Changing names

Jen - posted on 03/30/2009 ( 3 moms have responded )




My husband left three years ago and is now filing for divorce on grounds of separation - which is fine by me!

He announced today that he wants me to go back to my maiden name but for our daughter to keep his name. I want to have the same name as my daughter, I also work in my daughter's school and the children (4-11year olds) are used to calling me Mrs Wake - I think a name change would be confusing for everyone, especially my daughter. I don't think he can make me change my name but I'd rather persuade him to let me keep it than fight with him over it.

Any ideas?


View replies by

Val - posted on 03/31/2009




Hi Jen,
You are absolutely right in wanting to keep your name the same as your daughters. It's your name legally now and that's it, period! He can't make you change it. If he doesn't want to be associated by name with you anymore tell him to change his!

Jeanette - posted on 03/30/2009




He cant make you change your name back....its as legal as your maiden name. I got maried took on his name , got divorced went back to maiden name  ,  found it difficult because they would call me mrs (kids surname) If your comfortable using his surname then its not really an issue. He doesnt get a say in the matter really, he gave his name in marriage , you dont just get to take it back. If he

Chantal - posted on 03/30/2009




My ex tried to do the same thing, referring to me by my maiden name and writing checks in my maiden name, although he never came out and announced that he wanted me to go back to it. I just told him point blank that as long as it was my daughters last name, it was my last name. It stopped shortly after. As far as I know he can't change your name for you. Good luck!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms