How can I go back to school full time as a single mom?

Amberlee - posted on 03/26/2010 ( 3 moms have responded )




I am a single mom and I want to finish school to become a teacher so that I can provide a life for my son other than growing up in an apt. and living paycheck to paycheck. I have applied for Financial Aid but the amount I'm offered will not allow me to go to school full time and still pay the bills. I hear all this advertisement for "Obama helping single mom's go back to school" but when I search any of them they just seem to be scams......can anyone give me some assistance on this?!?!?!?!


Kristy - posted on 03/28/2010




In my community there are several ways. Firstly, you need to fill out a form for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). Google it...have your 2009 tax return handy. There is also the Stafford Loan, scholarships, work studies, and in some areas there is free childcare. You can look into many of these options. I'm fortunate that I am living with my mother and utilizing my GI Bill.


View replies by

Tiffany - posted on 06/25/2017




Hi, Kristy I'm looking to complete my education when I came across your post on circle of moms. I noticed you mentioned FAFSA, but also noticed you said you were living with your mother. I also live with my mother, did FAFSA apply to only your information? Or was your mother's income required as well? Thank you.

Franchesca - posted on 03/28/2010




i kno and understand where u are coming from...have u tried looking into pell grants? I kno there are some schools out there that offer single parent pell grants...u jus have to look into them. Have u tried online classes? Those mite help cut some costs too.....

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms