Can he really do it?

Proudmama143 - posted on 08/21/2017 ( 2 moms have responded )




Ok here's a little background on the situation:
I am 33 and have a 13 year old who is my child that I raised full time and my now ex and I have a one year old daughter. Within the last three years I've moved from California to Texas to Illinois (all for my now ex). My son and I left California to move to Texas to be with my (now ex) in hopes of a great/promising future. I had known him 15 years earlier... leaving Texas to Illinois wasn't and still hasn't been in the plan for the future... I loved Texas and so did my son... but my (now ex) destroyed our foundation and life in Texas and left us practically homeless unless we were to come to his families in Illinois.
Now my (now ex) is a functioning alcoholic, has two kids (in Texas - that he left with their mom) and he's been very unstable for a long long time.
Since living here, we had our daughter, I've acknowledged that he and his family are toxic and I ended things after the drinking and lying finally made me say "ENOUGH!!" It was changing me, effecting my kids a sand it was becoming very unhealthy.
I have decided that I want to move to Texas with our daughter and my son and allow them to grow with their other siblings, in addition to the fact that my son and I felt home there.
Problem is; my now ex told me I cannot and he will not allow me to take my daughter with me or allow me to leave the state. 😥😥
Can he do that? He has two children he doesn't want to be near, and he chooses his job over everything else.
I need help! Can he keep me from taking her back home to Texas???


View replies by

Sarah - posted on 08/24/2017




I see it says someone commented and yet there is no comment posted. Another glitch?

Kelly, you'd be smart to talk to a lawyer. Many shared custody arrangements require the parents to live within a certain distance. If you can demonstrate that moving back to Texas would benefit the kids, you may be able to move. However, you may be expected to pay for a chunk of the cost required for them to see their father. He has a history of non-involvement with his children, so you may have grounds but you really need to talk to a lawyer BEFORE you decide.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms