What are typical chores for boys?

Teaching boys responsibility through chores can be a great learning experience. What are some good chores appropriate for boys?

8 0

The first thing that occurred to me is: why should "boy" chores be different from "girl" chores? Right now my 3-year old is expected to help pick up his toys. As he gets older, we'll add taking out the trash, setting the table, helping with cooking and laundry, helping with lawn care, and whatever else I can think of. I don't plan to keep him just to traditional "male" jobs--someday when he's out on his own, I figure knowing how to cook and do laundry will be just as helpful as mowing the lawn and taking out the trash!

64
0 0

It was the first thing that occured to me also. Girls and boys alike should have same responsibilities and grow to meet equal challenges so they learn they are capable of doing anything they want to accomplish!

0 0

Sooo true,so true Kris.I am a single mum with only 1 son 10yrs and a girl just turned 5yrs, with just them 2 alone can be so tiring having to clean up after them,because on top of that was the laundry,having to clean each and every room including bathroom and toilet and the back yard needing tending to and I had constant visitors all the time which was not helping the stress I was having with house work.I just felt like I had no time for myself and no quality time for the kids.As soon as my son was old enough,I would ask him to help me out around the house,it was hard at first to get him to do what I'd ask,but now he enjoys doing it because it pleases me,it makes him feel good,he gets rewarded and... it's nice to have a clean house,also It means that I now have more time to enjoy my kids and they got more play time with me.He even offers to help me clean the bathroom,toilet,he'll take out the trash even do the washing for me,I bought a top loader washing machine with a little window on the door,he was pretty excited about it for a long time,he loves it,so long as I sort the washing out for him first.My daughter is my little helper, when she offers to help out as well just makes me so proud of them. :-)

0 0

I don't think the intention of the question was to be gender specific. I have 2 boys and only think in terms of boys. So if I would have asked the question, I too would have said "for boys" and not "for children". I think a parent with just girls would have done the same thing. so back off on the boy/girl thing and just give ideas. :o)

2 7

I have a boy and 2 girls, and they all are responsible for the same chores on rotation. They all do the dishes, they all vacuum, they all wipe down the counters and table....the list goes on. =)

0 12

My 10-year-old son keeps his room clean, he cleans his own bathroom (toilet, sink, counter) every Friday, he rinses his dishes and puts them in the dishwasher, he brings the recycle bins in, and he helps me with yard work. He enjoys helping me around the house and enjoys having a clean house. He brings me his dirty laundry and sorts it, then he wants to help me load the washing machine and fold clean clothes. I never have to remind him to clean up after himself if he spills something. He likes to feed the cats and help me put dishes away and help me cook. He is not crazy about cleaning his room, but anytime he has a chance to help me with housework he offers. He enjoys being a help to me and spending time with me. While we do house work and yard work he talks my ear off. I think it is important to teach him all of those responsibilities and create good habits while he is young.

39 22

I have to agree! Our house was divided by boy chores and girl chores until I was the only child left. At that point they all became my chores. My brother spent two years with pink underwear and socks until one of his friends took pity on him and taught him how to do laundry. He also had to replace several uniforms after burning them with the iron. He finally took a cooking class when he wanted to impress a girl, since he couldn't even make hamburger helper up to that point. My father would be in a similar boat if left alone. I, on the other hand, left my parents house able to change a tire, mow the lawn, cook a fancy dinner, or iron military pleats.

41 0

my best friend's mother makes $67 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her pay was $19342 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this website ......www.max38.com

41 0

41 0

Add a commentmy best friend's mother makes $67 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her pay was $19342 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this website ......www.max38.com

2 0

1. set table, clean table
2. help mowing lawn
3. wash cars
4. keep room tidy
5. bring laundry to laundry room
6. help with dishes
7. walk and feed the dog
8. take out trash
9. fix small problems around the house (mine actually put in a new door lock for me) - he is 14 though.

I make him do his chores before he is allowed to do anything else like playing videogames, meeting up with friends etc. This assures they get done!!!

29
96 4

And I'll be he feels so good about himself. GOOD for you, girl! Pat Nickerson (ECE)

10 3

All of them.

Seriously, if it's something you have to do to maintain a healthy/clean house, it doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl, you need to learn to do it. The best time to start is as soon as they are old enough to understand it and do it safely. This may mean splitting things like laundry up into several "levels". Level one is pressing "the Button" (a toddler can do this), level 2 sorting and tossing in clothes, level 3 you get to set the dials, level 4 (much older) getting to pour the soap.

If you let them grow without ever having to do a chore, and then suddenly try to make them start doing it when they are pre-teens or teenagers, you're going to be in for a rough time. They didn't have to do them before? Why now? It feels like a punishment almost. Double bad timing when you are hitting the age where they start to naturally question authority.

My son is 7, he...
-can help load/unload the dishwasher
-sweep floors
-wipe down counter tops and other "windex" objects (like mirrors and appliances)
-fold and put away his own laundry
-clean his room

He doesn't do all of these everyday (except clean his room), but pitches in with the rest of us when it's time to clean up the house a bit.

After all, he lives here too.

26
2 7

I have a 7-year-old son, too, and I expect the exact same out of him. These are good guidelines. =)

0 60

yup,exactly.. my 18mth boy put away his own laundry and is eager to feed the fish daily :))

1 10

My problem is I get the 7 year old (son) started on a chore and he gets distracted by the 5 year old (son) and then runs off - if I try to start the 5 year old he runs of to see what the 5 year old is doing --- can't seem to rope them in without the screaming and yelling

Profile Picture
0 6

After 8 weeks with assorted grandkids, I believe the best thing we can teach children is a mentality of taking care of themselves and looking for things to do to help others. This is a mental thing rather than physical--you can't put it on a chart. I'm trying to help my children by standing back and waiting for them (grandkids) to open doors for others, leaving small things undone so they can do them, etc. I'm encouraging them to look for ways to help, be aware that I'm struggling with the groceries or vacuum cleaner and lend a hand. Look for things that need to be done and do them without my asking. I don't think my house is the place for "chores" as such but rather "how can I help grandma and grandpa."

14
Profile Picture
1 0

I love the idea of specifically leaving things undone to give them practice at being thoughtful

9 2

I have two boys ages 6 and 5. They both make their beds in the morning, Open up the curtains, clean up after breakfast including putting dishes in the sink/dishwasher and cleaning off he table and floor if anything was spilled. Which , lets face it - there always is. They also vacuum their rooms, and clean their bathroom. The put away the clothes I fold and get stuff out of the dryer for me to fold. They also pick up toys at the end of the day too.

12
180 21

the same one you would give to girls, dishes, trash, vacuuming, laundry etc.

12
0 0

How about cleaning the bathrooms (in particular the toilets as girls don't sprinkle on the rims)? This is when they are a little older of course. When they are 3 they would just want to play in it! LOL

180 21

Bathrooms, absolutely. it was a requirement for both my children (1 of each). I am not just trying to get them to contribute to the household i am trying to prepare them to live on their own someday and be able to make it without someone to clean up after them. My caughter is now 23 and is about to have her first child, she does really well and I am pround of her. My son just turned 18 and is high on the spectrum, he will need a little more training - especially on the bathroom, we still ahve a step by step card for that one. That is another thing, as kids get older and can operate more independantly, cards that tell the kids what steps to do to complete that task are so handy. I frees you up so you only have to check things when done and they get a sense of accomplishment fromm having done it them selves. It also establishes a routine beacuse most people will follow the steps in order every time. Lass chance of missing something.

6 1

There are no "typical" chores for boys or girls. There are responsibilites that should be taught to children. Boys should do the same chores as the girls.

7
5 6

Our grandchidren ages 11 and 14. _nload the dishwasher. They know how to wash their clothes. If. THey have too. One takes care of his pets And the other helps take care of the three year granddaughter sometimes. I think it is also important they learn how to cook and do things in the kitchen. Things happen. And it is good for them to know these things. And they are very proud of themselves whEn they cook something.

7
Profile Picture
0 0

Both of my boys... now grown men learned to cook and do laundry. I don't think there should be "typical chores for boys". Both of my sons are now great cooks and do the majority of the cooking for their household. My daughter-n-laws thank me.....

6
Profile Picture
0 0

daughters-in-law

Profile Picture
0 4

daughter-in-law. You got it wrong too. Why would you correct someone, unless you have a very low self-esteem & the only way to make yourself feel better is by correcting others. Very sad & bad habit!

Profile Picture
0 0

This put a smile on my face. funny :)

Profile Picture
180 21

Danielle, Rosalind may actually have ti correct since there is more than one son, there would be more than one daughter-in-law, hence daughters-in-law. however, as I am a bad typist myself and often make mistakes, I think we should try to see these messages for what they say overall and leave the grammar policing for English class.

Profile Picture
0 0

Beth, Danielle and Rosalind, According to http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/compounds.htm , the correct way is daughters-in-law as Rosalind Poole mentioned. I don't think there is anything wrong with her correcting a grammar error. It's never too late to learn something. I'm a life-long learner, and if I don't have people around me who care to correct my grammar, I'll still be having trouble gaining experience as a great writer. I learn from my and other people's mistakes. That's what life is all about. Enjoy your lives and thanks for your great advice. Beth, I'm also married to a wonderful man who also is a very involved father. He even changed diapers when our seven-year-old son was an infant. Even though he works full time, he helps me cooking, taking care of our son, cleaning around the house thanks to his mom. I thank her every time I have an opportunity. I write long letters to let her know that too. She is a wonderful mother-in-law. I love her to be around our son for she is a valuable person, and she has so much more experience than me. I love for her to come and visit us here in the U.S. She lives in the Netherlands and I miss her a lot. I'm glad your daughters-in-law are grateful to you. You did a great job with your sons! God bless you and to all the mother who believe in helping their boys be responsible at home too. :)

Profile Picture
1 12

Daughters-in-law was actually correct. If you read the original comment, she was speaking of two people. I don't see what the big deal is for someone to show someone else the right way of doing something. It's a motherly thing...not a self esteem thing. Danielle, you are the one that made it bad, not Rosalind. It's the English language. Nothing wrong with doing it correctly. IMHO

0 0

My son is 9...

Cleans his bathroom and the guest bathroom
Dust and vaccums his room and the play room
Sweeps and mops the bathroom floors
Does his laundry
Takes the trash out
Feeds the dog

Doesn't matter if you are a boy or girl...chores are chores and EVERYONE should pitch in and help!!!

6
3 0

What do the parents do? Seems like a lot of cleaning house, plus school, homework and when does he have time to be a kid? He is after all, only 9 yrs. old!

7 27

@ Eileen children need to learn how to look after a home....girl or boy!! They still have play time and school and homework, when they are older and working they still have to look after a home so it's setting them up for a future to have a clean and healty home. It's not like the parents are sitting watching them we are doing work, housework and looking after our children. When you are single with no children you don't have have as much to do like their clothes or toys. Giving chores also helps with family time as it takes pressure off parents cause the chores are shared out and not just one persons responsibility to clean. Parents can spend more time with their children!

30 10

@eileen how will a child ever learn how to do these things if e dont encourage them or would u rather we raised a generation of children you can not do anything for themselves..and these chores would not be completed all in the one day maybe not even the same week my son is 5 and he has his every day chores and every week he will have a different big chore to do generally on a sat he has pleanty of time after his homewrk n chores to play and no longer has to b asked to his everyday ones not bad for a child with dcd

15 3

@Eileen - as any mother who has taught her children to do things around the house can testify, the parent has PLENTY to do - before, during and after the kiddos do their chores - explaining what to do (at least at first), monitoring during, and checking up and praising after. If someone is a member of my household, they pull their own weight if they are at all capable of doing so (my 86 year old mom with dementia gets a pass, however - if she were still 'herself', she'd be doing stuff before I got a chance to, lol)... and both my grown daughters have come back and thanked me for being a hard a$$ mom about teaching them how to cook, clean, do laundry, etc... after going off to school and meeting people who didn't even know the most basic things about picking up after themselves much less doing laundry or actual cleaning! When they come to my house, they *still* at 25 and 30 pitch in to clean up after dinner, etc... and they have taught their guys to jump in there also. I'm a proud mama!

31 1

Same as for girls....anything within their capabilities. My girls learned to change oil, check fluids and etc. on their cars, plus use basic hand tools to make repairs or hang a shelf, etc. My boys could hem pants, sew on a button, cook....

Life has the same needs for both sexes. Help make them self-sufficient!

5
4 16

My boys and girls had the same chores. They learned how to cook and clean, mow the yard and clean up dog poo, sew on a button and wash their clothes. The way I see it is to teach them how to survive as adults on their own. They may or may not choose to get married, but they will be able to think and act for themselves. I don't understand why there should be a difference. I personally can set a table or filet a fish.

5
4 2

We have 8 children ranging from 4-25. My 2 older boys that are grown now. They learned to do every chore that there is pertaining to taking care of a house. My goal was that when they grew up I didn't want them to have to rely on a woman to do these things for them. and maybe one day my daughter in laws would appreciate it. In which they do. and it has made their relationship easier. As for my younger ones we do chores here as a family. After dinner everyone is assigned a chore and we all in the kitchen doing them at the same time another great way to spend time together. We try to do all the chores that way. We go to bed every nite with the house cleaned and ready for the next day and it only takes around 20 minutes a nite.

4
2 18

Love this!

2 13

My son would pick a neighbor and mow, edge and weed eat their yard. At home boys and girls a like washed clothes, dishes, vacuumed and did yard work. We all cooked together and would go to our neighborhood park and clean it up after playing there. Rule of thumb is ,"Leave it better than you found it."

4
0 0

Chores are all the same for boys and girls in my household,Dishes, garbage, bathroom, bedrooms, laundry....All the same. We don't push our daughter to take out heavy garbage, or rake leaves, but for the most part, its all the same.

4
7 1

My son is five and his daily chores are:
1. Filling the dog's water dish
2. Taking out the recycling
3. Putting the mail where it goes.
I feel I need to find more for him to do, as he is an active little boy and keeping him busy keeps him out of trouble. He also likes to help with cooking sometimes.

4
76 29

Wow, love the answers here....When my Dad (would have been 99 this year) was 9 yrs old, he wasn't at school-when the truancy officer came to the door, she found my Dad wearing an apron with a dish cloth in his hands...LOL. She asked why he wasn't at school and he invited her in and told her he had to care for the boarders while his parents were away in Buffalo for a family funeral. (never mind being in a different city-they were in a different country) He asked if she would like a cup of tea and a fresh biscuit he had just taken out of the oven....she went back to the school and reported they were the best cup of tea/fresh biscuit she had ever tasted.
That said, obviously we can't be leaving our kids (especially at that age) to care for a home/boarders.
I did my son a disservice by holding him back from certain chores (cooking-b/c its too dangerous) laundry (b/c he might mix the wrong clothing/colors etc)
Getting him to do any chore around the house is a bigger chore for us now--we hear excuses --that is too hard and dangerous -cutting the lawn etc.
Do yourself a favour and as all these ladies have suggested start them early with all chores...whether you think they are girl or boy chores or not.
My son is 15 and it is hard to get him to clean his room (thats his space so I pick that battle careflully)
He also likes to leave stuff around the house-sadly we all do it...I suffered from severe depression for 3 years after losing my Dad and couldn't tackle many organizing chores around the house--and I didn't make our son either--big mistake in thought process there--how can we make him do something that we're not doing.
I try to enlist my sons help now as I am working outside the home--he is starting to help but I have to really step on him sometimes and take away tv/comp/video games.

3
236 7

I think it is important for you to sit down with your family and talk about the home you dream about walking in to at the end of a long day. Every person gets to have their say. Make a list of things that are important to everyone. Good food. A fresh bathroom. A tidy yard. The bed made. Acknowledge for yourselves that a reasonably clean, organized home will reduce stress for everyone. Assign each person in your home one task to complete each day that will help you work toward your big goals, and one task that's an everyday tidying sort of thing. Help each other stay on track with gentle reminders. Post your list in an obvious place - the refrigerator or near a family calendar where everyone will see it all the time. Make a small mark on the calendar for each day that everyone does their task. If it's a big job, like organizing a whole closet, break it down into small chunks over several days. Choose a fun reward - a restaurant you all love - an outing or movie you all want to see - a new thing for your home that everyone wants - and if everyone has stayed on track, reward yourselves! Don't let an off day snowball... get back on the horse and acknowledge a bad day. But not three days! If you regularly get off track, write down what kept you from your work and see if there is a pattern. Good luck! It definitely takes a team effort to achieve a welcoming home, but it's well worth the time! You have done one of the hardest things by just acknowledging that you all need to do better.

76 29

Thank you Kristi for your advice..it is awesome...sorry it took me so long to see it though...I think a big part of the problem is my husband thinks I should clean and cook etc and our son should do the chores...(says he needs to learn responsibility and to not take things for granted...I say he needs to set an example and if something needs doing...do it) I am going to take your suggestions and do that...and this weekend is the perfect weekend to do it..it is my 3 days off...Thanks again. :-)

0 172

Depending on age of course:

Chores for younger kids:

Make Bed
Empty Trash In Room/Bathroom
Load Dryer
Vacuum
Clean Room
Help Polish

Older Kids (all of the above and):

Take Out Trash
Wash/ Dry/And Put Away Laundry
Sweep
Mop
Clean Bathroom
Wash Dishes

3
0 14

Our kids do many of the chores on the list you posted above Elizabeth. I thought of a way to make it more fun for them rather than feeling like "chores". I wrote each chore down on a slip of paper and put each of them in a bowl. They "get" to choose a chore from the bowl. They run off and complete their task and literally are running back to the bowl to choose another chore/way to help! They love the game of it and feel good being able to help out - we all feel good!

0 0

The typical chores that are for girls also. part of parenting is teaching our kids how to look after themselves so when they go off to school, or leave home for their first job, or just need to look after mum or dad and younger sibs while mum and or dad are down with the flu.
So how to wash dishes, clothes, bathrooms (including toilets!) sweep and mop a floor, wash windows, vacuum, dust. pick up the floor, make their beds change the sheets, wash the sheets. how to peel the veggies, or fry or broil a burger or steak, boil and egg,
The Main thing is that a chore be age appropriate NOT sex appropriate, So your toddlers can help sort their clothes from the laundry pile, or take them up to put in there drawer or on their shelf, three year olds can be taught how to pull the sheets straight, it may not be neat with hospital corners but the habit will begin the work towards a neat and tidy bed.
a five year old can help unload clean dishes and load dirty ones with some help from mom or dad or an older sibling. clearing the table and wiping it down can be handled by a six year old and handwashing plates and smaller pots for a seven and up so too sweeping floors. and vacuuming.
All children below the age of twelve should be working with a parent or older sibling to show how good working together to accomplish a goal is satisfying, put on so bright happy music and work together as a family. by ten years old kids can help rake the lawn while basic safety measures are taught around the lawn mower, or other power garden tools like weed eaters, so that safety becomes automatic in thought. by the time your children are 12 to 16 they should be capable of cutting the grass with minimal supervision for safety. The chores of daily living are non sexist and should be taught as such, later kids will among themselves choose chores by preference. ie. I liked doing laundry but hated dishes, so hubby did dishes, He mowed lawns but I preferred raking, with my kids it was the other way around, the boys raked the girls mowed. the girls did laundry but the boys cooked supper, the girls baked, and emptied dishwashers, the boys hung laundry out, and the girls took turns vacuuming but as my girls left home my boys became more competent at the things they previously didn't do because the girls considered them theirs, All 5 of my kids mastered their laundry, basic meals, bed making etc before they went off to college and university, most of them spent the first couple of weeks teaching their friends what they themselves already mastered.

3
6 1

I have raised 3 sons..all in their 20's now. Chores shouldn't be "boy" or "girl" My son's helped with all household chores. Whether it be cleaning, mowing lawn, doing dishes, laundry, cooking,taking out the trash, etc. I am proud to say that they are all three very self sufficient young men. They all cook, clean, do their own laundry and can take care of their selves.

3
1 0

I only have a son that is 9 and he does everything I do. Fold laundry, put up laundry, take laundry to the Laundry room. Cleans his room, makes his bed, cleans the toilet, sink, and tub/shower. He takes out the trash and sweeps/mops the floor. Wipes down lower cabinets and washes dishes. He sets the table. There should not be anything that females do that he can't do. I want him to be well rounded and not expect the female to do all the house work and he let her without helping. His couisin is 21 or 22 and he thinks women should do all the house work. He was pampered all his life and never had chores or had to pick up after himself. He was raised by his grandmother and I guess she was not the type to teach him to take care of himself and help out. He is in jail now....so if you take the time to teach your children to care for themselves it may keep them honest.

3
10 16

I have 3 boys ages 8, 6, and 2. My boys have alot of chores. They bring in firewood, water plants, take dirty clothes to the laundry, put their own clean clothes away, take out the garbage, their rooms must be cleaned every night before they go to bed, clean out the stalls in the barn, feed the animals, and help with the dishes. The older boys do more than my 2 yr old but in our family everybody helps out.

3
96 4

My husband worked nights, I ran a Home Day Care and Preschool, and he did everything I did, except change diapers (except when our 2 were little). WE had two rocking chairs, and he wouldn't hesitate to rock a cranky child or feed it, even a day care child. He's a lousy cook, but I love it, so who cares? He washes floors, bathrooms and loves folding laundry when I am busy. Our son and daughter were taught to do everything he did (except to change diapers) My son is 32 going on 33 and takes care of elderly patients and does personal care for them. He loves them and is good at this job. He will do anything his wife needs to be done at home, including wash, dishes and take care of their pets. My daughter is the same, and will take on any "Male" chores, as well. They are happy and well adjusted. Why not help them to be independent? Makes either a great spouse and helpmate.

2
Profile Picture
6 0

I think this is a good question, boys should have different chores than girls at a certain age. My son is still required to do all the things his sisters do, (pick up after himself, do his own laundry, wash the dishes, etc.) but since he is stronger than the girls, we also let him take out the trash and do as much heavy work as he can. He loves it. We have found that he feels very important that he 'gets' to do extra work, and the girls are very thankful they don't have to do those things. He is 9, my older daughters are 7 and 10. His favorite chore though, is probably considered a 'girl' chore--he loves taking care of his baby sister, feeding her, playing, reading to her. He isn't too 'macho' for that!

2
Profile Picture
6 0

Oops I meant to add that he also weeds and waters the garden. When he was younger his favorite chore was scrubbing the toilet and shaking out the bathroom rugs.

19 59

I didnt make any chore different. they both learn what chores to do and what happens if they dont say dishes etc. boys shouldlearn what we do. they should know no chores is a he/she it is everyone responsibitity.maybe if more boys learn what we do there would be this bs about women chores...like what is that??

2
0 45

Seriously there is nothing that my 4 boys (as is age appropriate) aren't being taught to do. They are now 1,3,4, and 6yrs old. They, again depending on the age, vacuum, clean the bathroom toilet and floor around it, (wash) dishes, empty the dishwasher as I'm putting away, put groceries away, take out the trash, put away clothes, pick up dirty clothes, trash and toys from the floor etc. My motto is if they can mess it they can clean it!

2
6 1

You're kidding...right? I'm a grandmother of four and I remember mowing the lawn as a girl, helping my dad move furniture, etc. A boy is a member of the family unit and I believe cooking cleaning pet care, car washing etc are fair game for all balanced kids. They are well served boys and girls if they know how to cook use a hammer or wrench, bake a cake or lasagna, take public transportation, fix their bike, handle laundry including ironing. by the time they are 18. Remember they will go out into the same world both should be prepared.

2
236 7

I, too, wonder why you are specifying boy chores and girl chores. That's a setup for a husband that doesn't do his fair share around the house because it's "women's work". Don't do that to your child or his future partner in life, please!! He should help you do anything around the house that he is able to do. Let him participate a little bit in as many activities as his skills allow. My kids help with cooking, laundry, dishes, cleaning, taking care of our pets, making beds, putting things away, shopping errands, recycle and garbage duties, yard work, and all kinds of things! Even very young children can help with these things. My three year old loves a small bucket of warm, soapy water and a rag to help wipe down the cupboards. She likes to dry the dishes we do by hand. She folds the washcloths. She puts things into the recycling. Helps mix and measure things for cooking. Loves to sweep and rake with her child-sized tools. My seven-year old puts away her own clothing, loads the dishwasher, sets the table, feeds the animals, organizes her artwork and crafts, loves to cook (can make scrambled eggs by herself with supervision at the stove), and weeds the garden. I think every child is empowered by helping to care for his or her home, and it shouldn't matter if they are a boy or a girl. There will be times in their life where they are the only ones to do chores. Where will they be left if you have only taught them half of what needs to be done? My older one gets a little allowance for each day, paid on Sunday, if she completes all of her chores for each day of the week. Good luck and have fun! Your child will!

2
17 9

Since I have 2 older boys and 1 lil girl who is 4 years old. The boys are 9 and 12 they have more manly chores such as taking out the garage and mowing the lawn, they also have to pick up after themselves and help emptying the dishwasher. As for my daughter she has to clean up her toys, set the kitchen table, make her bed, etc. just small little chore she can do (she is very petite). The boys get upset because they each have 6 chores and she only has 4. I tried to explain the whole she is younger thing but they didn't care, so then I explained that the more chores you do the more money you get (we give them 50 cents a chore equaling $21 a week per boy and she gets 25 cents a chore which equals $5 a week. Then they agreed to it. But we also switch the boys chores each week. Such as; if one mows the front lawn this week he will mow the back lawn next week.
Most of the time they enjoy their chores!

1
236 7

Do you worry that this may cause them to devalue chores you consider less-manly and more appropriate for your petite daughter? I have a system that I use for my kids that works well. Pay each child a set amount per day based on their age. Make a list of chores that is appropriate for their age. Your oldest will have the most responsibilities, and will be paid accordingly. Design the chore list so that something must be accomplished each day. If they do their work to your satisfaction without complaint that day, they will be paid for that day. Complaining about anyone else's work load results in a no-pay for the day. At the end of the week, they receive their "paycheck" for all of the days they completed. Remind them that when they were four they were not expected to do the same level of work they are expected to do now, because that would be ridiculous. They can ask for a family meeting to consider changes to the chore lists or pay, but may not discuss what the other children are asked to do, only what they are asked to do. Good luck!

321 14

When I was a kid my brother and me took turns in doing the same chores, even though we argued about it and no doubt drove my mother nuts. As boring as chores are (and I still think they are as a mum of 3) they do teach us how to look after ourselves when we leave home. Therefore, I don't think chores should be different for boys and girls. I have 3 wonderful daughters and will not be having any more children so I don't actually have to worry about this anyway lol

1
0 4

I agree with others, what are 'boy chores', they eat, sleep just like girls so emptying the dishwasher or drying dishes, making beds & taking out the garbage isn't that hard. Putting away their clothes after mom/dad have washed them gives them value.
Washing the family vehicle gives them exercise and appreciation for a job well done.
Parents tell your children thank you whether the job is good or semi good when completed.
I'm speaking from a grandmothers view point and I feel I didn't get enough 'thank yous' in my childhood days.
Sue

1
1 0

My boys and girls shared all chores. The only things the boys did differently were if the girls couldn't lift etc (something that had to do with strength, but then my girls were pretty strong and they always said they could do anything a boy could LOL)

1
1 0

I have 3 sons and 3 daughters. I made a list and most of the time they had the same few chores to do. Once in a while I would mix it up and they would try other chores. All at age 7 started to help setting the table, clean up after dinner, wash dishes, or fill dishwasher, and wipe counters, stove, and appliances. Each had a night to help prepare food. When they were teenagers then they had their own night to cook. As they went into 7th grade, they became responsible for washing their own clothes (boys especially took the initiative to wash and dry their own sweaty, smelly football practice clothes which I appreciated. I worked, shopped, and prepared the majority of the meals. The boys mowed and worked on the garage and their rooms as well as family chore lists. The girls babysat younger siblings, helped to fold clothes for younger ones, kept their rooms up, and ran errands to the store at times. Later on, they even helped drop younger ones at daycare, and helped me pick them up when they were high school and college age. My sons all cook, my daughters can work in the yard along side their husbands. They all have great work ethics which makes them invaluable to their employers.

1
0 20

My 5 and a half year old son has the following responsibilities and or "helper" chores that are his job as being part and helping out the family:
~ cleans up his toys
~ hangs his shirts on hangers so I can put them in his closet (he also helps carry clothes upstairs and takes them out of the dryer for me to fold, sometimes)
~ feeds the dog when asked (about half the time)
~ puts recyclable things in recycle bin
~ puts away the silverware (he also "helps" wash and load dishes in the dishwasher)
~ puts his dishes in the sink after eating
~ makes his bed

1
0 23

There should never be a difference between what a boy can do vs. a girl. You raise well rounded individuals if you never put a label as either male or female. I have 6 kids from 21 to 5 and once they are off at college they need to know it all!

1
0 0

Teaching any child responsibility through chores is a wonderful learning experience. They are given the opportunity to contribute to a group in which they belong, they learn life skills and I would hope, a sence of accomplishment.

At this point in time, I wouldn't differentiate in chore allocation between my children based on gender. I would however differentiate based on the personality of the child. I would look for an area that is going to assist them in developing whichever skill base is in need and select chores accordingly.

I also believe having a chore for a prolonged period of time is beneficial as the children learn how to fine tune and simplify the job. I don't change chores each week. With an 11 and 12 year old, I change chores annually. Then everyone knows what they are supposed to be doing and what is expected of them. It makes life easier for mum too. :-)

1
5 20

From a very early age, all children can learn responsibility, respect, and awareness of others. At 3, a child can put napkins on the dinner table, take a sponge and "help" wipe down cabinets, and definitely put toys away in their assigned places. Every child should have consistency in expectations -- and parents need to provide these, while setting important boundaries....The question alarmed me -- as both an educator, child development /cognitive learning specialist, and a parent. Chores should never be divided by gender! As children get older, dishes, laundry, table setting, taking out trash, wiping counter-tops, feeding pets, watering or yard work, responsibilities for maintaining their rooms, and picking up after themselves should be expected.....These are not gender specific: these are the responsibilities we must all live by. If you choose a male role over female, you've done your child a great injustice , limited his/her potential, and set antiquated parameters....

1
3 0

15 year old boy
dog poop
cat liter box
dishwasher
trash
shopping
cooking desert
moving the lawn furniture
weeding
calling the other boy scouts
dusting
help to cut wood with the chain saw
walk the dog

1
0 2

My 15 year old boy danrae can change car tire, he could cook simple recipe, clean our car and knows now how to drive...

11 20

Seriously? Chores for boys? Not trying to be insensitive, just a bit shocked. Maybe this is a cultural consideration here, but in my house the boy and his 3 sisters do the same chores. I grew up with a brother who took out the garbage a couple times a week with 4 sisters who cooked, cleaned, drove truck and tractor on the farm, etc. etc. etc. That won't happen in this house if things go as planned.

I think as one other person said, cleaning toilets is the best chore b/c boys are largely who mess them up with dribbles! My midwife was a single mother with 2 boys and by 3 they could clean a toilet proficiently!

1
2 0

I have 3 children ~ 26 year old girl, 25 year old boy, and 14.5 year old boy. All of them have had jobs to do around the house ranging from dishes, dusting and vacuuming to cleaning the bathrooms. They all have done their own laundry from the age of 11 or so. I have also taught all of them to cook for the family. I believe that each child needs to learn to live as a productive adult and to do so means that they need to learn to do all of the jobs needed to run a house, whether those are traditionally "female" or "male" jobs. What kind of a parent would I have been if my daughter couldn't mow the lawn or my son couldn't do his laundry or cook himself dinner..... since they both live on their own now that would be an issue for them!!!! The 14.5 is still learning......

1
0 3

I have a 10 year old daughter, 5, 4, and 2 year old stepsons that we have half time and all my kids do chores. The ten year old is responsible for completely doing her own laundry wash to put away, clean her room, water and feed the cat and cleaning the carboxylate, sometimes do the filling or emptying of the dishwasher, and or various other things around the house because she is just as capable as I am, just might not be as thorough. She also hangs all the clothes up on a rack or clothesline as we dont have a dryer. Our boys(all 3 even the 2 yr old) take the clothes off the rack or line and bring them for me to fold and put away ( this is everyone else's clothes because daughter does her own. The 5 year old is responsible for feeding and letting out the two dogs, he and his 4 yr old brother clean their own room and toy room, all three boys also in the summer popper scoop for the dogs, and the 5 yr old is learning to use a push mower. As they get older they will be responsible for different chores, such as my daughter will soon be responsible for the dishwasher completely and folding clothes and the 5 yr old will take her position at the hanging of clothes. They love helping, and the help is great because as a family of 6 soon to be 7 I can use all the help I can get! There is no age too young to start helping, the two year old loves to help and cries if anyone tries to stop him!