My son has my last name. How can I change his last name to his father's

Alyssa - posted on 09/20/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




My boyfriend and I have been having issues before my son was born which I decided to put my last name on him. After my son was born I have worked things out with my son's Father and I regret not putting his last name. Is there a way I can change my son's last name to his? I live in New York as well


[deleted account]

Well, I'm Canadian, but I might be able to help. I'm going to assume you have to register the baby's birth within 30 days to get medical coverage, birth benefits, birth certificate, a SSN, etc. Here, we call that department "Vital Statistics". I've changed son's last name by calling our Vital Statistics office and having them mail me a "Name Change" form. It cost me just under $200 to do it. That's just an idea to get you started. Good luck!

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms