Should child support increase once child is enrolled in day care?

Gina - posted on 06/11/2012 ( 6 moms have responded )




When my child's father was put on child support, our child was not enrolled in day care. However, now I have to enroll her in day care and the amount he pays doesn't even cover half of the cost for day care. He makes triple what I make so I assume if I turned in her day care information it should increase to help cover half of day care right?! Plus note that our child stays with me every day.


Sheri - posted on 07/16/2012




Anytime a factor in determining child support changes, you can get a child support modification. Factors include income (loss or gain), time with the child, day care costs, medical costs, educational expenses or any other "special needs for the child".

However, in order for you to get a modification you will need to provide proof of the increase in the costs as well as a history of what you have paid and what he has paid.

Tracking and documentation is key and then filling out the paperwork is much easier.

"ending child support conflict"

Jen - posted on 06/12/2012




Gina, talk to him first and ask if he'll help you with it. If not, talk to an attorney. But my ex-husband was SUPPOSED to pay half of daycare, never paid a dime and CSE will not collect it. Child support was not increased because of the daycare costs. It's not a factor. Call an attorney in your area for assistance, most offer a free consultation. But talk to him FIRST.


View replies by

Brandie - posted on 06/12/2012




In PA, domestic relations makes the men pay for their percentage of childcare and it goes straight to your child support card. For example, my ex makes 77% of the "household" income and I make 23%, therefore he has to pay 77% of the daycare cost.

Kristin - posted on 06/12/2012




I live in Canada and when I went to court my ex was ordered to pay a certain amount a month in child support plus he has to pay 50% of section 7 expenses which includes, day care, sports, medical, prescriptions, eye wear. However, good luck on getting him to pay it. I used to submit all my receipts for everything but i gave up as he doesnt even pay child support. But can you not get a government subsidy for day care? I know friends of mine who qualified for subsidy for daycare and they only had to pay 50 to 100 a month. My daycare cost is 750 a month and I get partial sunbsidy so i have to pay 400 a month based on my income (they do not factor in child support as income in canada) I would ask the courts but I am fairly certain he will have top pay half the cost of day care plus his child support

Erin - posted on 06/12/2012




It should increase, he should have to pay half the cost. You will likely need to get a modification of child support with the courts. If he doesn't pay anything you can try a small claims court process to request 50% of the cost of the care, it has worked for some people. Look up your state laws online about child support, look for anything that has to do with child catre costs it may give you a better idea of what to do. Often times though I have to say as much as men whine they often never have to pay any of these costs even though they should have to, even when the law says they should they seem to find some way not have to pay it. Some judges are great about awarding these costs some are lazy or don't even care and don't bother.

Amber - posted on 06/11/2012




Hi, Gina. I have LOTS of experience in this. I was Pro-se for an entire year (still am), while I was going through a court battle last year. It always is going to depend on your state, but here in IL, child care is separate from child support. Basically, you have to get an order for him to pay half. It won't factor into the total amount of child support.

Let me know if you need help with that. Its actually a fairly simple process. Though, I highly recommend you get in touch with legal counsel to be sure this is an accurate statement.

THIS IS NOT A PLUG, as I do not represent the company, but I am an active member of Legal Shield (previously Pre-paid Legal Services). They have been a GREAT help along the way. Might be worth looking into.

I hope it all works out for you. Child care can be SO expensive!

Keep me posted. :)


Amber Rose Gallagher

Catalyst & Coach for Spiritual, Single Moms


Need a break? Come rejuvinate with us in Mexico!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms