What is an appropriate age for girls to start wearing thong underwear?

How old would your daughter need to be before you allowed her to wear thong underwear?

10 56

I'm sure I won't get any "likes", but I think many of those who responded are overreacting. My daughter is 15 and she does own 2 thongs that she wears occasionally. (She bought them with her own money.) She also has bikinis and even "granny" panties. I don't stress about her underwear, there are so many other things that are more important. My daughter and I are very close and I am very proud of her. She's a straight A honor student at a performing arts magnet school. She is active in our church and the head chorister of the youth choir. She works 15-20 hours per week as a Sonic carhop, and does community service every week. She has lots of friends, both girls and boys, but has NEVER been on a date. She says that she doesn't have time for dating right now. Do I care that she occasionally wears thong underwear, nope. She's a great kid!

243
43 2

Actually Laura, I would give you two likes myself if it was possible. One for posting your comment and the second for raising a great kid!

10 56

Thanks Triwan!

6 0

Thx Laura:) Our daughter doesn't own any at 17, but I would certainly allow it. See my post. Like your daughter, she is a straight ! student w/ lots of friends. Has never dated and shows no inclination to. All in good time, all in good time") I agree...there are more important battles to be fought. We're blessed w/ great children")

240 8

I think it's sort of telling that the parents who have let their kids have thong panties without much of a fight have students with high grade point averages and are not sexually active. My 17 year old falls into that category as well. :) And yes Pam... We are blessed!

1 12

I couldn't agree more. My eldest daughter is 15 and through her own choice doesn't own any thongs but I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. She is very sensible we have, what I hope is an open relationship, she works hard at school studies revises and is always polite and well behaved. Who cares what underwear she has it won't change her from the exceptional adult she is likely to be. So I say each to their own and don't be concerned about what's under their clothes but what's under their skin.

2 15

Well Laura.. You get a THUMBS UP from my corner as well. There are way to many other issues to worry about than what kind of underwear your child is wearing. And sounds like you got a great kid on your hands. :)

173 27

Very well put!! :) I agree 100%~~ My girls are now 16 years old today-- they own a couple.. and regarding washing them, well why would you not want to wash their underwear, no matter what kind? I guess, maybe if you haven't "walked in our shoes", it may be hard to understand. As I always say "pick your battles"- and what underwear they wear is not a battle I wish to pick.. :)

10 56

Yes Pamela. I thank God every day that my daughter makes good choices. What's even more amazing is that her two older brothers (I have 3 children) are autistic which is quite a challenge for our family.

2 23

I agree 100% laura..raised 4 children..my youngest is a male 17 and I have to say that I have ALWAYS let my kids choose their own clothes and hairstyles. As far as I can remember none of them chose anything too revealing or offensive. My 22 yr old daughter wears all kinds of underwear and I had no problem with them at any age. The number of people who actually saw them was something to worry about , not the actual underwear and I can assure you my beautiful daughter was very much like yours..no worries there. None of my kids did drugs,smoked or got brought home in trouble and I am soooo proud of all 4. Take an interest in all areas of your children's lives..laugh and joke about the thongs and buy her a few!!...life is too short to worry about such a small thing. As Pam says--`there are more important battles to be fought`-- and the more time you spend talkin to your kids and hugging your kids ..and yes sometimes disaplining your kids..the less battles you will have to fight !! :)

70 12

Me too! My kid is 14, and has no interest in thongs yet...I'm betting she'll change her mind, though. She has no interest in dating...she's gone to the same small private school since kindergarten and since she's known most of the boys since then, said it would be too wierd to consider any of them date material; says dating "looks like too much work"; and considering she's on two swim teams, the band, drama club, UN world affairs committee and in the honors program at school, says "who has the time anyway?" I've been criticized by many because she ADORES the panties at Victoria's Secret, and I let her get her undies there. They are quality products, too...she has at least six pairs that are three years old, and still look brand new. But all people hear is "Victorias Secret" and I hear the "You let YOUR TEENAGE DAUGHTER shop at Victoria's Secret?!" GASP!! I've always given her free rein when it comes to hair and clothes...hell, when she was an infant I'd hold up an outfit in each hand and whichever one she grabbed, I bought. And so far, there's been very little of the teen drama that I've heard so much about, (usually she gets grumpy once a month, shocker) and she's been as easy a teenager as she was a baby, toddler, kid, tween.....(course, we're not even at the halfway point, so that all could change. I hear fifteen is the true hell year...so we'll see.) If THONG underwear is the ONLY thing I have to worry about, then I'm happy.

10 56

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see so many reasonable responses. When I first posted almost all of the comments were negative. Don't worry Michelle, 15 is a breeze! This year my precious went to Europe for 3 weeks with Girl Scouts (she raised the money herself); got her first job (her bosses love her and she has $1,000 in the bank for college); and got her permit (she loves driving). She is respectful, smart and talented. I'm close with her and her friends, and am looking forward to all the upcoming sweet sixteen parties!

10 6

Tee hee ... and I was thinking 5 years old ... as two weeks in a g-string/thong would be enough to put you off wearing them! I hate them going up my arse!!! Tee hee :)

5 0

I totally agree Laura. My daughter is 17 and when she was 13 we gave her some on her birthday as a joke. She eventually wanted to try wearing them and has a couple of pair but she has other underware also. My daughter too is an honor roll student and involved in many school activities and volunteers at a pre-school with the horses. The underware you wear does not define the person you are. People wear what is comfortable for them. People should be glad their daughters are wearing underware at all because some girls don't feel comfortable wearing any. A rare case of this was when my friends daughter was 2 years old. She never wore underware to bed at night and really didn't want to wear them during the day. If a 2 yr old has these feelings about clothes and how comfortable they are then we definitely can't pin an age on when a girl should be aloud to wear thong underware. If they want to wear them and run around without clothes over them then they might have an issue on their hands but under their clothes.. well there are bigger issues to come that are going to be much more important!

2 5

My 14 yr. old has a few pairs and I have no problems with it either. She bought them with her own $ and she too is a good student, very involved in sports and we are close as well. I think some parents are just way to uptight and the kids are gonna do it behind their back anyway. My daughter knows that as long as shes honest with me about things Im pretty easy but if Im lied to theres problems. Being a single mom I dont have time for games and I know I have to pick my battles so something so petty Im not gonna fight over.

33 18

Laura said, about her daughter's 2 thongs, "that she bought with her own money". Why is this relevant? Are you trying to distance yourself from the accusation that YOU bought perhaps unsuitable underwear for her, and that you are not at all at fault? If there is "fault" in this discussion. Well, Laura, there is NO difference whether she used "her own money" or yours. You're the parent, you actively approve of every purchase, or actively forbid a purchase, or passively APPROVE a purchase just by NOT forbidding it. There is no third side to the coin option. There is no sitting on the fence. ----- Imagine using this same excuse in the following scenario. My 15 year old daughter bought a HANDGUN, with "her own money", or my 15 year old daughter bought MARIJUANA "with her own money". Does this make the purchase right, or good for her? Does it absolve you of all responsibility legally? Morally? Extreme examples, you say, and true. But the concept is EXACTLY the same. There is NO SUCH THING as a minor child's OWN money. Yeah, they worked for it and earned it, either at a job or by chores in your home, or an allowance you give them (not earned). But everything they bring into that house in purchases, and every activity they spend "their money" on (movies, amusement parks, food) is either actively approved by you, actively forbidden by you (and if they do it anyway, you then have to tighten up your watchdogginess), or also APPROVED by you by your passivity or a parent's lack of bothering to care about such things. The opposite (crime) of child abuse is neglect, and is also a crime. I am in no way saying that underwear choice is criminal, nor that YOU are criminal, or even a neglectful parent. All I'm challenging here, for you and other readers is that one line of yours, that one concept that you are absolved of responsibility because you didn't drive her to Victoria's Secret yourself and pay for the purchase yourself. Where she got the money is totally IRRELEVANT, and this is a dangerous concept for parents to have running around in their minds.

10 56

I am not "sitting on the fence", obviously I was aware of the purchase and did not have a problem with it. I don't think her choice of underwear defines what kind of young woman she is. She bought them for fashion reasons. The reason I said that she bought them with her own money is just that I only buy underwear in 6 packs at Target. (Yes, I'm cheap and not that fashion concious). They don't sell thongs that way. If I was buying her a special outfit that would look better with thong underwear I wouldn't mind buying her a pair. I was not trying to absolve myself of responsibility, but I can see how that one line might suggest that. I do not believe that there is not one "right" way to parent. Because my daughter is so responsible and honest with me I am comfortable with her choice of underwear. If she was a different kind of girl and I felt she wanted them for sexual reasons I may feel differently, I'll never really know...

1 0

Laura, if I did not know better, I would think we had almost the same kid! :-) My daughter had thongs around 12 and she still wears them. She goes to a private boarding school but is a distinguished honors student, tutors, works at a bank, serves on the SGA, is a sports trainer, and does ballet twice a week. She is also active in church events as well. Thongs have not tainted her so why would I stop something that really has no relevance. I think that is where a lot of parents go wrong. We restrict the things that have no real bearing on our children and we allow things that hurt them horribly.

0 7

Laura I like your original comment. My daughter is 16 almost 17 and owns a thong but to wear as they were made to wear with fashion that are tight and don't want a panty line. It's not like a thong is so comfortable, but to each their own.

0 3

Is it normal for a 17 years old girl not to date? Or not wanting to date, I am asking you as a mother of 2 very young daughters.

0 0

I agree with all of you. My daughter had her first pair at 15 or so and now that is all she wears at 19. Not sure I understand why you want to wear them, I couldn't stand them but I think to each there own on this one. I remember not liking it when she bought her first pair. Now she is a sophmore at a Christian college and loves the Lord. What more could a momma want!

1 4

Katerina, I think it is a personal choice that alot of girls are making today. They have so much going on everyday that they have very little time to worry about dating. My daughter is 16 and has been on 2 dates. She went to the movies one night with a guy she liked more as a friend then as a "boyfirend" and when he seemed too "invested" in the relationship she broke it off and lost the friend. For that reason, she choses not to date right now. She doesn't want to leave anymore broken hearts in her wake and in her words "have to pass them in the hall after that". (the other was a date to homecoming and she stayed the whole evening with friends so this yr went dateless, again to avoid hurt feelings). She has plenty of time. She has been wearing thongs for over a yr now and her opinion on sex (which has nothing to do with underwear) is to wait until she is married.

0 22

I agree with you about your comment due to having two daughters......if they want to wear them so what.....it's no big deal!

0 0

I agree with you Laura...I think we as parents should pick our battles. Underwear shouldn't be a battle...I just don't understand how anyone can wear them at all. I tried them and I felt like I had a constant wedgie!!! Keep up the good work with your daughter. I have one that is married and one that is only 6.

1 0

I don't have a daughter, I have two sons, but I was once a teenage girl! I feel that underwear is more about what looks good under various outfits. Wearing thongs is not going to make a fifteen year old immoral. A young person's character is formed by a lifetime of experiences, and these will guide her behavior, not what she wears under her clothes.

2 20

My girls just turned 16 nd have been wearing thongs for over a yr. now, and they're still the same sweet good girls as aways. a little mouthy sometimes but good girls!!! LOL

17 5

Looking at the recent photo of my daughter... memories of those "womanly" conversations... My first response, "My daughter can wear a thong when in the privacy of the bedroom that’s shared with her husband one day or, perhaps never!" Then as I've considered the many responses to this question, I must ask, "Other than comfort, which honestly I don't understand, why does your daughter want to wear a thong?" Moms, I just love your responses to this question! Even if I don't agree with all your opinions, the expressions of such genuine love and respect toward your daughters are heart-felt. Applaud yourselves! It is so encouraging to hear about girls who care about good grades, learning work ethics, are active in church, and help others. Please read 1Timothy 2: 9-10. These verses are about the woman of virtue... to "dress modestly, with decency." There is no opt-out policy for our "great kids." The specific style of thong underwear is intended to draw attention to the body, to be provocative, with an implication of sexual permissiveness. This is a quote, “The source of modesty is in a person’s heart or inner character.” What we show the world on the outside is a reflection of who we are inwardly. Our older children are making more life choices, yet in some areas they still lack understanding of certain consequences, for themselves and others. They need our guidance. What could be more important? It’s not meant to be a battle, it’s called motherhood!

0 23

I am shocked that there is even a question here. What difference does it make whether it's a thong or a bikini or boy shorts or whatever. My girls were picking out their own undies since they were about 10. All I asked was that it wasn't $5 per pair, lol. I too have two wonderful daughters whom are now 26 & 24. I think one was about 13 when she first asked me for some thong undies, all I asked was, are you sure.

1 0

i totally agree. i see nothing wrong with it at all.. i think 12 is fine. my mom is ridiculously modest & she always preferred us to wear higher necklines, nothing see thru or triangle top bathing suits, shorts to be mid thigh, skirts to the knee (& all it made me want was a micromini & sheer bikini lol) but she never really cared about the underwear. she actually preferred them bc you can't see the underwear lines lol obviously you have a great girl that is not negatively affected by wearing thongs LOL ;)

0 0

Hi mom I love the post an would love you an your daughter forever but I would love your daughter as my love of my life please

12 0

the best age for a girl to wear thong underwear is 16 years old!

10 56

It's been 2 years since I wrote this, and I've been very impressed with all the reasonable parents who have responded. I'm proud to report that my 17 year old thong wearing daughter is as impressive as ever. She went to the prom with an adorable guy, but has continued her stance on not dating because she is focused on her academics and music. She is taking 6 AP courses in her senior year, and has submitted 8 college applications (she got her first acceptance from Fordham in NYC last week). She was accepted into the national honor choir last year, and will be traveling to Italy next Spring to sing in some beautiful cathedrals. I don't see her thongs anymore because she does her own (and often the rest of the families) laundry. I still stick with my cotton undies, but couldn't be prouder of dedicated teens regardless of their underwear choice.

7 0

I think that's disgusting, I don't want my 15 year old daughter to be going round wearing hardly such thing called underwear, they are more of a hair band because of how thin they really are, if I caught my daughter with a thong I would punish her and burn them in front of her!!!

1 0

IF you "Don't Care" that she wears a thong...why would you even take the time to post it here? Personally...I wouldn't be happy with it...but they will just hide it from you if you make an issue out of it. Maybe a quiet talk about that these are things typically appropriate for adults in a committed relationship and that if the boys know about it they may get the wrong (or right) idea about what it seems to indicate about her morals. School and grades are different than wearing sexy lingerie & undies at such a young age...I think women & girls have so much of these over-sexualized images thrown at them 24/7...it's not good...it's not healthy. We shouldn't be encouraging their being Barbie dolls & stripper-types...which I see so much of in Facebook. All these very young girls posing in the underwear or much less...they look like & behave like tramps. Sorry..that's the way I see it!

0 0

Her wearing thongs doesn't make her a bad girl!... Why would you think that?

10 56

I just wanted to add an update about my thong wearing daughter. She just started her freshman year at American University in Washington, DC. She is in the scholars program and received more than $44,000 in scholarship money. She plans to become a clinical child psychologist. Yes, she still likes thongs, but aside from attending her two HS proms and having lots of friends of both sexes, she still has not had a boyfriend. I'm so proud of my girl. Again, pick your battles. Underwear does not make the child!

38 0

hi laura great to hear that you kid is very active in the community, good for her as far as the thong panties are concerned, not a big deal, my 10 year old wears them every day

0 0

I like you Laura. My wife and I know that it is the in thing and we are 40 years old and my wife wears them too she likes them because they are comfortable and the underware bunching is much worse. I have thongs too and she likes them

0 0

This is the kind of moms we need more of!!

6 9

When they can drive themselves, pay for it themselves, and learn to wear clothing that covers their underwear...Underwear is meant to be UNDER!

66
43 2

So then about 16 is what you're saying.

6 9

Yes. At least. I don't see a problem with an older teenage girl wearing a thong as long as she knows to dress appropriately... nothing hanging out for the guys to stare at. I understand wanting to be comfortable, not wanting panty lines, but the world doesn't need to know what kind of underwear you have on!

173 27

I have to disagree with the majority, and agree with Triwan. What you are all stating are facts on g-strings, not thongs. G-strings are the one's that can lead to infections, etc. Thongs are wider, not "floss-like" and not everyone who wears them has them handing out like a stripper. They are very practicle to wear for those of us who don't care for panty lines, and are not dangerous like a true "g-string". Again- just my own opinion, and I don't think people who choose to wear them are skanks if worn wihtout them handing out to be seen by the world.. About how old a child should be.. I am a mother to twin girls who will be 16 tomorrow.. They would have never even wanted to wear them a year and a half ago... but as they have gotten older.. probably about a year ago or so when they were just 15, they asked for them and I said no at first... as this past year has gone by- they are definately turning into young women and I don't think I have the right to force Monday-Sunday underwear on them anymore.. they undress in front of people at school for PE, they want to fit into the "norm"- I do prefer they were the women's briefs (I think that's what they are called? Kind of like women's jockey's or whatever...)- but they do choose to wear thongs sometimes too-- they bought them themselves with their gift cards or money from Christmas and birthdays, and I don't see a problem with it.. Realistically speaking- teenagers are going to do what they want, all we can do it guide them, be there to listen to them, give the best advice we can, and hope they make good decisions, but also realizing that making both good and bad decisions is all part of growing up... So.. I allow it personally- and I also am very open to having them on birth control and how to prevent STDs.. I am not an idiot- I was 16 once, so were all of you... knowledge is much more powerful then worrying about if they are wearing a thong or not.... Just my opinion.

38
43 2

Thank you Valarie. I personally wear them all the time when I am not on my period. I don't put them on and think "sexy thoughts". It's not about sex, they're just undies that don't show the imprint of what's underneath what you're wearing. Just like a bra, once it's on I don't even realize it again until i go potty. And yes, thongs and G-strings are two totally different things. They now make pantyliners for thong undies. Not sure how they make you skanky, lol unless you go around showing it to everyone but then that means that full fledged undies could be considered skanky too if you go around doing that right? Oh, and I can honestly say that I have never gotten a UTI, infection, etc.

173 27

Same here!!! Although I don't have periods anymore as I have had a total hysterectomy, I prefer them over "regular" all the time.. and yes, I think it's more disgusting to see these guys with their jeans down to their knees and boxers hanging out than to have a thong on LOL... Anything can be skanky if you want it to be. It's not a sexual thing, just a dressing preference...

30 25

I was afraid to post because I am ok with it.I have a 17 y/o daughter who has been wearing them since she was 12 and she did buy her own.To me they are undergarments .We have a rule that if she wears a skirt or dress she must wear panties,not a thong.I guess maybe I am a little more open minded because theses days you kinda have to be.

34 14

I agree!My 15 year old will always wear leggins or tights under a skirt,she dosnt like thongs,I personally do and I wouldnt stop her to be honest I feel really high heals are alot worse,probably cos I could never walk in them,so maybe Im just jelous! I think loud mouthed behaviour and blatant attention seeking are far worse than wearing a thong!

173 27

I was hesitant too.. but I am soo glad I did because look- it brought all the other mindsets on this out in the open!! :)

23 5

It is a little grown up but not skanky in anyway and some girls/woman like myself prefer g-strings because thongs can be to uncomfortable to have wedged up there all day. My daughter has not asked to wear them yet she is 14 now but if she did I wouldn't link it to sexual activity. Nothing wrong with letting your teen have an underwear choice after all it is underwear and if you have to question your daughters motives then it sounds like it's a relationship and trust issue not an underwear issue.

27 15

I dont think there is a true age for wearing thongs it depends on the girl...I would have to say anything younger than 15 might need a discussion with her mother as to why she would want to wear them....my daughter is 16 and they arent her preference but again that is her choice. but I will say if they are old enough to purchase them then they are old enough to wear them...I agree with most responses that they help with the panty lines, but its up to the mothers to educate their daughters not to show their thongs over their pants as I believe it shows a disrespect for yourself to be showing your underwear to the public...

33 18

You said, "Realistically speaking- teenagers are going to do what they want,". Only if parents don't work hard enough ! So, it would be OK with you, or you'd throw up your hands in despair if your daughter were having sex with three guys every weeknight and twice on Sundays? That's what "she" wants (not your daughter, just an example daughter). Or.... as a decent parent, would you lay down the law and monitor her outings and behavior far more closely. Kids who are going off track need a lot more monitoring, rules, and even laws and big brother to PROTECT them until they GROW A BRAIN. My teenagers didn't do nearly ANYTHING I didn't want them to do for the several years of their adolescence. It's like this... THEIR "job" or wish in life it to get into as much trouble as possible. MY God-given responsibility is to make that as hard as possible to do. Yeah, they'll find a way, just now and then to get around my rules, but they'll have to work really hard to do it. That will drastically cut down on the times and severity of their stupid life mistakes. Once they are of an age where their brain has matured FULLY, for the highest functions like evaluating the consequences of your actions (and medical science says this is age TWENTY-FIVE before we are finished), then they are totally on their own and my God-given job is done. (Of course, I'll still watch, give advice, and be there for emergencies. Motherhood is never over.)

29 50

@Glynis - the type of underwear your daughter is wearing is a long long way from wanton promiscuity. Teenagers have a strong desire to assert their independence and individuality, they aren't just trying to break all the rules. You said yourself that your "teenagers didn't do nearly ANYTHING I didn't want them to do" - therefore there were times that regardless of your wishes, they did what they wanted to do. Pick your battles

61 18

I never even thought about how they'll undress at school. My daughters only 8 right now. I figure she'll never want them because she hates the feel of regular underwear I can't imagine she'll like something up her bum. I figure I have a bigger issue of her NOT wanting any underwear on period. hehe.

15 0

Triwan Thomas. I love when you're on you're period. It's lovely to want to cry wearing full fledged undies on you're periods. Which I love when you're on you're periods, is that I love too see the waistband of you're full fledged undies and you see the waistband of my full fledged undies.

15 0

Holly MacNabb. If you're daughters will not wear regular underwear, that'll be the reason their periods will be delayed. Whenever they have their periods, it'll end up being 4 or even twice a year.

10 13

I have to admit that I need to do a self assessment answering this question. I am now 57 and was one of those "rebellious teens" My mother thought bikini panties were a sign of loose moral character. Needless to say I wore them when I moved out at 18. I married young and my husband at that time opened my eyes to "sexy underwear." So when I reached my 30's I tried my first thong and never had a problem, except finding ones that remained in place & were comfortable.

Now I don't have a dughter but do have 5 sons. And I would rather have a daughter wear a thong than a guy with his pants hanging below his butt crack. I told my sons if they ever wore pants like that they were fair game for me to pants them anywhere and anytime!.

36
0 14

Ditto the butt crack...! Love it!

0 0

Ditto on the boys wearing their pants below the butt, I have a boy n girl, which are both now adults. I did let my daughter start wearing them at 14 but she paid for them herself. However, some called me doing a double standard by telling my son at 16 to pull his up, that nobody wants to see his underwear. lol... I didn't look at that way cuz my daughter wasn't advertising.

Profile Picture
1 0

My middle DD, aged 14, is a dancer and cheerleader. She is required to wear them under her costumes and chooses to wear them under her booty shorts because panty lines are not okay...(neither are bra straps showing) There is absolutely nothing sexual about wearing one, and while she wears both kinds of underwear, bikinis and thongs, it's all about the underwear NOT showing (especially over the top of the pants). Unless you choose to make it a sexual issue, it isn't. I don't so it isn't.

34
Profile Picture
2 1

My daughter turned 16 a few months ago and just a few weeks ago request to try thong underwear Her reason, she is also a cheerleader and says that after wearing them under her uniform spanks it was much more comfortable! Her team doesnt require the no panty line, but they also require the no bra showing.

Profile Picture
0 0

Totally agree!

Profile Picture
1 17

I am with you all! My daugher is in the theatre and they have quick costum changes and it is what all the girls wear. My daughter started wearing them around the age of 13 and she is now 16. She is also one of the most conservative young ladies you would ever want to meet!

Profile Picture
1 20

totally agree - my 13year old is a cheerleader and has been wearing a thong for months now when she is dancing as they are not allowed the have any underwear showing under their uniform.

Profile Picture
0 0

The same situation is with volleyball and the spandex shorts they wear.

2 3

As to age, my daughter got her first thong when she was 14, with her own money. Thongs are not G-Strings, but are simply an alternative to full coverage. They are not about sex, but about comfort. I bet this question would have been posted about bikini underwear years ago, and now they make bikini's for little kids. Honestly, there are more important things to stress about. It's the way we bring up our children that counts, not what kind of underwear they wear. Adults make many decisions for their children, and by the time the kids are teens, they should feel confident they can make a few of their own decisions, comfortable in the love given to them by a parent.

I do not own any thongs, because I prefer more coverage, but my 16 year old daughter wears them and tells me they are comfortable.(Yes, she also wears boyshorts, has bikinis,and a few "grannies"). She is straight-laced, does not date, is a straight A student, and is not skanky. We are very close, and I am proud of her and the way she handles herself and life in general. I agree that underwear is not something to stress over, but is a matter of personal preference.

24
43 2

Thumbs up!

2 3

thanks, Triwan! There are so many other problems that face us as parents, other than undies!

6 20

Well said Kim. It is only underwear. It is not skanky at all and as we know panty lines are sometimes not the best look.

2 0

18 or when they're out of my house and/or I'm no longer supporting them!

24
0 0

Right on sister!!! I'm readding all of these posts, and frankly, I AM SHOCKED at all of these mothers that advocate their "13 & 14" year olds wearing thongs!!?!??!!! WTH!!??? WHY would any CHILD have the need to have "less coverage"???? If my daughter becomes a cheerleader, when she's older, and they "require" her to wear thongs....that's the last of her cheerleading career, until she can support it on her own (on EVERY LEVEL!) What the heck do you mean, "NO PANTY LINES"??? Who the hell needs to be looking at my daughter's bottom!!!?!??!!! I do not advocate it until they are of age, and HOPEFULLY out of my home? :/...For many reasons, the obvious health concerns (leads to more feminine infections), but also the MORE OBVIOUS, thongs, g-strings (even if they are slightly different), were created, invented, came about for their aestheticly sexual appeal and the feeling of going comando without REALLY going comando...this being said, NO, my "13/14" year old daughter does not have the emergent NEED for THAT!!!! I also, would NEVER allow for my daughter to wear those "cute little" shorts/pants, etc., that have sayings across her butt, either!!! AGAIN, why would I want to draw/attract attention to my daughters butt!!!?!?!? With all the pedophiles in this world...why the need to deliver a message via my daughter's bum!!! I think it looks cheesy/trashy, for ANY age, for that matter....heck, I'm not going to allow her to wear a bikini until she's about 16, or older, if I can!! With all of the sunblock that we're supposed to make sure they lather up with (I live in Florida:), why do they need "less coverage"??? Bikinis were made to get a serious tan, and to look sexy, while doing so!!! NOT for MY daughter!!! These little mini mommy bikinis that they have for babies, may look adorbs...but are they neccesary??? Are they even a "smart" choice, given they whole sun/skin cancer concerns???....so, RIGHT ON SISTER...18 & outta my house!!!! :)

15 12

Well, I feel I have raised my daughter correct. I have given her the information and hopefully she will do the right thing...I don't feel thongs have anything to do with sex. AT 14 no one is seeing her underwear. But She does play volleyball, and I have to say it is an eye full if they wear panties instead of thongs. I pick my battles and this is not one I am worried about. She doesn't drink or do drugs...She's a 95 student with a job. I know all of her friends, And she helps with her severely Autistic brother. If you raise your children right and fill them with knowledge at a young age, something so stupid as a thong wouldn't get your panties in a twist. Worry about the girls who r too scared to talk to the moms.....Or already have a kid at 14. My daughter and I r open so when she asked I did not have a problem.

1 0

IMO panty lines look frumpy, and it draws eyes to your girl's rump more that wearing a thong would. It's like being against a halter-style bra- it's purpose is just to be better fitted with different clothing. I feel bad for kids whose parents can't accept changes in styles and changes in society- your children will suffer when the other girls in school see those lines and point it out. Ridiculousness over underwear. Really, there are more important things to worry about! And if you think your kids want them so some boy can see them, wake up, thong or not they'll show them to a boy anyhow!

3 36

I have a 15 year old daughter, and I wear thongs at times. My daughter used to tell me she would never wear them. But as she has gotten older she has changed her mind, and I am okay with that. She is also involved in sports. Thongs are not about sex! It is about being comfortable. Comfortable with what you are wearing. You stated that why would anyone be looking at her bottom. Really? Boys are always going to look. Regardless of whether you have a panty line or not! They are boys. I am PROUD of my daughter. I have raised her by myself without help. She is an Honor Roll Student. Has a boyfriend...who I have to give her credit for, because he is a really great kid. She values herself. Doesn't wear her pants low with it all hanging out, and would probably tell you that it is tacky to have it all hanging out. Unless she is showing her thong to everyone, I don't see what the big deal is either. More important battles to fight than over what underwear she would prefer to wear.

10 0

Thank you girl! I am so supersized of how young some of these comments are. Think about it, why would my young daughter want something categorized as sexy she doesn't need anything sexy unless she wants to be sexy when her body is fully developed and she is old enough for a sexual relation (which will not be anytime soon).

7 0

I won't get any likes for this, but I think what kind of underwear a person wears should be personal preference. With teenagers, I've learned to pick my battles and if wearing a thong gives her a sense of belonging in the locker room because all the other girls do, I'm OK with it. Nobody wants to be laughed at in her underwear and as long as she doesn't go around showing it (which she doesn't), it's on her.

18
34 14

when I was young my mother thought my bikini briefs were a disgrace!she wanted me to wear theese interlock Granny knickers! OMG Ive worn thongs for years and God knows after 5 kids its nothing to do with showing off my figure,I just like them in town with my 15 year old daughter I saked if she would like a pair and I got a firm no! so its a matter of taste really isint it?

16
0 27

I am the mother of two daughters. One is still in diapers and the other still in character panties so the topic of discussion is not applicable to me for a few years. However, as a former high school teacher, I can think back on the hundreds of teenage girls I encountered on a daily basis. Ultimately, thongs are as innocent, practical, naughty, or scandalous as the person wearing them. Consider the two scenarious. A high school student is wearing a form fitting, yet tasteful, dress to prom and has to decide, "Which type of underwear is most appropriate for this dress? Would having panty lines call more attention to my body than an invisible thong line?" Another high school student is wearing hip-hugger jeans with her thong strategically placed above the waitstline so that when she leans forward, her thong is exposed. Again, the issue is the intent of the person wearing the thong and not the thong itself.

14
0 0

This is not a black & white answer question. There needs be some talk with your daughter regarding this. First I would ask why does she wnat to wear them? then take it from there. If she is trying to make a fashion statement and allow others to see them - then I would say 18. Is it to wear one for an outfit ( no pany lines) then consider it.
I see it as this being really about - how does your daughter portray herself and what message is she want to send.

14
43 2

Right on Mia!

1 5

My daughter is 15 and started wearing a thong at 14, she is a good kid, in ROTC, well behaved and has no desire to do what all her friends do,its her prefrence and i have to let her be her own person, just because she wears that doen't make her a skank

14
43 2

Kudos also to you for raising a good kid. Another example that it's not what you wear under your clothes that makes you a skank, it's your attitude, how you carry yourself (like a lady not a tramp) and choices that you make that will make you a skank.

2 3

Agreed! The thong issue is like the bikini issue.... just because a gal wears a bikini to the beach does not make her a skank.

1 7

@Triwan WELL SAID!!!

9 20

Bikinis anywhere--A person' should respect their own body and expect others to respect it. what is the purpose of wearing a bikini? Are they comfortable to swim in ore play sports in ? Are they designed to get ;men and boys to look at you? There was a time I wore a "two-piece" bathing suit(not a bikini) it wasn't that comfortable. I was married with 4 childrenat the time. My daughter never "liked " wearing tight fitting or revealing clothes by choice She thought they were uncomfortable. She is married with 4 beautiful children.

9 19

When she moves out and I am no longer doing her laundry!

14
6 16

My daughter who is 18 now asked for a pair about 3 months before her 18th birthday to "try "them...I allowed it although I personally would not wear them..they look like they would be uncomfortable. I don't allow her to have them showing, but then I want all of her clothing to be respectable. Since then she has bought more with her money. At this point she is an adult and While she lives at home and has to follow my rules still, I don't think underwear is something worth fighting about! My other daughters are 13 and 12 and I probably would say no at this point. They have not shown any interest and make a face when they see them in the laundry. lol

13
0 0

OK...this response should REALLY infuriate a few of the people on here, but it is my opinion. Our girls are growing up in a society that gives way too much importance to LOOKING beautiful and sexy, but no one discusses FEELING beautiful and sexy. Being comfortable with our bodies and our sensuality as women isn't something one gets on their 18th birthday. It is something that develops throughout life, each one of us at different times. Girls should FEEL beautiful inside and out no matter what they LOOK like. It is our jobs as mothers to cultivate that sense of self. FEELING good about the way we look or dress is NOT skanky. It helps us be more confident in life and interpersonal relationships. I know plenty of skanky girls who are not allowed to wear thongs, and I know plenty who are allowed to wear them that are wholesome, wonderful kids. When your child feels like it is the right time for them, it is your job as a parent to know whether or not your child is making the decision based on personal preference or peer pressure. Just like we let our girls wear makeup to feel pretty, or jewelry, or fashionable clothing, or whatever, underwear is the same thing. No one has to know what your daughter is wearing under her jeans but her, and that doesn't make her a skank. It makes her a girl who is growing into a woman, which is what all of our girls are going to do whether they wear thongs, granny panties, or boxers. Worry more about what your girls are DOING and who they are BECOMING and how self-confident they are, and worry less about how much fabric is covering their butt UNDER their clothing.

12
1 7

@Jennifer If I could give you 10 thumbs up votes I would.

0 0

Thank you, Lynn. :)

0 11

Jennifer, I think you've got the perfect answer to a question that need not be considered! Beauty and self-confidence begins within and NOT in the clothing we wear or throw on the floor. Thankfully, my gorgeous daughter knows this at the age of 12 and won't face the battles I did as a young woman. Kudos to you for voicing what so many of us didn't learn until later in life!

43 2

KUUUUUUDOOOOS!

3 36

AMEN!

8 24

I find the responses amusing, but not to say you all aren't entitled to your opinions. My daughter is only 9 and has a BIG issue with "wedgies" so I won't have to worry about this for quite sometime. She does wear bikini's and hipsters because she doesn't like anything on her stomach/waistline.
For those who are ok with thongs, if you are ok with them why do you make your daughters buy their own? If they are JUST underwear, why do they have to purchase them? Do you buy their "granny panties" or briefs? What's the difference?
I personally have too much junk in my trunk to wear such an item.... LOL

11
10 56

My daughter buys her underwear because I am thrifty and usually buy the 6 packs at Target.

173 27

HAHA... Like Laura- me too! Money is tight but I actually have found some at Christmas time and birthday time that are appropriate for them and bought them a few pairs.. but primarily they actually prefer picking out their own bra's and panties.. so they take their gift cards and buy them because that's usually how we get their wardrobe, from gift cards from family :).. I am a single mom working two jobs and still can't afford the "nicer" things in life most often.

36 5

because i only buy cheap multi packs - here girls briefs are bikini style or shorts usually (not as high as in the US) they get them as stocking fillers, and before the summer holiday. "special" underwear, when that crops up will be bought out of their wages (at 10 and 12 they earn money already, singing) or birthday money from the relatives who persist in putting notes into cards. i did relent and buy a black bra and matching pants for my eldest who needed them for her evening dress - i'm not that draconian - but as i find them uncomfortable its not something i'd encourage

14 0

You're daughter who's wearing bikinis or hipsters, once she start's too bleed that time of the month, will then wear "granny panties" or briefs, even if it shows on her stomach/waistline, that she'll want too cry.

0 20

My daughter is 14 and I allow her to wear thongs. She wears them with certain pants to avoid panty lines and I find nothing wrong with that. I've raised a very good child, we have great communication and a great relationship. I really do not think that the type of underwear a girls wears says anything about the type of person she is. As the mother of a teenager, there are other battles that I'll save my fighting for.

10
2 22

I feel maybe this had caused quite a stir from the few answers I have read, but my opinion for what it's worth is I will never buy my daugther a thong (it's just not a mum thing to do) she can buy them herself when she has her own money and decides she wants to buy her own underwear until then its normal pants or the boxer short type for her. thongs maybe pocket money prices these days but I have a feeling once she starts getting regular pocket money she'll be far more interested in buying felt tips and paper and things to create and do than buying underwear when I already buy it for her. don't think I owned a thong until I was 17.

10
4 1

My daughter is 21 now, engaged and wore thong underwear sometime around age 16 and OF COURSE purchased them w/her own money she made at work. She's an amazing young woman and wore them for the reasons many of you described, panty lines etc. Who knows maybe she even wore them to feel sexy. That's okay because she wasn't having teenage or premarital sex.. She is the only one of her friends, and maybe the only girl in her high school, to graduate a virgin. I'm not naive enough to believe she and her fiance haven't been intimate but he would be her first and only. In this day and age if you can raise a kid to be kind, have compassion for their fellow man, even if they don't like them, respect for adults and authority figures, hard workers, honest, integrity keepers with good self esteem, then you have accomplished what's important.

8
19 11

Preferably never.

8
2 5

That was my first thought!

9 30

I agree never

2 32

I completely agree. Disgusting & skanky!

9 0

I agree. My daughter was married and on her own before she even wanted to wear a thong. Yes, I am very old-fashion in a lot of areas, and underwear is one of them. My granddaughter asked me about thongs a couple years ago. She's a smart kid and she knew better than press the issue with me (she'll be 12 in December). But I also agree with Lisa and Jennifer Sharp as far as using the thong as part of a requirement for dancing or cheering, where lines are everything.

1 19

Good Mom!

5 0

Amy, Underware is a comfort choice just like any other article of clothing. Just because they are different doesnt mean they are skanky! My daughter has a few pair and she is far from skanky! She is not sexually active and i don't know why you would associate thong underware with sex and being skanky. Last i checked my underware were hi-cut briefs and i have sex with my husband... does that make me skanky? Your mind has been warped to the wrong information i think. Maybe you should take a second look at your lifestyle and things you could be called skanky for before you go marking others with that term! Are you a smoker? Do you have pets? Maybe you have skanky breath or you smell like smoke or your pets... should we call you skanky?

0 2

Thank you all in this specific thread. "Disgusting & skanky!"...Yep

1 5

How is it skanky if the thong is under your clothes?

0 0

PRUDES!

0 0

I agree. Never. They aren't healthy.

19 11

I've found several articles from physicians advising of the risks associated with wearing thongs. Most mention that if you must wear them make sure they are all cotton, and that you don't wear them everyday or sleep in them. Here's just one: http://healthmad.com/women/the-health-risks-of-wearing-thong-panties/

4 6

That was my first thought as well; PREFERABLY never. And you can go on and on and on about how good your kid is and how "just worried" she is about her panty line, but I hope that the query at least makes you raise an eyebrow enough to want to ask some questions and dig a little bit. I know it would for me. When I was in high school and my friends started wearing thongs it wasn't because of panty lines. Nobody even talked about panty lines back then from what I can remember - they wanted them because they were sexy. In the same breath though, I dont recall anyone wearing them where they hung out the top of their jeans purposefully for display either. I also remember some kids stealing them from department stores because they wanted them and were way to scared to ask or would just never dream of approaching their parents to ask for something like that. Which I consider to be a way bigger problem. Do I want to have this conversation with my daughter; not particularly, no. Do I want her to feel comfortable enough to approach me about it and ask questions if she wants or thinks she needs something like thongs; Absolutely. I was brought up in a family where sex was a bad word, and nobody talked about it; the only sex talk I ever got was basically God says not until you are married and that was it. I would have been more liable to steal thong underwear then dare ask my mother for it if I thought I needed them when I was younger. I do not want my daughter to think that way about me. So, while I respond to this comment by agreeing that I would prefer not to buy these for my child - I am also acknowledging that I don't want to come off as such a prude that my daughter would never dream of discussing it with me.

0 20

My daughter is 13 will be 14 in a few months.. And around her 13th birthday, she asked if she could try one. I asked her if there was any special reason and she said that her regular panties made lines on some of her shorts. I said sure , and she now has many pair and wears them when she feels what she is wearing requires it. She is the recepient of the Presidental Award three years running. She is a good kid and I see nothing wrong wiht her making a choice on what Undies she chooses to wear. She is not skanky... underwear does not make one a skank. She is an intelligent, responsbile young lady who likes thongs !! I worry more about her choices in friends than her choices in underwear.

7
0 47

I'm just wondering but how tight are her shorts? I wear bikini or hipsters and my underwear line rarely shows with anything I wear. Just wondering? Not judging, just asking.

43 2

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Children learn and read from your behavior, feelings, and vibes. If you don't make a big deal about "underwear", hence "under", then neither will they. Parents ultimately still need to be parents!!!!!!!!! The rest will follow no matter what they are wearing underneath. Congrats re: your daughters achievements.

1 0

Wow, hard to believe this is even an issue. I'm actually laughing at some of these over-reactive, Puritanical responses. For me, thongs are simply more comfortable (cuz non-thongs end up crawling up anyway, so I'd rather have LESS material up there, thank you very much). I don't even OWN any non-thong underwear. My daughter is only 3, so it's not an issue yet...but if she wants me to buy her thong underwear when she gets older, I can't imagine why I would say no. Now if she's letting it "peek out" on purpose, that's a whole different story...but that would apply to any kind of underwear.

7
1 7

I totally agree Natalie. These women are not only ver-reacting they are control freaks.

1 5

My sentiments exactly! they have the need to control everything down to the undies their daughters wear!!

0 0

Amen, It's a style of underwear that no one needs to know about. I had no idea women/mothers would over-react to a pair of HARMLESS undies. I guess I really do trust in my daughter and my raising of them.

Profile Picture
1 19

My daughter is 15 and has a few thongs in her collection. She was curious because I wear them. I told her they are great for when she wears something that would otherwise show a pantyline. I make no big deal over it and she is fairly conservative with her attire anyway. When she was younger and showed curiosity over them I let her know that they were for older girls who didn't want a pantyline to show. She is a great kid and thongs (when worn appropriately-not for sexiness at that age) is perfectly fine.

7
1 1

I think its a silly question. they are panties. Sometimes they make sense for a dance outfit or cheer uniform. My daughter is 13 and has never worn one. But if she wanted one or needed one for dance then I think it is perfectly fine. I hated panty lines in high school so I always wore them for regular wear and for dance and cheerleading. Really not a big deal in my opinion. those that make a big deal are sending the wrong message - like they are a sexual item or something. They are just cotton fabric people.

6
0 50

While my husband and certain friends may disagree with me, I would allow my daughter when she decides she would like to try. My daughter recently turned 11 and has a very curvacious figure. Remembering that I was the same build growing up, I know how uncomfortable bikinis and "granny panties" were for me. I stand with some other mothers that have commented in saying, if you raise your child properly, it should not matter what is under her jeans! THONGS are perfectly fitting to wear under certain slacks and dresses. In my opinion, more attention can be drawn to the panty lines being shown.

When my daughter turned 6 she asked to try "boy-cuts" and I allowed her. They turned out to fit her very well and were the most comfortable for her. I do not think that allowing your daughter to wear a thong qualifies as "following the times". To a properly brought up girl, underwear is underwear, and their preference is just mainly about comfort.

I have worn thongs for 20+ years with no problems of yeast infections, urinary-tract or vaginal infections,tears in my urethra and outer vaginal area, chafing, hemorrhoids, or clitoral irritation. If you are taught to be clean, keep your underwear choices to yourself, and dress appropriately, no one will even know what you are wearing!

Boys/young men are given many options for underwear and we allow them to choose based on comfort, why not our girls? Saying no to thongs for our girls, is like saying no to boxers for our boys because (pardon the phrase) "its easy to whip out". Just my two cents. :)

6
1 7

Thank you Stephanie for the voice of reason. You sound like an intelligent woman who is raising a great kid!

14 0

I too seriously bet when your daughter starts too bleed that time of the month, will urgently ask for full cut brief panties!

0 0

What? Really? Who cares?

6
0 32

My DD is 12, nearly 13, and I have always struggled with the lack of young clothes out there. If you want a mini-me 20yo then no worries, but in a world that wants out littlies to grow up far too fast, its hard to find modest clothes that let a little girl be a little girl. I have never encouraged the little bralets - not because I wanted to steiffle her, but simply because they weren't necessary. The moment she bloomed I was out there buying her proper bras. I guess I feel the same about the thong (which in Australia incedently is a flip-flop worn on your foot lol). When she needs it for what ever reason I'd be happy to purchase it, but for now, she's more than content wearing her 'granny undies' lol. I think a moral conscience, healthy self-esteem, and a generous heart, are far more important than underwear nobody see's. I will say again though, lets do our very best to let our little girls be able to stay little girls as long as they possibly can - it gets stripped away from them far too early these days.

6
43 2

I agree with you to a certain extent, however, I don't think what they have on under their clothes is what's going to influence them the most. MEDIA, ROLE MODELS, and PEER PRESSURE.

5 25

It really depends on the girl and how she wears them. If she's showing them off so they obviously show above her waist (whale tale) and her shirts are too short then she is using them as a way of saying "look at me", and therefore not mature enough. I think no matter what the occasion a girl under 14 should not wear thongs. Although I do understand in a sport like cheering and perhaps dance it might be fairly necessary.
Even though many of us may not look at thongs as sexy there are just as many who do. As much as we have the right to wear what we chose is right for us, we are also responsible for acting and dressing appropriately for certain occasions. For example wearing a thong and leggings to dance is one thing but not to church. A pet peeve of mine is when I see thongs hang out the back of a young teen's low rider jeans in church. It is distracting to adults, teens and children alike. I see it all too often.
As mothers we are responsible to teach our sons and daughters that how we dress sends a message. So whether your a boxers or briefs guy, a boy short or thong girl, thats your choice, your underwear and no one else should see it. If no one can see it, then there is no speculation, leers or comments.

6
0 20

I completely agree!

0 16

I wear them to avoid panty lines when I wear slacks. It is about looking nice in your clothes and being comfortable. If you make a bid deal about it they will just rebel about something else.

5
0 12

First of all, I am going to have to agree with all the other moms who believe there are better things to worry about than our daughters underwear. At least they are not showing their butts. I have allowed my daughter to wear them for years, we even go to Victoria Secrets to buy bras and underwear together. I personally won't wear them because I don't like anything like that, I would rather go "Commando" than wear a thong, but I have no problem with my daughter wearing them. Now I do believe girls should be teenagers before they start wearing them. I remember wearing pantyhose without underwear and that was perfectly acceptable when I was a teen. I also remember trying to find underwear to wear with those jeans or dress pants that didn't have back pockets, which was next to impossible until they came out with those Lovepats. I love my daughter and I am truly glad that she shares everything with me (including things I really don't want to hear but she trust me and I trust her to make the right decision for her). She is a GREAT girl, smart, funny and beautiful!

5
2 1

when she is old enough or mature enough to make the right decisions

5
3 20

I do not think there is anything wrong with them in there teens. My daughter is 18 and has purchased her own this year. Now her dad on the other hands thinks it is very wrong for her to wear them, but I believe she is an adult now and can wear what she wants. She is on birth control and we have talked so just be safe is all I can ask.

5
5 3

I dont think parents should encourage anything sexual for their children. Thongs, belly button rings, short shorts & so on. Girls should be raised to be ladies that respect themselves & their bodies. If they so chose to do those things as an adult its on them. Definitely have an open relationship with them & talk to them about the pros & cons to these things.

5
44 11

Thank you Jennifer! I agree with you, although I'd still prefer they didn't exist!

6 0

I'm sure this will come as a shock to some of you out there, but our children are sexual beings from an extremely young age. (No I'm not going into any more detail hers so as to spare your delicate sensibilities) Since when did underwear of any kind become sexual? Sensual, sure...under the right circumstances. Underwear is a matter of comfort and modesty. Yes, modesty. I personally think panty lines draw more unwanted attention and comment than the weariing of a non-showing thong would.

14 8

I understand your point with the short shorts...some girls I've seen literally have 1/2 a moon showing...not appropriate for a young girl for sure, I'm not sure how appropriate it is for grown women (depending on the venue of course) But underwear is worn UNDER the clothing. I'm not talking about a T-bar showing outside of the pants, just a thong under the clothing to avoid panty-lines... If you want to be so prudish, and say parents lead the way, maybe you should take a look at yourself, in your profile pic, you're wearing a tube top, a garment that would be considered quite sexy by some...so...do as I say, not as I do???

6 0

Oh if you only knew our daughter...she is all of the things you say are important in a young woman (and I agree w/ you) and MORE> She is one of the more modest dressers in any age group. She does not wear thongs, has never expressed a desire to. The perverts of the world do NOT need a reason for their behavior. You (and alot of others ) sound like you subscribe to the "she was asking for it" crowd. What a shame for your daughters. And I pray for your sons!

0 0

I find it interesting that you mention "turning people on" and "there are perverts in the world." We are talking about underwear; a garment that is worn UNDER your clothing. How is a totally covered undergarment going to "turn someone on?" How does what a person wears UNDER their clothes make them a follower, less focused, less likely to get honors, or a skank? I understand some girls do allow their underwear to show and that I agree does portrait a more sexual picture and attracts undue and inappropriate attention. However, I feel that is the minority rather than the majority, at least where I live. I feel thongs only become a "sexual" item if that is how a person chooses to view them. Nail polish, tank tops, strappy shoes, earrings, any shirt other than a turtle neck - all these things can be considered "sexy" if you choose to look at it that way. I do not feel that because I allowed my daughter to wear thongs at 16 (she is now 18) I did not "lead the way." I asked her questions and we discussed the issue - communication is the key to being a good parent and "leading the way." My daughter is now a high school senior/part-time college student, has self confidence, self-respect, is a strong leader, and an honor student - and she did all that while wearing thong underwear from time to time! I respect the opinion of those who do not like or prefer not to wear certain items of clothing. I would not sit here and call you a fuddy duddy, a prude or any other name. It is your preference, your right, your opinion. However, it torks me off when those very same people criticize, judge, and presume those who wear those articles of clothing (in this case thong underwear) are weak, lack self-confidence, and are skanky. Perhaps if we all stated our opinion without name calling or making degrading remarks towards others, we could all live in a more pleasant world. It is great to read about other parents pride in their children - about their childs self-confidence, honors, and successes - but I highly doubt any of it is because of the kind of underwear they did, or did not wear! Keep up the good work parents!!

43 2

Still wondering what's the association between thongs and sex. If you teach your child that the two intertwine from the start, then of course that's what they will associate that with, but okay.

2 0

I agree and disagree.A girl should not sleep with whoever whenever and let people do whatever they want with her, But it is absolutely unacceptable that a simple piece cloth that goes under clothing, and is generally worn to keep from having panty lines can be so sexualized on such young girls. It only encompasses a message of lack self-respect because we as a society do not respect the boundaries of sexuality.

Profile Picture
0 0

There are much worse things, pick your battles.

4
Profile Picture
0 0

I personally wear thongs all the time expect period time. I think underwear is underwear it is what you feel comfortable wearing not someone else. I think that when it comes time for them to decide what they want to wear then it is their choice. I agree with Laura there are bigger things to worry about.

4
0 0

My youngest daughter is almost 19 and she bought a few of her own maybe 2 years ago - I was kind of shocked when I first saw them in the laundry (after all she's my baby!) but I gave her a good natured hard time about them. She was class president at her high school for 4 years, in the honor society, captain of her soccer team and a host of other very positive roles including active in our church, so I dont see the big deal about them either. I personally dont like them but she dresses conservative so no one sees them anyway. I think when they're mid to late teens and they are acting responsibly it should be their choice...

4
0 20

I agree with Laura. My daughter started wearing thongs when she was 13-14. she bought them with her own money. Had male and female friends was an honor student and was not promiscuos. She is now 26. Married for over 5yrs, Graduated from 2 colleges, working as a teacher, and pregnant with her 1st child. I am so very proud of her and she was not altered negatively by wearing thongs.

4
0 5

I asked my 14 your old daughter what she thought about thong underwear.

I got the no way known answer, she sees it as a torture device. Who would purposely wear their underwear up their bottom..............

I suppose she has a point. LOL

4
4 6

I like your approach. If you talk/ask them about it, it in no way can become "taboo" and I think 9 times out of 10, (if it is not already considered taboo) that they will have no interest in such things.

1 12

I think she is old enough as soon as she can give you a valid reason why she should be wearing them (and not because they are cool!). I have see a lot of great responses by other people who's daughters were wearing them for a reason. My daughter is 18 and refuses to wear them because they are uncomfortable, but if she felt it was necessary, I am sure she would.

I think you should look at the clothes your child is wearing and why she feels the thong is appropriate...

4
5 54

i think when they r teenagers if they like them .I don't like them.. To me wearing them is like wearing no panties...

3