Are vaccinations safe for my child?

There are many rumors out there about vaccinations being linked to different diseases in children. What is your opinion? Are vaccinations safe for your children?

44 6

Vaccines have been put in place to provide protection to not only your child but the entire public from horrible illness and disease. Because of vaccines, we have seen the END of so many deadly epidemics on this planet. For example the Spanish flu, the plague and many others. I don't know if anyone has noticed that since the rise in people against vaccinating their children, things like whooping cough and rubella are making an incredible come back. Children and babies are dying unnecessarily from illness the scientific community has worked so hard to keep at bay. I have had the discomfort of being around a baby with whooping cough. It's heartbreaking and sad. Before you make your decision, sit down and weigh out the pros and cons of both and what the long term effect will be if your child contracts a simply preventable illness. It's like saying I am not going to sit in a car because there is a good chance I will crash and die. Check out UNBIASED statistics that really look at the likelihood of anything happening to your child/baby after having any vaccine.

10
11 0

I'm proud to say I do NOT vaccinate my children. They are both breastfed, eat completely organic, and are (have) never been in a daycare setting. The ingredients in most of them are sickening; cow blood serum, ALUMINUM, and formaldehyde to name a few. They do NOT fully protect children from the diseases they are supposed to fighting against and the way they are cultured is DISGUSTING!!!!!! Human DNA in a petri dish from God knows when and whom? No thanks.. I wasn't vax'd and neither were any of my 5 siblings, were all just fine! Even when its 'flu' season (what a joke), even when there was an RSV outbreak at my daughter's school (she nor I were affected), I wish more parents weren't bullied by public health (schools) into thinking they absolutely had no choice or say in the matter..

10
3 51

As a Mother and RN I think the fact that this is even an 'arguable issue' speaks to the great success and necessity of vaccines for children. How fortunate are we to have never witnessed with our own eyes debilitating diseases like polio, small pox etc.? I also find it interesting that most of you who might not vaccinate your kids where probably vaccinated yourselves. With the poor nutritional quality of food available and terrifying 'farming' techniques in our country it doesn't surprise me that autism and disorders like it are now a major issue... Eat healthy and responsibly, breast feed if you are able and yep, vaccinate.

6
0 1

I vaccinate my children, not just to try and prevent them form having these illnesses, but also to help to prevent an immune compromised child form dying from what most of us believe to be a minor sickness. I am very fortunate to have two very healthy children. What about those children who could die from chicken pox. It takes a village...
I am becoming increasingly frustrated by having to defend my willingness to get these vaccinations. I am sick of being questioned by people I don't really know "Oh, but do you know what they put in those vaccines?" "Well, I just could never do that to my child. Why would you let them be vaccinated" etc. Well, I would like to keep them healthy, and others around them healthy. And the MMR argument? I don't believe it causes autism. That is my belief. And my desire to not put my boy at the risk of being infertile from catching mumps as a teen or young adult out ways any concerns I may have. I do my research. I ask questions. And I make my decisions based on the answers. But I am now considered a reckless parent because i vaccinate. Something needs to be done to stop these people, who don't have a medical degree, from judging us parents who are making an educated decision to try and eradicate these illnesses. Remember, if you have a child with a healthy immune system, you are fortunate. There are others out there who are not.

6
38 17

In some cases, the answer to this question is difficult; in other cases it's very easy.

There are a number of vaccines which all children should receive. The science on the subject is very clear, and all credible experts are in agreement. Your child should receive vaccines for Hepatitis B, DTaP, MMR, and others. Claims that vaccinations cause autism (or other symptoms) are completely unfounded: the leading study supporting that notion was recently shown to be fraudulent.

For other vaccines, it depends on the child, their age, etc.; there's not necessarily a "right" answer, and you should talk to your doctor.

But not vaccinating your children for the most important diseases is never in their best interest.

More info at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/child-schedule.htm

6
11 0

Mumps, Measles, and Rubella are all considered ROUTINE childhood illness' by many credible experts and a vax against them is NOT necessary. As far as Hep B, that is a SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE, that is contracted via unprotected intercourse with an infected person or by sharing needles with an infected person. Neither of my children partake in either activity but if yours do then I guess for you it is. As far as the autsim link not havin any scientific link therefore it doesn't exist is bullshit. Pathologists don't know where AIDS came from so I guess that's not real either. The ingredients in most vax alone are not only disgusting but DANGEROUS!! Have ya checked the amount of aluminum in them? Yeah the AAP clearly states what's safe and what isnt. The aluminum and formaldehyde alone concentrate in the brain, so hmmm MAYBE thats your autism link right there!?

44 6

Hep B is NOT just contracted by sexual intercourse. Most of the things you have just said are very UN-factual and are typical comments made by uninformed people who like raging against the system.

3 3

Thank you amanda for clearly stating what only should be said OVER AND OVER AGAIN Ummm I'm sorry to be the one deidre to have to be the one to say this but it is tru hep b comes from unprotected sex, sharing needles and handling blood like in the med field http://hepatitis.about.com/od/prevention/a/HBVSex.htm You sounded a little uninformed so if hope this will aid you in learning before for u speak. Its accusations like that, that keep people in the dark about how bad vaccines really are. Until the masses choose to step up to "the man" they are gona keep pumping your kids with harmful toxins that are mass produced by pharm corp. For a profit.

11 0

Deidre, you're ignorant. That's what is wrong with most of this country. Is not about a rebellion in the least. I have spent the last 5 years in medical school conducting various studies and clinical research along with information from credible sources unlike whom ever you are listening to. What a joke. Here this one is from the CDC SUPPORTING MY STATEMENT IN EVERY SINGLE POINT I MADE!!! Crazy how I'm raging against the system yet the system agrees huh.. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2006/hepatitis-b.htm And since youre sooo pro HepB vax I'm sure you are aware that after 10 its immunity is GONE!!! So I guess if your child is partaking in the activities listed on the cdc website they do need it. Mine however do not. My advice to you.. GO READ!!!!!

44 6

I listen to my midwives and my doctor as well as many other Mothers who agree with me. I DO read. I apologize to you however if I come off a little angry but I have this bad feeling that by Mothers choosing to NOT vaccinate, we are going to see some devastating effects. This is crazy! Knowing you are choosing to not protect a child against something that is completely preventable doesn't make sense. To me anyways. It is my opinion. I am not saying I am right or wrong. This is a choice of the many choices we as Mothers have to make for our children everyday. Getting nasty through posts about it is not they way to go. If vaccinations are so incredibly dangerous then why are they allowed to do them? And I don't think being an astrophysicist or Mother makes any difference when it comes to being informed about the same thing. This is a matter of OPINION based on the information given to us. But I will let my Doc and extremely experienced midwives know they are not very credible sources. :)

7 16

just thought i'd say, AIDS comes from monkeys....guess how we quired this sexually transmitted disease.... yeah thats right.

44 6

What?!?! I am not even going to respond to that....

21 0

Don't vaccinate! There are many layers to this issue and I've come across the why they even started this. And dont read them before bedtime!

18 6

Amanda those "routine illnesses" can either kill or cause permanent disbility. If they were so harmless why did we develop vaccines. And don;t give me the $$ answer either, drug companies actually get most of their money treating illnesses, not preventing them. And to suggest Elaines young children is "partaking" in sexual intercourse is verging on the nasty side. Respect, not thumps. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Especially considering she's right.

32 14

They are not safe for my child!! It not up to me to judge if they are safe for yours. Just not worth the risk for me.

6
2 13

please don't let them go to public school or shop in public places.. read study and watch the people out side and you will have the shots...if you want them to have a Future... sorry but true... 1 used diaper thrown out of a car and your kids are in a puddle near it and well do the math....

32 14

I guess coming from a family where my sister nearly died because of a vaccination, I see the vaccination as a higher risk than any of the diseases they are supposed to prevent. I see your point and encourage you to vaccinate your kids. I just don't feel safe giving them to mine.

44 28

Great Aunt Ardith Ann- The truth is understanding what the disease is, how it is actually transmitted, how it presents, how to treat it and the odds of a serious side effect of the disease. When your children where little in the 1960s I presume.. there were 3 shots.. for kids smallpox, (until 1972) polio, and DTaP. There are now over 30 in the first 12 months. That is a lot of heavy metals, foreign matter, and viruses to inject into a little infant. You can look up the CDC recommended schedule and then search for each vaccines package insert and look at the side effects.. those listed are only the ones that showed during the trial. No vaccine is tested for contraindications. Or safety. THERE ARE NO SAFETY TRIALS. My 25 weeker in the NICU was nearly given FIVE vaccines when she was 2 pounds 6 ounces. I threatened to have my lawyer intervene to protect her. Vaccinating those critically sick infants in the NICU was a priorirty to 'keep them on schedule' ... I know in my heart she would have died. My children are unvaccinated at ages 12 and 6 and our next baby will be afforded the same protection. Something is very wrong when Pharma companies mandate medical decisions that belong to PARENTS and then purchase the legislators to mandate that you MUST get the shots and then pass a LAW protecting the very same Pharma companies from lawsuits when those children are injured. We are 42 in the world for children's health and one of the TOP vaccinating countries. My research in the overwhelming schedule made me ask too many questions and I started following the $$$$$$$$.

3 3

I DO NOT VACCINATE

http://www.nvic.org/

http://www.nmaseminars.com/index.html

Drtenpenny.com
Dr.tenpenny advocates why not to vaccinate she tells u like it is

Keep in mind that everytime the number of vaccines go up , so does the autism rate. But they arnt caused by vaccines says the cdc. Hmmm

Ohio revesed code 3313.1 is the exemption for ohioians to not vacinate their kids and they can still attend school due to a reigous OR philisophical disagreement...

5
2 12

First look what the word vaccine means!
Here even the nurse is telling us that is not 100 % sure that you wont get sick if you have the vaccine - you will have just a light form of that sickness.
Why to insert a sickness in your child’s body if he is healthy?
Immunity doesn’t go stronger against the sickness, but it goes weaker. So your child wont have power to develop normally because his immunity has to fight with so many strange viruses. The body will fight against big sicknesses and wont have enough power to face a regular sickness.
Now we live in developed world, no? So if happens to get sick there are all kinds of treatments.
Put 100 children next a sick person – not everybody will get sick. Why to give the vaccine if the immunity works?
Then is really impossible to find the time when the baby is 100 % healthy to receive the vaccine and that after receiving it will be 100 % protected to “get used” to the vaccine.

4
32 14

@ Dalia Exactly! Well said.

18 6

The statistic for measles are that if you put 100 people next to a person with measles, 90 of them will contract it. If immunity works, why are we having outbreaks in areas where people aren's immunising? Measles, whooping cough, chicken pox, polio can all kill, main or cause permanent disability. And yes, medical science has proven that these vaccines to help your immune system against those viruses. And the immunisation isn't introducing sickness into your child, it is a "dead" virus that your immune system can imprint on and then recognise when it comes into contact with it. Your child's body does NOT have to "fight" the illness when they are immunised. Please do factual research before making these dangerous statements.

2 12

Hello Kirsten! What I wrote is based on a documentary about vaccines. What I can see from real experience is that those people who did not receive vaccines when they were babies live longer and have much more health, power than our generations. Ex: healthy life without vaccines 80 years old is doing better than 30-40 years old persons with vaccines. I am sorry if statement is so dangerous ... after all everybody is choosing for his life what is better. I choose life and my children are without vaccines doing super. May God protect us from any sickness, because He is stronger than any vaccine.

5 0

freedom of choice. I do not vaccinate my children. If they were to ever catch a disease, i would keep them out of school to protect your compromised children. When you send them to public school knowing that some of the children are not vaccinated, you take a risk, but everyone has the choice to make and everyone has the right to go to school. I do question our choices sometimes, but I then remember our dear friends who almost lost their child because of a vaccine, he was near death and on a heart transplant list for a very long time. I am grateful that I have the choice.

3
10 4

If their kids are vaccinated, then they aren't put at risk by playing with my unvaccinated children!

Profile Picture
2 0

our youngest daughter is the only one we gave NO shots to. she is the only one that had NO childhood diseases.....interesting. THEN....my husband decided to join the thousands that get the flu shots.....he was sick that whole winter....that was 10 years ago....never had one since.

3
5 6

Although vaccinations have a small chance of harming your child, they can also protect them from getting deadly diseases. I have mixed feelings on them all together. Vaccines, such as the new swine flu shot, are definitely not worth risking the side effects for, as it contains very harmful ingredients. There are threads full of pregnant women that had miscarriages due to it, and it may also have long-term effects not visible right away.

3
4 5

I struggled with vaccinating my daughter and, in fact, didn't start vaccinations until she was over a year old. We just got the MMR shot last month because there was an outbreak of measles in a neighbouring school. My gut says they're not good and yet, as a teacher, I have taught several autistic children who have NOT had their shots so, while the vaccinations may have something to do with the rise in autism rates, they're clearly not the only cause. It's a touchy subject and really, moms can only go with their instincts on this one. My second daughter is three months old and we're not vaccinating her until a year either.

6 5

I think people should ask themselves a question.

If I don't vaccinate my child and s/he gets one of those illnesses, what is the consequences for them?

How will your son feel if he contracts polio and has to spend his life confined to a wheelchair? What if your daughter gets Rubella in her 20's or 30's when she's pregnant, and her baby dies or has severe birth defeats?

I know that if my kids came down with one of these diseases, and they were seriously harmed, I would never be able to forgive myself.

Just imagine, holding your newborn grandchild, stillborn, because you didn't vaccinate your daughter. Would you be able to justify to her, in her grief, that you stand by your decision to not vaccinate her against Rubella? Would she be able to forgive you?

Just imagine, helping your son deal with his new life, paralyzed by polio. When he asks you why you didn't vaccinate him, what will you say?

If you don't want to vaccinate your children, you have that right, at least in the US. Don't justify it the world, be ready to justify it to your children.

2
51 1

If you are concerned with your daughter (or son) contracting rubella during her 20's or 30's during the childbearing period - wouldn't you consider vaccination at more appropriate age ie prior to being sexually active eg 12 years like was done when I was young, not at 12 months of age? Why do we not test for antibodies for these diseases after first 'shot'? Why do we accept that all children need 2 or 3 shots when the vaccination makers advocate that the majority have antibodies after 1 shot? Why are we not asking more questions? Why do we accept all this increase in vaccinations when most people over 35 years did not have all these vaccinations at the rate currently being adovcated?

6 5

Hmm. That's is different from my experience. I had the same exact vaccines as my kids did at the exact schedule with two differences. I apparently took an oral vaccination of the polio vaccine, my kids got the shot instead. The other is that I wasn't vaccinated for Hepatitis B, Haemophilus, or Chicken Pox, and my kids were. I got Haemopolis as a teenager, not once but three times in a row. The doctors and my poor mother were terrified that my brain was going to swell up and I would get meningitis and have brain damage. They were freaked, and I was very sick. I was exposed at some point to Hep B. I can't donate blood because I carry the antibodies to the disease. I never got sick from it, but that could have been very bad, it could have destroyed my liver. I got chicken pox so bad as a child that I was almost hospitalized. When the doctors told me the vaccines my kids were going to get, I was grateful, since I had gotten all three myself. I didn't want my children to suffer from same diseases that I did when I was a kid. Doctor's give 2 or 3 shots because it's more economical and less painful than giving a series of shots, then drawing enough blood a few weeks later to check for antibodies, and then doing another shot and another blood draw a few weeks later. It's bad enough just getting a shot, which is over in a few seconds. Drawing blood sucks even worse for a little one. I am 35. I got all the diseases my kids received an extra vaccine for. The other vaccines prevent Measles Mumps Rubella, Polio, Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis. I'm thrilled that my kids won't get those nasty diseases. Because anyone of them, except Rubella because they're boys, could kill them. And even if the disease didn't, they would miserably sick. There was a baby in Oklahoma who died last month of Pertussis. His family had been vaccinated. But he got it anyways because people don't get vaccinated. He died. 10 babies died in California in 2010 of Pertussis. My great uncle was paralyzed from polio. If you've read the little house books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder, her sister was blinded from the Measles. Her husband had a stroke from Diptheria. My experience hasn't been the same as most people, I have had more direct looks at the diseases than is probably common. They're scary, deadly things. At best they'll make your kids miserable, at worse your children won't survive the encounter. Somewhere in the middle is brain damage, paralysis, blindness, death of their children, scaring of their bodies and long term health complications. Like I said before, you don't have to justify it to me or anyone else, but prepare yourself to explain your choice to your child if they get the diseases. And if you don't vaccinate, pretty pretty please, don't let them travel to South or Central America, Africa, or Asia. Your kids are safe in places where most people are vaccinated. Once they leave, they'll lose "herd protection" and they'll be at even higher risk of getting those diseases. And they'll be in places where the medical care is already overwhelmed. Vaccinate, don't vaccinate. It's up to you. But if you don't, prepare yourself and your kids for the life that it could mean.

11 0

Both of my children were vaccinated. That was a personal decision that their father and I made. Educate yourself on the pros and cons and then decide what you think is right for your child. People on both sides of this debate are adamant that their way is the only way. I believe in vaccinations and vaccinated my children because of my own research. I suggest you do the same. Speak to doctors, do research online (find credible sources),and contact friends and family. Good luck.

0
0 0

http://www.relfe.com/vaccine.html

i didnt vax my 2 kids. i am unvaxed myself and have an incredible immune system. do your research - and dont just ask your paed, they are all pro vax and you wont get a straight answer. read some books, ask a herbalist/ naturopath what their views are. do whats right for your family after doing a ton of research...

0
17 15

Vaccines are for the benefit of the children and I think they are safe and should be given. The whole purpose of a vaccine is to protect against a specific disease/illness. There are some vaccines that should be given, linked to the age of the child, while others are not so important or region based. Ofcourse, you need to be careful abou the needles/syringes being used. Ensure that they are new to avoid the risk that comes from needle infection.

0
49 22

ok: to all of you that do not vaccinate, I ahve a question: Would it be ok for your child (or you) to carry a disease around that is preventable, and infect others that may DIE from it? If you DO NOT vaccinate, that is exactly what you are doing. I have a child without a functional immune system. She was born that way. It's called SCID....go ahead and look it up. I will wait.........Now, she cannot finht off anything. SHE WAS VACCINATED...HAD THEM ALL, but none of her vaccinations "took". What that measn is that if your child is exposed to something and we run into you, you or your child could potentially spread something to my child and kill her.
We take every precaution possible to protect her in public and she attends public schools BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO. She LOVES people and she is an athlete that plays some agressive traveling sports. SHe has also HAD some sever,e strange, illnesses that we could not identify. Some have caused permanent damage and we KNOW that every day could be the day we catch a fatal illness. She'd rather have that happen than to live in a bubble. As her parents , we must respect that. She is currently almost 15.
So, my question to you is, is it worth it? After seeing what a strange illness can/will do to to your child; is that something you really want to put your child thru? DO you want to watch as something preventable has it's way with their body? Autism?/ Seriousy? Autism affects only a small percentage of the general population...HAS NEVER BEEN DIFINITIVELY LINKED to vaccinations.(you can chose to belive a doomsdayer if you wish), but autism is certainly better than death. Vaccines are made to prevent death. Is it worth it to you?

0
49 22

sorry for the mis spellings...I was on a soapbox....happily stepping off now....

2 0

people make their own choices. its obvious my short story has validity from its own fruit. i've seen people from both sides have good and bad reports. mine just happens to be on the no vaccination side. It is rare a child has NO diseases...my other two did and they had shots. there are court cases on both sides. just like this present day sends innocent people to prison and they loose their life in a different way. A news special recently gave two stories about that very thing. very sad.

2 13

Ann babe you get up on that box any time and keep talking Mom and Ma Bell tell a Mother and Tell the World more need to listen... hugs Wisconsin and Old Blue Star...

1 37

yes it's safe. they gotta have the vaccinations or no school for them. it keeps them healthy too. my boys get their shots every year after school year ends.

0
269 28

That's not true. At least in Missouri it isn't. I wasn't vaccinated and I attended public school. My parents just had to sign a form each year saying it was against our beliefs

51 1

Who says its safe? Merck has just been taken to court by the US government (mar 2012) for lying for the last 10 years about the efficiacy of their vaccine. Pfizer (2009) was in trouble for its testing misconduct for Avandia (diabetes) drug. Vaccines are a product. Is this a product one that is as 'safe' as advocated?

0 0

To each his own and I will never tell anyone what they should do especially when it comes to their child, but as a person who works with children with autism I cam 100% say I would rather have a child who is autistic then a child who could possibly contract some horrible preventable disease. There are SO many factors that contribute to autism and how do you explain twins who are in the same environment in utero and receive all of the same vaccines and 1 develops autism and 1 does not. It scares me to think about the large amount of children I know with compromised immune systems being out there with so many unvaccinated people .I am not worried about your child you choose not to vaccinate, but for my babies who might contract some deadly disease because of an unvaccinated person.