What has surprised you most about motherhood?

0 0

How much love I have for those two little people and how they complete me. That's the soppy answer. The real answer is how much they are costing me now that they are getting bigger and don't share an apple any more! I'm still buying 4 apples expecting it to last 4 days and it's lasting 2!

0
1 24

Being a mom is such a blessing. Just knowing that God has entrusted you with these children... it's just such an honor to be called "Mom".
My kids surprise me every day with their intelligence and humor.

0
0 296

How funny my kids can be and how hard they can make me laugh from such a young age.

0
0 0

That I can survive on 2 hours of sleep and one meal a day! I am also flabbergasted by the incredible love I have for my child. There are not enough words to come close to expressing the amazing feeling of true unconditional love I have for my baby.

0
0 58

How much love I could feel for someone I just met. When my first daughter was born I was so happy, I don't think I shut up for months about how beautiful she was.

0
0 25

Motherhood has been a string of surprises. Some good, some frightening, some enlightening, others humbling. What has surprised me the most though is how much becoming a mother has made me strive to be a better person. I am so aware of the fact that I am the greatest example to my three children, and knowing this forces me to think before I act, or speak, or cry, or laugh. I stop and I think about how my children will see me, what example I will be setting for them by behaving a certain way. I want them to grow into productive, kind, empathetic, inspired, strong people. I want them to never give up on things. I want them to realize that the right things are not always the easiest things. I want them to think about others, be proud of themselves, and try new things. I try to live my Life in a way that exemplifies these qualities. I am not always successful, of course, and in fact, I probably fail more than I know, but what has surprised me is how important setting an example has been to me as a mother. And by doing this for them, I not only become a better mother as I go along, I become a better everything.

0
0 0

I've always wanted to be a mom, but now that I actually am, I find it better than I ever imagined. I love my daughter so much it hurts, and find myself amazed by her every day -- from her perfect cheek skin, to her exploration of "adult" food, to her propensity to dance to the same Yo Gabba Gabba! episode no matter how many times she has seen it. It sounds cliche, but I didn't realize how truly profound the love a mama has for her child really is!

0
0 218

I'd say the amount of love that you have for your child, it's like a bond that's so strong nothing can break it.

0
0 0

How selfish I actually am.

0
6 0

I had no idea how big my heart would grow and how much I would love the job of being a momma. There is nothing more peaceful than a baby's head nestled in your neck, breathing softly and rhythmically. There isn't a better way to know you are so incredibly needed then when a toddler is sick and can't lift their head off the pillow. It is a quick reminder that as a Momma, you are responsible for molding the foundation of esteem and attitude when your 5 year old asks you if she's pretty. Motherhood is the most rewarding, yet challenging job there is. Each unique child is given to us as a way to expand, grow and stretch us in ways that will surprise us. It is the most precious gift I have ever received.

0
1 0

extreme joy.
extreme exhaustion.
having to repeat myself over and over and over and over and....
and, finally, the sheer fun of watching the kiddos find their own passions as they grow.

0
1 0

I've always been able to multi-task, but I never thought I'd be able to keep track of so much in my head. I may not be able to remember what I had for breakfast, but I can remember all sorts of things-to-do, appointments, school functions, family obligations, get-togethers, play-dates... I'm mentally and physically exhausted at the end of the day, and once the kids go to bed, I have to watch meaningless TV to stop thinking! Otherwise my brain is making constant lists!

0
0 0

I feel like everything about motherhood surprises me. Like how capable I am of taking care of another human being. Or how I'm still able to function on such a minuscule amount of sleep. Or how I mustered up the strength to go back to work once my maternity leave was up (a million times harder than giving birth, if you ask me; it's been well over a year and I'm still struggling with it). Or how much I adore this little soul, unconditionally, to the very depths of my being. How my husband is such a natural at being a father, right from day one. We've been together since my Sophomore year of college, and truth be told I never felt like we had to work much at our relationship. Uh...we kind of have to work at it now! That surprised me, too. I feel as if my entire life were leading up to this point, and I never even realized it. And no doubt the surprises will keep rolling in.

0
1 0

I suppose what has surprised me the most is how absolutely all consuming it is. I knew that going in, but until I experienced it, I didn't really KNOW it. Motherhood impacts absolutely every part of life. Whether I'm with the children or not, whether it's a decision that directly involves them or not, they are in my thoughts and decision making. There is no ME alone, there is ME as the Mommy of two girls. The absolute, all-consuming aspect of motherhood is something that has to be experienced to truly be known.

0
15 0

How easy and hard it is at the same time. How rewarding it is. How much I love being a mom.

0
0 0

Before having children I knew I had always wanted to have a family and that I would love my children, but I had no idea that being a mum will satisfy me and fulfil me so much. There isn't anything more beautiful than being with my two daughters.

0
5 0

I guess I'm surprised by how much I enjoy it. I dislike all the scare tactics that veteran moms tell new and pregnant moms--all the stuff like "you'll never sleep again" and all that. I just haven't found any of it to be true. Sure, some of it is hard, but they go through all the stages so quickly, I just try to enjoy every moment. I just love being with them so much, I wish I had done it sooner.

0
0 0

I am potentially the least maternal mom I know. At 35, I was still trying to bargain with my husband for more time. I had a great career and loving husband. That might have been enough for me. Then my Mom got sick and in caring for her, I learned that I was more capable in the that department then I had given myself credit for. I really love mothering. Some days I just suck at it. More accurately, some moments I suck at it. Most of the time, my empathy carries me through when my patience runs thin.

The other part of motherhood that surprises me is that I am still mothering my daughter, despite her death to cancer in 2009. Telling her story and being a pediatric cancer advocate helps me feel close to my girl who I will never fight with about dating or curfews, walk down a marriage aisle, or help prepare for becoming a mother herself. The ache of missing her is a burden, but that ache is lessened by talking about her, doing good things in her name, sharing her astounding four year old Donna wisdom with my readers.

Now we are preparing to adopt a child. This is both exciting and terrifying. I have been a mother for seven years now, but still, the whole experience is an emotional one and will be different this time around. For a birth mom to pick me to mother her child, well, I can't think of anything more profound or sacred.

0
0 10

What surprised me most is just how much you are willing to give up and even want to give up if it benefits your child.

0
0 0

How HARD it is but still REWARDING. Every day I'm challenged, I struggle in the patience department and telling a toddler to hurry up is literally the equivalent to telling them to go as slow as humanly possible. I find new ways to overcome tantrums, kiss a boo boo, entertain them, and this is just another day.

Even though it's the hardest job, it's also the most rewarding. Cliche..maybe. But it is. Seeing your child learn something you taught them gives me so much pride. Watching your child become a little person who offers smiles to strangers and hugs to everyone is something I will never get enough of.

0
0 0

That I had to totally reinvent myself in every way, after becoming a mother. Everything changed: my career, my body, the way I felt about myself, my circle of friends, my interest in politics and mothers' and women's issues--just every aspect of my life was touched by this enormous transition.

0
0 0

How calm I am. I thought I would be a lot more protective and worrisome. But, I'm not! Also, the amount of STUFF little people need is mind boggling. I knew babies needed lots of stuff but I didn't realize the endless amounts of items I would be buying.

0
3 0

I think the thing that has surprised me the most about motherhood is that after giving birth to five kids, I can’t do anything without peeing my pants. Someone tells a funny joke. Pee. Mom, jump on the trampoline with us! Pee. I’m going to go for a run. Pee. Upper respiratory infection, pick up adult diapers when you fill your prescriptions. No amount of Kegels can help. Trust me, I’ve tried.

0
0 66

I’ve been quite surprised by the fact that we not only learn some very tough lessons as parents, but that our children are the teachers of those lessons. I believe learning to embrace the lessons with love and humor is important.

0
0 0

I didn't understand the depths of love I could feel until I had children. The awesome feelings of joy along with the complete frustration that occurs pretty much everyday. I was surprised by how much closer my husband and I became after having children. I always heard having kids is stressful on a marriage. I can see how this is true, especially since we have no family in the state to help us but overall our kids have brought my husband and I much closer. We are 100% committed to our marriage.

I had NO IDEA how much I would be talking about poop. Gross!

0
113 2

I always imagined the part of motherhood where you read to the kids and volunteer at school and cook them breakfast on Saturday mornings. What I wasn't prepared for was the intense pressure to be perfect, to do this mothering thing absolutely right. Self-imposed or society-imposed, doesn't matter. My actions and decisions and words will factor into who my children become and what our relationship will be. And that's a lot of pressure.
On a lighter side - I don't think I realized how fun it would be to hang out with my kids and how much joy I would get from their happiness.
Lastly - I didn't expect that I would understand my own mother so much!

0
0 0

My third nipple that showed up when I was preggers. How it's so easy to accidentally pee when you sneeze even if you had a c-section. That I can change a diaper, check my email, pay the bills, wax my mustache and balance the laundry basket on my head all at the same time. And just about everything else.

0
0 0

Ha! Motherhood! I never expected to get so lost. I did not anticipate being so confident in coming around to define my existence through motherhood. We also homeschool and attachment parent (we have 4 bedrooms and one bed and my 3 year old still nurses). Now THAT was a shocker for me!

0
0 0

Everything and nothing at the same time! I really tried to go into this whole parenting thing with no expectations of what it was going to be like. Sure I read out the wazoo about parenting and what to expect as a general norm, but keeping in mind that every child and family is different is important. I've experienced different types of motherhood - both the full time working mom and the stay at home (and a little in between) each has their own hurdles to overcome as well as positives to celebrate.

0
2 0

I’m the mom of four kids, three boys and a baby girl, ages 11 months to 21 years. Nothing surprises me anymore about motherhood. I’ve seen it all – from two toddler boys decorating my brand new kitchen and living room walls and floors with squirt ketchup and mustard (the one and only time I ever accidentally drifted off to sleep while they were running around) to the trials and tribulations of first loves and peer pressure. Although motherhood is an individual experience, unique to each woman, many of the challenges and issues we face are similar. We can learn so much from each other, which is one of the reasons why I blog (and read a lot of other mom and lifestyle blogs).

0
6 63

Hearing my mom's words come out of my mouth. You know, when you're a kid and you heard things like, "because I said so", and you didn't think it was fair. Ha, now I understand why Mom said it. Basically, because it fit - and it ends the whining - most of the time.

The other aspect of motherhood that surprised me - how much I really enjoy being a stay at home mom. I was a worker bee. I worked full time (40hrs) with one job, many times I had a part-time gig going on the side, and places to go, things to do. When I was pregnant with my son, I debated on returning to work or staying home. I had heard both sides of the mommy tales - how much they enjoyed returning to work and having adult conversations. And I had also heard how fulfilling it was to be home, take care of the family, see every milestone, etc. I worried I was on the go so much, that I'd go nuts staying home. After he turned about 4 months, I started a mommy and me class, joined a mom's group, and was always on the go...it hasn't stopped. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised - I'm more busy now, than when I was working full time.

0
4 0

How much work it is! LOL! No, I am surprised at the reserves I have even on the toughest days. When they are sick, broken, troubled or just plain old bad or when I am sick, broken, troubled or just plain old bad, there are still mounds of love to give. Even when I am tired of the noise, the socks on the floor and the ungrateful nature of it all, I can still kiss them good night, tell them I love them and mean it.

These quotes made me laugh.
Ray Ramano says: "Having children is like living in a frat house - nobody sleeps, everything's broken, and there is a lot of throwing up."

Phyllis Diller says: "I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then, I want to move in with them."

She also says:"We spend the first 12 months of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk and the next 12 months telling them to sit down and shut up."

I think I will always be surprised at the fact that if I wouldn't have done that third in-vitro, and would have given up, I would have never known the greatest joy of my life, being a mom. I am glad I am stubborn! ;0)

0
0 1

Honestly, what has suprised me the most is how hard it is. We tried for over a year to have a baby; I am a teacher; I have been around kids forever and have babysat for as long as I can remember. But nothing could prepare me for how hard it is. Of course, it's amazing how when things are good and wonderful, you quickly forget the bad. But there are days when it's all you can do to keep it together.

0
18 65

That it is completely different than just watching children. I was a Nanny for five years (hence the name), and everything is different. I don't have my weekends, she rebels against me, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

0
0 0

Well I bet most Mommas would agree, when you are ready to have your first child all the way through at least the first 6 months of pregnancy, you are sure you have it all under control. That you know everything you will ever need to know and then it changes.

The love and compassion that you feel for that pink squirmy and wriggly baby is overwhelming and then the second guessing starts. Did I get the right diaper? Am I doing enough? Is this the right food? Why arent they walking yet? So then begins the maybe Im not doing it right until one day/moment and every day becomes something amazing.

It could be a new word and the proud Momma moments kick it, a new move, and new action...and thats when you realize that your heart will keep growing with love for each and every child.

0
3 24

I love being a mother. I became a mother at a young age and even though I hadn't planned on becoming a mom so young, I simply can't imagine my life without the chaos of children. Maybe this is why I have four now:) Motherhood is not easy, but for me it feels right. The most surprising thing is how much my love for all of my children is intertwined with the fear, worry, guilt, and more fear I feel at any given moment. I suppose the cliche is true - you fear what you love most... or something like that. I've never been great at cliches. My goal with my blog is to work through the fear and guilt and just live in the moment. Also, to be forgiving with myself. No person is perfect, especially when they have four kids!

0
2 0

I never knew how much love I could feel for one person, whom I just met and how much I would do and give to this beautiful little being. I never knew I could love someone this much. It's amazing.

0