What's the best thing about having teens?

0 0

One of the best things about having teens is seeing some of the fruit that has come from the tougher choices i made when they were little... Those squeaky first violin lessons sucked - hearing them play now? Amazing. Listening to them sound out words laboriously on page after page as they learned to read was painful - reading books with them now and being able to discuss ideas about dystopic societies, plot, characters and creativity? Crazy fun. Allowing helpers in the kitchen equalled twice the work when they were little - now my "helpers" often take over the kitchen & are creative, capable cooks.
Having teens allows me a breathtaking look back in time - i'm more gracious with my thoughtless, fumbling teen self than i was before i began to watch my own sweet girls traipse through these years, it has softened me & made me a better mom.

1
9 0

Ask me after they've all left for college.

1
0 0

Anne, I like your pluck! I do believe you and I are the only two feeds on this site that isn't all about sweetness and light. You wanna know how awesome it feels when they go to college. You twirl...then you get the tuition bill, housing...etc. I love it when my kids go...it makes it that much more awesome when they come home. :)

0 0

Parenting teens is great because their interests are more similar to an adult's. I barely survived "The Barney Years" and the Teletubbies about made me lose it, but I'm enjoying watching movies and sports with them. Sharing those experiences has brought us closer.

0
0 0

That you see them grow up fast and all the crazy things they go through. Seeing them learn from there own mistakes! That's just the best part of being a teenager!

0
1 0

The best thing...let me see....NOTHING! Just kidding :) I like that we can hang out and talk about the things going on in their life. I like to see what type of people they are becoming while gently guiding their way. It's a jungle out there and our teens need love and guidance from us as their parents-not as friends. And though, they can come to us and talk about anything without being judged (I have to bite my tongue quite often) it's important that we as their parents have their best interests at heart.

0
0 0

Benadryl. Sending them off to college. Our oldest just left to the University of Washington...I'm counting the days till I can fling the next one up there. I choose to keep my Bean 7 forever. Therefor, she may not go off to college as then I will have nothing to blog about. I should have needle pointed this saying on a pillow. You cannot sneak a "sneak". Now can someone PLEASE show me how to needlepoint. Oh. May I borrow an extra pillow as well. With all of the social media out there it makes it almost impossible to not know the things you kinda should...and no, it's not okay to be facebook friends with their friends. In summation, having teenagers made my hair gray, my forehead sag but give me lots of things to talk about with my fellow moms who are also in this prison. :)

0
6 0

Teens are a challenge. Teens require parents to really listen, to discuss topics they may not have given much thought to, and to really step up the lessons to so that their teens are ready to move forward in life. The thing I like the best is watching teens step into their lives. It's beautiful to see.

0
0 32

It’s no secret... I am an extremely proud mama of my teen boys. Although every step of our journey has NOT been easy and we have been through our fair share of battles along the way, I think that all in all, we have loved, laughed and learned so much about each other and about life in general.

The best thing about having teens is watching them learn and grow into good, independent, responsible and respectful people who influence others to be the same type of people. I am confident that no matter what path my boys choose in life, they will be upstanding adults that will go out into the world and make an honest effort to contribute in a positive way. And for this Mama... that is as good as it needs to get! =)

0
1 1

The best thing about having teens is knowing that they are discovering themselves and that all of the challenges that they are going through are molding them into the young adult that they will become.

0
0 63

I think it's such a gift to see your child grow into an adult. Watching my teen learn to navigate school, friends, work and all of the other issues we face as adults is a privilege. I also love that I get to know him a bit more as a person, rather than just my son. He shares opinions, and we have conversations, and I get a glimpse into who he is on his own.

0
0 0

I really love seeing them grow! Teens are starting to become young adults and I enjoy seeing how their personalities develop along with their interests. I always encourage my teens to find what interests them and to develop and nurture that talent. I also love having teens around to help me with chores such as unloading groceries and preparing meals. they are learning a life skill and I am reaping the rewards!

0
0 0

I am thoroughly enjoying my children during these teenage years. My kids make me laugh every single day! Nothing gives me more pleasure than to have one of them crack such a smart, funny joke it makes me burst out laughing. Likewise, I love it when I say something that gets the same reaction out of one of them, because they've become a much tougher audience since the days when a fart joke could crack them up.

However I must admit, as they approach driving age, the fact they've become so hyper-attentive to my driving is not fun.

0
33 0

It is so incredible to be able to share my passions and joy with my teens. I love that they are old enough that we can discuss favorite books, I love being able to watch movies with them and get into discussions afterward. Simply put, I'm really enjoying the depth of the relationships we have. And I LOVE seeing my little people grow and develop into individuals. I enjoy everything about parenting teens...except, perhaps, the boys' laundry.

0
0 0

Uh, let's see.....lemme think a minute here..... hmmm .... just a sec, I'll think of something..... maybe I'll skip this question.....

0
0 26

Agree 110%. When they go off to college thinking they know everything there is to know about life, but that's when you get the phone calls that you can tell they are thinking" maybe she was right" feels great!

2 0

I have actually learned a great deal from my two daughters. Even though I miss them being younger, at this age, you can have more meaningful conversations. It has been a real learning experience.

0
0 0

Getting longer and longer glimpses of the adults they will become. In between moments of sheer mental torture, that's comforting.

0
5 9

Knowing how to balance giving them their freedom with keeping them safe. They are still learning how to make good decisions, and Moms need to help them learn the process. At the same time, they need to be able to make sound decisions when you aren't around to help them. You need to be able to trust in the upbringing you gave them, and giving them the chance to spread their wings and fly.

0
0 0

The best thing about having teens is the RELATIONSHIPS that we can build with these soon-to-be young adults. I absolutely LOVE the teen years (even though they are not always easy). A few years ago, we had 8 teens living at home (6 of our own bio. kids were teens, plus we had 2 "extras" for a year or so). I LOVE the midnight conversations. I LOVE being my kids' biggest cheerleader (at piano recitals, school musicals, sports, etc....). I LOVE "hanging out" with them and their friends (playing card games, sitting around a campfire, watching movies). I LOVE building relationships with their friends (who may or may not have healthy relationships with their own parents). While there is still a whole lot of parenting (instruction and discipline) that needs to take place during the teen years, I LOVE building on the friendships that will take us into adulthood.

0