What is a good age for chicken pox exposure?

If a mom wants to get chicken pox over and done with, what is a good age for your child to be exposed?

5 24

Never is a good age. The CDC and AAP both recommend vaccination against varicella, which is available at age one and age four and required for kindergarten admission.

14
51 1

Every child older than 3 years in Australia did not receive chickpox vaccination including my own. Why would you risk possible side effects of the vacination which does not necessarily give you lifelong immunity?

18 6

Are you aware of the complications of chicken pox? Meningitis which can lead to permanent brain damage or death. I've seen it happen.

20 0

my classmate's sister-in-law makes $79 an hour on the internet. She has been unemployed for seven months but last month her pay was $14450 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site >>>>>>>>>WEP6.ℂℴℳ Go to website and click Home tab for more details. ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

9 11

since the advent and availablilty of vaccines, people have forgotten just how horrible, debilitating and often deadly many diseases are. Mumps, Measles, ChickenPox, Polio, Whooping Cough....etc all cut horrible paths through human populations...and now that many folks are refusing to vaccinate...the recent horrible (thankfully contained) outbreaks of Measles and Whooping Cough were all traced to unvaccinated people who had gone traveling out og the country, been exposed and then came back to the US and infected other unvaccinated people and children who were too you to be vaccinated and therefore terribly vulnerable. Vaccinate. Please... it's like wearing a seatbelt...a little discomfort, but you make it safely to your destination.

6
9 11

oops *of, *young...

5 21

So very true!

51 1

Have anyone actually experience chickpox, mumps and measles? I was of the age to experience of all these and I am hesitate not rushing out to vaccinate. Check statistics 90% of decline of these diseases were prior to vaccination.

9 11

I had chickenpox as a little girl.... it was horrible painful unceasingly itchy, feverish and uncomfortable,,,... my mom kept me in lttle white cotton gloves to prevent me from scarring myself as i couldnt help but scratch...I wouldnt wish that feeling on anyone-Especially a little kid.

42 0

remember having measles and chicken pox. Measles kept me out of school (grade 1) for 3 weeks and I have fond memories of being allowed to play in my mom's bedroom because we could darken that room. Apparently it affected my eyes somehow, but I have no after-effects--- just a great fondness for making dolls out of old-fashioned round-headed clothespins! LOL! Mildred Carroll I Refuse to Participate in the Poor Economy - I Love My Life! www.Mom2Six.com

18 6

If these diseases were declining so much, why are the incidences now on the rise as less people immunise?

69 23

I think 3rd-5th grade is a good time. I had them in 3rd grade myself, and my brother was in first grade.. Why are people so quick to shoot their kids up with every poison filled shot they can? I also want my kids to gain natural immunity to chicken pox. I want them to use their own god given immune systems to keep them healthy. I do not preach to people who vaccinate, but I am constantly preached at. She asked a specific question and not one person answered it. If you want professional advice, call a naturapath, they generally do not support vaccination, and they may have a better answer then me:)

5
5 21

She asked an opinion of a group of non-professional moms, and she got their nonprofessional answers. She asked "when" and most responded "never.". It's good that you can give her a different perspective. But, those who vaccinate feel just as strongly as those who don't. And I think that's fair.

11 12

I'm a mom who vaccinated, and we opted out of this one, because it's a newer drug and you don't know ANY of the long term side effects on it. We ALL had chicken pox and are fine. I was about 4 years-5 years old when I got the chicken pox. As unfortunate as it is to go through chicken pox, i'd rather take the chance with that, then expose my daughter to a new drug that has had no chance to show it's long term side effects. For all we know, in about 30 years, all the vaccinated children could end up with heart defects or any other sort of problem and I think I feel worse for them having been test subject because parents dont want to have to deal with all the chicken pox problems.

10 2

The problem with chicken pox (besides the 2 or more weeks of intense itching, oozing sores, fever, & permanent scars) is that you will always carry the virus, & sometimes your natural antibodies aren't enough to combat the secondary illness from the chicken pox virus called shingles. My dad got it & if he were alive today, he could tell you about the excruciating pain he endured for several days that was so bad the 45 yr old healthy young man was curled up in the fetal position crying like a baby. Get the shot, don't get the shot, your choice but make sure you are fully informed on both sides of the controversy so you can make an educated decision. But above all else DO NOT deliberately expose your child to it! That is ludicrous & unfair. Besides, your child may be one of the lucky ones who don't ever get it. Cases are fewer & farther apart these days, so it is a very real chance that he won't even ever get it.

51 1

Shingles is listed as a side effect of the vaccination as well as a possiblity with natural chickpox. It has been suggested at a higher rate with vaccination as the 'immunity' you get from vaccination is not as effective as contracting the disease naturally.

4 8

I have to agree with the rest of the answer. I wish my country had vaccination for chicken pox when I was a kid so I didn't have to bear these pockmarks on my cheeks and breast caused by chickenpox I got when I was four. Exposing your child to chickenpox just to get it over and done with is a cruel choice compared to forcing a child to have one single injection when she was under four and another one when she was 9. Wouldn't you wish your Mother do that to you rather than having to have painful watery stuff sprouting all over your body, and the crazy itch they cause for two weeks, even on your scalp and inside your ear tunnels? Please, use vaccination if it's available. It's always the wiser choice and less cruel. Chickenpox scars and you have this scar for the rest of your life.

5
9 16

Although I DO believe in vaccinations for children (both my kids are completely up to date except for the Flu shot because we choose not to do them) I don't feel like giving kids a vaccination for Chicken Pox is the best answer to the virus. (Again both my kids have the vaccination. They have it not because I think it's a good idea, but because it was required to enter schhol and daycare) I feel like we are creating whole generations of people who will now as adults experience Shingles because they never had Chicken Pox as children! Let's be honest here for a second. Yes as the kids grow up they are required to get boosters so they're fine...but as adults "we" don't always take good care of ourselves. Our boosters are put off or forgotten all together! I'd rather my child have a few weeks of discomfort now than something far worse as an adult. So if you ask ME, age 2-12 is perfect to expose your kids to contract the virus. And frankly God bless the parents who are willing to still expose their kids and let nature do what it does best!

3
80 10

Um, getting chicken pox naturally doesn't preclude getting shingles when you're older. I know, I got chicken pox as a little kid in the early 70's and came down with a case of shingles in my early 30's. Nor does getting the vaccine make you more likely to get shingles later. O.o

85 27

....umm the research I have read suggests that it is thought the vaccine will PREVENT shingles... I had chickenpox as a child and unfortunately got shingle last year (pretty painful) at age 34...

703 25

I myself had chicken pox when I was 10-11 years old, mumps the following summer and rubella at 12? I believe? it wasn't bad at all. I should mention that I was raised in Poland and they didn't do these vaccines at the time (now they do) As long as you are going through these diseases before you hit puberty, it is ok.

2
80 10

I support vaccination, but if you don't or don't live in a part of the world where vaccination is an option, then I'm going to suggest that, rather than look for a way to expose by a certain time, allow nature to take it's course. If you live in an area that has been heavily vaccinated, and you simply prefer the natural method as opposed to the medicinal method, then you are signing up for everything the natural method entails. You may have trouble finding a natural exposure situation, and exposure doesn't guarantee contraction of the virus in any case.

2
1 11

I feel like this is a flawed question. Wanting "chicken pox over and done with" assumes that one cannot avoid getting it and therefore, you want it sooner vs. later since it's an inevitability. This isn't true now that there is a pretty successful vaccine that can prevent chicken pox. People also think that acquiring this illness during childhood is less serious than during adulthood. See the most recent news articles that report a sharp decrease in deaths due to chicken pox. Although pretty rare, people can die from this disease, so why would you expose your kids if it's preventable?

http://children.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20110725/sharp-drop-in-chickenpox-deaths-due-to-vaccine

2
0 36

when vaccination is available why would you put your child through the illness?

2
68 0

NEVER EXPOSE A CHILD TO CHICKEN POX , MEASELS OR MUMPS . Children need to be protected from these things not exposed . Children die from these diseases and have long term effects . Have your child vaccinated for every thing possible . Shilgles , unable to have children are just a few . you don't want to be the cause of your child being ill .

1
703 25

Mary I had mumps, rubella and chicken pox between ages 11-12 and I'm alive and healthy. Kids don't die from those believe me, but If there is vaccines for it I would just get vaccine.

2,551 1

Ania, not all women who used lead cosmetics died either but we all know that many did. Many children do indeed die from mumps, rubella and chicken pox.

0 0

Please have your child vaccinated if you are able! Chicken pox is a miserable disease to have, even as a child...I "loved" having it as a 12-yr old over Christmas break. :-( At any rate, I think vaccination is the way to go - not just to prevent chicken pox (which can rarely be very serious in and of itself), but also to prevent Shingles: (Lifted from Web MD) "Shingles occurs when the virus that causes chickenpox starts up again in your body. After you get better from chickenpox, the virus "sleeps" (is dormant) in your nerve roots. In some people, it stays dormant forever. In others, the virus "wakes up" when disease, stress, or aging weakens the immune system. It is not clear why this happens. But after the virus becomes active again, it can only cause shingles, not chickenpox.

You can't catch shingles from someone else who has shingles. But a person with a shingles rash can spread chickenpox to another person who hasn't had chickenpox and who hasn't gotten the chickenpox vaccine."

Both my grandmother and father have had shingles - SUPER PAINFUL - and I do not want my daughter to be infected with this supposedly "benign" virus; she has been vaccinated. I am now "happily" awaiting my case of shingles like my family members who also weren't able to be vaccinated as kids, and who were purposefully infected with chicken pox.

1
Profile Picture
2,551 1

Any parent who deliberately gets their child sick is a disturbed crazy person who should not be allowed to have kids! Get the vaccine!

What is wrong with people? Actually WANTING their child to get a disesea that could maim or kill them?

1
5 21

I have to agree with everyone else. Although it seems like a trivial childhood disease that's easily "over and done with," it can actually be deadly. I've had three confirmed cases of it as a child, each one getting more severe. The last time it went internal: mouth, nose, throat, lungs, etc. Fever was so high I had convulsions. And apparently, these cases aren't so rare even for the first time! I never developed "natural" immunity to chicken pox, and I rely on the vaccine and those vaccinated around me to keep me from getting it again. Why would you take the risk?

1
89 19

How awful for you! There are certainly cases where vaccination is the much better option, especially in a case of having no natural immunity. I've recently had a varacella titer done to be sure that I have immunity, which shows that I do. I would like for my husband to have one done as well, since he was exposed as a child but never came down with them. We had a scare a year ago where he was exposed again. Our doctor thinks that he is most likely immune, but the worry is still there.

17 4

Never is a good age! Why when there are vaccines to protect your child would you put them through that.

1
4 32

I'm 32 years old & all my friends got chicken pox. The younger the exposure, the better. I felt this was the way to go, even with my children. However, now I'm aware of the shingles virus that accompanies chicken pox & I feel it is not an easy disease to have & is preventable through the chicken pox vaccine. I definitely want to research this more, but this is my understanding.
Also with hardly any children having chicken pox these days, it would be hard to know how the virus is today. Has it evolved/devolved into a more dangerous format?
Blessings & best wishes on finding the best solution!

0
18 6

NEVER. I have personally seen a child die from chicken pox related meningitis, and several others on life support from this illness. Varicella, the virus that causes chicken pox can also cause meningitis, sometimes without the itchy rash or other signs first. By immunising your child against varicella, you can prevent both chicken pox and its' serious side effects.

0
42 0

I'd say anytime past the first 6 months unless the child is sickly then you might want to wait till they're one. That way they probably won't even remember it and they're small enough to carry around if they get cranky! :)

Mildred Carroll
I Refuse to Participate in the Poor Economy -
I Love My Life!
www.Mom2Six.com

0
3 51

If you're not aware that there's a vaccine available (and recommended) for this, get a new pediatrician.

0
483 43

My borther had the chicken pox when he was 5 and I was in 2nd grade (1976-1977), I never did get them. My kids had the chicken pox in Nov 1996 (my daughter was 5 and my son was almost 2) and I never got them. Since the vaccine was ready for use around 1995, I wonder if I have a natural immunity to them, is that even possible?

0
0 14

My husband was an infant when his older siblings got chicken pox and he says his mother told him he didn't get them. So like you when he was exposed to chicken pox as an adult in the house and was never vaccinated he did not get them. Maybe immunity was built as an infant without breaking out with the pox.

0 14

If you choose to vaccination or exposure it is your personal preference. I had chicken pox as a child and got shingles at 28 when my daughter was 2 and my son was 4. He was vaccinated and did not get sick, but my daughter got chicken pox from me having shingles (ramsay hunt syndrome). Her reaction was mild the Dr did not believe she had it, but a blood test proved she did. The lab results suffice for proof of vaccination for daycare. I am interested in the differences between my kids references shingles when they get older. It was a mild case my 2 year old had so oatmeal baths and lotion soothed her sores well and didn't last too long from what I remember.

0
89 19

I completely agree with Dorothy! I put off having my daughter vaccinated but in the end had it done because of off the flack I received. Im in the medical field, and I believe in vaccinating... 110%!! But I absolutely worry about Shingles as an adult. You think chicken pox was bad as a kid? Shingles are worse and are reoccurring!
I had chicken pox very badly as a child ( 9 I think ). In fact mine were internalized! But I dont really remember it. I do understand that there is the chance of death, but there is that chance in everything we do. We cant bubble wrap our kids, there are risks in everything. But what a shame to cause more problems as they are adults because of trying to protect them as children from everything.

0
12 32

I would say 5 or 6yrs old it gets worst when there older

0
0 12

Whatever you do, vaccinate or exposure, I would say do it sooner rather than later because Chicken Pox do get worse as you get older. I got them when I was 17 and it was truly awful! I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

0
73 8

Hi dear mom: first of all the chicken pox is highly contagious
Disease, very dangerous and can cause
death, second there is not age
To get that illness can affect, a baby, a
toddler, a kid, a teen
An adult, an elderly, if you don't trust
vaccines I would recommend you to take at
least
This one and repeat the dose of vaccination
as your dr send you.
I as a child got chicken pox, it wasn't fun,
and my mom didn't
Know about that vaccine fortunately I'm here to tell.
Now I got my vaccines cuz that illness repeat lady.
And I got my kid vaccinated. Good luck.

0
0 6

My son had them two weeks before his fifth birthday whilst in Reception class. The illness spread its way through the nursery, reception class and the junior school so there was no getting away from it. I wish that we were able to get the vaccine in the UK as I was on the understanding that once you had Chicken pox you had life long immunity but now Ive been told by the doctor that you can catch it again it all depends on how severe you had it.

0
15 16

Hi, i have a 4yo daughter and we are currently experiencing chicken pox right now. lucky for her (and me!) she has only got a mild case of it, but to see her itchy and uncomfortable is horrible. trying to get the cream on her or her in the bath was a complete mission to. she just doesnt understand whats happening to her. i had it when i was 8 and i remember feeling very uncomfortable, but i do wish she had got it a little bit older then 4. but hey, nature decided otherwise and we are just rolling with it. i also didnt purposly expose her to it, she just popped up with spots last thursday. hope this has helped a little bit to answer your question.

0
0 0

Well my daughter get them at six month

0
36 14

Yes, I also recommend getting the vaccine, so your child will never have to have chicken pox. Also, I have older children as well and they now also give 11 year olds a booster for chicken pox and kids who have been vaccinated against chicken pox will likely need to continue to get boosters every 10 or 15 years throughout life to make sure they maintain immunity to chicken pox. This is especially important because adults (usually age 60+) often develop shingles and they cannot pass on shingles, but they ca pass chicken pox on to someone who has never had it and is not immunized. So if you are immunized against chicken pox then you are safe from contracting it from other kids who were not vaccinated for whatever reason, and also from grandparents and older adults who can get shingles and pass on chicken pox to people. (-: Dont be afraid to get vaccinated. My brother doesn't vaccinate his kids and last year his one year old son got whooping cough. Thank goodness he was ok, buit he could have been hospitalized or even died from it, and he still could have complications from it in the future.

0
89 19

pertussis is very serious! Im glad your nephew is alright! ( although even with vaccines they can get it, my friends son did ). But out here there was an outbreak and at least 3 children died from it. Which is so sad!

5 21

Exactly! Even with the vaccines it's still possible to get the illnesses. They only work when the vast majority of people have them. Vaccines don't take the risk of infection down to 0%, but they descrease it significantly. When everyone is vaccinated, with an extremely low risk if picking up and passing on the bugs, then we get close that 0% risk. I am acutely aware that there are some people that can't/shouldn't have some of the vaccines, but that's all the more reason that everyone else needs them. Our vaccinations protect them too! Like with the whooping cough...they are encouraging parents and people that live in the house with newborns to have the shot to protect the babies while they are too young be inocculated.

12 0

I actually understand the idea of letting nature take it's course. However having chicken pox can lead to having shingles later in life. Shingles lives in the nerve fibers of your body and can crop up not just once, but numerous times. I have cared for people with shingles as a nurse and a family member. No pain medication touches it since it is in the nerves and the pain is literally enough to drive you out of your mind. I gave my kids this vaccine even though it was newer and not so much coverage because of the risk of shingles later. Then if they don't get it as a kid due to lack of exposure, they are at risk forever of getting it and it is much harder to deal with as an adult. So I would have to say never, but if you choose this route, an older child will be easier to deal with as far as scratching, etc. and it could be more dangerous for a baby/toddler as everything is, especially if they get sores in their mouths and won't eat or drink well leading to dehydration.

0 0

My daughter is 5yrs old and she has just had the chicken pox and with plenty cream to soothe the itch and plenty rest she was absolutely fine and its the going away part thats the worse but she is happy and its up to yourself what you do no one can give you the answer Am happy my daughter has had them.