When is a good age to pierce my daughter's ears?

Some parents pierce their children's ears when they are babies while others wait until they are teenagers. When should children get their ears pierced?

12 12

i honestly believe when the chlild asks, I was told to pirce my daughters ears because it "hurts" less when they are babies, i simply said well when my daughters come to me and say mommy can i get my ears pirced , then i will take them, i feel it is their body not mine so if they want their ears pirced when they are 5 i will take her, if she doesnt want it until she is 14 then fine!

13
0 10

i think that childer over 15 shode get there ears pierced :)

91 9

question why should they? Not everyone wants to wear earings. It should be upto the individual child.

13 10

It's not that it hurts less, it is that they are used to it by the time they are older and won't rip them out... And if they don't want to wear earrings when they are old it takes longer for them to close just in case they change their mind, For example I had my first earrings at three days old. And now im 21 I haven't worn earrings in a year and they are still open.

7 12

Did the baby say it hurts less? I sure she didn't, but because they are babies and can't say ouch and cry a lot anyway, we just chuck it up to, it doesn't hurt them as much and I'm quite sure it does, they just can't tell you.

7 7

I totally agree with waiting until she asks, you have to remember even though little, she is her own human and can decide things eventually for herself. let her be what or who she wants

193 30

If the kids wants to wear earrings later in life, fantastic. If they dont, they arent being forced to wear them. Its not like a permanent implant. As a baby, if you took the earrings out later in life, you wouldnt even SEE where an earring would fit.

91 9

I waited till my eldest daughter was old enough to decide for herself, about three. She wanted to look like mummy. I explained that it would hurt a little and she was fine. I will do the same for all children girl or boy. I think it should be up to them.

10
15 5

When you feel like it. I had my daughter's ears pierced at 3 weeks. I was never the victim of negative feedback, not that it would have mattered to me. The way I see it, if she didn't want the earrings when she was older, she didn't need to wear them. If she did, the holes were well established and I didn't have to worry about her not caring for them properly. Bottom line, it's your child, your choice. Whatever you are comfortable with is what you should do. Anybody that tells you otherwise simply needs to mind their own business.

7
1 90

It's good to pierced a child's ear when they re babies cos they wil not feel d pain nd u wil be able to take good care of it for them,i did my daughter's ear when she was a day old nd i had no problem taking care of it till date.

0 12

I agree with u ...sooner the better ... i did it when my daughter was 7 months old and had no problem.....

40 2

I had my daughter's ears pierced when she was a baby. Boy did I get evil looks and everyone seemed to feel the need to give me their opinion! She cried for a few seconds and has never had a single problem with them. That was 16 years ago. It's such a cultural taboo for some people and I'm not sure why. I think she looked cute and feminine...It made up for her lack of hair. lol.
There are bigger issues to worry about when raising children if you ask me, but I realize that people have strong opinions about this, which I find kind of amusing. We are an educated, respectable, middle class family....nbd. I felt more guilt and felt like I did more psychological damage when I made her sit on Santa's lap. Way more traumatic....

7
2 24

I didn't realize it was such an issue until I read this thread!

33 51

it is a big issue baby should not have ears pirce i have ask child specialist ad they said that if we do these thing we are not giveing the child right to there own body and that could be ver trumatic when they get older

40 2

On a side note: I am a sort of "child specialist". Bachelors degree in Elementary Education and a masters in Child Psychology. I have never heard that piercing a baby's ears will cause traumatic when they are older. If that were the case, a huge number of baby girls in the world would grow up with serious mental issues. It's a personal and cultural preference but I understand why parents would want to wait and I respect that without judgement. I am just not one of them and I assure you that neither myself nor my daughter are traumatized. ;)

24 3

Great answer!

16 0

Mrs Rachel Walts- what kind of 'child specialist' did you talk to? Does that mean if the child found out you gave him shots or took him to the doctor while she was young it could be 'traumatic' because you didn't give him the right to her own body? I for one got my daughter's ears done when she was 3 months old, it took a lot of the drama out of the whole issue. For one I was able to take care of them properly myself. She never had any problems, and if she wants to take them out when she's older then it's up to her...but I had my own ears done the day I was born and I never even gave them a second thought.

5 15

My daughter got hers pierced at 6 months and now that she's almost 2, she loves having new earrings put in. She's not traumatized from it. I wasn't traumatized when I was an infant. I figured it's easier to do it when she's small than have her chicken out halfway through it when she's older. From what I've heard/read over the years, most girls want their ears pierced when they get older anyway. Why not do it when they're young?

193 30

Lmao, "traumatic for the child when they are older" What about giving them way too much freedom, lest we "traumatize them" further? Have you SEEN this generation coming? Parents need to be the decision makers, and have a friggin backbone!

0 38

Olivia just got her ears pierced last weekend. She was a little nervous, but did awesome. She said it didn't hurt at all. I decided I was going to wait until she asked to get them done because she has to get enough shots that aren't her decision.

6
0 10

17 63

id say the earlier the better, i got my babies ears done at 3mths, she took it very well, where my niece had her pierced at 3 yrs old and IT WAS A NIGHTMARE, not only was she terrified but she wouldnt let her mom clean them after she got them pierced and they got infected and she had to remove them, so all that pain and fear for nothing, good luck,

5
5 15

That's the reason my parents got mine pierced and I got my daughter's pierced at such a young age.

9 84

I believe they should get them done when they ask and when they are going to take care of them themselves.

5
9 23

i had my daughters ears done when she was 3 months old. she cried for 5 seconds and was done with it. when shes older she can decide if she wants to leave them in or take them out.

5
33 51

i think pircing baby's ears is abusive to baby

40 2

Abuse? That's interesting. How do you feel about the circumcision of a boy?

33 51

that would be up to doctor and if he think it is in the best intrest of the child and his health that is a health issue nothing to do with piercing and that also would be a riligous issue and the bible does say werenot supost to pierce or tatoo our body's

12 16

i think it is worse to get a bay circumcised then to get their ears done,if it was abuse they would not let u get it done in chemists or beauty salons

40 2

In times past circumcision was thought to be a health issue but not any longer. There is no health risk in being uncircumcised. It is a tradition and yes, religious issue however in many cultures tattooing and piercing are religious issue. And that is perfectly fine, not everyone believes in "the bible" :) I realize that isn't the case in most of the point being discussed on this board but I am simply trying to make the point that people have different opinions that should be respected without judgement. Saying that piercing a baby's ears is abusive is a pretty harsh judgement to someone who has chosen to pierce their baby's ears for whatever reason. Saying it isn't right for you is fine, accusing someone of abuse is not.

5 15

Most doctors that I've talked to said there's no medical need for circumcision. My brothers aren't circumcised and they're perfectly healthy. Also, if we all did exactly what the Bible told us to, we'd be prude fearful creatures who don't do anything because we're afraid of God's wrath and going to Hell. I don't believe that God will send my daughter to Hell just because her ears are pierced or send me to Hell because I have tattoos AND my ears pierced. That's just ridiculous. God is supposed to be loving and forgiving, not angry and vengeful.

10 22

I think that the child should decided if and when they want their ears pierced.

4
27 5

I pierced my daughter's ears when she asked which was about 10 years.

3
34 2

I had mine pierced for my 6th birthday and it was a big deal to me. My Mom told me I could do it if I took care of my ears and I was so proud, I could do that. So i will let my daughter decide when she wants hers pierced. she just turned six but didn't ask yet. Maybe next year. But I had such a great experience choosing it as a child. I hope my daughter can experience that.

3
Profile Picture
7 12

When she is old enough to tell you wants her ears peirced.

3
591 33

When they are old enough to ask and responsible enough to take care of them.

There is no medical reason to pierce your child's ears, it is pure vanity on the part of the parent. Vanity doesn't justify to me the pain and discomfort it puts a child through, even if it is brief, not to mention the fact that it is a permanent mutilation that is unlikely to ever heal fully even if the child decides not to wear earrings later on.

And for the record, for those mums who have brought it up, I feel exactly the same way about circumcision. Painful, unnecessary and a personal choice.

3
7 12

oh circumcision, i was for it until I watched Pen & Teller BS and they had an episode about that. My husband said no and I agreed, My son hasn't been yet and he's just fine. I didn't start getting my ears pierced until I was 10, my dad and mom feel the same way as you guys. I wanted it by then since I was becoming more feminine and could take care of it and went through the pain when I didn't (closed and had to be re-opned ouch)

7 7

In BC circumcisions are not part of the health plan anymore, it is not done because it is not at the time a health issue; however, if you want it done you may pay for it. Now for an opinion i am a true believer of trying not to judge until i am in the situation

5 18

my daughters ears were pierced at about one month old. I was the one who took care of her every need and so I knew her ears would be ok. She was too little to pull at them or fight about proper care of. now she is 16 and never goes a day without her earrings. she has to take them out for cheer but thats all. I know everyone is different but in our case it was the best for us that her ears were pierced as a baby.

3
58 29

I've always been told that your ears aren't fully grown until 8 years old.
In any case, let your child decide if they're ready and if you think its suitable.

3
321 14

I will leave it until such time as my daughters ask before I consider getting their ears pierced. I really don't like seeing babies and toddlers with their ears pierced as they're not old enough to make that decision for themselves. Plus, school rules are that children cannot wear earrings to school so is there really any point? My eldest daughter is 8 years old and she's not asked yet so I'm not going to mention it.

3
13 10

What state do you live in because where I live it is okay for the child to wear earrings to school as long as they are not huge loops and cannot be pulled on easily....

193 30

I live in Canada and I have never heard of schools banning earrings. Usually the stricter or private schools will say sleepers only, no fancy stuff dangling or flashing or making noise (wut?) Dainty 1 inch gold hoops is generally the norm. Or studs. Times when its dangerous for them to be in (Gym, etc) they are asked to be taken out or taped up to keep out of the way. I am interested to know how the parents on that school board came to the decision to ban earrings completely lol

290 26

its a personal decision for each childs parents, there is not a right or wrong answer to this question.. many people have there infants ears get peirced very young and they are perfectly fine. Me personally, my daughter is 2 and does not have them done, I will wait until she is old enough to ask me, and I will have no problem taking her when she asks. But like I said, I find nothing wrong with parents having them done younger.

2
48 58

My mother had my ears pierced when I was 5 weeks old.. To this day (25 yrs old) I still wear earrings.. Never had issues with them...During a young teen phase I didn't wear any earrings for about 4 yrs..I wear them all the time now. My daughter is 13 months old and I had hers pierced at 12 weeks.. I don't see anything wrong with it... Its girlie and cute!! It was my opinion, what others thought didn't matter to me.. My child my choice!

2
48 58

I also see it as... Unless you want me judging your parenting choices, don't judge mine!!

5 15

I agree with you. Your child, your choice. I honestly don't care whether or not other women find it barbaric. My daughter loves her earrings and I'm glad I got hers done when she was 6 months old. She would've wanted them done when she was older anyway. I just saved her from remembering how much it would hurt. Now if she wants them pierced twice, that'll be her decision, not mine.

146 0

When they're old enough to understand the risks, consequences, and the necessity of responsibility in maintaining them. While lobe piercings are less risky than other piercings, it's still a puncture wound in your child, with risks - some very serious - and I don't see why you would want to put your child, your infant, through that for the sake of vanity.

I don't offer my opinion about the subject to people who don't ask for it, but sincerely, I believe that a child is better served by making their own choices about what happens to their body.

2
81 28

i got my daughter's ears pierced when she was 3 months. She cried for 5 seconds and that was it. She didn't even know they were there. I could have dressed my daughter in head to toe pink and people would still ask me how old my son was.(due to her lack of hair) i would do it again in a heartbeat....I have my nose pierced and my lip and my 3 year old wants that too because she wants to be "pretty like mama" to each their own.

2
55 0

My daughter was about 3 months old and if she wants a second hole that will wait until she at least 12.

1
0 14

I had both girls done as babies, it was so much easier for us toclean and twist them as required. No problems except they screwed up one hole,they marked them,they looked perfect,she happen to be sleeping so she pierced one ear which woke her up cryed for 2 seconds on dads shoulder and they did the other one just fine....GUESS which one they screwed up,the one when she was sleep goes straight down then back so we use fish hooks as back IF she wears them we are trying to get her to let it heal closed and re-pierce when she is ready. Im still glad we did it tho because they looked like little girls instead of little boys whuch really helped my younger one even in all pink they would say boy or girl????. C'mon u color blind?? My parents waited until I was ready at 7 and let me tell you they did one and it was the end of the world I would not let them do the other one. So they took it out and I waited till i was 12 and ready for the pain, i understood why then.

1
0 14

I read thru the comments after and 1) MY CHILD MY CHOICE and two the biggext reason is so that they don't touch them with their dirty hands or pull and tug at them when they are done as a baby they don't realize it truly, they are always there always have been they don't touch them AND lastly if she doesn't like them she can take them out and let them close,period. (had to add)

0 0

I pierced my daughters ears when she was 10 weeks old, and I'm glad i pierced them when she was that young. She cried for about 10 seconds and then stop. Shes now 8 months and never had a problem with them. I don't regret my choice at all.

1
36 5

Go with your gut. As long as you follow cleaning instructions and she doesn't fuss with them -probably won't because they'll be a little tender- there's no issue.
If anyone gives you 'negative' feedback tell them to shove it. She's not their daughter

1
3 1

My daughter had her ear pierced 2 days after I gave birth to her. For me, it is better to have your daughter's ear pierced while she's still baby. Because I think they wouldn't feel the pain much and also, their lobes are still and much more soft while still baby.. :)

1
33 51

the hospitel i was at said never pierce infant ears cause is can cause alot of disesas and infections and more health problems for her

0 0

I feel like when they are old enough to ask for it. I would never force my child to pierce their ears, nor did I take them as babies. It is their ears, and they can do it if they choose. I also like the fact that they are older when it is done so they can help take care of the cleaning and responsibilites that come with having them pierced.

1
0 0

When the child is ready. It's gonna hurt and make that clear!!!! good luck!!!! We are doing child #2 this weekend. From the voice of experience, go somewhere that does both ears at the same time. I thought we were gonna leave with one ear pierced and the other one not.

1
23 23

My oldest got hers done around 4y she wanted to go. My youngest will be 2y next month and I took her to do hers last week because she was trying to pull mine out and getting into her sister's and trying to put them into her ear canal. She was more upset/ticked that two strange women were messing with her than anything else. She has done wonderful with them!!!! It's a personal choice my hubby would have rather I waited until he saw his lil sweetums with flowers in her ears lol ;)

1
2 4

lol i was right on what most moms have answered. I myself did my daughter's ears when she was 10 months old. To be honest i know she didnt make the choice herself but i just thought "well it's easier to do it now cause if i wait till she gets older she'll probably say she wants them but then i'll never get her to go through with it being the pain of it". I've also thought if my daughter decides when she's older she doesnt want them she can just take them out and let the holes close up, lol it's not like i've mutilated her by making the choice for her now.

1
9 0

We pierced my little girl's ears when she was just over 2. It was long enough that she understood what she was doing and I knew she wouldn't pull them out.

0
0 0

I actually got mine this year, in february to be exact. I am 12 (yes, I know XD) but I think anyone can get them in this age, maybe even earlier like, when they are still 10, or even 9. I think it depends on the person. If you are going to do it, however, you should ask the child if they are sure, and say it hurts a little, and may get infected. When you are convinced that they're ready and up for it, you should go ahead and do it.

0
139 0

My daughter got hers pierced for Christmas when she was 10 years old.

0
15 0

I begged my mom to pierce my ears when I was just 4 years old, and she did. My sweet grandmother was horrified, but I think it worked well for us because my mother was very diligent about putting the medicine on my ears every night, and making sure I wore earrings so the holes didn't close up. I had friends who got their ears pierced later, and got infections, or had them close up because their parents trusted them to do the upkeep, but they didn't.

0
100 46

I got a lot of pressure from both grandmothers to pierce my daughters ears. I chose to ignore both and waited until she asked. She just got them pierced last year a li before she turned 4.

0
9 0

I had both my daughters' ears pierced when they were six weeks old at the hair salon where I have been going for years. The lady who runs the place does the ear piercing there and when I told her I was having my first child and knew it was going to be a girl, she very strongly advised me to let her pierce the baby's ears at six weeks old as she had done with her granddaughter just a couple of weeks earlier. She said she knew it was best for them to have it done as babies. At that age, ear piercing is a very simple procedure and baby hardly cried at all. It is left to the mother to look after the ears while they are healing but I did not find this to be a problem. With our second daughter, I did not have to think twice before having her ears pierced at the same age. I got a little criticism from people I thought were friends but just ignored it. My girls love wearing earrings now they are older - if they want to take them out when they are adults, they can do but I think this is unlikely. If you have a baby daughter and are considering having her ears pierced, I would say 'go for it ! ' It is very unlikely you will regret your decision. Much more likely you will be wondering why you were worrying about it.

0
17 7

It depends on the child. My daughter had hers done a month ago aged 2 and a half as she asked for them done. We passed the shop and I said do you want them done and she said yes. She chose her own earrings (the most expensive ones of course!) and they pierced them both at the same time. She didn't cry was going to then the lady gave her a lollipop and it was all forgotten. I've cleaned them twice a day with minimal fuss and they have been fine. I'm glad she's had them done now so they won't heal up when she has to take them out for school. If when she is older she wants to take them out she can. She loves her earrings and thinks she is a princess.

0
0 0

im twelve, and got my ears pierced when i was three. my sister got hers when she was 2. until i was 7, i wore two tiny gold earrings, since gold doesn't infect the ears. after that, i told my mom i wanted 'big girl earrings' and we got new earrings. right now i have lots of pairs that i wear regularly. i think anywhere from 1-3 is a good age, because it would be easier and you would get used to them. until you want to wear other pairs, you could just make her wear a simple pair. i don't get the big deal about piercing them early? is there a harm? if you wait until they are 8 or older, they could possibly get scared. and if they don't want to wear earrings, that's fine, just don't wear them, no biggie.i think that piercing them from 1-8 (younger if you prefer) is a good choice.

0
4 0

i personally dont think it is right for a mother to make that kind of choice for there son or daughter , it is simply a acsessorie and is unnessery pain for your child ,my son is 2 years old and i wouldnt dream of putting him through that and its not even cute its wrong in my opinion but everybody has there own i just dont see why people can not wait until your child has 1 too x

0
9 32

I was discussing this with a friend of mine who used to work in a tattoo/ piercing place and she gave me her opinion on it and I totally agree and have decided it's the route I'm going to take. She explained that because the guns they use to pierce ears with are plastic they can not be properly sterilized. So even though the earrings they are putting in are sterile the gun isn't and you can have a lot more problems with the piercings due to that. She said for her daughters she will wait until they want to have them pierced and can handle having them done with the needle because the needles are metal they can be fully sterilized between uses. I had my ears done with a gun when I was in grade 9 which was when I wanted them... they took a long time to heal and get infected easily. Not sure if that's just me or if it had something to do with the gun. But the logic makes sense to me so that's what I plan to do with all three of my girls!

0
193 30

Rachel, any proper piercing establishment worth their salt will use needles, not guns. The guns have been all but outlawed everywhere. That's why when my daughter is old enough to get hers done, we wont be going to Claires or Ardenes. Parlours like the one your friend works at are fantastic places to get them done, because they use the sterile needles. The guns can do permanent damage to the tissue in your ear as well.

193 30

I would have pierced my daughters ears when she was born, but the thought never even came to mind until she was over a year old! Now I have thoughts of when I got MINE pierced, I was in grade 3, and the school nurse ended up taking them out because I had fiddled with them so much, they got infected and swollen at school.
A baby wont really fuss with them, and they will heal nicely and quickly with daddy or mommy being in charge of it all.
Anytime they can crawl or grasp things properly, is when it has become a bad idea. Kids hands are a cespool of germs and nasty. I dare you to go lick your kids hand right now. You wont, right?!
Mine comes home and tells me how many worms she collected at recess. NOTHX.
She can get hers done when shes old enough to do all her homework without me asking, thank you!

0