The Circle of Moms site will be discontinued on March 1st, 2020. Head to POPSUGAR Family's Facebook page for more community discussions.

Let's Go >>

how to deal with a deadbeat dad in court?

Jodie - posted on 11/02/2011 ( 2 moms have responded )




I have 2 beautiful children, 5 and 6 years old, both in primary school and their dad has not been in their lives for 5 years...We are going thru court herrings and custody battles and I know im winning, but do I have to wait another 5 years for child support for my babies? is there any way I can have this move a bit faster and how can I really make him suffer....If he dont want to be there for his kids emotionally and he should at least be there for them finacially.....I live in a small rural community in newfoundland canada, and jobs here do not pay high wages and with 2 children and paying a baby sitter is tough...Please help!!!!


View replies by

Karen - posted on 11/15/2011




unfortunately you can't make the courts move any faster. if you can prove that he has worked since you split up you can get a court order for back support for the entire 5 years he hasn't paid & since it would be quite a bit of money FRO (that's what they call it in ontario there will be a program like it in newfoundland) will take the money right off his check (up to half of his check) & take his income tax returns until it's paid off. in ontario there is a single working mom's benefit for child care, it's only $110/month/child but it does help. also what about subsidized child care?

[deleted account]

You should really look into services who help single moms almost every county and state has them possibly even canada. I dont know about your country but in the us unless the childs father actually is ona set payroll they really cant take the money from him. Most dead beat dads find a way of working for cash so they can evade. If you know where he works and that he has a job it certainly helps. ususally they dont go to garnishing wages until he has not made payments after that then he really can get screwed they take it directly from his paycheck thru his work before he even recieves his check..

best of luck to you i hope your case worked out better than mine.. my x fled the country and i know hes making money but its thru subcontracting so they cannot garnish his wages at all

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms