Which chores are okay to ask your children to do, and at what ages?

We all want to teach our children to take care of themselves... eventually. But how do we know which chores are okay for them to learn, and at what ages?

2 10

Hi there - I copied this for you from my household management file, from these notes, I drew up chore charts for my kids. The older ones are included in the process and just love getting more responsibility!
Just as a further note - kids need to also know why they have to do chores, since I explained to them that I am preparing them for life as an independent adult, they tend to be more positive about the whole thing. I also reward them for their chores with points and when they have enough, they get rewards :)

Hope it helps..

Age Appropriate Chores for Kids

2-3 years
 Help make beds
 Help feed pets
 Pick up toys & books
 Help set the table
 Pick up clothes
 Help clear the table
 Take laundry to laundry room
 Use the handheld vacuum

4-5 years
 All of the above plus:
 Make their bed
 Set the table
 Help clean their bedrooms
 Clear the table
 Help unload dishwasher
 Help put away groceries
 Empty garbage cans

6-8 years
 All of the above plus:
 Clean their bedroom
 Take care of pets
 Sort Laundry
 Take out garbage
 Fold & put away laundry
 Vacuum & sweep
 Unload dishwasher

9-12 years
 All of the above plus:
 Clean the bathroom
 Load dishwasher & wash dishes
 Wash the windows
 Help with cooking & meal planning
 Wash the car
 Mop the floor
 Rake the yard
 Run washer & dryer
 Babysit siblings

13-17 years
 All of the above plus:
 Clean the kitchen
 Laundry
 Change the bedding
 Prepare meals
 Neighbourhood jobs
 Babysit
 Mow the lawn

58
15 25

I'm sorry you have your child at 2/3 doing houseworks you should be notified to docs let your child be a child and you be the responsible mother sure pick up toys however taking clothes to laundry room that's shocking your child isn't even at school yet at this age

2 10

As I said I use this as a guide. If you read properly and with understanding, you would have read that the sentence says "HELP" pick up "HELP" clean etc. The word HELP does not actually mean that they have any responsibility. HELP practically means "Please hand mommy your towel, see we're hanging it up". And as for 'reporting me to the doctor" , my older children are high honours students, both academically and in sport. For me, my system works. I shared it because a question was asked. You don't have to agree with it and you really don't have to apply it either.

41 29

Why can't a 2/3 year old "help"? I have seen kids that age throw a fit to get one they want. When you give in you teach them to do it again. If at that age they understand what they are doing to get something they want, why wouldn't they be able to help out in other ways? At that age they even like to help out! By 3 they are in pre-school type setting classes many times (if you choose to put them in one). Now, I don't expect my 3 year old to do it all the time but many times she pitches in because she see's everyone else doing it (There are 5 kids in my house!) But there is no reason that if she can pull out a toy why I can't expect her to put it away when she's done! The child is being a child and it's her moms job to teach. A little learning never hurt anyone. When you drop a child off at childcare you expect them to obey, they are taught how to obey, this is no different!

8 11

I do not see any difference between telling a 2 year old that toys belong in a toy box and dirty clothes belong in a laundry basket.

0 2

My 2 1/2 year old loves to help mommy with laundry. I hand him smaller clothes from the washer and he throws them in the dryer. I will say okay now shut the door, and mommy will turn it on. He will even want to throw some towels or small things in the front load washer with me. Children at that age love to "help". His 5 yr old brother helps match socks or pick up toys and my 13 and 10 year old boys do more like take out trash or unload dishwasher and feed the cat.

0 3

I see it as no matter how young they are, they will pick up on things you do. I think you should encourage them to help out! They wont get frustrated from lack of entertainment and they wont be up your butt so to speak because they want the attention your not giving them due to chores. There are plenty of little ways to make it fun for everybody in the household. My 19 month old loves to help me do things around the house, as of late she is trying to tell me what to clean. The earlier the better!

0 4

I don't see any problem with these chores. They need to learn how to do things. My son tells me on his own that hea wants to help me. So he brings his small monkey hamper of clothes that has a strap so he can carry it on his shoulder and brings it to me since he was 3 he is now 4 and he does all of the things listed above. He likes doing things in his own and if he can I let him. Yesterday he wanted to wash dishes so I gave him all the plastic stuff to wash even though I had to go back and wash them again but I'm not going to discourage him from helping. My sis in law didn't like her kids to do anything and now that they teenagers she can't make them do anything.

0 4

Um, Dennie Seale - my kids (2 and 4) fight over who gets to move laundry from washing machine to dryer. They LOVE putting silverware away while I do the breakables. Among other things, it lets them continue to interact with their parent while necessary chores are getting completed rather than being seemingly shunned from their parent ("go play!")

0 0

Love the list. Thank you for sharing in such detail. Very helpful. Your response is beutifully and as clearly and kindly stated as your list. I hope can manage half your composure raising my child.

2 22

@ Debbie - Eventually those kids have to grow up and become adults and as parents our job is to raise successful adults. I agree that kids should get to be kids but they should also start learning about responsibility because one day they will live on their own and have to do things for themselves. If you wait until they are teenagers to have them help out I guarentee that you are going to run into problems. They have responsibilities at school too no matter what age they are...should they be allowed to skip out on that stuff too? That is what has lead us to where we are today with a bunch of people in their late teens early twenties who think that that they are entitled to everything and shouldn't have to work for what they want.

0 40

I agree my 4 year old does help around the house and when her sister who is 1 year old get to be 2 she is going to start helping to I can't stand when parents or social workers say that children 2-4 don't understand because they do and it's nothing wrong with starting early to teach your child to pick up after themselves because when they get older they won't refuse to do it. My 4 year old enjoys emptying the trash from the bathrooms, and helping me and my husband sort out the laundry. Kids that have no structure run all over their parents as you see with screaming kids in stores and malls :-)

2 2

I really like your guide and I am so copying it to use for my kids as well. I'll also be sharing it with my friends. I have no doubt that your kids are well rounded cause of this. Well done mum.

0 12

@Jennifer - Super list - well done and thanks for sharing! @Debbie I'm sorry you are sorry for Jennifer because you will be back onto circle of moms wondering why your kids won't help around the house and then Jennifer and all the rest of us who think its ok for kids to do some work will be SORRY for you. As for reporting her to docs, do you not think they are busy enough with "real" serious cases of abuse???

1 2

Jennifer I think you on the right track- kids can still be kids and make their own beds,or be helped to make their beds. My view is teach them young and through example, making it fun and rewarding and as they get older it'll be second nature. This raises kids to be independant and leaders, giving them life skills is priceless and stands kids in good stead. Well done and keep it up,you'll reap valuable rewards in your children...

0 32

The above suggestions to HELPING are exactly how I was raised. I see nothing wrong with the idea of these ages helping &/or doing these tasks. The younger you start some of these the better off the child/teen/adult they will be. I wished my husband had been expected to help out more when he was growing up ~ it would sure help out in keeping our home kept up better. It's the simple things like just picking up after yourself that helps out the most. I have my children who are 5 and 3 do quite a few of what you have suggested. They just got done helping me fold towels....they WANTED to help....again, it starts early and it is a good thing.

0 6

I see nothing wrong with having a 2/3 year old help with the laundry. My kids help mommy sort. Mom lets the children take out the clothes and they put them in the piles mommy says to put them. They want to help, in fact, I say if they want to do the chore, let them (under supervision of course). Don't force them as they may not be ready for that chore, yet. But picking up toys, putting laundry in there baskets, and stuff like that, teaches responsibility.

0 19

I agree with you Jennifer. My children obviously pull out all their toys and books, but I always encourage them to put things away with my help. It takes 10 times as long but in the end it is teaching them a positive thing. I also ask my 3 year old son to put his cup in the sink when he's finished or pop his dirty clothes in the laundry basket. You can tell that he is proud of himself when you say 'well done, thanks for helping'. In my home it is a team effort and everyone chips in.

5 0

have no prob with 2-3 year old helping i think that is fair as at 2 years 4 months when they start pre school they have to do tidy up time i think it helps prepare them for it .... the only one i didnt agree with was babysit siblings...at 9-12 years :S i know some parents do but i would never leave that responsibility on a child even if they are mature and responsible ..nooo i wont even let my teen babysit my other 2

41 29

My 12 year old loves to watch her other 4 siblings. I only leave her for short periods. I don't see why they can't? That is part of family. Everyone helps in what way they can. Babysitting teaches just as much as chores does. As they get older they will take on babysitting jobs. Not sure why this would be an issue!?

0 17

Great list! btw... I really appreciate how respectfully you responded to the negative comment. Keep up the great parenting! =)

38 6

EXCELLENT list! And so right on! I have 5 kids and basically went with a version of this list as they were growing. All 5 of my boys 10-24 know how to take care of their belongings and not a single one thinks they were not allowed to be kids. "helping" is a far cry from child labor! And when younger a LOT of their helping felt MORE like playing! For putting toys away we made a game out of it. How fast can go? How many things can you get into the toy box? Etc....

1 2

I think that, by not training your children to "help" with the household chores, you are doing them a disservice! Therefore, shouldn't you be reported to docs (department of child services)? Children don't magically, at age 18 go "ok, I'm an adult now, so I know how to run a household if I want to move out." They need to be shown how to do laundry, or the dishes, or cook a meal. The earlier you start them, learning these things, the more natural it will be for them to carry out these essential life skills. I appreciate Jennifer sharing her ideas on ages for which chores ideas. It helps me, to know my kids don't have it tough...... I know when I was younger, we had chores, but kids now a days seem to have a feeling of entitlement. And I would like my kds not to feel they are owed anything, other than what they earn. So, they need to be productive members of our family, so they can be productive members of society later in life. And not be a drain on society. So, again, thanks Jennifer!

2 10

Hello Everyone, I am too happy to share this list for you. I didn't draw it up myself, I only applied it with great success. It came from somewhere on the internet. I researched and entire houselhold organisation file - they work wonders! And I have to add, that now my children are getting older, it is lovely to see the habits of taking responsibility for yourself and your surroundings have become habit. I add chores as they get older - my oldest son asked me for needle and thread this morning, he wanted to mend his shorts (that WAS funny, since he's never even threaded a needle haha!)

2 0

I am very impressed. I'm not the only mother out therethat believes chores are important for children. Now as far as Debbie's comment. Is 2/3 a young age for starting them on chores. I will agree with that however, teaching them responsibility is not will they get it and understand it at that age not off the bat. However, after creating and teaching them routine such as you made the mess n now you have to clean it up or come help me with this isn'tanything more than spending time with them and teaching them cleaning up iisn'ta punishment its a good thing. So I'mvery glad you posted this chart with age aappropriate chores. Y'all rock!

0 8

You know that's great but what do you do when you got two with bi-polar and they think they have to have everything done for them

41 29

I have 5 children. 13, 9, 7, 5, 3. They all chip in. My 3 year old doesn't have any set chores but she will go up to the chore chart and pretend she is reading it to do her chores. She will "help" put away the kid dishes because she sees the older ones do it. I have her help to what she can clean her room that she shares with her 5 year old sister. But I obviously don't expect much. The rest have daily chores (from after meals to getting things ready for school, etc.) To Sat. chores when we actually "clean". I can't pick up after them all, it's just too much and I'm doing a disservice if I don't teach them for when they are on their own or married with their own children. And boys are capable of many things too...not just the girls!

12
3 20

I agree with you Jocelyn 200% I have five children and yes they do need to have chores, I started teaching as soon as the can walk both girls and boys

8 11

I think it is important for them to learn to do things for themselves. My son is 9 and my daughter is 7, they pack their own lunch in the mornings, empty the dishwasher and clean their rooms and put their laundry away. I feel it is important for them to know that being a part of a family means all pulling together to get stuff done, for example I could spen all day Saturday cleaning the house or we could all chip in get it done by lunchtime and spend the afternoon having fun out and about somewhere.

12
22 124

Great list. My two, almost 5 and 16 months help a lot. Although the almost 5 year old is not into helping or doing much of anything these days.

Debbie Seale- Really????? Report her to docs really. All kids want to help, so let them. Its not about letting kids be kids its about giving a hand. Its not hard to take an extra few seconds to put clothes in/out of the washer/dryer if your child wants to help. So report me too because my 16 month old helps with laundry and dishes at times.

10
0 55

I start having my children help as soon as they show interest. My daughter that is 21 months will throw a fit if I don't let her throw something away. If I am cleaning up the living room and ask her to pick up a piece of trash and put it in the trash bag, she does it. I agree that children need to begin at an early age and pick up age-appropriate tasks. This same daughter also likes to help with putting the laundry in and taking it out of the washer and dryer. If she is capable and willing, I'm going to let her do it!

8
4 0

True ladies catch them young it will make the responsible people in life.

0 40

I think ALL kids should begin helping with chores as early as they can take out toys and walk! Teaching them to put their toys away when they are done playing with them is a great way to get them started. I have a friend that does not believe that boys should have chores because it isn't up to them to keep the house clean when they are adult men; it is their wife's job. BUT what if they never get married? Chores should start as early as possible and kids should know everything from dusting, to doing dishes, to cooking, to making the bed, to ironing, to cleaning a bathroom THOROUGHLY, and beyond!

7
0 6

i wish i'd done this from the ages of 2-3 yrs as i'm now learning what a battle it is, my kids do nothing around the house to help, they are 8 and 11 years old, they scream snd shout when i ask them to put their belonging away when they can't find clean clothes its my fault as i've not done the washing as i've told them time and again i've asked them to bring me all your dirty washing and i get a pile of clean washing with maybe 1 dirty sock in it i can't even see their bedroom carpets for the mess in their rooms i'm going to make a chore list using this guide line to help get them to tidy up after themselves and hopefully i'll gain some respect from them too

5
2 22

There are 4 kids in our household 11, 8, 5 and 15months. With the exception of the 15 month old they all have chores right in line with what is on the list. There is no reason that kids shouldn't help out. I work full time and if anyone thinks I am coming home to clean up my kids room they must be on drugs. Even at 2 or 3 my kids had to help with certain things and as they got older they got chores to match.

Right now my 11 year old is responsible for cleaning the kitchen after dinner and doing 1 load of laundry a week, plus helping us with any other laundry that needs to be done. She also helps watch her younger siblings.

The 8 year old cleans the cats litter box, cleans the kitchen after breakfast (he is just starting to learn how to do the dishes), makes his bed and takes out the trash.

Our 5 year old is responsible for feeding our cats, taking out the recycling and making her bed.

All that while also being responsible for cleaning up after themselves nightly.

5
40 36

You need to start young. My daughters are 4 and I've had them cleaning up their stuff since they were two. I call it clean up and we sing a song and clean up so they learn what they need to do.

5
0 10

I have 4 kids - 5 year old twins (boy and girl), a 4 year old boy and a 3 year old boy. They all take their dirty clothes to the hamper, put away their clean and folded socks and underwear, straighten their beds, take their dishes from the table after meals and pick up their toys. They have been doing these things since the age of 3. I am trying to teach them that if they get something out, they need to put it away when they are finished with it and to clean up after themselves. The twins love to help unload the dishwasher - mainly putting away the silverware. They also like to help with the laundry - sometimes putting the sorted clothes into the washer or moving the clothes from the washer to the dryer and helping fold the clean clothes(I have to re-fold a good portion of them when the kids aren't looking, but I am not going to tell them no when they want to help). My oldest son frequently asks if he can mop the floor and my daughter loves to dust with the swiffer. The younger two like to help load the dishwasher. There is still lots of fun and play time. I think it is a good idea to start early with them so that when they get older it won't be so hard to get them to do chores.

4
0 0

First of all I got tired of cleaning up after my child. I make her pick her clothes up.
She is mommys helper. She helps with the dishes, she puts her clothes away after laundary.
She is to clean her plate after she eats. Mommy has to remember she is just a kid too. I just want to teach her to be responsiable bc Im not doing everything for her. I think it is a great start. Its better to teach them while their young. They say.

4
0 17

Fantastic, what a great list! Children need to be taught at an early age that being part of a family envolves helping out. As for the crazy lady, have fun being a maid the rest of your life!

3
0 11

This is so helpful Ms. Jennifer... thank you so much for sharing. =)

3
0 8

My husband & I created a list of chores that are expected because we are a family & we take care of each other & our household. Similar to the one below. Then we created with the kids "extra chores" for which they can earn money. These are a choice if they say no when the chore is offered, they don't earn the money. Extra chores (again consider the age in relation to the chore)...the the 12yr. old if he cuts the grass, rakes, or edges he can earn money,again, if he chooses not to do them he doesn't earn the money. The amount we assigned each extra chore is between $.50-$2.00 this way we don't go broke in the process of teaching them to earn money they can spend on what they want like that ice cream from the ice cream truck come summer (which are expensive!) or that new toy/video game!

2
0 0

It's important to start your kids early or they'll be like mine and whine every time you ask them to do something. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having kids help as soon as they can. You're crazy if you think expecting your children to be responsible warrants a report to the doctor!

1
67 0

My 4 year old puts her clothes in the hamper and she loves to dust and use our swiffer sweeper. She also has to clean her place after a meal (they make her do that at school as well). She also helps me fold the laundry by sorting the socks and handing me things to be folded. My 18 month old puts her shoes away when I ask her too. They both love helping and I let them when they can.

1
1 5

My kids are 5 1/2 and almost 4. For the past year they have been responsible for putting toys where they belong, putting clothes away (dirty in basket, clean hung or folded and in the closet), clearing their mess after meals. They get no money or rewards for these, they are expected of them. Extra chores to make money include cleaning out a vehicle, cleaning their bathroom (chemical free) cleaning the living room, cleaning the coat closet out, putting away towels or pretty much any thing else I think theyre capable of and ask them to do. Sometimes they wash dishes but I spend a lot of time settling fights over whos turn it is to wash so I dont let them anymore.

1
354 5

my daughter is almost 2 and she's been picking up her toys at the end of the day since she was 8 months old (with lots of help back then). at 2, she is responsible for picking up her toys and her books and putting her dirty clothes in the hamper. she sometimes helps with dishes and laundry but that's only if she's in the room and showing an interest in helping, it's not expected of her at this age. she is old enough to be held accountable for her things, same as mom and dad.

0
1 0

I also have 5 children 14, 12, 5, 4, 17 months and they all help. My 17 month old has been helping her 14 yr old brother unload the dishwasher for a few months now. She knows where everything goes and what she can not reach she points to. My 14 year old has autism and is nonverbal yet he does laundry, can cook simple meals, unload dishwasher, help to take care of the pets and a number of other things. I figure if they show an interest in something from a young age let them take part. Much less hassle down the road. Am I still the mom? yes, do I still have lots of things to do in my household? yes. Like rewashing the windows and floors the 5 and 4 year old wanted to do, so they did.

0
4 0

I have four kids...yes its a full time job! I was always overwhelmed and felt like I wasn't doing a good job at anything. I researched cleaning recommendations for frequencies and then came up with a plan using index cards. My friends loved it and I made them for them and eventually began selling them online. You can check it out at www.springcleanyearround.blogspot.com
It saved my life!! It has recommendations for chores children can do at their age too. I award them with video game/ipod time/computer games. No chores, no screen time! They beg for some chores!!

0
150 10

Hi , A very good question and one many parents aske themseleves often, how, when, and what! Firstly as a parent you are the most likely to know your child the best, so doing what other parent do might not be the right thing for your child. I would always sugeest you listen to your child,they have a way of showing you when they are ready and can clearly understand what is being asked of them.
For example a toddler will understand how to help put their toys away when finished playing, this does not have to be a demand ,it can be in many cases part of the game and a reward given for doing it, two year olds love to help as it gives them confidence and so many other skills while helping, helping to put rubbish in the bin, folding napkins, putting dishes in the cupboard can all be seen as helping games ,which can be encouraged with rewards. As your child gets older you should be able to 'negotiate' your chores and rewards with them, asking them for example to put their clothes away tidy, help to make their bed, and put their toys away. As I said not all children thankfully are the same and you as the parent will understand much better when you feel they are ready to tackle bigger chores, always remeber to give lots of praise for any effort to help and keep the reward chart age appropriate. Good luck !

0
16 24

I don't know at what age we gave chores, but the girls do have them.. They are slobs and so is their father.. However, he wants them to be responsible as I do. He is severely disabled with many auto immune diseases among other things. I was in a car accident 22 months ago and now have 4 herniated disc in my neck, carpal tunnel, Fibromyalgia, Plantar Fascitis.. No, I'm not depressed... Lol
That being said, we try to have the girls help as much as possible. We have two girls ages 5 & 7. They empty dishwasher after I remove all sharp objects, they fold some laundry, hang up as much as possible and put everything away. Take garbage out, but new bag in can. We make them put away their dishes after every meal, scoop litter box and feed cats.. The love to help daddy bake and cook (mommy doesn't).

I think it's important to learn to be responsible. You can only hope and pray that they do so when visiting anyone any where outside of your home. I can only hope that my girls are cleaner when their older, than they are now.

Thank you for the list.. I'm a teacher and plan on making one up using our Boardmaker software for pictures.. I can't wait:)

0
5 0

i think it is good to give chores my youngest is 6 but i have always made it fun even as little if i am doing the dusting i sprayed a bit of polish and they all had a duster they loved helping mummy its good it gives them self achievement i dont say you have to do your chores but it is a good way of having fun and now my 6 year old is always asking me if he can wipe up and my 8 year old likes to help now and then too... i like to make it a spending time together thing too i always help the younger ones tidy up their room then they enjoy it if you say go tidy your room they wont because thats an order it all depends how it is done it does teach responsability too also the mum on here that got told she was wrong to let her 2-3 year old have chores i dont think it is wrong at all as long as its made fun and not forced if you think about it when kids go to pre-school at 2 yrs 3 months they have tidy up time there .....chores can be fun and kids like to do them......until they hit the teenage years .... then you have a problem ...my teen will only tidy his room when he is creeping for something or wants something now at 16 he is old enough to be responsible for his own room i dont go in there but his only chore at the moment because of gcse's this year is to keep his room tidy and if he hasnt he doesnt get his allwoence at the weekends ...... cleaning can be a whole learning experience .... although things like making cups of tea i am paranoid about but i remember when i was in brownies at age 11 i was making cups of tea for my tea making badge although kids and kettles scare me at any age! ...ps my 6 year old knows how to put a wash in the washingmachine !!! and they both fight over who is going to put the washing liquid in and the fab conditioner who is going to turn the dial and who is going t press the button ...lol so make sure you have lots of patience when introducing kids to chores .....oh and they love helping wash the car xx

0
0 7

Love the List, thank YOU!

0
0 12

Toddlers needs to learn to put away their toys when done playing with them,at the age 5 they can take the trash out by 10 they can do dishes and their laundry ,some yard work or sitting siblings.

0
1 17

My daughters are 3 and 4 1/2 both of them have to put their dishes in the sink, pick up their toys, help when asked and put their clothes in the laundry bag after they have had a bath. So far I have not had any problem with them getting these done. Everyday they get a check mark on the chore sheet and at the end of the week they get a star. I have to figure out what they will get when they complete one side of the chore sheet. :)

0
0 9

My daughters are 8 and 5. I have them cleaning their room before going to sleep nightly. They also are able to assist with kitchen chores like rinse some dishes and also help load the dishwasher. They are also helping with some prep work for cooking. They also do a number of different chores. Then list mentioned above are age-appropriate. All of these chores cumulatively are not being done daily in my household. I don't wear my kids out by cleaning, etc they really enjoy chores and are eager to learn and be able to do new things. In my opinion this only helps them to be responsible adults down the line. None of this is harsh or unheard of I think it's a great thing.

0 5

I believe that children want to help; we as parents typically stop them as it takes more time with their help. My youngest daughter wanted to "make" dinner when she was 5. She sat on the counter while I chopped and diced the makings of the salad, and after she had washed her hands and passed the "smell" test she picked up the vegetables and put them in the bowl and tossed the salad. When the rest of the family sat down for dinner, she proudly announced she had made the salad! Even though it may take longer let them help you make the bed, they can get into that far corner easier anyway! If you let them help when they are young, they won't complain as much when they are teens!

1 2

I think it's great to get them started early. My daughter showed interest early in cleaning. At almost 8, she helps a lot in the kitchen with cooking, putting things away and slowly learning to put dishes in the dishwasher. She will clean her room an put laundry away with supervision. She has SPD so I need to keep her on task or she gets distracted. We do things in short time windows to break it up. 20 mins of cleaning or homework or whatever and then fun time. And thanks for the list. I will go over it with my daughter tonight and let her pick some things.

0 17

Slightly shocked still by the first comment. I love the chart you gave as a guideline and I think it's very important for parents to TEACH children about responsibility and take part in a FAMILY at a young age. That's what helping is about so Thank you for the chart, it'll help me keep track of the responsibility I have to teach my children about their part in our family.

0 9

@Debbie Seale...you went very quiet. I hope it's because you realised how truly ridiculous your comment was! I LOVE the list...thankyou for sharing.

0 8

I have 4 kids (8, 7, 5, and 3) and I agree with Jennifer...my 3 yr old doesn't have set chores, but he loves being a "big boy" like his 2 brothers and sister. He likes to help (keyword: help) the kids with their chores. I love how Jennifer has categorized it by age. I am going to use that to make it easier around here. With my kids with every chore they complete they earn points, and depending on the chore depends how many points they earn for doing it. With these points they can use it like money to buy what they want. I am teaching them with hard work you can get what you earned. The more points they have the bigger the "prize"...

0 0

I just want to add to the first listed commenter. It is people like you who are creating lazy children who feel entitled and selfish in this unforgiving world! Teaching a child responsibility and self worth are important and I'm sure your children will be in scum (sorry for the lack of a better name) category feeding off of those who work for the things in life, not waiting for "mommy" to do it for them.

0 23

I love this list! Thank you for posting - it helps a lot!!

0 0

Fantastic list! Regardless of age, allowing your children to take part in household chores helps them to feel like they are part of the family and that they matter. It's the simplest way to give them a strong sense of accomplishment and self worth.