Rayana - posted on 11/16/2015 ( 1 mom has responded )




Hi mommies! I am n desperate need of some advice/answers! I am married but separated. Have been for years. My boyfriend and I Have a child together. I have no birth certificate for her. Never had one. She just turned 8 months old and I am needing to get a birth certificate! I live in Texas and since I am legally still married my boyfriend wasn't able to sign our daughters birth certificate.. What should I do and how should I go about getting a birth certificate for my baby?


Raye - posted on 11/16/2015




If you had the baby in a hospital, they should have created a birth certificate, and if you were married, they may have put your husband's name as the father. Check with the Department of State Health Services and/or Office of Vital Statistics to see if they have one that you can get a copy of. It usually costs a few dollars.

If you had a home birth, the Certificate of Live Birth must be filed with the County Registrar in which you live within a year after the child's birth. The filing of the birth record must be accompanied by a statement from a physician who later gave care to the mother or child, if any, OR a sworn (notarized) statement by a third party present at the delivery or having personal knowledge of the delivery. Check with the Vital Statistics Office to get the correct form to fill out.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms