Support & disability

Marcie - posted on 04/26/2011 ( 4 moms have responded )




My child's father is on disability. We don't have a support order set up right now. I will be attending College in the fall which means I will be living on a very tight income. Will he be order to pay support, if I bring it to court?


View replies by

Karri - posted on 06/12/2011




If his father is on disability I believe his child should get a check in 1/2 of the amount as the disabled the social security office. and the parent with custody then will have to take the other to court to get that $ in leu of support.

Alisha - posted on 05/04/2011




Yes! Definitely put in an order through child support for him to pay! Have you applied for FAFSA? It is federal government aid for parents to go to school... they give grants which is money you never have to pay back. Look them up on Google.

Jessica - posted on 04/28/2011




my girls' dad is on welfare disability. i had four kids with him. a child support order was done. he is supposed to pay 50.00 a month! he doesn't of course, but it is so little, it would be so easy to pay back. if the father gets ssi, you could get something. in my state a father has no rights even if he goes to court for child support. if your state is different and you don't want him to have rights, i wouldn't. it is so little they have to pay. it would barely help you. but if he still wouldn't have rights, and it won't bring tons of negative in your life, go for it. every little bit helps!

[deleted account]

depending on your state you have to file a child support order you can get it in a Parental rights and responsibilities packet, you can file a paper to get the packet free or discounted if you are eligible. My children's father is on what this state (Maine) calls welfare disability. He is exempt from child support.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms