My daughter just got over a pretty bad cold, what is the best way to disinfect her toys? I heard bleach works but what concentration and should I wash it off afterwards? How about Lysol spray, can it make her sick since she puts everything in her mouth? Thanks..

12 Comments

View replies by

Jana - posted on 01/04/2009

253

11

23

I just have to comment on Crystal S. post - bleach is fine for disinfecting things that need to be disinfected. It has been around for years for just this purpose. If bleach is causing hugh cancer rates don't you think there would be mass media outlets tlling everyone about it. Not using bleach will not protect you from cancer, as well as using bleach will not cause cancer. Cancer is something that isn't prevented from do this or doing that, it is an illness that just happens sometimes beyond anyones control. trust me 2008 was a crappy year for way too many of my friends and family who didn't get cancer from using bleach! I'm not going to comment anymore, but I just had to speak out on that crazy scare tactic that bleach causes cancer.

Catriona - posted on 01/04/2009

3

13

0

Have you heard of Norwex Enviro Products? Norwex makes microfiber cloths that remove and kill more bacteria/germs than bleach and are totally chemical free and environmentally friendly. You use them just with water. Please see (depending on where you live) www.norwex.ca or www.norwex.com for more information and to find a consultant in your area. I am a consultant and have had a totally toxin free house for over 8 months!

Danielle - posted on 01/04/2009

8

20

2

Hi, I asked my Pediatrician this not that long ago & he had a great idea! He said just buy some generic baby wipes in the plastic container(unscented) & pour a bottle of alcohol on them. They stay wet & I pull them out & wipes her toys down from time to time. Be sure & write in black permanent marker on the top of the container that they are cleaning wipes only. Just in case someone tries to use 'em! Also, my Pediatrician said Lysol is one of the biggest scams out there. He said it doesn't kill germs. :(

Kelly - posted on 01/04/2009

3

5

0

If you have a dishwasher, all of the teethers or anything that is dishwasher safe can go in there. The hot water disinfects the best without out all the harsh chemicals.

Nicki - posted on 01/04/2009

170

10

22

dreft laundry detergant also makes wipes to clean with. i use them on my son's toys. also the clothes used to clean boobie pumps can be used to clean toys. i was wondering about all that myself

Stephanie - posted on 01/04/2009

6

11

0

have you tryed using tcp add a cup full or what ever you feel better with to warm water in a old spray bottle and away you go it kills every germ nown to man my daughter has tonsilitus at the minute and she is on the recovery and now i come to think of tcp i will be getting some for wiping her highchair as i swear by it.hope this helps

Crystal - posted on 01/04/2009

34

24

5

Just so you know Lysol is a pesticide! Don't use any of the sprays out there. Most of them are going to do more harm than good.

Crystal - posted on 01/04/2009

34

24

5

Please do not use bleach for anything in your house. Did you know that woman who stay at home or who work out of the home have a 54% higher incidence of cancer than those who work outside the home? It's not because they clean more, it's due to things under the kitchen sink, in the bathroom etc,. It doesn't happen overnight, but overtime. Think about how many times children put toys in their mouths that have been cleaned with toxic products. This is a definition of bleach:



Bleach is a sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), 5.25% solution, mixed with water. When combined with ammonia, chlorine gas is produced which can be harmful or even deadly if inhaled.



It is TOXIC. There are other cleaners out there that are not toxic and are actually approved by the EPA. I love children and hate the rising statistics of cancer in our little ones. I hope this helps someone to know how harmful bleach is. It can also trigger asthma in children.



God bless!

Jana - posted on 01/03/2009

253

11

23

Ok let me type that again... 1/2 cup bleach for every gallon of water. Sitting for 15 mins give time to disinfect, then the rinse and let dry. I think for other bleach concentration levels for cleaning you can go to www.clorox.com Sorry I couldn't type correctly the first time :)

Jana - posted on 01/03/2009

253

11

23

I just saw something about using bleach and I was 1/2 of bleach for every gallon of water. I would fill my sink with water and pour in 1/2 cup to a cup of bleach, let the toys sit for 15 mins then rinse them off and let dry. Quick, easy and clean!

[deleted account]

I use the clorox disinfectent wipes on my sons toys because he puts everything in his mouth too.After I wipe it down with the wipe, I let it sit for a minute then dry it with a paper towel and he's good to go w/ a clean toy!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms