What are the signs of an autistic child?

Wondering if the unusual behavior exhibited by your child is related to autism or not can be difficult. What behavior is typical of an autistic child?

0 2

My son was 12 months 2 weeks old when we realized he wasn't looking when his name was called. He would get so into whatever object he was perceverating on (tag on his blanket or wheels on a car) that he in his own world and until he visually saw us he did not respond. At first we thought he was deaf and immediately took him for hearing evaluation at CHOP to find out his hearing was 100% except his behavioral hearing was not up to par which is a sign of something not right. We then waited for a developmental pediatrician to evaluate him and at this point of waiting we did our own research of all of his arm flapping, toe walking, no speech, getting lost in the act of spinning wheels on a car/truck, flicking the tag on his blankie, and the meltdowns he would have and it all pointed to Autism. Dr. Yvette Janvier at Childrens Specialized Hospital evaluated him and it was then diagnosed that day at 18 months old that our son had Autism. From that day forward he had 5 days a week of in home therapies with developmental instructors, speech therapists, OT, and PT. He started with sign language which increased to sounds which increased to words. Today at age 6 1/2 he academically is above age appropriate and is just behind in behavior/maturity. He's very impulsive and can get himself into trouble that way. He also is very black and white and literal and that causes most of his daily meltdowns. I send any mom who just got that diagnosis a great big hug because I remember how empty and helpless I felt that day at 18 months old and wish that on no one but know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you are the chosen parent(s) because God Doesn't Give Anything He Knows You Can't Handle! ♥

63
1 28

Tammy, your son is lucky to have you as his mom. You sound pretty blessed also. It's funny because I just used the same phrase, "God only gives what you can handle", with a friend of mine. My mom taught me that.

0 1

Better to start early than to ignore the signs. My son was diagnosed at 3 1/2. We immediately started with OT. Then was lucky enough to enroll him in our 1/2 day Developmentally Delayed preschool at the school I teach at. He has made huge gains. Our biggest problem is eating and trying new foods. I always say my son may not be "perfect" but God gave me the perfect son who is just perfect for me.

4 1

Tammy, thank you for sharing your story. You are a very wise parent. I am a Pre-K teacher and wish that more parents would take our approach and not deny their child's behavior is not typical. Recently a preacher at my daughter's church touched on the phrase about God not sending you anything you cannot handle. He suggested that we look at it from the other side, God cannot send us anything HE cannot handle. We have an awesome God that helps us through circumstances that we might otherwise not be able to face alone. God Bless you, your family and your precious son with autism.

15 18

I know people who saw great improvement when they put their autistic child on a gluten and casein-free diet. To quote the mom, most of the time he is a sweet child, but within 40 minutes of ingesting gluten, he becomes the Tasmanian devil. Staying gluten-free is not easy, but it is so worth it with those kinds of results.

15 18

Also, giving them probiotics can help by correcting the balance of "good" and "bad" bacteria in their intestines.

5 7

Yes... God would not give us anything we can't handle. I salute all moms who is in the same situation as yours. Hold on, don't give up, God is always there to provide and guide us.

1 58

I have a 5 year old who has ASD and developmental delay, when i first noticed the different was when he was 6 months old when he wasn't doing things kid his age was. but when he was 2 years old he had 2 word speech but the pediatrician who took his time in dignosing him with it. finally he was dignosed last yr and with the help of speech and OT his now saying up to 6 words in a sentence and start school next year...

21 0

FYI - - The link between AUTISM and ACIDITY is now emerging: "As a rule, a state of alkalinity is more efficient for detoxifying than is a state of acidity. I have found that most of my autistic kids, are acidotic. Dr. Jeffrey Bland and others have shown that people can overcome toxicity better by engaging in some simple techniques that increase the body's alkalinity. These techniques include eating more green vegetables, eating less high-fat meat, eating less sugar, and sometimes taking potassium citrate supplements." - Kenneth Bock, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics

1 16

My son is almost 10. He was diagnosed at 24 months, after I pushed for a second evaluation. I was actually told he wasn't Autistic by one evaluator because he kept getting up and walking away. "A truely autistic child would sit and complete the whole test" is what I was told. I knew better. He also would get so involved in what he was doing he wouldn't hesr anything. He is also immature emtionally.Last year he got talked to by teachers and the principal because he was caught sticking up his middle finger at the lunch table. After questioning him until he was in tears we were told "We are pretty sure he does't know what that means" When I talked to him later he told me the little boy across from him did it first he was immitating. I agree that God doesn't give you more than you can handle, but boy does He challenge you until it feels like you can't handle it.I was recently told that in comparison to all the other kids in his PE class he looks "normal",so everybody expects more and doesn't seem to understand when he can be "normal"

136 3

I hope this help if any at least one of you: my oldest son is 4 (last July) and he was still not potty trained at 3 when we (gratefully with success) started, he was diagnosed with mild autism so not as bad as your situation but after studying nights after nights while breastfeeding the newborn twins (just as a fun note) I found a mother with an autistic child that had done immense progress and could be almost considered normal and she addressed me on a path of a series of all different blood tests, urine test for heavy metals, genetic tests and referred me to the doctor that was curing her son, we started with a gluten free casein free diet (also no fish, no beef, no veal, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners and no junk food as much as possible (we gave in to salted crisps and peanuts as they are not as bad as other things and are ok according to the diet per se). After 2 weeks some improvements and the start of less aggressiveness, less head banging on the floor (it was very rare at this point already but still happening), less throwing things. After a few more months more improvements and a few words introduced, in february he started calling me mummy, finally and making sense of things, pointing, saying goodbye and other things, in April we finally met the doctor with the results of all the tests and based on those and his age etc. he gave us supplements and homeopathic remedies and natural chelation medicine such as zinc and magnesium to flush away all the mercury we had found he had (A LOT) and the other heavy metals present in his body. He just kept improving and improving, now it's not been a full year since the beginning of the diet yet and I consider him almost normal, he says sentences and has tantrums that are almost normal, says no, he is cheeky and stubborn, a whole different boy, loving with his baby brothers, sometimes jealous as normal and they fight over toys and they just do brothers' stuff... I hope that if you decide to test him and you find he has heavy metals too you can cure him and see massive improvements like we did, also if you did not do it yet stick him on this type of diet along with the test for HLA (genetic), if you find he has a gene (DQB1:03;05) then you will be sure he can never eat gluten and casein(dairy and relatives) as his body just makes them become drugs (opioids) therefore making him hyper and high (laughing maniacally is one of the things my son used to do), I'm here for any info. I copied this from my own answer to another post...to be quicker, so sorry for any mistakes.

68 0

moth son and hubby asd god nether lets u go through anything u cant handle god knows what he is doing he knows r children from be4 they were formed in the womb every gift from above is preciousx

31 0

I hate to be the person that posts for personal reasons on here, but I'm trying to write a play about autism and I noticed that the way you're all describing your children, is what I need to know, not the medical definitions. If you'd be so kind as to check out my post: http://www.circleofmoms.com/autismasperg... I'd be eternally grateful for your contributions. Or, if you'd prefer, I'm looking for one specific piece of help for one scene in my play. I'm going to use names and one word descriptions that mothers have given me as to what autism means to them. This can be from your perspective, your child's, society's, whatever but for example I received a comment from one mother that said, "saintly", so I'll use her name, (with permission), and her word, as part of the last scene in my play. If you want to just reply to this comment, that'd be equally wonderful. Thank you in advance for your bravery and your love.

0 0

Hello Tammy, my son behaves the same way as ur son he is 27months old and just got to know about autism ...can u please tell me wat type of extra care tey need and he doesnt understand my simple sentences am worried and he also has this habit of taking blanket tags and putting his thumb finger sucking.

2 22

She asked what the signs of an autistic child are not a debate. You want to debate vaccinations go to another post. Some of you people are down right rude. If someone chooses not to vaccinate THEIR child then so be it. If someone doesn't breast feed WHO CARES. Stick to the questions or find another post to be a jerk on.

38
8 14

You are comparing apples and oranges. If a mother chooses not to breastfeed it only affects her child. If a parent chooses not to vaccinate, it could have potentially deadly implications on other parents' young children. The vaccination debate is unfortunately tied to most autism discussions, even though is has been totally discredited. What if your child contracted a deadly disease from a child who was not immunized? I'm sure you'd feel much differently then.

4 1

If you have immunized your child, then you do not have to fear the UN-immunized child! If you afraid of your child getting a disease, you have the right to immunize your child. For some of us the side effects of the vaccination are just as frightening as the disease. I know because we gave my already diagnosed autistic daughter a measles vaccine and within hours she had gone from being able to give us eye contact and attending to us to being completely in her own little world. She was lost to us for over three weeks before she started finally coming back to us. She has not been vaccinated since.

8 14

Hellllooooooooooooooooo???? Did you not even read what I just wrote??? Babies CANNOT receive their first vaccinations until they are 2 months old, other vaccinations are later. Why should I have to let my child be exposed to deadly diseases because of others' ignorance??? Have fun with the mumps...I hear it's great.

0 1

Just FYI that's not true. My daughter got vaccinations the day she was born, the day after, and then has received others on every check up. I agree with Crystal C if your gonna talk about a topic unrelated go some where else. Or if you have to do it, at least try to know what your talking about.

8 14

I am quite sure that your daughter did not receive her MMR the day she was born. This is not an unrelated topic, it is unfortunately linked to the autism debate because of ignorant parents.

2 1

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2010/apr/10042306 Actually, Denise, I believe studies show that the MMR vaccination is dangerous and causing autism in certain children. Please read up on studies before you criticize others who HAVE done theri homework.

1 0

Personally, I don't believe everything I read online, there is a gross amount of misinformation out there. If I look for medical information, I prefer to use sites like the CDC, where the info is researched and regulated. As fas as I know, they have not found the cause of Autism and are looking into links between vaccinations and possible onset, but it's not concrete. It's like everything else, though, this week milk is good for you, next week it's not. At Denise, I'm not sure how old your little ones are, and while they do not give the MMR to a newborn, newborns DO get a vaccination in their first few days in the hospital for Hepatitis B. They begin the rest of the vaccination schedule at 2 months.

5 8

Wow that lady sounds very angry and full of hate.... have fun with the mumps? ! Venomous see you next tuesday..a

5 8

shouldn't really be even take your baby out before their 2 months old anyways

31 27

you should fear middle aged & old people too, then. as immunizations have to be constantly updated throughout one's lifetime, and most adults do not get booster shots, nor have most of them gotten all the vaccines that kids these days have gotten. plus, they were pushing vaccines before i took my daughter home from the hospital, what's this 2 month thing??

22 0

Denise, your rude. That being said, I vaccinated one of my twins with the MMR shot at 18 months as indicated and he had a high fever with in hours, it lasted for a week, And he is now autistic. Things aren't black and white. It does happen. My gut told me not to vaccinate but I didn't listen. I didn't vaccinate my other twin and he is fine. I don't care who he exposes to what, I can not take the risk. Some kids simply can not handle the vaccines or maybe the preservatives. But how do you tell if your kid is in that 1%?

0 0

My son is autistic and has never been vaccinated.

4 10

Being the mother of two boys with autism, I get asked all the time "How did you know something was wrong?" The main reason was I am their mom, and I could just tell something wasn't right. Every time I listed off the multiple issues they each have, people would say "I know a kid who does that." My reply is usually always the same. Yes, there are kids who are a bit lost in their own world, or who don't always listen when you talk, or don't always look you in the eye, or don't talk, or like to watch others instead of joining in playing, or have crazy ocd, or major sensory issues, or eating issues. But when ALL or MOST of those are in one person, a person you are with 24/7, who you know everything about, you know something isn't right. Especially if they had some/most of those skills then lost them. My boys are 3 and 4, know their letters by sound and sight, know their shapes including some I had to learn to teach them, can count above 100, and can spell the names of everyone in our family. But if you ask them a question that isn't yes or no or a scripted one they've practiced, they can't answer you. They can't tell me how they feel, what they learned at school, how they got a bruise. I can't explain things to them. Its the most dis-heartening, yet most rewarding thing I have ever had to deal with.

35
3 15

I would love to talk with you more. My son just turn three with the only diagnosis of a "young child with developmental delay". He toe walks and likes repetition but doesn't show any other "big" signs.. but the behavior and understanding issues you described is sounding right on. Any insight would be appreciated! I feel I've tried everything to keep him from screaming, acting out, hitting, etc.. try to explain and he just does not seem to grasp! Yet he understands concepts I had no idea he got. I guess the feeling of familiarity is comforting to me, because I don't know any child with Sebastian's issues. Thanks for the post Crystal cmarshall726@hotmail.com

5 4

Wow! That's just about describes my son! It's been so hard to explain to people what I see in my son. He's four and will be seeing a therapist neat week. I hope it's ok to use some of the words that you used to explain your son.

14 22

I have to totally agree with you, Laura. My daughter is 10 and she has recently been diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I have had doctors tell me she has ADD or is just a little different. But, as her mother, the one person who knows my daughter the best, I knew it was something more. She has extreme issues with change, does the hand flapping, and is developmentally behind in several subjects. You have to explain things to her in certain ways to get her to understand why some things have to be done and she is very socially awkward. It is kind of like she wants to make friends but she just does not know how or is afraid. I feel so bad for her because my husband is in the army so just as she is getting used to one place and has friends in one base we get moved to another and I know that does much more harm than good.

1 15

I can relate to this as my son has just been diagnosed with PDD-NOS as well. He is 5 1/2 and I have know there was something different about him since he was 2-3 yrs old. At first, we called it "OCD" (jokingly because I have this) but it soon became more. He is socially awkward, has difficulty engaging with other children ("parallel play") he likes to have "friends" but doesnt seem to understand the social concepts. He is very literal/"black & white". He "flicks" his fingers alot, and shows very repetetive speech patterns: i.e. memorizing commercials, etc. (and uses them in conversations),& is extremely focused on his one or two main topics of interest, usually a cartoon/character, etc. This is newly diagnosed and we have referrals for OT & Social training sessions, neuro/psych eval, etc. He is starting kindergarten soon and we have been advised to create an IEP for him but are waiting to see what he needs. He is such a kind/gentle child, very loving. He has "sensory seeking" issues as well: he touches/smells everything,and hugs and squeezes all the time(which I love but he does it with strangers, makes others uncomfortable at times) He touches peoples' faces when he is talking to them and doesn't understand "personal space" . It is all overwhelming and his father is having trouble accepting it. He says he's "just a kid" and doesnt want to admit the behaviors are as pronounced as they are. I am just trying to learn as much as I can to help him...

4 13

Philo, would love to hear more about this PDD~NOS. My stepson is the same way about having things explained to him "in certain ways" to get him "to understand why some things have to be done." And after Ive explained it, if it still doesnt make sense, he does it ~ his way and it's always wrong and it will fall apart or something; and he gets in trouble at school as well after having things explained; or he will fail a subject or something. He doesnt understand alot of words and what they mean.

1 16

My son struggles with change. We implemented the use of visual aids and that has worked very well. It started with simple things just like getting ready for preschool: took photos of all the steps needed to do this, get out of bed, have breakfast, get dressed, put on shoes, get in car. Just these simple things used to take us a very long time and was extremely stressful. But using a stick on board you can make up story boards of things that are going to happen which helps the child to visually imagine how this is going to work. We progressed to taking photos of all the regular shops we would need to go to starting with getting in car etc. We are now able to take him out shopping for up to 2 hours without using the aids and without too many tantrums. Certainly has made life a whole lot stressful but has been very hard work getting to this stage. We also used a similar method when he had to go to hospital to get grommits put in. I just drew a stick figure storyboard of what was going to happen in hospital and went through this several times a day for about a month prior to the operation. He was very calm through most of the process which did make it much easier to get through for everyone. Prior to this there was no way they would ever of been able to do the operation. I say give all suggestions a go and just see what works for your child as they all react differently to different methods but I am sure you will find your way. Best of luck :)

4 10

If you have a smart phone, go to the app store and look up "going places". It's a free app with 6 social stories for activities we all do on a regular basis. I think you can also upgrade and pay to get more. They also have token board apps, and behavior status apps that track your child's progress on v.p.'s and b.x.'s, all for free. My phone is my boys' #1 motivator for good behavior, and the games I put on it for them are all educational and I didn't have to pay for any of them.

0 19

Laura you said it best! My 4 year old is autistic and I get that same question all the time, "how did you know?" I answer the same way. You have said everything that I feel but am often unable to find the words for. Thank you

1 10

My son was a very typcally developing 14.5 month old who played interactive games with us, was way ahead on the developmental milestone chart, and had over 10 words he used frequently and appropriately. I'm not going to debate vaccines with anyone here because, quite frankly, other than my husband, noone else was there to witness the overnight- yes, I said overnight- regression. We have absolutely no doubts as to what happened to OUR child.
The first thing that I noticed the next morning when I went into his room was that he acted as though he was deaf, and suddenly had a flat affect upon seeing me and his dad. As the day went on, we saw that his eye contact was gone. He lost interest in his toys, he cried constantly, and started throwing up a lot, and refusing to eat most things, but yet was hungry all the time (he became a gastrointestinal mess), and constipation soon followed. He couldn't stand to be touched, and he no longer walked anywhere- he ran, spun, jumped, hopped, flapped, etc- he was like a walking tornado (his entire nervous system was comprimised). He craved water. Not drink, but rather to play in, which was somewhere between great & dangerous. I also noticed that he no longer played appropriately with his toys- he did the typical lining up thing with his cars & trains. And those 10 words were gone. Nine years later, we have yet to hear his voice again.

17
2 0

Leslie, your story breaks my heart. I experienced the same thing with son at the same age as your son. Our stories are very similar.

1 10

I'm so sorry to hear that Jennifer ♥ Hugs to you & yours ♥

6 9

I watched the light in my daughter's eyes go out. That's the best I've ever been able to describe it. I try hard to avoid the vaccine debate, but the change happened overnight for us, too. Hugs, mama.

2 4

The MMR has nothing to do with autism I have two children who both have had the MMR and one has autisum the other doesn't. Children who have autism are born with it. My cousin has autism too and the MMR didn't exsist then.

8 14

I would sooner never hear my own voice again than not hear my child's. I can't imagine it, and don't want to. I pray you hear that sweet voice again.

9 60

my son is 7 and the same things right down to the letter that u have experienced with your child. but there is some hope out there. we were told by experts that he would never be able to feed, dress, play, write, just about anything so be prepared for the worst. but as of today my wonderful son writes his names feed himself even makes his only cereal, dresses himself asked for things. we still have issues but are working through them he starts grade 2 in sept he now his alphabet, numbers to 50 loves to watch movies and can change his own movies most of the time. So god bless and keep your chin up, give your wonderful child lots of love and attention they do thrife on that.

0 5

I dont care what people say regarding autism and vaccines, it has not been 100% proven that autism and vaccines are not linked so I will not believe that it is not a factor. I too had the same thing happen to my son after his vaccine so I am with you as well on this. I feel for all of you and I understand first hand what it is like to have a normal child and then after a vaccination have your child taken from you.There is actually a lot of evidence that points towards vaccinations being dangerous.Some people need to do more research and open there eyes rather than just trust what the government tells them.Why do they think Doctors stopped vaccinating and its now in the hands of nurses instead?hmmmm?No offense people.Im not on here to debate anything. I just dont want to count out anything either and I feel for everyone that is in the same position that I am in. My heart goes out to you all.

0 4

Have any of you checked out Rett's or child disintegrative disorder? I think they both occur about 15 mos.

130 12

Brings tears to my eyes ... prays to all of you (I have a friend with the same story ...she is however very vocal about her experience)

71 2

So sorry reading it. I hope you can cope well and your son's health will improve. Did you hear about what Jenny McCarthy did to help her son? Please do she is sure that it is a treatable condition and her son is fine now. Also, please tell me what kind of vaccination was your son taking right before the symptoms. Was it MMR? I am long time anti vaccination activist.

0 4

This happened to my son, he was developing fine he was really quick a everything, then he had the MMR vaccine, his speech went, he won't make eye contact, he has meltdowns every time we go anywhere new, he hates people saying his name who he dose not no! He is now 4 and has just been diagnosed with autiusm.

16 8

Hi there, it breaks my heart reading these stories. My children are on the spectrum but for them - it didn't seem to correlate with vaccines. I did speak to my naturapath about it though and she said that they believe it has something to do with the body's flora. she explained that, whilst perhaps not the cause of ASD: antibiotics, vaccines ect can serve as a catalyst of sorts - pushing the body's immune system over the edge. it is such a sensitive topic and i don't know enough about it to say much more than that. I wish you Mummies the best!

0 0

I am deeply taken aback by what you have shared. It literally left me in tears. How difficult it must be for you. I hope that things have moved on a bit better since you wrote this three years ago. My heart goes out to you. I'm sure that you are good mum, but you need a lot of support, and I hope that you are getting it. Christine

2 0

We had the same experience after the MMR shot. No one believed us.

Profile Picture
1 1

ALL autistic children are unique in their own ways. There is no typical behavior of an autistic child. It's hard to pin point anything because the spectrum is so large. However, here a few things to look for before considering getting your child checked out.

1. Developmental delays including walking, potty training, speech or no talking at all.
2. No eye contact or staring at nothing - seems like they are not listening to you.
3. Dislike being held or even touched.
4. Echolalia - speaking but only repeating what is heard. Maybe said over and over and over. Reciting favorite movie scenes. Their voice may be high pitched and may be almost like singing.
5. Flapping or stimming especially when upset or excited. This can be moving arms, rubbing hands or fingers together, rubbiing certain items because of the texture like hair or wall. Banging head. Rocking.
6. Visually fixating on something like turning of wheels or dripping of water.
7. Dislike loud sounds like firecrakers and being in crowds. May hold ears. May yell to not hear sounds.

My son learned to read at age two. He said the words even if he didn't understand what they meant. However he HATES math. Even with the easiest of addition problems he has trouble. Some autistic children may have something that they are very good at such as reading, math, maps, anything that they may be interested in.

Please know I am not an expert. I am just a parent of a child that has been diagnosed being on the autistic spectrum. If you think that you may have a child that is autistic my suggestion is to start with the public school special education department. They should be trained to diagnosed and it won't cost you anything. If you want a second opinion then go to a specialist. I would suggest not going to your pediatrician unless they are trained to diagnose for autism. My original pediatrician just said it was due to birth order since my older son was talking for him.

16
Profile Picture
1 0

Ooh! How old is your son now? My son also started ready suuuuuper early (19 months) and we just don't know what to do to cultivate that 'talent.'

Profile Picture
1 0

started *reading* - - oops.

Profile Picture
1 1

He's 9 now. He's really good at spelling and reading, but is having to work his way into comprehension. When we first found out he could read we show others his talent and praise him. We found out by using closed captioning on the television. With three small kids my dh and I would put the closed caption on for us. One time we muted for the phone whild Dora the explorer was on and he continued to read it while it was muted. He also does not write very well. We have tried different tools, but they don't seem to work. He is allowed to take spelling tests on a Alphasmart which is a life saver. They have worked very well with him in the public school system. Not sure how things will work this year because he will be in 4th grade and they stucture the special ed program differently. Wish us luck.

Profile Picture
0 17

I agree with everything you say, but would like to add one thing. Number 3 on your list it is, some children with autism actually like to be held or touched and are so happy!!!

Profile Picture
1 1

Gabriela I agree with you 100%. My son loves hugs and kisses and always looks you in the eye. I was just trying to list "typical" issues that might warrant a diagnosis. He was so much all over the spectrum that he has a little bit of the characteristics of autism, Aspbergers (sp) and PDD. Every child is unique. Autism is so big. The main thing we have to do is to love our children and do what ever is necessary to help them in their schooling and everyday lives. The best thing too is that we are not alone. There are so many people out there that are going through similar situations and can help when we feel a little overwhelmed.

Profile Picture
21 15

Jana, I suggest reading Autism Solutions by Ricki G. Robinson. I just heard her speak at a conference called Autism and Anxiety : The perfect Storm. In her book she very clearly lays out Autism and what an autistic brain looks like and how kids on the spectrum develop, function compared to a" normal" child. She mentioned at the conference how difficult comprehesion can be for autistic children and the writing ability can be significantly delayed. Dr. Robinson has spent 20 years researching autism and some of the things she lays out in her book are fasinating and help me termendously as a mom of an autistic child to understand him better.

Profile Picture
2 14

Jana that was right on information I would like to add a few points #1 Parents, please if you are thinking something isnt quit right with your child then there probably is something going on dont wait to long to check things out the youger the child is the more help she will probably receive. Also according to my children behaviorest it easier to teach a child something new instead of having to un-teach something she may have learned already. #2 I do agree Jana that the Pediatricine probably will just blow you off but Dont Stop there remember you are you childs Advocate and at this time the only one she may have. I to like most parents that find themselfs in this situation doubted myself over and over again. When I would try to talk to my friend and people about my concerns I got the typical responses of All childern learn at different ages or act certain ways stop worrying or something like that and of coarse there I would go again doubting. I even had my twins Therapest tell me she did not think they had Autism and her next vist she brought her official psychology book and we looked up the signs and of coarse they did have quit a few of them but not all and she still said she diddnt think they had it. I let the feelings slip into the back of my mind, and that wasnt easy, until my twins were almost 4 years old and one of their GI specialest simply stated Linda do you think maybe Sarah has Autism and at that time my heart fell right into my stomach I just started to cry and at that moment I new for sure but all i could think about was those few years i had waisted......Early intervention is the best. #3 sometimes the Regional Center will be your best place to start depending on their age. Some schools wont want to do any thing until the children are old enough for Pre School. #4 Fight, Fight, Fight for your child and Trust your instincts because they are almost allways correct. #5 And You Are Not Alone even though it feels that way there is Help available for your child and family. Good Luck.

Profile Picture
2 61

My son at 12 months went backwards went from almost potty trained to wears pullups til he was almost 4, talking to not even saying hi or bye mama or dada he was also almost walking on his own at ten months then didn't start til he was 18 months. I for a long time blamed it on the MMR BOOSTER cause that's when it all seemed to go down hill. so as a mom knowing that something wasn't right I tried many times to have him tested no-one would test him. they would tell me you don't easy him labeled blah blah blah. so I did my own reading and research to explaining why he did the things he did. Jana teague my son fits into all of those categories. at the age of 7 we took in 2 cats he not realizing what the the consequents he stuck a cat in a garbage bag and hid it. when I heard a weird noise I then found the cat in the bag (still alive and fine) I freaked out took him to the Dr they ended up telling me he was or is ADD that to me is kind of a joke that seems to be the diagnosis around here. my son will be 10 soon, is and will fixate on 1thing, he hoards papers boxes from presents, runs in a circle in my livingroom he lives to build thing and is above avg. in math loves to read but doesn't always understand what he read, and still has melt downs

Profile Picture
2 61

SORRY WASN'T FINISHED WRITING...they tell me that my son is an excellent student he's a pleasant to have in class and keeps everyone in line lol but doesn't do his work lol. so up til now I've been able to make do but if anyone has any suggestions for me ill take them

Profile Picture
2 61

sorry. my phone is doing weird things...He has many more odd things that he does but to many to list . Ty for reading my posts

Profile Picture
22 0

Same here, I'm afraid. My twins were fine until the 18 month vaccinations. They ran a 104 degree fever for a week within HOURS of the shot. When the fever finally broke they had regressed developmentally so far it was heart breaking. To see a child who used to stand and walk only now roll around like a baby. We were lucky. It took 6 months of therapy but they came back to us. You can bet your butt I'm not vaccinating my two! They are the 1% that can't handle vaccinations. They still have leaky gut at 5 yrs old. Until their digestive and immune systems are running correctly I wouldn't even consider a vaccine. Those who say vaccines don't hurt kids, just don't know a kid yet who's been hurt.

Profile Picture
2 19

Both my younger children were right on mark for behavior,and intelligence until about 16 to 18 month vaccinations.Almost overnight both children hand flapped, toe walked, became obsessed with order and repetition. Now at ages 10 and 5 they still both have ASD diagnosi but attend public school with aid of speech and emotional therapy. The youngest is on a modified or slowed vaccination schedule because of low weight and reactions to vaccinations. I am a huge advocate for not combining shots and waiting until children are healthy and hardy enough to handle the lowered immunity that occurs . Autism and ASD seem to be rampant now everywhere I read and see.As a Mother I have concluded from my situation that due to genetic predispositions(my son's DNA is modified )and dietary changes over the last 30 years that immune systems are much more fragile then proven by FDA tests. Common sense and Mother's intuition value much higher in children's care than social expectation.

15
Profile Picture
1 25

Vaccinations have nothing to do with it. Good grief.

Profile Picture
2 24

Please cut parents some slack. She also mentioned genetic disposition, and not specific vaccines. Could it possibly be a combination of factors? M The research done is very reassuring to the contrary, but we should still be open minded to others opinions and choices, and respond in a kind mannor.

Profile Picture
0 30

In your opinion. It all comes back to what you believe causes Autism. Personally I believe it is all about toxic load, and vaccines are pretty big on this scale. Once the gut gets unbalanced it affects everything. Lots and lots of autism mums are now following GAPS (Gut & Psychology Syndrome) nutritional protocol to address this, including me. The book explains a lot or www.gaps.me

Profile Picture
0 24

I definitely like the IDEA of spreading the vaccinations out, whether or not THAT is what is causing Autism. I think the children need most of the vaccinations, just not ALL at once! We thought my child had Autism and kept wanting him tested. When he was in 1st grade, the teachers all wanted him tested for ADHD. I had ALL the tests done and we paid a LOT out of pocket. We now know that our son has ADD. He takes adderall and does just fine on a very low dose. It is not for everyone, either. I like your post, because my son was preemie and has ALWAYS been low weight, although JUST in the healthy area. As far as genetics, his father has FINALLY admitted HE has ADD, was tested, and he takes adderall too and it works for him too!

Profile Picture
6 21

There is no certain, scientific link to vaccines and Autism. A friend of my has two sons who are BOTH on the spectrum and she put a modified vaccination schedule in place way before they even been diagnosed. I also work in the behavioral support field with children on the spectrum. The reason you're hearing more and more about it lately is because it's the newest "thing" in child development. Remember 10-15 years ago when EVERY child had ADHD?? The more research done in a certain field, the more prevelant it's going to be in the news.

Profile Picture
0 9

I totally believe that these toxic immunizations have something to do with the increase in autism diagnosis. I have two sons and I refused to have them vaccinated the way the doctor recommended. I also asked for the combination shots to be separated into single doses. I love cats and I play with them every time I can. My good friend likes cats too but she can't play with the because of severe allergies. So do I tell her that cat has nothing to do with her swelling and itching...NO! Her body make causes her to have a reaction. I think some people have reaction to the immunizations and it manifests as autism. I also believe the food we eat has something to do with it. Our food is full of chemicals and that is never good for your body.

Profile Picture
11 14

Then explain why it's more prevalent in boys then girls...same vaccines are given???

Profile Picture
2 9

MMR and chicken pox vaccines are cultivated on aborted fetal tissue. It has just been since the vaccines were made this way that we have seen the upswing in Autism. The vaccine maker: Merck, will tell you that this is how they are made, only they do not advertise it (who would?). I don't think that the vaccines cause Autism in all kids. I think when a baby is young and the DNA is young, it is easily changable. I also think that an individual may be prone to 'suggestion' from the minute amount of DNA that might be in the vaccine. Please read and feel free to research this further. I am not opposed to vaccines, just the ones made in this manner...for moral, ethical and health reasons, this is not acceptable. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/10/this-shocking-fact-is-never-disclosed-on-any-vaccine-informed-consent-form.aspx

Profile Picture
21 15

I believe vaccinations have a lot to do with autism. My middle son developed normall until his 18 months vaccinations. That is when the typical signs started appearing. Most peditrician don't vaccinate the way they did in the mid 90's. Some children have a sensitivity to the mercury levels in the vaccinations and can still have adverse reactions which lead the eventual diagnosis of autism. My other children never recieived their dosage on vaccination like my austic son did. It was more spread out. Diet has been a huge benefit for my autisic son. He is on a gluteen free and caisen free diet and has been for 6 years and has made tremdous gains emotionally and academically. He is thirteen now is only 6 months behind his peers in his education.

Profile Picture
0 0

You have to remember that one point the smartest humans on earth also swore the Earth was flat. And they ended up being wrong. And what about all these prescription drugs that doctors and researchers swear are safe, only to be recalled when they start harming people? While I don't know WHAT causes autism, I would never rule out vaccinations since they are full of elements that are not natural to the body. We do the delayed shot schedule just as a precaution especially since my husband's nephew has autism.

Profile Picture
0 0

By the way, my last comment was aimed at Sue not the original poster. :)

Profile Picture
2 4

I'm a mother with a child with autism and Autism has nothing to do with Vaccines and has nothing to do with what you eat either. Autism runs in my family and although it's not a genetic condition the chances of having an autstic child is higher if you do. Autism is caused by a extra chromosome in the DNA which effects the social side of the brain

Profile Picture
130 12

Here is a question... that I can never get an answer to ...maybe you know: lets say you take a group of parents who do NOT vac and compare the number of Autistic kid they have...... to a group of parents who do vac and the number of autistic kids they got ...just to see if it plays out even or if one group have a higher % than the other .... the thing is; I have yet to find one mum of an autistic child who never vaccinated, but I certainly know a lot of mums with autistic kids who did get the shots ..... and of all the mums that I know who do not vac ...I have yet to hear of a non vac child being sick with any of the dreaded illness...in fact most the kids / mums I know where the kids are always sick, are the ones in school with all the vaccines ...still getting the virus but ''it's just a different strength'' ...however I would still love to see how these two suggested test groups would match up..... but I have come up empty handed for an answer so fare ... does anyone know? I can't even find mums of none vacs with autism ...maybe im looking in all the wrong places ?

Profile Picture
1 68

brain mapping may change for many reasons..i've been reading a lot about genetic factors, tramatic births, diet and environmental factors..we are all still searching for answers..hopefully we can all find he best advocates for our children, starting with ourselves..

16 28

Here are links to some websites that give some red flags that they say would warrant a trip see the pediatrician.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/learn-signs
http://www.signsofautism.com/
http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/autism-symptoms

I like WebMd because they tend to be more detailed when explaining different diseases and disorders.

12
1 8

I just have to say how it breaks my heart how people respond to other people's posts. I am an RN I uderstand what the research says at the same time I believe it is important to listen to a family's story. Have compassion! We don't need to attack eachother, we are here to support eachother. There are many causes and no cause effects everyone it comes in contact with, that is true of ever medical condition. Regardless of what I say to follow please don't attack me how does that benefit anyone?
I have 5 children & realize they are are all unique so when one out of them didn't walk until 18 months & was delayed in talking I just thought that was just his way. I am not sure what age we noticed the OCD but again I just thought that was the normal toddler security issues. In preschool the teacher had to keep him right next to her all the time as he wasn't easy to teach. Kindergarten was the same & they recommend retention. We thought he was a late bloomer & would eventually click & catch up. In 1st grade was when I figured out what we were dealing with. He no longer could cope wearing socks or underwear, he chewed wholes in the neck of his shirts & sleaves, he became increasingly agoraphobic, & his OCD began to be the center of our families attention. One day my teenage daughter pointed out to me at the play ground, "Mom look at Josh, do you see how different he is from all the other children?" He was playing alone, flapping around in circles in his on world. I began to realize his "temper tantrum" where really panic attacks. It is like he is locked inside, oblivious to the world around him.
At that point I took him into the pediatrician & she gave him liquid Prosac for his OCD. A few days on that & he was more hyperactive then he already was. We stopped it & took him back. Because I got so frustrated with his Ped & just decided to put my energy in academically. I went to the computer & there is where I figured out what I was dealing with. It is not easy to find specialist for these kids so when people say "take him to a doctor to have him diagnosed not the computer" I disagree. If it was cancer then yes because only a doctor can treat it but these are behavioral issues and because he is now over 5 there are limited resources for him. The school refused an IEP, I guess they often do in 1st grade. It wasn't until 2nd grade that we finally got him in an IEP & now for 3rd grade, starting next week, he will no longer be mainstreamed, except for math. At every step it is such a challenge to decide what they best thing is for him. It has been a long, complicated road! I have switched Pediatricians & I will be starting him in Occupational therepy next week as well to try & minimize his sensory integration issues. The school was a miss because he is such a sweet boy & they said most kids like him have impulse challenges & can be aggressive. He is actually cuddly & wants his back rubbed 24/7. He sometimes makes eye contact. They like the term "Nonverbal learning disorder" best but many specialist argue that NVLD is Aspergers. This is all why it is a SPECTRUM disorder, every child is different. Obviously the sooner you know what you are dealing with the better but who needs a lable? The treatment plan for every child is different because we are addressing the symptoms. This is our story. Prayers for every family that is touched by Autism.

11
8 39

Amanda, I very much agree with you and get where you are coming from. We struggled with whether or not to "label" our son too. It wasn't until I realized all the services he was missing out on by not having the label that I finally opted to have the diagnosis made formal.

4 14

No child with Autism is the same. That said, some of the associated symptoms are hand flapping, toe walking, fascination with order (placing objects like shoes or cars in lines), delayed speech, aversion to noise and certain textures, etc. The list goes on and on. Like I said, no child with Autism is the same.

My son was diagnosed with Sensory Processing/Integration Disorder when he was about 3 years old, about 70 percent of Autistic children have SPD. Now, at 7, he has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome with obsessive compulsive behavior. He has no problems with fine or large motor skills but can be kind of clumsy and uncoordinated because he has weak core strength. And, he has always been ahead of the learning curve academically--he started reading at 2 and was able to do simple math by 3. For the most part, he makes eye-contact unless his diet is off. He attends occupational therapy because he had a gag reflex when he was younger which caused him to only eat about 5 items, now he eats more foods than I can count but refuses to eat off of metal silverware because others have used it.

If you are concerned, speak with your doctor. You are your child's best advocate. Deep down inside I was comfortable with the SPD diagnosis because it's treated the same as Autism. I could feel the room cave in when his developmental psychologist explained he diagnosis this past April. Like one of the other moms said, I, too, send out big hugs and lots of love to mom and dads of children on the spectrum. If Autism is the case, you will handle it for the sake of your child. Besides, they are really not that different than typical children.

11
0 17

I strongly agree with everything u said

33 20

The biggest thing is don't let the dr's tell you your child can't be Aspergers if he or she has learning difficulties. My oldest son was so on the mark for all milestones talking, walking, even was counting to 10 at 3 and knew exactly what he was counting not just saying the numbers. However he started pre school as it was then " he is now 23" and it all went wrong up till then it was behaviour from about 2. Severe night terrors, late to toilet train must admitt, and a bed wetter, he hated being touched unless it was on his terms, would take to a complete stranger yet wouldn't talk or let someone in his own family touch him. Definitely don't invade his personal space and when he got older didn't understand that sports changed with seasons. Took weeks to get him to change from say Soccer to Cricket. He was different but if he loved someone he was so devoted. He hated change to the extreme and that meant rules too. He was fairly extreme with his autism yet because he was borderline intellectually disabled they didn't want to diagnose the aspergers back then. I am hoping it has changed as my youngest son is not so obvious with his aspergers but it's still there in other ways and is also slightly challenged at school no where near as bad but certainly not advanced like most expect aspergers children to be.

0 1

Shelly~ I can totally relate. Thanks

1 10

The first thing I would like to point out is that no two autistic children are the same. Also, there is early onset autism (before two years of age) and late onset (where a child meets most milestones on time and seems to be developing normally until a marked regression of skills).

So in early onset, there will be a marked delay in several milestones, particularly in speech. The child may avoid eye contact and resist being held. The child may develop an irregular gait (toe walking, walking on insteps, or never relinquishing a "high guard"). Autistic children often fixate on objects, exploring every aspect of the object. Most autistic children will self stimulate (i.e. - rocking back and forth, visual stimulation by waving their hand in front of their face, tapping, hitting themselves, and repetitive auditory stimulation). Often times, they appear to be in their own world, oblivious to their environment.

Autistic children are either hypo-responsive or hyper-responsive. Either they crave external stimuli or they resist it. Bright lights on a business marque can be a fixation point for a child and either cause them to zone out, or have the opposite effect where the flashing lights cause the child to spin off like a top. Some children will resist being held, while others will want to be held tight. Children who crave deep pressure may hit themselves and hit others in an attempt to get that deep pressure that they crave. So understand that the negative behaviors are often rooted in the child's needs.

Speech delays can sometimes be tricky to catch, especially in a child who developed normally and then showed a marked regression. Also, many children exhibit echolalia, which is simply where the child will repeat a word or short phrase that he or she hears.

There are usually dietary intolerances in autistic children. Many end up having to go to a gluten and casein-free diet. Diet can usually have a positive impact on behavior.

I guess I should have prefaced this with my experience with autistic children. I am an occupational therapy assistant who works with autistic children in the home setting. Autism is my diagnosis of choice.

I do believe that vaccines can cause, worsen, or awaken autistic characteristics in children. There was scientific evidence to prove this, but the scientist that proposed this has since withdrawn his statement. But I believe my parents of autistic kids, and because of their advice, I am waiting to give my son any live vaccinations until I believe his system is mature enough to handle it. Please understand, that you DO have the right to refuse vaccinations for your child. I encourage you to make an informed decision on this and do your own research.

9
0 5

No such thing as an autistic child................ Just a child with autism. I do wish people would get it right !!

7
8 14

:0)

3 24

semantics.. SO not a big deal.. we're just moms trying to love our children.. not pick on typos or phrasing.. m'kay?

1 0

Number One: Vaccines have never ONCE been proven to be ANY cause of autism. You can 'believe' everything you want to believe (Scientologists reaaaaaally believe that 75 million years ago, Xenu brought people to Earth with some hydrogen bomb explosion thingee.) Hey! Can't *not* prove it, can you???

Number Two: my son has autism. We knew something was awry at age 4 months. He started gagging on anything and everything. Feeding him solids didn't even begin until age 14 months, and it's always been a battle. This is not to say that every child with autism will have anything like this problem, but there's just a lot of quirks that don't add up. Sensory Integration Disorder is very common in children with autism.

Number Three: I try to explain to people what to look for by giving them the true definition of autism: lack of social communication. Neurotypical kids will say, "Mommy! Want juice!" at age 2 or so. Most kids with autism really don't have that inherent ability to call for mommy, use the word 'want' , etc. It seems like they're in a bit of a fog, or in their own world.... They're NOT. They just don't express things using language the way a normal child will. THEY CAN LEARN HOW, though. Through therapy, my son has made the most ENORMOUS strides in the last six months.

Number Four: I took my son to two different pediatricians on two different occasions so they could see for themselves his symptoms. Both of these doctors were on the older side (over 50) and just said to "enjoy the adventure that is Jack." (Swear, those were the exact words.) We went in another day because Jack was sick, and saw the youngest pediatrician in the group. After the ear infection diagnosis was made, he looked at me and said, "Have you ever had him screened for autism?" This young doctor knew EXACTLY what was going on. We got into the Marcus Autism Center two months later for an evaluation with psychologists and developmental pediatricians and the rest has been history. THERAPY. A GOOD SPECIAL-NEEDS PRESCHOOL. So many 'hands-on-deck.' It is AMAZING what can be done with early intervention.

NUMBER FIVE: That gluten-free diet thing is a bunch of crap for 99% of kids with autism. Go ahead... ask any autism specialist doctor. (And btw, they'll say the same thing about the vaccines causing it.)

5
8 14

Brilliantly written...thank you!

36 25

Agreed. People are very misinformed about the vaccinations since the doctor originally posted false information several years ago. Current findings show the only way a child can "get" Autism from a vaccination is from having a severe form of a genetic metabolic disorder because both children and adults are unable to filter the toxins from their bodies. They also must avoid a long list of medications including sulfa drugs and Nitrous Oxide (which can lead to death). This disorder is heraditary and once one child has it, there is a 1 in 4 chance of the next having it. Those are good odds for postponing vaccinations until the child is tested if you already have one. Vaccinations are lifesavers and should only be avoided for medical necessity, not from fear. http://www.renewashoe.com/medical/ (watch the first 2 videos for more information).

10 16

Right. Some children are already predisposed and the vaccines trigger or worsen the illness. These children cannot filter out the toxins like others. Just because it hasn't been proven that vaccines are linked, doesn't mean that aren't for some families. I think that saying these suffering families are like scientologists is pretty cruel. Just because you don't believe they played a role in your son's symptoms doesn't mean they didn't play a role in someone else's.

61 20

Becky, agreed, brilliantly written and thank you for speaking virtually for me, another mom of a gorgeous child on the spectrum...Add a comment

83 10

It's incredibly insensitive to openly criticize a religion, to which you have no idea if any moms subscribe, first of all. Second, the vaccination debate is a difficult one. My son was late on most of his vaccinations because of shortages. He has never had the flu, obviously didn't develop polio or the measles, and the only time he's ever been sick is when he caught a cold from a friend and developed a sinus infection. Vaccinations were a wonderful idea, but in 2012, unless you are frequenting some underdeveloped country where Malaria is rampant, we have little to fear of life-threatening diseases, for which we have treatment anyway. Secondly, you can hardly hope to understand the cause for something as complex and subjective as the autism spectrum. There are more than likely a combination of factors contributing to it. Third, it is a FACT that diet and lifestyle are fundamental treatments for a multitude of disorders and can dramtically change a person's condition for the better. What you put in, or keep out, of your body is the second-most important determinant of your health, next to genetics. Lastly, it's a shame that people today are so dependent on Western medicine. Doctors do not know everything. You have to use your own judgement and some serious research to develop an adequate opinion. Looking at a view unreliable sources and talking to a handful of doctors cannot possible give you any idea of the complexity of a syndrome that still perplexes us. Don't judge others just because they had a different experience than you. For them, the correlation between vaccines and their child's developmental difficulties may have proved some causation. It's called a spectrum for a reason.

5 8

people are asking signs of autism, not what causes it! however, the women on here getting upset at moms suggesting it could be caused by vaccinations-LAY OFF THEM. i work in an therapy office with children. some moms believe it was vaccines that did it in the 90s. after their stories-am i going to tell them-no your wrong!hell no! (its easier to do on a computer isnt it ladies!!, if you want to call yourself that)
be supportive of your sister moms out there!!
for all you moms going through this, this is obviously not the place to get support. i would google local places, talk to your kids doctor, or even therapists for local support groups!! by the way, for those of you on the east coast... google surfers for autism!!! its an incredible event and changed my life over the summer!!!

5
6 21

Believing that vaccines cause Autism and forcin your opinions on other who feel differently are two separate things. You said you work in a therapy office; in what position? MY job is as part of a wraparound team, mostly dealing with children and young adults on the spectrum. I can tell you point blank that there is no definitive, scientifically backed research supporting the idea that vaccines cause Autism or other spectrum disorders. Personally, I can tell you that a family I currently work with has two children, BOTH of whom are on the spectrum, BOTH of whom had extremely modified vaccine schedules in which neither received more than one vaccine per visit and the parents absolutely REFUSED the MMR vaccine at 1 year (which, most will tell you, is the vaccine under the most fire because of the mercury content). It obviously wasn't the vaccines that caused their ASD. More and more, people are finding that Autism is almost certain to be caused by genetics. This family particularly had a long history of mental health issues in their family tree. It's pretty antagonistic to call people out by insulting women on here when you're calling them out for supposedly the same thing. And personally, after my experience IN the field, I'd MUCH rather my son be diagnose with ASD than die from something a vaccine could prevent. Having a child with Autism is much better than not having your child at all.

5 8

@?I said have more compassion:) It's actually a lot different than the women on here Insulting some others for their beliefs.... To the honest with you, I skimmed over your response because you sound so negative! Be a support for others was my message, sorry if I wasn't more clear:)

4 9

sooo true jamie.agree with everything you said.i have 3 sons all of which had all vaccines yet only my middle son has high functioning autism.i never want to get into arguements over this as there are so many opinions but what you said in your comment about a child dying from something a vaccine could have prevented is by biggest worry with the way everyone is so quick to point the finger at vaccines i think we are at real risk of missing the whole point of why the vaccines are out there...to protect our children from potentially life-threating illnesses and diseases!!!

3 2

For gods sake people!! I came on here to look for SIGNS of Autism etc and keep coming across ranting barrages from people ( like above)having a go at people for mentioning why they think their children are suffering, which is part of their personal story, and saying "my jobs better than yours!!!) Everyone tells their story in their own way and if you insist on having a go at anyone for something that they have said that is not nasty/rude/ offensive and is their own feelings then YOU are the people that need to go on another site and obviously get rid of some of that aggression you clearly have. This is for people to share their hearts and thoughts with, not for abusing people you don't agree with. EVERYONE has a different story, let them tell it and keep quitet!1 If you cannot saying anything nice then don't say anything at all.

5 8

As soon as I read, what positon are you, I am ......I was over it, the story right below this comment thread is ALL TO COMMON:

10 16

Just because one family delayed vaccinations and still got autism (but still vaccinated) or some kids get them and don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't related in other cases. I vaccinated my 2 kids and they are fine, but that doesn't give me the right to say that vaccines don't play a role in others' autism behavior. You can't tell a parent that watches the light go out in their child's eyes overnight that they are wrong and crazy. My heart breaks for these families. I think some kids are predisposed to these things by genetic factors or otherwise, and vaccines and diet can trigger the illness. I just don't see how someone can say it isn't related when they don't know the family at all. This is for people to post their experiences with autism, there is no need for others to come and attack their beliefs or experiences. Be nice people.

5 8

Some of these women are so rude and inconsiderate for what the mothers are going through particularly on this thread. And name calling... it is pretty pathetic and immature! I surround myself with happy people and that's why I usually stay off of these web sites because so many women come on here just to think they know everything......

1 29

my 2 year old is autistic,I constantly have people telling me that lots of children have violent tantrums,don't listen,don't talk,are naughty,loud etc however they've not been with him since the day he was born and they don't live with him,as a parent you know when something is not right

4
126 28

Tanya, I also have a 2 year old son and I soon will be getting him to see a developmental specialist. I do relate to ppl telling me that ohh he will grow out of it or I know a child that is similar. I am his mother and I am also his voice b/c he doesnt talk. I know when there is something not right its a mothers intuition right?

33 20

My son only plays well in small groups or preferably one on one. He doesn't deal with change well and if he doesn't like someone such as recently we just had to change school as he got a new teacher this year. This teacher didn't seem to understand him and he couldn't cope with her either. Huge conflict of personalities and it meant constant anxiety attacks. He becomes obsessed with something like at the moment it is Beyblades and I mean obsessed. He has to watch the show, play with them and collect them. Everyone else has to be willing to talk about them. He doesn't know when to stop when doing something he will sometimes carry it too far and then get into trouble not understanding why. He becomes so absorbed in some things that he tunes out everyone and pretty much everything.
doesn't like to be touched unless he wants to be touched and then only by those he feels very comfortable with. He must have his own personal space.

4
33 20

I forgot he also has like an eating disorder he eats but his food can't touch each other and like chicken nuggets they can't be a strange shape or have a piece missing or be 2 joined together. He won't eat them he would really rather starve.He won't eat most meat only chicken nuggets, my rissoles and sausages we worked out that for the most part it is the texture of meat. Also his food can't touch the sauce or his rissoles his vegetables or sausages etc. If they do he won't eat them it is like they are contaminated. He will become hysterical. We are just used to it now and deal with it but it is a real problem if you go out can't go to restaurants etc.

1 16

I feel for you on this and am very glad to hear that there are other people out there with this same problem. My son is the same with food and haven't yet put our finger on how to deal with it. He mostly only eats nutella sandwhiches, apples and yoghurt with the odd sausage as his only meat. French fries are ok as long as they don't have any blemishes on them, bananas can't have any bruises etc, tomato sauce on the side but not touching the food. Have just got him also eating Creamed rice. Doctors can't do anything in terms of additional help as he is "not failing to thrive" so this means all his nutrition levels appear to be normal at this stage. We have tried lots and lots of different ways to get him to eat other foods but he would also rather starve & go without so doctors have now decided for time being to just let him have what he wants as he eats those few things very well. My son is now nearly 5 and was diagnosed with moderate autism. There is I believe a psychological block about food and it was described to me as him thinking he is eating the equivalent of broken glass with certain foods. He wants to eat it, will hold it (sometimes), help me prepare it and everything, then gets it to his mouth and can't actually bring himself to put it in. Very frustrating for him too especially when watching other kids eating these other foods. Trying to find the right type of help with this is very difficult as it doesn't fit in the nutrition or dietician category. His child psychologist that he is under is totally useless and keeps telling me he will "grow out of it". Well he hasn't and has in fact gotten worse as he gets older. I am quite scared about the implications of long term nutrition problems. Have looked at vitamin supplements but then really hard to get him to take it. We have done food diaries and it appears he prefers mostly white foods which are usually in the carbohydrate range, and dry over moist foods. It was suggested to me to do small slow gradual changes within the food groups he will eat. So if anyone has any other suggestions about this, please let me know :)

24 12

Eating issues are a very delicate matter to deal with...So with that said, I was wondering if you have considered psychiatric medication for your child(ren). If eating issues aren't "handled properly" by someone who understands spectrum children then your child can develop an eating disorder later down the road. I've heard many parents talk about this happening to their children. Adele you appear to have described a lot of sensory issues with your child but it's hard to determine with such limited information. You might want to consider asking a psychiatrist for a medication to target sensory issues for your child and see if that changes any of his/her eating habits. Also, I'm wondering if you might consider getting an referral for a occupational therapist. OT's can target food issues with children and find out the cause for your child's hesitation toward eating specific food groups. For instance, eating certain meats is very difficult for some children to palate...causing them to choke. OT's can work on a whole array of issues to help solve this problem alone. You are right to trust your judgement because a mother's intuition is usually accurate. There is a great counselor in the Naperville area named Brian King. He is on the spectrum himself so he can give great insight into reasons why your child is having difficulty if nobody else can help! Take care and keep advocating for your child. :)

1 16

Thank you for your advice. I am in NZ so things are done a bit differently here but I will pass your suggestions onto my GP and see how this fits into how things are done here :)

10 8

I feel for you all! Trust me, I know EXACTLY the frustration that you all feel about the eating. My son has always had issues with eating. He was born with acid reflux and therefore needed to have his formula thickened. His pediatrician said that most babies who were born with acid reflux tend to outgrow it by the time they start to eat solid foods. Not my son! When he was 5 months old I started him on solids. Things like scrambled eggs he would literally hold his mouth open and gag and then rake the eggs out of his mouth. He would only eat foods of one texture. Whenever foods that had mulitple textures were introduced he would gag and vomit. He couldn't and wouldn't even touch some foods without vomiting. Even the smells of things not only foods, made him gag and vomit. In preschool, every time they finger-painted he would gag and vomit. He had to have his tonsils and adenoids taken out not once but twice before he was even 5 years old. The doctors thought maybe because of his severe acid reflux that maybe it cause them to be a problem. He would not eat any kind of meat, pasta, or potatoes. A therapist working with him from an INTOT program said he exhibited signs of an oral aversion to food textures. I had no clue what that meant or implied. The therapist said that he needed to have his mouth desensitized and to keep giving him many different kinds of foods. As he grew up, he became very defiant in what he would eat and wouldn't eat. My pediatrician said for the most part he was healthy and to not fight so much about it for now and referred us to an OT. It wasn't until we went to an OT and she said he exhibits most of the signs of sensory processing disorder! I read up on it and it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! All of the oral aversions and not touching or smelling things without gagging and vomiting among other things. He has been seeing an OT for the last 3 years and has come a long way. He would ONLY eat.....chips(nothing spicy/plain is the best), crackers( mostly cheez its), cheese,(sliced Kraft only), goldfish crackers, graham crackers, juices, honey nut cheerios, NO milk,NO meat, NO fruits, and No veggies, and that's about it. Anything that has multiple textures he wouldn't do. NO dipping and NO touching of foods either. He is a little better about the foods touching now but still doesn't dip. NOW, he still eats all that stuff but also eats peanut butter sandwiches, apples, hamburgers, french fries, carrots, many different cheeses not just sliced, and his new favorite mac and cheese and even chicken strips just to name some of the new stuff. It hasn't been easy but we work with his OT on ways to try new foods and play with foods so it makes it fun and easy. I hope that you can find an OT to work with you and your son. My son's OT has been so wonderful! Good luck! =)

Profile Picture
8 14

Oh PLEASE stop blaming vaccinations for autism! If that were the case there would be many more children on the spectrum. Please be realistic and protect all of our children from deadly diseases!!!

4
Profile Picture
0 0

Because of the ignorant belief that vaccinations are linked to autism (which, as everyone should know by now, has been proven completely false, and the British doctor who published the garbage has lost his license), my five week old contracted pertussis (Whooping cough), was hospitalized for three days, then spent the next three months coughing so violently he would almost stop breathing. Not only are misguided parents endangering their own children, they are endangering everyone around them, including the newborns who are too young to be immunized. If you are going to be a parent, be smart enough to read real medical research and ask true medical professionals. If you don't believe them, then you go sit by the bedside of a newborn fighting to breathe because someone was too stupid to vaccinate their own children.

Profile Picture
3 32

Hear Hear!!!

Profile Picture
2 12

There is no one true cause of ASD, but after attending a seminar by Australia's leading psychologist on the subject (Tony Attwood) he inferred that the increase in numbers of reported cases is a combination of things such as; correct diagnosis and more research on the problem, women are older when having their children and an increase in immigration ( no migrants aren't the cause but the massive change in climate and culture seems to be contributing factors) Hate to point out the obvious but mass refusal to vaccinate will only cause an increase in childhood diseases and deaths like what we had 100 + years ago. ASD isn't an easy thing to live with but I imagine it is easier than dealing with infant deaths. If you think your child is not up to par then consult a specialist not a web site, they can direct you in the right direction.If its not ASD it may be something else. No matter what the case may be behavior management is most likely the key, it really sucks, it is extremely frustrating but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If I can manage on my own I think most people can, there is nothing special about my parenting or coping skills.

Profile Picture
0 10

I would agree to see a specialist. My son was diagnosed with autism this last year and he just turned 8. He's very articulate, very social and average or above average on academics. He's a little behind in fine motor skills and social skills. He was fine all through preschool, for the most part. We figured the melt downs were "normal". Until he got to kindergarten, where he had to be escorted from class because he was so disruptive, and it would lead to *huge* meltdowns. We wen through several doctors to find a diagnosis - and a good part of it was finding out what it *wasn't*, such as ADD. Finally, we were able to see our local Children's Hospital which has an autism department. They looked at his school records, interviewed us, his teachers and him...and diagnosed him with autism. Fortunately, he functions well within the autism, "high" on the spectrum. They sited several things that lead to that diagnosis (as opposed to something like asperger's, or ADD). We have him in counseling to help with emotional processing and making eye contact when speaking or listening. He has an occupational therapist to help with his fine motor skills and he will soon have a language therapist who will help with his socialization. When we got the diagnosis, I was conflicted. I felt guilty for the relief I felt...but I'm glad we found out. Now we have a direction to take with him and we have options. Don't give up! Take your child to whatever specialist you can think of if you feel something is not quite right! Be your child's advocate.

Profile Picture
57 44

Where I live, finding a family Doctor is a huge struggle, its suppose to be getting better, but from where I stand, I am stuck with a Family Doctor who brushes off most of my concerns and questions, I never seem to get anywhere- Would be so nice if my doctor said " I am going to send you here" or " here is a great website". I have called all the clinics in my town and meet a dead end on doctor's accepting new patients. Walk- in clinics are OK. But then I have to wonder.....Everyone seems to have an opinion - 'try this website 'or 'it might be this'. I trust myself when I see that my child acts different, but how do you trust the information others are giving you? I do not have the time to sit on the computer and follow up every lead I am given..... So where do you start? how do you trust the information you are given is coming from the true source, and that it has not been passed through the 'telephone game?" Not everyone has a great sense of instinct when it comes to others 'word of mouth'. So I just find it so frustrating ALL the info that is out there.

Profile Picture
5 8

denise, it might not be true for all children, but this thread is not to bash people for their beliefs. i work in a therapy center for kids with all sorts of special needs, & developmental delays-and in some cases the parents believe that it is vaccinations that caused their childs autism. i personally regret having my son getting so many vaccinations. and he does have developmental delays- but im not blaming that. have a little more compassion! more sunshine in your life lady!

Profile Picture
12 1

I agree, it really worries me that people are refusing to vaccinate because yes they are THEIR children but as louise said what about the children too young to be vaccinated who can catch a deadly disease from a child that was not vaccinated, or with whooping cough there is only 90% coverage as it is so people not immunising their children are going to effect the mothers that chose to immunise but were in the 10% that it didnt cover (my best friends 2 children 9 months and 3 yrs just had whooping cough but had both had all their immunisations) i really hope that people dont just stop immunising as we're gonna have a hell of alot more breakouts and alot more infant deaths if thats the case... to be honest it seems more like the people against vaccinating are just counting on other people to vaccinate so that their children dont come into contact with it but what if no one immunised and the disease ran rampant would you then immunise?

Profile Picture
1 10

@ Robyn: While what your child (and you!) suffered through is absolutely horrible, can I ask how you know it was due to that belief?? I ask because unfortunately, many people also believe that vaccines are fail-proof. My son had every single one of his DTaP shots on schedule, and by the time he was 7 years old, his titer (a blood test run to show whether or not someone has immunity) showed as if he had never recieved a single shot for Pertussis and Tetanus. And yet, he had only had one MMR shot, but had full immunity. Vaccines are not, as they would like us to believe, one size fits all. I do agree that parents should definitely read the medical research and educate themselves before making such an important decision though!

Profile Picture
1 10

As a person who works with autistic children, I have listened to many many parents who report that their child exhibited worsening symptoms after given a live active virus. I definately do not promote everyone going without vaccinating their children. And I do believe that most vaccinations are safe. I also support a case by case basis. I chose not to give my son the MMR vaccine, which is the particular vaccine that my patients have warned against. Had he been healthy with no allergies and digestion issues, I wouldn't have thought twice about vaccinating him. I am not one of those people that believe the rise in Autism Spectrum Disorders is caused solely by vaccinations. But I do feel I am airing on the side of caution by merely waiting to vaccinate my son against diseases that he has very little chance of contracting. I encourage everyone to do their own research on the matter. I don't agree with throwing around the words "ignorant" when discussing peoples ideals. I am choosing to do what I believe is best for my son, based on accounts of people that I trust, and I stand by my decision to do so.

1 0

For all you people so disgusted at the thought that vaccinations may cause harm and who can't believe the government would allow such action, I would like to encourage you to do YOUR research. Start with the polio vaccine, then go to any other massively boasted successful vaccine. You are looking for the death rates just before the vaccines were introduced and then just after. The truth is our bodies immunize themselves more then the vaccines. We adapt. It is not natural to fill our bodies with assorted chemicals in hopes of not getting sick. Here is a fact also: My oldest son has had chicken pox 5 times though you can apparently only get it once.He is my only vaccinated kid.

3
2 1

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2010/jun/10060312 Here is a link to confirm the correlation of autism and vaccinations. There are many other studies out there too. Hope this helps anyone wondering about the link.

18 13

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002494/
Once you visit the sites listed in the first post or the one above, if you still feel your child might have autism visit your doctor. Be sure to make a list of observed signs you are worried about and questions before you go and have them ready to talk to the doctor about. If you do not feel comfortable with that doctor's opinion or recommendations get a second opinion as soon as possible. If your child does have it, the sooner you catch it the better for the child. If the child does not have it you should feel happy you checked it out anyway. :)

3
2 21

I have 7 yr old triplets. 2 of them are on the spectum (educational diagnosis of mid-range moderate), and have different symptoms. My son is resistent to change, has texture issues with some foods, avoids eye contact a majority of the time, is only affectionate with certain people, has problems sitting down for meals, classtime, etc..., focuses on vehicles' wheels, and is mechanically inclined. My daughter is very excitable (loud, high-pitched voice) in normal social settings, doesn't seem to hear me when I speak to her, snuggles with a select few people, is reading at over a 3rd grade level, but having some comprehension issues, doesn't seem to engage in play with many kids other than her brother, focuses on vehicle wheels, sleeps on fuzzy pillows, and especially enjoys stringy things. They both developed late, but were initially treated due to severe low birth weight and prematurity. In early childhood, my son's teacher suggested he be tested for autism. I didn't pursue it until the next school yr, but when I looked over the questionaire, decided we needed to evaluate our daughter too (I believe they were 4 yrs old then). Some issues they had prior to that time that point to autism were no longer an issue, but there were still signs. They say early intervention (by age 8) is best, and can be very effective. I see my kids learning and changing every day. This topic has been helpful to me in a lot of ways. Our 3 child has special needs as well, but her concerns are very different from theirs. Sometimes, I think my lack of knowledge on this subject causes me to expect more from my kids than what they can give us. If we find time to educate ourselves, we can make a huge difference in the lives of our children. Thanks for all the positive, helpful information given!!!

2
22 29

I am an Autism Support Worker and I hope all you Moms that think you have kids in the spectrum stick to your guns and get treatment! The earlier the better. I have been doing this for 4 years and have seen the most remarkable transformations!! Every fall we have approximately 50 children that we transition to school, and many of them are better able to handle school life than non-ASD kids.
If you're in Canada (even if you're not, the info is helpful!) you can check out this site:

http://www.autismsocietycanada.ca/

Best wishes to you!!!

2
Profile Picture
0 20

Some of the best information can be found here:

There will be other resources listed on that page, including the CDC. Also, check with your local Department of Disabilites and Special Needs or your state Autism Society.

On a personal note, trust your gut. If you think there is something amiss, have your child evaluated by a developmental pediatrician or pediatric neurologist. If your child isn't meeting developmental milestones, isn't speaking, isn't making eye contact, over-reacts or under-reacts to sensory input (sound, light, touch, etc), have him/her checked out. Don't wait and don't assume your regular pediatrician will be able to pick up on the signs...ours didn't:(

I highly recommed the movie "Autism, the Musical". You see a broad spectrum of autism there.

Don't be afraid to ask for help or worry about what other people think. Again, trust your gut.

2
Profile Picture
0 20

This is from the Autism Speaks First 100 Days Kit (to assist in the first 100 days after you receive the diagnosis). It gives additional signs for older children and lays out the specific diagnostic criteria: http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/100-day-kit/diagnosis-causes-symptoms

0 22

I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist and I work with kids in the autism classroom in the local public school. But more importantly I'm Grace's mom! She was diagnosed Asperger Syndrome 3 years ago.

I came across a documentary on Netflix (free streaming) last night and I have to share! It's call Loving Lampposts, and it is AMAZING!! Beautifully done and insightful! I cannot recommend it enough! It explains so much, covers all the various theories in a comprehensive way, gives perspectives of those with autism as well as family members in such a logical yet beautiful way. WOW!!

Here's a link to the website and trailer: http://vimeo.com/7654323
Please check it out! As an SLP, it's everything I want to say to the parents of my students as well as my own family members about Grace- and it's said eloquently!

2
3 1

Have you heard about Indigo kids? some of this angels with "autism" could be indigos instead...

1
16 25

I am currently going through the same thing and having my son tested. There are many signs, but a few that got my attention are when he would not play with other children and be by him self. when the radio in the car is on and I can barely hear it he would cover his ears and scream its to loud, and he constantly would flick his hands around. I hope this helps some.

1
11 11

Here are some indicators that are mentioned in the DSM-IV (book used for diagnosing disorders). I paraphrased them. A kid can be on the spectrum and have all or few of them; everyone is different.

1. lack of eye contact
2. delay in communication (not just verbal, but any kind of communication)
3. lack of desire to share experiences or interests with others (doesn't point out things, show interest in cooperative play)
4. lack of emphathy/understanding emotion
5. lack of understanding social cues (nonverbal communication)
4. engages in repetitive behaviors (rocking, flapping, spinning.... )
5. engages in strict rituals routine that have little function
6. shows a lot of sensitivity or lack of sensitivity to sounds, physical touch, etc

I work with kids on the spectrum, and they are some of the most intelligent, endearing and incredible kids... they take more time to understand that your "average" child, but it is absolutely worth it, and their insights and views of the world are absolutely amazing.

1
187 14

Superbly put! My son is now 4 1/2 and starts school next month, he was diagnosed severe ASD when he was 2yrs 3mths old. I can't thank his teachers enough for what they have done for him in the past year, he has been going to his specialist school on a part time basis since last September. He has gone from being very clingy not wanting to go in to now knowing his classroom and things that are going on in there and has just this week begun to sing "row row row" that's the only word he has said but he sings it and does the actions for it now. He is a totally different boy to the one that first walked in the door, and I am confident that with the support of his family, and his teachers that he will flourish in the years to come. I just wanted to say a huge thank you for all your hard work, I'm sure the parents of the children you work with will be eternally greatful for the help you give them, as I am to my son's teachers.

11 11

Thank you for your comment! I can't deny that working with kiddos on the spectrum can be very difficult, but as I said before, the rewards are so much greater than the challenges. It is like trying to talk to someone who is speaking a completely different language. Each "language" and each child is absolutely unique (thus making it so different to diagnose definitively). However, the language DOES make sense; we just have to figure it out. I think one of the hardest parts of working with kids on the spectrum is learning to deny OURSELVES. We have to completely throw out OUR way of thinking, judging and communicating, and see things the way they are seeing them first. In my opinion (and I don't claim to be right) the end goal is not a child who can rattles of their alphabet, can sit without stimming, or learns how to greet properly ; It is to share with them the beauty and fulfillment from making a connection and having a relationship with another human being. Granted, the other stuff is extremely important for functioning within life, and I am not downplaying those achievements at all! Learning these fundamental building blocks shows that they are learning to become imitators which is SO important for the rest of their life. Good luck with your 4 year old. As you know, the more love, support and challenges you give him, the more he will continue to flourish and astound you!

1 15

I'm a mom of two wonderful boys with autism. First at all please start calling kids, adult with autism. No autistic. They are not autistic, they have autism. The first time I explain this to one of their teachers in an IEP, their attitude trough my boy change completely. She start seing my boy like a person. Pay more attention to him and more important, work harder with him. Both of my boys start talking at 5 years old. Is a very lonely life, no many people wants to be around kids with special needs. So if you are in a place like us, looking for better life for our kids, you are alone. In any event is a really, really hard life but never, never give up. My boys are in a public school in mainstream. My older one has a GPA of 3.71. He is doing well at school, execpt for the bullies and is hard for him to make friends. That why I hate so much school time. My younger one his reading is not good and also have ADHD. And his comprehension part is no much there. But we continue working with them at home ( the parents). Treating them like typical kids, when every action has a consecuence and they follow the rules very well ( now). We can go to place and they will follow the rules that we explain in the car or in the house. And when they forgot, we just remind them and they stop their behavior. We just follow the rule that one day we will not be here and they will have to continue without us. God bless all parent with kids with special needs.

1
10 0

Thank you for your insight and your comments. My daughter is 3 and has autism. She also has sensory issues. I need help with getting her in the bath tub and other things, like brushing teeth and brushing her hair. She isn't potty training and she gets scared and screams when she starts to pee without a diaper on. She used to sit on the toilet and look at a book with me, but now she won't get on any more because she started to pee in there and it got her scared and she tried to stop it with her hands, and now won't sit on the toilet any more. I'm hoping it will get better when she starts school. She will be starting in Developmental Preschool this month. Thank you again for your comments and sharing.

4 24

I know it is frustrating, both my son and daughter were very late developmentally with potty training. My daughter and son were both 4. My son is ADHD, possibly also on the spectrum, very difficult controlling his temper and impulses. Special education and early intervention in ot, pt,speech, etc really do make a huge difference. It's great that you're getting her into school now. It should help quite a bit. It won't happen overnight, but good teachers will make a huge difference in her life and yours. My best wishes to you and her. And don't sweat the potty training. It will happen, maybe just not on the exact "timeline" you've expected. Good luck, you're not alone!

0 17

Everyone has mentioned the repetitive movements like hand flapping, not responding when someone calls their names, sensory issues,etc.
My four year old son starting spinning when he was 18 months old. It couldn't have been vaccinations because we didn't vaccinate him on time (we've caught up with that). Even then, we didn't believe there was something wrong when a friend kindly observed he could have autism. He was a normally active child and loved to sing. We didn't know he could not speak because he would sing all the time and knew the words of very long songs and could say them all very well.
When he started grabbing our hands to lead us to whatever he wanted and even placing our hands in the desired object instead of pointing or asking for it, we started thinking it was unusual. But we were generally amazed by his resourcefulness, so we were not alarmed.
At two we started noticing his meltdowns were horribly worse than any normal temper tantrum and would hit his head on the floor making his forehead look like a mountain range. Finally at his checkup the pediatrician mentioned it could be autism (he didn't say mom or dad, couldn't say any of his siblings names, didn't even notice the doctor was in the room until he started examining him, but was incredibly advanced in other areas like counting to 20 in both english and spanish, working mechanical stuff, musically giftedetc.). We were referred to a neurologist who said it might be food allergies (it wasn't). The allergist changed his diet to a gluten free, nut free, soy free one (didn't work). We tried taking him off dairy (didn't work either).
We moved to the USA when he was 30 months, took him to the doctor because of a persistent cough and the visit lasted more than an hour when the doctor saw all his behaviors (add making weird noises). Started with Early Intervention right away and that helped a lot with stopping the leading by the hand behavior and talking more. His ST didn't think he had autism because he started learning to speak so much. Still, the odd movements (add finger twirling, hand flapping, sensory seeking), weird noises, horrible meltdowns (add biting and generally violent behavior).
Started a Preschool program for children with disabilities when he was three and loved it from the start (the routine). The first weekend he didn't go to school he had a meltdown that lasted three full days (lack of routine) and left him without voice. We took him to a developmental ped. and was diagnosed on the spot. The reason why he was speaking is because he has echolalia (pretty much repeating what everyone else says) and that is a sign of autism too!!!! His speech is pretty much what he has rehearsed before, but try to get him to say anything new and it doesn't happen on its own. You have to tell him what you want him to repeat in order for him to do so. Can't start a conversation, etc.
Needless to say, we absolutely adore him and we love the fact that he is different, we have been able to work through parent training and self education to reduce his meltdowns and he is learning so much!!!!

1
7 32

Google Dr. Robert Melillo or visit www.brainbalancecenters.com. He has done some wonderful research on functional disconnection syndrome which includes autism and a handlful of other neurological problems such as Asperger's, ADHD, sensory integration and dyslexia. There is hope that these issues can be corrected or lessoned with his programs.

1
1

Poor eye contact she is 4andhalfmonth old

0
5 0

My 15 month child like to play with the wheels of the cars, but also like to functionaly play with the car and other objects that has wheels. Is that a sign that I have to worry about?
Denny

0
0 0

what could course ear bit to a child who does not hear and talk?

0
0 0

32 0

Autism is not usually diagnosed before the age of 3 however you need to be careful when getting the test certain kinds of autism can actually present themselves as other disorders (ADHD or ADD usually) at younger ages and then come full blast when in middle school. I grew up with friend who is mild autistic, a brother who is High Functioning and a classmate who was Severe. Severe is easy because of the signs. If you have autism in your family I suggest getting your child genetically tested to see if they have the genetic problems that can cause autism.
I got my daughter genetically tested when she was only a few months old due to the fact that I was adopted but also because my brother is high functioning autistic it helps me with the signs. My daughter as two genetic condtions a duplication on the 16th chromosome can cause autism and her microdeletion on her first also causes issues with the mental aspect.

An autistic child can come in different ways their attention wanes away from activities they do not like while paying very close attention to what they do like. Mild and High functioning they will talk and act pretty normal those usually are cases misdiagnosed the most. Severe tend to need a lot of promptings for everything until they find that one thing they really are good at. Its hard no matter what kind of autism you have to work with to make them understand what they are doing but it is worth every step when they graduate high school.

0
0 0

3.5 yr-old grand child, pre-diagnosed w/autism - at the doctors office after I question his behavior. He was tested and there was not a clear diagnosis of autism, and I don't really not what is going on. He currently is in pre-school and going to a special school 1-day a week. He does not have all the garden variety of symptoms. He speaks and moves around well... He has an 8 year old mind and get frustrated quickly. However, was always jumping around, very hyper and does not appropriately respond to directions. He holds his ears from different noises and his social skills were lacking. When he has fits, it was unsafe for him - as he flapped his hand, jumps around ad throws things. He does not respond well to discipline in any form. When I take him to the store, or a large public gathering, it is overwhelming for him and it usually results in a melt down. Initially, I thought don't take him to any large public places. This is our biggest problem. I am also taking care of two other grandchildren ages 8 and 5 who are girls. The 8 yr-old has PDS, and we were able to easily deal with that. How can I get the clear diagnosis? What can I do calm him down in large outing or public places? What forms of discipline or training to route out bad behavior?

0
0 0

My son is 3 he can not count past 1 without help. I believe something is wrong but others say give him time it truly frustrates me because my 2 year old can count to ten. Now you tell me, sounds like he has a learning disability.

0
5 0

Speech regeneration, and lack of eye contact, fear of strangers and noises, reading or doing same thing again and again. very fond of little things and spend hours with that, watch rotating objects over and over, like cartoons like Tom and Jerry, Oggy witch doesn't have spoken words. those are the things i noticed my kid who was suspected as Autism. those we noticed when she was 2 and half years like now she is 4 and half this December she has improved a lot.

0
7 0

my son has had autism disorder sence he was 18 months he is now 9 yearws old still yet he is felling 2nd grade and the school wont go by the doc who has tested him on 1-3-12 he is with disability and my son is getting a check from ssi i don't know how too get my son in a special class so he can get the help he needs i want the best for my son i still dont know anything much about his disorder but i know he needs the special classroom im tired of dealing with the school on them telling me they have got too test my son when they keep telling me he i adhd,add,and odd how can a school tell u that when they aint a doctor and the doctors state what my son has

0
0 0

Depending on where you live contact the Dept of Health. To find out what services are available for your child. With this information it can help lead you in the right direction towards getting help for your son.

11 0

One thing I just read (sorry if someone already posted this because I don't have time to read all the answers!) is that their head circumference is large for their age. My son's jumped several brackets in just a few months so the nurse seemed concerned but didn't say why. I am hoping all is well, but we have to wait and see.

0
76 0

From about 18mths old I've known something isn't quite right with my nearly 8 year old, he used to have to line up his cars when we went out or he would have a tantrum, he'd sit for hour just rolling a car up and down the floor not talking until he was about 3 late walking also. I used to walk to my mums every day and on the way he'd have to walk on every drain and shut every garden gate, if he missed one he'd. Have to go and do it again. Even now he doesn't like getting his hands muck,y in the slightest, if he thinks there's black bits on his food he will pick it off when there's prob most of the time nothing there. He has trouble showing emotions and doesn't know why he's sad, angry or happy. He's very intelligent but his social skills aren't there. Does this sound like autism as he went to c a child phycologist and they just passed it off as it being my fault as I was in a bad relationship when he was 2 for about 4mths. Also he has 5 year old sister and 2 younger brothers but he seems to have such hatred from his sister he hurts her al the time and has since she was born.HELp!,

0
1 5

This is such a touchy subject...My oldest son has been diagnosed for the last year and a half with pdd-nos. He's almost 13 years old. I was going to my doctor at least once a year, explaining to him that something was off, that he wasn't "normal" as much as i didn't want to describe him that way. I would give him a whole list of things that concerned me...little things like he would hum when his pencil touched paper, and wouldn't stop until it was off the paper...he only ate white food...it took two weeks of fighting before school started to get him to even try on his new shoes, but once he did, those were his shoes and there was no going back to the old pair...kids backed away from him within 5 minutes of being at a park, saying "that kid is weird"...he grunted and roared when he played outside...he flicks his hands when he gets stressed doing homework...he excels at math, but even in grade 7 he reads at about a grade 3 level...and the worst of all as a mom, i haven't really even been able to hug my little guy since he was about 4 years old...he hates being touched. The list goes on...but all my doctor would say is, he's a typical boy, he will outgrow it. He actually told me to starve him until he eats what I give him....I don't think he realized my son would've just starved to death before eating different food...it took me ten years to finally see a good doctor who knew just after talking to him for a brief few minutes that something about him stood out.

Anyway, I only wish that I had more help while my son was growing up because maybe things would be different for him now. My advice to parents now is, if you even think something is going on, go to your doctor, go to a specialist, whoever....but look into it.

On a side note, you should never feel shame or embarrassed that your son or daughter could have a disability, by feeling that way you are denying him/her the best chance at life! They are still smart, loving, funny, caring...they just show it and learn it in different ways! Think of it this way...if you cut your front lawn from side to side, but your neighbour cut his in a bunch of zigzags, would you be embarrassed to have company over?? or would you just be happy to that your neighbour's lawn isn't covered in weeds!! We are all different, a simple diagnosis doesn't change you!

0
6 0

I have a 4 months old baby. he is born exactly one month before.
he is exactly 4 months old now. he doesnt respond to sounds when he is awake. he responds and awakens to any small sound when he is in sleep. he laughs, he wants us to be near to him. plays with us. maintains very good eye contact. he watches the toys. if the toy is moving, he follows it correctly. when he is awake also, he gets startled to familiar voices, but doesnt turn towards sound. his breathing pattern changes when he is exposed to sound and we could see that. but still he doesnt turn to see which is causing the sound.
he passed the basic ear test and also the detailed ear test. doctor said that there is nothing wrong with his hearing. may be the bone will take some more time to develop.
The doctor also told that he is not showing continuous interest in the same object.
we are extremely scared that it is an autistic symptom. kindly do let me know if you or your friends had faced similar issues and recovered in the upcoming months. kindly reply.

0