesn't happen often.

5 8

My three year old has a tv in his room, no cable or satellite just a DVD player attached to the tv, we usually put cars on for him at night and he goes to sleep. Lately we have been dealing with behavioral problems, so in his room right now for a week is just his bed, no toys and no tv for him, hr can play with his toys in the living room but not when it's time to sleep.

1
23 26

I would have never given my son a tv so young three, but him has spent most of his life in a noise hospital were they use tv to drain sound so he has gotten used to it, so to get some sleep for all he has one...

1