BLACK MOLD

Cecaila - posted on 06/04/2010 ( 3 moms have responded )

15

11

0

Okay I have a situation, we live in a four bedroom house. Our roof leaks it has for the last 3 years that we have lived here. Now because of that we have black mold all in the kids bathroom, in our dining room and inside our walls in the living room. I have five children two with asthma. Our landlord has been promising us a new roof for the last two years, but we have yet to get one. My husband is really good friends with our landlord, so he does not want to get onto him for not fixing the roof. But I read up on the effects of black mold and it is scary. How can I get it through my husbands head that this is a serious problem? I am having the kids tested for black mold today, and am praying none of them have it in their systems.

3 Comments

View replies by

Dawn - posted on 06/04/2010

489

8

41

You need to contact your city hall to find out who to complain about it if you husband won't or have him go to the doctor with you to find out how bad it is. I lived in an apt with black mold for 3 yrs and developed asthma and have had bronchitis several times all do to the mold. Once I moved out it went away in a month. For the sake of your and your kids health you have to do some thing!

Louise - posted on 06/04/2010

5,429

69

2322

Black mould is not removeable with detergents or insectisides. If in the bathroom it needs to have the units removed and treated before being put back in. Some people use bleach but all this does is make the mould turn white and you think it has gone. Black mould is a fungus that needs to be treated properly. Every house has black mould somewhere. If yours is as bad as you say then I would be concerned too for my children.

Kelly - posted on 06/04/2010

68

52

6

I hope your kids don't have it either, but if they do, maybe it will make your husband finally stand up and take notice! Mold is a serious health issue! And at this point, a new roof is not the only thing you need, if its in the walls it will need to be removed by professionals, you probably shouldn't even be in the house. I don't know if mold is something you can report the landlord on, but you should look into it, it could be a violation.



I'm not sure what to tell you about your husband. How can he ignore the fact that 2 of your children are ill, and that the mold can make the others sick? Maybe you could have the children's doctor talk to him about the adverse health effects.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms